• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I'm assuming you are talking about the part that goes up since the other parts are amazing for us. If he is above you, stay below and watch for his grenades. If you are below him, shoot T-jolts and watch out for his grenades and surprise DJ uair or nair from below. THe boat is amazing for us because of d-tilt lock and we can get our CG still, and the upper part is the best part of the level for us. We can walk him off on either side (depending on how far it is) F-throw him against the first wall, D-throw CG him in the reset (free kill), and pressure nicely. Watch videos of me vs MVD if there are any on that level.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
upper part also has slants which will end or prolong thr CG dependant on direction.

Top part of RC is really ground favoring though with those walk offs.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
just saying there are slants though, so getting a walk off CG isn't like it is on CS.

Also during the top part, juggle Snake to hell and back since he can't be anywhere that there isn't ground under, meaning:

he went high - thunder
Landing on platform - pressure with uair under platforms
Landing on the ground - get him back in the air, nice old pivot grab to uthrow/dthrow on his landing or w/e

Just a general gist, sure there more that can be done.

Landry

Smash Ace
So, I've been working on buffering my grabs a lot recently and I think I've gotten the hang of it with d throw. It's my understanding that this is possible to do with a dash and usmash out of f throw too. Is there a thread where I can read up on that, or any basic info you guys could give me to help me understand the timing of the buffer? Thanks.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
For fthrow > usmash, you buffer a dash during the last 10 frames of fthrow, then usmash. The timing's easy to get down as long as you buffer the dash correctly.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Good? No, Snake as a character does fine on that stage all together as long as he doesn't do something stupid during the rising up part. He can get the positional advantage during the boat and top.

Player CP (Counter picking the player, not the character)? Works wonders.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Not completely sure, someone probably knows better than me, but maybe the game thinks you landed on the stage even though you're barely off of it so you don't grab the ledge and you also don't go into the helpless mode. I see it happen to wolfs a lot.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
Hiya! I'm new to Smashboards and the Pika forums so I figured I would just put my question here...

I was playing on smashville, and this happened...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UetJM_ZNoLQ

I was hoping I could get an explanation on what happened...

Sorry if this was already asked.
Welcome!
And yeah, that was probably the game messing up.

If you can successfully start doing that at will, though, let us know. Some sort of auto ledge cancel or whatever it would be called would be so **** to have.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Would it be possible to qa ledge cancel without snapping and then pika scar back onto the stage so you could perform a no lag fsmash?

Essentially, I'm thinking about a quick attack to smash with no lag like what we can normally do with specials after a quick attack.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Personally, I use: tap jump off, Y grab (for CGs), L jump (for jumping OOS, lagless tjolts, autocanceled dair, & QAC jumps).

Works best for me since I have slower fingers and suck at moving my thumb from X > A/B.

Zodiark

Smash Apprentice
Does the QAC should be used often?I've seen many pika players use it very well but I'm actually afraid of the phantom lag and I don't really use it in a real match. Maybe I should?

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I used to use default controls for the longest time, but now I use tap jump off and shield+jump on the d-pad. :3

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I'm already mashing special with my right hand though. :o
To mash I use:
Left - Control stick, shield, and jump.
Right - C-stick, special, and attack.

Also, I hate using the shoulder buttons for mashing. It feels like it slows me down when I'm mashing the other buttons.

Yikarur

Smash Master
ah okay. How fast can you switch your handling? thats my main problem with your kind of mashing xD

Yikarur

Smash Master
then you're doing it wrong! xD you just need to touch Z with the tip of your index finger and slides down the Z button! :p

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
DON'T TELL THEM THE SECRET YIKARUR

I use tap jump off, X special (Quick jolts) and L to attack (Mostly so when I have to scratch my nose I can still use tilts and such)

Zodiark said:
Does the QAC should be used often?I've seen many pika players use it very well but I'm actually afraid of the phantom lag and I don't really use it in a real match. Maybe I should?
Honestly, QAC is very situational. If your opponent doesn't know its weakness (the super hurtbox) it is really good for overwhelming them. If they do, use it sparingly for positional advantages (they are in the air to the right of you, so you QA under them and use a dair or nair to hit them). If you don't use it now, start slowly incorporating it into your style. Trust me, it does help.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Hmm so many different combinations.

Like I generally allow myself to use Y and R for my "open buttons" since I use X to jump and L to shield. I do find it hard to buffer CG with Z though :( I also to find it hard to QAC in rapid succession with Tap Jump Off.

The reason I ask this is because I am considering picking up Pikachu to hard counter the spacies' players and sheik main in my area. I know somewhat how to play Pikachu but I was wondering if its feasible/worth it to pick him up just for those MUs when I have 2 characters already. Thoughts?

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I mean, I don't see the reason for Y specials either (or a-stick :glare:), but people still do it lol.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
*shrugs* I played fine with it since I didn't use the C-stick in melee. I try to play like that now and I wonder how the **** I could do f-throw u-smash with 100% consistency...

Hael Phael

Smash Ace
I like z grabbing but everyone thinks i'm weird, I feel that the snap i get from the z button makes it easier for me to time it but that's just me

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
why do people change the grab button for CGs? it's so easy to do with Z.
I mean, I don't see the reason for Y specials either (or a-stick :glare:), but people still do it lol.
I use Z for really precise shielding. I don't need to move my finger immediately when I am finishing a grab (because of the time to buffer things) that I can have my thumb over X+whatever button I need to do at the same time instead of using time to move.

Roller

Smash Legend
Idk about Z-grab being eaiser. But I use it and cg just fine. I mainly use the cstick for running usmashes and reversed momentum aerials. As long as you don't use the cstick much, I don't see a problem with setting it to grab. But if you rely even partially on the availability of the c-stick, then imho it is easier to just learn the cg with Z, than to rework your controls.

But it is mostly personal preference, so whatever you think will allow your gameplay to feel most natural.

_umbra_

Smash Champion
I have never changed any of my controls and I can still do things fine... having a bit of trouble learning QA lock but I'm sure it'll get easier with practice ^_^

Top Bottom