• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

PANTSMAGEE

Smash Apprentice
I've watched anther play, but don't notice any QACs. Are they worth learning/performing?
Also is pika an arial, ground or spammer(I mean which type of fighter is he)
I'm new to pika(came from ICs) so which is the optimum approach also(I see bair alot but it has ending lag...)

Kantō

Smash Champion
i like to play spammy sometimes, but he has good air/ground game if you know what your doing. pika has some good CG's and his fair and utilt can lead to some really good combos. as far as the QAC goes, im still learning myself. i find it useful in diffferent ways, but the QAC is nothing to be messing around with in serious play if you dont know how to correctly use it IMO.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
I've watched anther play, but don't notice any QACs. Are they worth learning/performing?
Also is pika an arial, ground or spammer(I mean which type of fighter is he)
I'm new to pika(came from ICs) so which is the optimum approach also(I see bair alot but it has ending lag...)
QAC is definitely worth learning, and is a great way to surprise your opponent. However, it is easily punishable by a lot of characters, so don't overuse it, or you'll end up QAC'ing into (insert highly painful move here).

As for your other questions, pikachu can do some of each. Sit back and T-jolt camp some characters(anyone without a projectile/reflector/absorber), whilst with others you have no choice but to approach (Those that have better projectiles then you do, and people with absorbers). The type of approach depends on the character. Going in the ground against a snake will get you murdered, whilst going against a zelda through the air is plain suicide. However, in general I prefer to approach with a fast-falled f-air and hopefully catch them into a combo. But don't settle too much in to a playstyle, as one of pikachu's strengths is unpredictability.

altairian

Smash Lord
...I'm curious what Anther videos you're watching that he doesn't QAC in? Some games he racks up like 20% just quick attacking through his opponent over and over till they figure out where their shield button is :p

But yeah people pretty much covered the QAC issue, don't overuse it :p

PANTSMAGEE

Smash Apprentice
...I'm curious what Anther videos you're watching that he doesn't QAC in? Some games he racks up like 20% just quick attacking through his opponent over and over till they figure out where their shield button is :p

But yeah people pretty much covered the QAC issue, don't overuse it :p
I'm watching the videos where he is against pros(well known at least)
and thanks everyone for being helpful

PANTSMAGEE

Smash Apprentice
One more question, who is a good secondary for pikachu?(and don't even bother saying meta knight)
and list them from best choice to kinda worst

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Best to worst?

Snake/MK (I'd say Snake is marginally better)
Marth (if you can handle MK with Pika)
DK
People used to have ZSS on this list, but I'm not sure if that still applies in the current metagame (I don't really follow her MUs).

I'm thinking of using Peach for Diddy/Olimar, but other than those two, she doesn't make any other MUs much easier (except maybe ICs?).

You say "don't even bother saying MK," but he's the best character in the game, lol. Granted, I'd still go with Pika for other MKs unless you're really confident in MK dittos, but assuming you end up with a halfway decent MK, he has no disadvantaged MUs.

PUNK9

Smash Journeyman
Personally, my secondary is Marth,

Great Agastist pika's hardest Match-ups.
Ex: Oli

Also Marth does decent agesntst MK
Plus I mained him before I main Pikachu. So yeah

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Falco is amazing.

Nuff said.

You eliminate a lot of bad matchups, and the only one that is still bad is marth.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Falco is amazing.

Nuff said.

You eliminate a lot of bad matchups, and the only one that is still bad is marth.
Lol, I have a hard time imagining you playing Falco.

Don't you have to..... you know..... camp? =P

Frio

Smash Champion
I just second people who make me feel safer in my personal bad match ups >_> I don't even follow the match up threads for the characters. Ex: I second Snake and Oli. I'll use Oli against MK just because I feel safer camping with him. And I use Pika vs Marth since I'm use to that match up. But I mostly only use Pika. I only use Oli for a few characters and Snake for this one guy I vs lol ^-^

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
If it matters, I 2nd Ike, though only MU Ike really does better is IC (I have done this 4 times though where i switch to Ike against IC in tourney) Luigi, and marginally G&W.. Not really a stellar and desirable pick now though but does have a nice "wtf" ring to it :bee:.

