• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Sgt. Baker

Smash Ace
So 2 questions, might be repetitive lol

1. Since there's apparently a tournament going on in the Battle Tower Thread should I hold off posting my Friend Code Data?

2. For that looking for matches we don't have to do just Pika mirrorrs right? Right?

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
So 2 questions, might be repetitive lol

1. Since there's apparently a tournament going on in the Battle Tower Thread should I hold off posting my Friend Code Data?

2. For that looking for matches we don't have to do just Pika mirrorrs right? Right?
1. Nah, you can post your wifi info now if you want.

2. Nope, you can use any character. :)

tibs7

Smash Champion
hey just wondering how pikachu does against wario, was thinking of pulling him out but was to afraid of being *****. if he does ok against him can you give me some pointers about the MU?
cheers.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
its a tough matchup for pikachu, but its managable if you know how to camp well. also bair and uair ***** his aerials pretty badly. dont think that makes it easy though, i would not recommend it unless you know pikachu very well.

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it's that bad, it's really just a waiting game, double jump your tjolts and aim for his head, putting them right onto the ground gives him more reason to jump around. approach carefully with aerials and mix up your game for when he lands (grabs pivot grabs dsmash, tilts, shading) keep track of his fart timer. If you have the lead just make him approach. If he's coming up on his bike from below just wait him out. If he trys to bait you with an aerial from that position just be safe and jump down and footstool. If he's got a good amount of space make a thunderwall and wait for his approach back to the stage. his uair will kill you EARLY, trying to challenge it isn't even worth it, just go to the closest ledge if he's trying to challenge you while you're above. this matchup is campy as all hell but we can win it, he has an advantage but it is far from unwinnable. mix it up.

oh and learn the timing of bite. if you don't feel safe approaching at its end just throw a jolt or space an fsmash.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Pikachu can make a wall of fairs that wario can actually not really do anything about. So camp until you hit him with one and fair away. Yeah he gts fart, but we are more versatile IMO and can do much more things to him. Don't forget about grab release! If they are frantic to get out you can get a footstool or nair (or uair to nair). If not you can get a free jab, but i would suggest FHing a T-jolt backwards.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
yeah the wario matchup never seemed super bad to me, just more of an annoyance, and a campfest. sadly i lost to a wario a couple weeks ago cause i didnt plank the last 30 seconds with a 40% lead, and he got an fsmash that i didnt DI and i died :( LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE lol

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Pikachu can make a wall of fairs that wario can actually not really do anything about. So camp until you hit him with one and fair away. Yeah he gts fart, but we are more versatile IMO and can do much more things to him. Don't forget about grab release! If they are frantic to get out you can get a footstool or nair (or uair to nair). If not you can get a free jab, but i would suggest FHing a T-jolt backwards.
What exactly can Pika do to Wario out of an air release?

I know we can do stuff, but I always go Zelda in this MU for GR > fairs. ............Unfortunately, as fun as those are, it's really easy for Wario to time Zelda out, so I've decided to go Pika from now on. =X

All I need is a nice little list for reference's sake.

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, still, cool stuff. Seems like an all in move to just buffer the dash>>jump for the footstool we could gamble on when behind, like a nine.

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
even cooler. can we pikastorm a ground released wario? if so we could probably buffer the jump no matter what and then if we see he's staying on the ground just time storm. that timing could be next to impossible though, i kinda wanna test it.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I don't think a ground release gives us enough of an advantage for it to be guaranteed.

Not 100% sure, though.

Toby.

Smash Master
You can't pikastorm a ground released wario. Ground release leaves you with a 1 frame advantage, and dair hits on frame 14. I'm not familiar with the frame data for pikachu's jump, but despite that there's no way you'd have a guaranteed dair from grab release.

If you could pikastorm out of a grab release you could just infinitely regrab him out of a ground release, since grab is more than twice as fast as dair.

You'd be better served checking what you can use jab for out of a grab release. If we jab they only have 1 frame before it hits. If you ground release them close to the edge (just too far away for the air release to be guaranteed) you can probably jab to force them off stage. If they PS the jab then the shield push would probably be enough anyway... unless power shielding removes shield push back on multi hit moves.

Naturally there's the issue of them SDI'ing the jab of course.

Just a random thought.

Oh and ESAM, I was under the impression that Wario's bair beats our fair. I tested this quite a long time ago, so it's very possible that I'm not remembering it properly though.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
You'd be better served checking what you can use jab for out of a grab release. If we jab they only have 1 frame before it hits. If you ground release them close to the edge (just too far away for the air release to be guaranteed) you can probably jab to force them off stage. If they PS the jab then the shield push would probably be enough anyway... unless power shielding removes shield push back on multi hit moves.
Pshield = no shield push/stun.

Our jab has balls shield push anyway..... practically none.

The only real benefit to jabbing after a ground release is the possibility of a trip. Otherwise, it's pretty useless.

Toby.

Smash Master
I know if has barely any push, which is why I said we'd have to be almost at the very edge for it to be possible :). But of course that's irrelevant if you're right about power shielding multi hit moves anyway. Moral of the story is that guaranteed followups out of a ground release don't exist for pikachu, unfortunately.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
BTW, I'm pretty sure fair hits through bair. Our hitbox is slightly disjointed while wario's isn't, even though it has higher priority.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I have a question.
I recently discovered that pikachu's QAC if performed correctly, can allow you to footstool your opponent easier.
Is this true?

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
I have a question.
I recently discovered that pikachu's QAC if performed correctly, can allow you to footstool your opponent easier.
Is this true?
A footstool is a footstool. Only requirement is to be close, opponent not doing anything, and you press jump.

It just so happens that oftentimes, with QaC, if you zap your opponent, they are stunned, you may be close, and you press jump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sUyZkqC0sw

Can anyone explain how this is done.
It is done by doing a Quick Attack diagonally towards the top of the ledge. When I say diagonally, I mean up-left-left (so more sideways than up). So its one of the more "wierder" (or non-cardinal) quick attack angles you could do.

If you get that done correctly, then you land almost laglessly on the stage.

Hope that helps.

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes you can qac uair to footstool, but if they're not vulnurable at the time or they just time an attack you get *****.

and cool scar.

altairian

Smash Lord
Some people don't react in time with their shield, or don't know that they can shield.

QAC->nair from the ledge is one of my favorite kills, it depends on them standing in the right spot but it's flashy as **** and demoralizes people ;)

I definitely don't use QAC offensively often since it's so dangerous, but it's definitely something to keep in the arsenal IMO.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
>_> It MIGHT work once in a set. Don't rely on it...ever. Maybe as a random hit that people won't expect...but that works rarely.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I don't think I ever use QAC except for recovery or escape, lol. Been that way since it was discovered. :urg:

altairian

Smash Lord
>_> It MIGHT work once in a set. Don't rely on it...ever. Maybe as a random hit that people won't expect...but that works rarely.
Doesn't pika kind of rely on being unpredictable? XD
Definitely agree to use it sparingly, but it's worth knowing how to do when you see an opportunity present itself. Last time I got a QAC->nair kill in tourney a certain namesearching NY pika was watching and I heard him say "I can't even do that" O_O

Top Bottom