• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Zodiark

Smash Apprentice
How to platform aerial cancel , I get owned by Dair's lag each time I try . Should I "ThunderStorming Platform Aerial Cancel" ? Or am I wrong?

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Hold down on the control stick and jump at a platform. As you're passing through the platform, while still holding down, press up on the c-stick. That's the way I do it.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
Would Pikachu be worth picking up just to go against MK I already play D3 and Marth but the MK match-up is almost impossible for them and I dont enjoy playing Falco or Snake....

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I would say... no. I do better against MK as Peach than Pikachu, and that says something because Peach also has a horrible MU against him. If you don't like Snake, then perhaps do what San does and space the hell out of those MK's with Ike.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
E, Pikachu doesn't do that badly vs. MK lol. If you're doing better with Peach, your Peach is probably just better than your Pika.

@GreenFox: I wouldn't suggest picking up Pika solely for MK..... Pika does better than a lot of other characters, but it's still a solid enough disadvantage (somewhere between 45:55 and 40:60). And Pika takes a lot of dedication, especially for a MU like this one.

Honestly, just pick a character you feel comfortable with that doesn't get ***** by MK, be it Pika or someone else. Or pick up MK himself and learn the ditto. You can't CP him, so that's the best you can do if you don't like Snake or Falco.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
Snake and Falco are both around 44:55 and playing Pikachu is much more fun to me although I might pick up Falco for it. I just need some more opinions because Pikachu seems like a solid choice for MK since D3 and Marth cant do crap against MK

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
If you like playing Pika, go with Pika. It's a winnable matchup, but Pika has a high learning curve past the basics, so you're gonna have to put some work in to see any results.

And by work, I mean actual playing experience vs. MKs, not just practicing techs and whatnot.

abhishekh

Smash Journeyman
Stupid question about practicing chain grabs. This was probably answered elsewhere/asked before, but whatever.

I don't have anyone I can play with, except for tourneys. Pretty much no one lives nearby. So is there any way I can know if I'm buffering chain-grabs correctly without having someone DI for me or whatever? I sort of feel bad asking people to help me practice at tourneys, because I can see how it might be boring for them.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Zodiark

Smash Apprentice
Would Pikachu be worth picking up just to go against MK I already play D3 and Marth but the MK match-up is almost impossible for them and I dont enjoy playing Falco or Snake....
Marth-MK isn't impossible , I think its even . I don't know in USA but you should watch europe matches like Mr.R-Kaos or Leon-Kaos :chuckle:

_umbra_

Smash Champion
matchup threads are almost always ********, don't trust them lolll

that being said though, mk beats marth by a decent amount... but it's far from impossible.

why not try diddy?

PUNK9

Smash Journeyman
matchup threads are almost always ********, don't trust them lolll

that being said though, mk beats marth by a decent amount... but it's far from impossible.

why not try diddy?
Why don't trust matchup threads? They seem pretty good to me.

And I was just messing around and I found something and I was wondering if this is a reliable combo, or if it's just because I'm playing against an opponent that isn't moving x]

Pika VS MK
0% each, all moves fresh,
Pika d-throws, and as MK is falling down, ftilt, and MK goes backwards, and you turn around and grab him, and start the buffer d-throw CG.
I seems to be working for me, but like I said, I'm playing against "P2" with no one on the other end, lol.
But yeah, is that reliable or what?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Marth vs MK is Marth vs Marth that drank red bull. Its a ditto MU that sucks cause MK does everything Marth does except an anti-aerial game on the ground.

.. That said, i like Pika vs MK.. Though i've started to just go Ike after learning to avoid getting gimped predictablely.

Imo beating MK is just knowing MK better than the other person.

@leaf doesn't matter what aerial, you just have to FF it.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Why don't trust matchup threads? They seem pretty good to me.

And I was just messing around and I found something and I was wondering if this is a reliable combo, or if it's just because I'm playing against an opponent that isn't moving x]

Pika VS MK
0% each, all moves fresh,
Pika d-throws, and as MK is falling down, ftilt, and MK goes backwards, and you turn around and grab him, and start the buffer d-throw CG.
I seems to be working for me, but like I said, I'm playing against "P2" with no one on the other end, lol.
But yeah, is that reliable or what?
MK can spot dodge or attack you before you can grab, but it can work if they're not expecting it. I'd rather go for the guaranteed damage though and do fthrow > upsmash at 0%. But if it works for you, then keep doing it until they learn to avoid it.

PUNK9

Smash Journeyman
MK can spot dodge or attack you before you can grab, but it can work if they're not expecting it. I'd rather go for the guaranteed damage though and do fthrow > upsmash at 0%. But if it works for you, then keep doing it until they learn to avoid it.
Thank youu KPrime ^^

So I'm having a bit of trouble with the Platform Cancelling,
Is it reallly good to know? should I try to learn it? Or is it like not worth it or what?
plus any tips?