Kantō

Smash Champion
what is the general strat for teamplay with pika? i want to up my teams game a bit and am not sure how to do so.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
what is the general strat for teamplay with pika? i want to up my teams game a bit and am not sure how to do so.
IT largely depends on how you play.

a popular team combination is "big guy-little guy", where you (pika is a little guy that is fast) just focuses on keeping one opponent at bay and rushing towards your teammate if he's getting chaingrabbed or combo'ed and saving him. The other teammate is supposed to be broken or strong so that he lands early kills easily and you cut off the victim's defensive space (2 on 1 sort of). You're main objective is to keep the other offstage or at bay somehow (t-jolts while rushing towards the other side or mix in QaC whenever your opponent starts camping--you want him to) while you double team his partner.

I love teams.

My personal 3-step strategy is like this:

1) 2 vs. 1

2) Make opponents hit each other (constant freindly fire)

3) Synergy

Other little tid-bits. If your marked opponent is camping, forget about him indefnitely (unless it's falco) and attack his partner or support your partner. the beauty of teams, very few campy characters can camp because they'll come running when their partner is getting the crap beaten out of him.

Grabs are good, Use them to send opponents back at their teammates. They'll both have to come at you (getting in each other's way) or have to come one at a time which you can exploit.

Get good at fighting mobs. On 1vs1, things like d-smash and thunder people look out for a lot more. In 2vs2, pika's mobbing BOOM and multi-hit moves just screams get off of me and makes pika a VERY good mobber when the time comes when 2 are going after you.

I just let my partner do his job (surviving) while I t-jolt from the other side. eventually, the opponents will have to go after me. I then take the person on (with a mental note to myself that my main purpose is to let my partner finish off the opponent partner). If 2 are after me, then that is a LOT more FUN! Cuz at that time, both of them have their eyes off my partner which can lead to more combo and stuf... also i aim to make the opponents hit each other and mob in between.

This only works if you are confident that your partner can handle himself against any opponent individually (why would you choose a partner who can't handle people by himself?!... that's just asking for a hostage situation.... skilled experts don't do that in real life (so much) why should you? Pika is not meant to be used to pick up most of the slack.)

So yea. I might elaborate more later or if you have any more questions, but look up the team partner's thread and practice. HAVE FUN ^_^.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Team with a character who can 1v2 and get kills..... like Snake or G&W. Pika can't really kill effectively even in teams except for KOs off of thunder setups. And for the most part, Pika works best as a support buddy, not the main fighter.

Don't team with another lightweight (G&W is an exception). Pika can somewhat stock tank, but if stock retention is all on you, it'll probably fail. (I have an easier time holding stocks with Zelda, tbh........)

From personal experience: Don't team with Peach, Marth, or Zelda. DDD is a meh partner. ROB is okay, but killing can be a problem. TL is fun to team with if you like to spam projectiles.

Best teammates are Snake and G&W, imo.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
When teaming with my pika partner I expect thunderkills whenever possible (especially since I am GaW), if there's time filling up my bucket, saving me when needed with upB or if necessary t-jolt, and using dsmash as often as possibly to create 2v1 scenarios.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
esam- did you pick up falco largely due to your brother?
I originally picked him up to help my bro with the matchup, but I started winning when i was like 2 days old as a falco, so i stuck with him. Now i will use him for certain CPs and characters.

