• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
He either saw wrong or saw Anther QA along a flat surface.

There's no way to do both parts of QA in the air in the same direction.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
He was wrong. It is impossible. Your friend probably saw the closest angles possible if he was really in the air, but he wasn't in the air doing 2 of the same angle.

Zodiark

Smash Apprentice
Need help with Falco MU . Most of ppl says it's something like 80-20 but I never 2 stocked a good falco . That's close between Reil(good falco player from France) and me and I've seen Miquel get ***** by Kasper at BBI . Get the grab isn't really the easiest thing to do , he can camp us with his Laser D: .

So , do I have to still crouched to avoid that ****in' laser or rush to try to get a grab?
The problem is that if I rush onto him he'll can grab me before I grab him . I don't have any videos yet D: .

I hope someone will help me ._.

sorry for the bad english

Roller

Smash Legend
Your English is actually better than a lot of forum goers. lol

And the mu isn't THAT good imo. More like 65-35. ESAM gave some good advice a while back saying to just crouch at the very edge of the stage.

Falco has to approach. Then mindgames come into play. But getting the one grab shouldn't be THAT hard. You can also powershield his lazers, or if he is shdl'ing you can just run up.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Technically, Falco doesn't have to approach. But neither does Pikachu.

I'd love to see a match where both people just sit there for 8 minutes, lol.

EDIT: Falco can also do the thingything Rain did at Apex where they run off the stage and laser as they come back on. You'll be forced to shield those or hang out on the opposite ledge.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
It is really easy to see lasers coming, you can just shield them...you don't even need to PShield.

At the beginning try to hit him first with a T-jolt or uair. Getting a 6% lead is enough to make him approach. We can crouch under all lasers besides the DJing back on lasers, but those are easily shieldable and very predictable.

After that, it is mind vs mind. Will you pick the right option or will he? Your punish is bigger either way and you can catch-up way faster than Falco can.

70-30, especially with the d-throw uair thing now.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Uh, it's just as easy to see tjolts coming. And if you're approaching to get a uair, you're still the one approaching.

Not disputing the ratio, but Falco isn't forced to do jack like people always say he is.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Not at the beginning. Get a lead, it is easy. If you have a T-jolt out they have 3 options. Shield, shine, jump. If they jump, get under them and hit them. If they shield, throw another T-jolt out. If they reflect, QA over and get some damage. It doesn't matter if you get 1% or 30%, GET SOMETHING.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Probably.

The hole in your argument is that you're saying Falco's camp is so easy to get around while Pika's is apparently flawless. The fact is that it's a rock-paper-scissors sort of thing..... either player can pick the wrong option, take damage, and then be forced to approach. Imo, the beginning of the match isn't as lopsided in Pika's favor as you're making it seem, but then again, I play against extremely patient people who don't get agitated and rush in.

EDIT: I will say that in most cases, Falco will end up having to approach. But I wouldn't say it's so "easy" to make that happen.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I'm not saying Pika's camp is flawless. If we are in the lead we crouch and he has only a few options. He has the stage jump laser, and then actually approaching. He then has DACUS, dash attack, F-tilt, D-tilt, Jab, and Grab. All of those but grab lose to shield, so shielding is a good option. If you notice the range of his grab you can tell if he is going in for one and sidestep/roll accordingly.

For the damage thing, I think it is MUCH easier to take Falco's first stock than vice-versa. His CG does 50%, ours does 110%. I just never have problem hitting Falco at the beginning, even DEHF in friendlies at the last MLG.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
You lost me at "if we are in the lead," because my statement was talking only about the very beginning of the match when both people are at zero.

The only point I brought up is that neither Falco nor Pikachu has to approach at the beginning of the match, and you seemed to be challenging that. Dunno where the rest of your debate came from. x.o

EDIT: Maybe I should've made it more clear that I meant the very beginning of the match, but I thought that'd be obvious from Roller's post.

The Truth!

