• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Nordal

Smash Lord
Cake is awesome though. Therefore, I bring awesome.

I'm still intent on learning the blackout cake btw. I just need to save some money to actually buy the stuff to make it with.

Nordal

Smash Lord
First you put the ESAM on your ESAM, then you ESAM until you ESAM, then finally you ESAM down to the ESAM to get some ESAM from the ESAM.

Okay I'll move it to the social from now on. I'm done.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
How do I ESAM?
You put your right thumb in, you take your right thumb out, you put your right thumb in and you tap it all-about.

You do the fleedle deedle and you turn yourself around.

That's what it's all about.

I can't believe that worked so well...

Alphicans

Smash Hero
A week from today I am going to a regional and will likely have to go up against Felix and some other diddies, and I really don't have much exp in the pika vs diddy m/u specifically (I know it quite well as my other characters). I think from my knowledge of other characters I'll be able to figure it out, but what are some strategies/character specific tricks I can implement vs diddy?

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
So I was thinking about lucas and his recovery from thunder, and I thought "hey. jump cancelled PSI magnet into PSI magnet.". But it didn't work. Neither does sidestepping or rolling into another PSI magnet, as far as I can tell.

But that got me thinking. Is there any other way to abuse recovery?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Oh, THAT kind of recovery.

The best thing to do is thunder wall like me and mekos do. You should watch our videos against non-GW teams. It's really free, Lucas heals, I'm safe, and they can't really approach THROUGH the wall.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
So what exactly is the timing for pika's "super glide toss?" I was having troubles with it, but then I started setting up buffer windows for myself and found myself getting it pretty much every time. So is the timing just pretty much inputting the throw and roll on the same frame?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Practically instant. I think it is like the first 3 frames of roll or some crap. Just do it really really really really fast and you should get it. If you are just throwing it you are throwing it too early. If you are barely glidetossing you are doing it too slow.

Cassio

Smash Master
iirc its only 1 frame. However its the very first frame so thats fortunate.

I also wouldnt go pika vs diddy. Unless you know the MU really well its pretty bad imo, and by really well I mean it requires lab work.

For ideas on things that dont work, you can watch videos of me playing some pretty good diddys:
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=14167227&postcount=1203
and read ESAMs critique a few posts later and here:
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=14144531&postcount=1853

Also apparently we can upsmash his sideB oos on hit, though you may want to practice it.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I need to learn your set-up, prime. I always just try to footstool start it even though there are clearly better set-ups.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
On a serious note...no. QAing in place is pretty pointless. The hitbox is small, you can be hit in between, it isn't safe on shield, and you could be doing plenty of better things.

Cassio

Smash Master
Gonna have to disagree. QA in place is one of several essential mix-ups if you dont want to get hit everytime you QA to someone, which every pikachu but Anther was bad at.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
If you're playing against casuals, ****ING DSMASH
AND SPOTDODGE-->DSMASH
AND ROLL-->DSMASH
AND FAIR-->DSMASH
AND FOLLOW UP EVERY DSMASH WITH A THUNDER
And jab anyone that's close to the edge.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I saw dsmash > thunder work in tourney.. The guy was being coached but still died to dsmash > thunder twice. Roller and I laughed so much watching Phoenix that set

Plus some casuals know how to get out just cause they deal with it so much.

Phoenix Lord'

Lord' of the Night
Premium
NNID
HououDaimyo1010
3DS FC
3780-9286-8943
dsmash > thunder is a legit kill setup, no amount of coaching can save someone from it. I can't think of any other reason why it would've worked so much otherwise. None whatsoever.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Pika vs Sonic is a really weird MU. Respect his spinning, don't really try to mess with it unless you are going to shoot a thunder jolt/have enough time to put up a thunder wall. YOu will, more than likely, lose the exchange if you try to mess with it. Be sure to capitalize on EVERYTHING he does near you that isn't a spin because that is when you should be getting all of your damage.

Top Bottom