Kantō

Smash Champion
Thanks for the advice on doubles play guys. I didn't realize that pika would be the support and not the killer. Good yhingcuz I'm teaming with a game and watch next tourney LOL

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I always play aggressive in teams and have a heavy character as my stock tank...maybe that's why I'm not that good in teams lol.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Well, Pika does have his killing avenues. His chaingrab is stilll beast, and if you can beast in solo, you can beast in teams (so long as your partner does his job). That aside, double is still... 'doubles'. It's very different than singles.

But, in general, pika's comparative advantage is zone control with his ability to stop people from crossing the air (thunder wall), the ground (t-jolt) and from crossing pikachu in general (d-smash/grabs/b-air/and_other_things_that_suck_ppl_in). In teams, little deterrants like this work far better for the long run in doubles as opposed to singles--when opponents are separated, pika can likely KEEP them separated. Then the partner of pika can pick off the opponents one by one in his own little dark alley while pikachu plays gatekeeper.

That's just my flamboiant (yea i think i definitely butchered this word <<<) take on doubles. I recently had a fun one at tourney grand finals and hope to post some up for lols.

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
At what percentages will a fresh uair combo into a buffered dj nair on heavies/lighties?

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
If you can catch them while they're still on the ground, a uair out of qac will combo into nair for a good while, if the nair is fresh it probably even goes up until kill percent. You should be worried if the uair is stale so the knockback keeps you in nair range, if the uair is fresh you're probably safe until it's stale.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
SO I was messing around with pikachu in practice mode, and I found something that looked useful for gimping. I wouldn't be surprised if it were old, but you never know. Basically, doing QA from the edge to hit an opponent offstage and gimp them, and then returning to the edge with the second QA.

That's:

> ------- "then"
>> ----- "then quickly"
>>> --- "then very quickly"

For upward only:
(While holding ledge) press down > QA up >> QA2 back to ledge

For all:
(While holding ledge) press back >>> QA >> QA2 back to ledge

It looks like it would be good for predicting and then eating up second jumps, and then edge guarding the following forced up-b. I can do this up, down, outwards, and diagonally in all directions. It takes some decent tech skill to do, since you can't ledge drop down by pressing down, other than the up one.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
It's useful enough. It can surprise-gimp some characters and is a fairly easy way to take away someone's second jump if they're within range..... easy for them to avoid it once they know to look out for it, though.

QA also has really bad priority, so you have to be careful to not get stage spiked/hit if they predict it.

tha_carter

Smash Ace
what kinda man calls himself Eternal SAMus, has a samus icon, but uses falco and pika? smh

=D

What kinda tips do yall have for pika vs swordsmen?

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
What kinda tips do yall have for pika vs swordsmen?
Reply: Previous Quote from long ago.

Although not a walk in the park, I really do like the marth matchup. I am in a PR region where the PR 1 is a marth (my goal is to TAKE HIM OUT!). I've faced both kadaj's marth (once) and lost narrowly and HRNUT's marth (lost on pools barely but I won one in a friendly afterwards before brackets were up).

I'd have to say the most fast-falled ANYTHING... never really works in most situations of approaching for me against marth. Marth just dolphins both d-air and ff f-air if you are within kill range or takes it with shield/spotdodge and sword dances which almost always comes out before much anything else. Most of the time, marth is f-airing within that range so rarely will you find yourself above him and be able to fast fall through a zoned marth f-air.

Fast falled stuff work more when juggling, falling through platforms, and when you are defending and counterpunching--not as much when pika is approaching.

On the marth matchup, reading is everything (but then again... it applies to everyone else... lol :p). Marth's can approach with:

1) walk(run)>shield>(sword dance); (all purpose [hit/kill/shieldcripple] move)
2) walk(run)>shield>defensive rising SH f-air (tip lands on victim sheild and marth does not advance further);
3) walk(run)>shield>aggressive SH-f-air (most of the time its a mis-spaced f-air where you rush inwards while shielding more than marth expected... that or you are blocking/dodging/avoiding his defensive f-air real consistantly; this less conservative variant of f-air also arises when marth senses that pika is a spamming jolter and wants to swat both pika and t-jolt in one fell swoop)
4) Walk(run)>pivot/go other way>mindgamed aerial/reverse swordsdance (used against an aggressive shieldgrabbing opponent)
5) Walk(run)>mindgamed grab (used against rushing shielders)

Of course there are infinitely many more options, but its a good start for beginners to wrap their head around, since the other marth options are going to result from mostly mindgame anyways (which you just have to read/expect or get owned).