Smash Ace
I used to play larry quite a lot. I tried different ways of approaching the MU, the most affective I had was playing him normally.

The problem with waiting for them to approach is even if you can force him to approach, its not going to lead to a grab. If youre just sitting there hes not going to attack you with moves in your grab range, he's going to ftilt you, jab you, or maybe grab you. If you powershield either of the first two you can punish him, but not with a grab, and if you do go for the grab like he'll expect then you'll get punished. Expecting youll be able to beat falcos camp or approach game with just grab and not approaching is heavily underestimating falco. The only exception is if the falco fishes for the grab himself; pika has the tools to get his grab before falco if thats what both are trying to do.

Personally Ive found the best way to get the grab is to play the MU normally and just wait for the grab to come in its natural course. Falcos are forced to play a very limited playstyle just by the grabs existence and its very noticeable. For them it ends up as a screwed if you do screwed if you dont scenario bc if they play their limited style their going to get hit with a lot more and that makes it easier for them to fall into the grab, but if they try to play normal one read can cause them to get grabbed. At the very least theyll take way more damage then they normally would.

Anyways, bc of that I dont think youll be beating a falco thats actually better than you. If you cant land consistent hits anyways then youre going to lose most likely. But if youre playing someone even remotely on your own level then the pika will probably win an overwhelming majority of the time (unless youre camping for grabs, lol).

Granted I still fish for grabs 90% of the time bc it definitely requires less thinking or just to see what works, lol. Anyways thats my thoughts.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Oh my bad Kaylo, sowwies.

Yeah, at the beginning neither of us have to approach, but I feel like it is easier for us to get a lead than the other way around.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
This doesn't answer your question at all, but why not just say QAC > dair? You made it sound so complicated, lol.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Cause someone could have interpreted that as QAC > Dair. As in jump out of the QA and dair, ...which I'm sure is never a combo.

So idk. I like complicated more than misunderstanding.
Oh.

I still misunderstood you, because a ground canceled dair doesn't exist. :urg: I get what you meant now though.

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
lol, and I didn't see you say "QAC > Dair". I read it as "QA > Dair" -_-
Well then what's it called when pika just smashes his head into the ground and the little shockwave comes out?

Probably about 10-15% lower than the true combo percents for QAC>Nair.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=287682
That's unfortunate. I was hoping for something a lot better than that. I'm trying to find ways of punishing marth more. I was thinking QA > Dair for everytime he lands with a fair/nair/whatever causes a little lag.

BlueZebra

Smash Journeyman
Hi guys, I've been trying something new lately and I'm kinda surprised I haven't seen videos of pika's doing this...

At some point in the match if they're at a good kill percentage and vertically high enough yet horizontally far enough from you to notice you running towards them for the thunder, I sometimes QA towards the ground right below them into thunder, I've once even used it to approach quickly enough to kill with T2.

Is it too predictable or are there any consequences to this type of killing move?

PZ

Smash Lord
It was used sometimes but people dont qac that much to use everything out of qac so its sometimes use but very punishable by characters with disjoints or people who can PS it easily.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
i did QaC > footstool yesterday on halberd.. I dunno if its cause he was just jumping or the stage pushed him up (it was before the lift off part)

Think might be a good set up?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
QA footstool isn't a legit combo unless its very high %s...we should figure out when lol because we can get footstool uair.

Milkncookies

Smash Rookie
Q. Who is the best Pikachu player?
Anther.

Other top Pikas include PikaPika!, Z, and ESAM. Miquel from Spain and Yonesuke from Japan are also very good.

How do I get known as better than them^

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Pikachu does really well, he's one of the few tournament viable characters. What region do you live in?

Tagxy

Smash Lord
QA footstool or QA uair footstool regarding ussis post? Is it possible to QA footstool?

Also ive realized connecting a QA and nair isnt nearly as easy as just QA next to them and nairing :( its actually kind of difficult. connecting QA and uairing isnt too bad though.

Top Bottom