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Hellu Pikachu Boards, you might be seeing me a lot here in the next little while asking questions about your character and how they perform on a certain stage.
Character boards seem to cycle through incomplete MU threads to new ones in hope to update them and finally complete them. This is the R.O.B. Boards attempt at completing a sufficient stage-discussion thread and I'm going to try my best to get accurate and thorough information, but I'll need your help. This will be the only question with an introductory. I just wanted to say hello and let you know that if you guys need info on anything for R.O.B. don't hesitate asking. ^_^

Anywho!

Q: How does Pikachu fair off on Delfino Plaza in general and against R.O.B.. Why is it good or bad? What can Pikachu abuse and what might possibly annoy you that R.O.B. can do on this stage? On a scale of 1 - 10, what do you see Pikachu's chances of doing well on this stage against R.O.B. 1 being the worst for you 10 being the best.

thanks guys =]
<beep3

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
first off, delfino is a really good stage in general for pikachu. its various phases allows for pikachu to use his mobility to its fullest, and a lot of the transformations has various ways to abuse. now for rob.

robs main strengths over pikachu are his camping and spacing games. properly spacing with tilts at close range and raining projectiles at us from far range can keep pikachu at bay. the spacing of delfinos platforms allow us to get over and around you fast, without being so low that they block off your diagonal blind spot for you. rob does have a very viable sharking game though, and this could be used on the platform part to really hound pikachu. if rob stays on stage during the platform parts, i think he is at a disadvantage, whereas if he whores the ledge and sharks he is at a big advantage (this all depends on LGL rules of course). when the stage lands, it becomes more of a conventional stage. at that point i think for the most part it gives rob the advantage. at that point he can abuse his projectiles and spacing to its fullest, requiring a bit more effort on our part to break his camp. overall though, i would still cp this on a rob, though if there is no lgl i would not ever cp this stage. i would say 7/10 with lgl, maybe 4/10 without it

HotWings

Smash Ace
Should i either

A.) Pick 1 main

B.) Pick 1 main and 1 alt

C.) Pick random

D.) Counter pick

Now the reason why i ask this is because i have a hard time just staying with 1 character because i never think i picked the right character and sometimes i just get bored lol. I really do want to take this game to the next level and kickass in tournaments but 1st i have to know what im going to do.

I really do enjoy ice climbers but they cant bthrow > dthrow > bthrow > dthrow > rinse and repeat on every character... or at least i cant, i can only do it on MK and Pikachu.

So i was thinking about counter picking which i think is very uncommon and thats what i want to be, i dont want to be just another brawler you know, i like to be different.

I like winning.. who doesnt so why not make the game easier for me to win and just counter pick?

If someone could.. can someone send me a link of all the MUs and all the counter pick stages as in what the best stage is for every character and whats the worst stage for every character.

Thank you all for reading all of this and i hope someone can help me out on this. Oh and dont forget the links

PZ

Smash Lord
Thank youu KPrime ^^

So I'm having a bit of trouble with the Platform Cancelling,
Is it reallly good to know? should I try to learn it? Or is it like not worth it or what?
plus any tips?
Not really needed but its a good mix up and if you want to practice it try using diddy its so easy with him from wut ive seen.I think its a little hard timing for pikachu cuz his jump is a little big as ing high in length.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Hello ^_^ I don't wish to bother anyone, but could someone be so kind as to direct me to the Anther Valentine thread <3 Thank you darling

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Thank you so much, Stealth Raptor! <pikapiiii3
If anyone else has anything to add, feel free!
It would be appreciated a beepton! =]

_Kain_

Smash Champion
does uneven ground on stages (Lylat, YI) affect Pika's CG on spacies?

TheOriginalSmasher

Smash Ace
Should i either

A.) Pick 1 main

B.) Pick 1 main and 1 alt

C.) Pick random

D.) Counter pick

Now the reason why i ask this is because i have a hard time just staying with 1 character because i never think i picked the right character and sometimes i just get bored lol. I really do want to take this game to the next level and kickass in tournaments but 1st i have to know what im going to do.

I really do enjoy ice climbers but they cant bthrow > dthrow > bthrow > dthrow > rinse and repeat on every character... or at least i cant, i can only do it on MK and Pikachu.

So i was thinking about counter picking which i think is very uncommon and thats what i want to be, i dont want to be just another brawler you know, i like to be different.

I like winning.. who doesnt so why not make the game easier for me to win and just counter pick?

If someone could.. can someone send me a link of all the MUs and all the counter pick stages as in what the best stage is for every character and whats the worst stage for every character.

Thank you all for reading all of this and i hope someone can help me out on this. Oh and dont forget the links
B. The Alt could serve as your best counter pick.

Top Bottom