I would try to jolt until marth is at least 1/3 FD distance away. Once marth passes that imaginary point for me, i'd rush in with shield or jump in place. I'd jump in place if i expect a mindgamed grab/swordance/plainshield from marth and try to punish with another spaced tjolt (on ground in front of marth so he can't powershield as well), fast-fall airdodge behind the marth>pivot(d-smash/u-tilt)>grab(u-air from u-tilt), or fast-fall back to ground retreating back a little and pulling out shield as fast as possible. I'd rush in and pull up my shield if i expected anything else other than a grab from marth.

Upon taking a hit by shield, i'd try to do the following based on what i was hit by:

1) Swordsdance: I'd shield the rest with my shield and punish after (if they do all 4 without hesitation). Against the 4th hit down version, I can take it if i have full shield and marth doesn't hesitate). If he hesitates before the 4th, then I'll jump out of shield>rising n-air or grab or something. I keep a sharp lookout for any slight pauses in swords dance and n-air/grab(if i can) out of shield on the instant of hesitation. From my experience in reading, if the marth is a 'no-big-namer' as in not an expert marth, it's a pause after the 2nd hit to look closely for (since most nubs mess up here when they are nervous). If the marth is GOOD, then watch closely more for a pause after the 3rd hit (unless the marth is going for a freak-random shieldbreaker followup which most of the time follows after hit 2).

2) Defensive f-air: Expect an ff airdodge back to ground or another f-air (stationary or retreating back/fowards slightly) which most of the time is to cripple shield further. There are 3 types of marths (of course they can just change up their timing, but for most marths, they have set tendencies for certain timings--at least for the first few fights.... sort of like the advantage of knowing someone is naturally left-footed in soccer... they could use the right foot, but the odds are... left foot mostly for the shots that count):

2a) Marth 1: After defensive f-air, almost always immediately f-airs afterwards. Slight opening: tends to DI towards where marth 'thinks' you'll be--if you move from that position, you wont get hurt and can retreat safely after shielding or spotdodging. If he advances at that point, punish him out of shield (u-smash for example). Retreat(roll back)/continue_shielding if he does not advance at that point. Most of the time, if you have enough composure to shield through all of it, it's either a toss-up with retreating after that point or rushing in with shield/air if you think marth is not going to buffer anything upon landing (with enough shield to take some swordsdance or aerial space to avoid more f-airs). Rolling behind Marth is possible and can bait a reverse swordsdance which you can counter using the examples outlined for swordsdance (which is what i would probably do if the marth was PURELY just doing defensive retreating/stationary f-airs.

2b) Marth 2: After defensive f-air, almost always waits a split second and DI's accordingly waiting for the victim to do something (at which f-air comes out) or when marth is about to land to use f-air(hitbox barely comes out, still cripples more shield/hits victim, BUT MAINLY to autocancel his landing faster for more buffered f-airs/swordsdance/smash). Slight opening: take the first defensive f-air with shield and do out of shield rising/advancing f-air/aerial immediately. Fast-fall after the last hit connects, rush his landing/juggle/whatever.

2c) Marth 3: Perfect mix of both (like only top 5% of all marths anyway). Up to you and your skills. Conservatively, react like (2a) where you defend/dodge/hopeforluck more which should keep you safe from (2b) also if you succeed. If you are daring (can read better), react like (2b) for a 50% chance for a good juggle or 50% risk of taking 1 tipped f-air otherwise....

disclaimer*** these are general trends... of course marths with change it up if they are constantly getting owned, but the change up most likely (from my experience) happens later in the match (if ever) and it changes their 'mood'--so instead of (2a) react like (2b) for the next couple/few situations and it should be fine. If you face a perfect (2c) as in ITS NOT A MOOD/ STREAK thing... then (tough luck...) get better at reading or flip a coin between games... lol, and choose how to counter beforehand. ^_^. To make it easier in your mind, try to force the "aggressive f-air" situation.

3) Aggressive f-air (continues to DI towards/over you after the first f-air lands): I luv these the most. You see these all the time from scrubier marths. PICK THESE APART! DESTROY THEM! You can ANYTHING out of shield and it'll hit them before a second f-air can come out. If they do even ONE of these at killable damage, learn how to SPOT THESE AGGRESSIVE F-AIRS, REACT, AND CLAIM YOUR EASY KILL.

4) N-air: If the first hitbox hits my shield, then i spotdodge the second hitbox>dashgrab/punish or just jump out of shield and u-air/n-air if he's within range.

5) Ground move: I full hop>t-jolt and either give him residual damage (which is always good in this matchup) or slow him down from following up or crippling a little bit of his shield.

6) Grab....: i guessed i messed up reading marth.... lol :p

So there is my 'general' strategy in approaching most marths. I never approach them if they are standstill. ONLY when they start running or something (that way, if you rush in and shield when they dont expect it, they may accidently over extend their f-air approach [aggressive f-air ^_^] and get hurt).

Hope that helps

EDIT: a spring Grand Finals between me and a PR marth (not the #1 PR but still up there)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFG910thTLw 1 of 5, Set 1 of 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POBsATO8i8U 2 of 5, Set 1 of 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U9JdM9g9Oo 3 of 5, Set 1 of 2 ~ LDPK's loss (close ^_^)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBhcJfJPhEk 4 of 5, Set 1 of 2 ~ LDPK's Set
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl9Z1fAsvQY 1 of 5, set 2 of 2

Theres the winning vid after that set2of2 marth match as a video respose on youtube if you want to watch it--but he switched to wario finally after deciding marth was too hard against pika at the moment.

He wasn't the BEST of marths, but somewhat decent (and unclucky) and it illustrates a lil of what i mean.

mercy

Smash Apprentice
How viable is Fair -> Dsmash -> Thunder as a kill combo.

I find myself using this quite alot, esp when people fail to DI Dsmash properly

altairian

Smash Lord
How viable is Fair -> Dsmash -> Thunder as a kill combo.

I find myself using this quite alot, esp when people fail to DI Dsmash properly
Against anyone good, it's not viable at all. Unless they DI stupidly, dsmash is gonna send them to the side so at best you'll have to chase to get the thunder hit. Fair->utilt->thunder is much more likely to work.

If they're bad enough to not SDI dsmash, you can probably just uthrow->thunder them :p

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
what kinda man calls himself Eternal SAMus, has a samus icon, but uses falco and pika? smh
I was ESAM when melee came out. E stands for Eric (my name) and SAM stands for obviously Samus. Then I registered for Smashboards, and Eric Samus sounds really gay so I picked the word eternal to replace it. Then i just shortened it to ESAM once brawl came out since i didn't play samus anymore.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
How do you do the thing where you quick attack in the same direction twice?
QA horizontally with the first part, then QA over + down (diagonally) with the second.

Depending on how much you angle downward, you'll just move some distance to the side since you can't go through the floor.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I know that. I saw him do it twice in the same direction in the air though
Was it near the ledge?

The angle between QA directions has to be at least ..... uhhh 37 or 38 degrees, I forget which. That being said, if you QA into the ledge, you can go down/up into the ledge, and sweetspotting will make it look like you went horizontally.

It's impossible to go completely horizontally twice in the air, though, unless he went forward, then completely backward (360 degrees).

Top Bottom