• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Ayce God

RIP Nova 9
hello, I know I post alot but I was wondering could anyone here explain to me how to play the pit match up? I mean, what does pikachu want pit to do? you can't camp him and his speed and air game are very good...should I be trying to get him off stage and get a gimp? even usmash or utilt to thunder doesn't work bc he has a reflect. can anyone help?

:phone:

tibs7

Smash Champion
hey guys sorry to be noob but since there isnt really a recent video thread i had to ask; who are the good pika's to watch these days. apart from esam?

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
hello, I know I post alot but I was wondering could anyone here explain to me how to play the pit match up? I mean, what does pikachu want pit to do? you can't camp him and his speed and air game are very good...should I be trying to get him off stage and get a gimp? even usmash or utilt to thunder doesn't work bc he has a reflect. can anyone help?
You can do the fthrow chain grab on him from about 0-30%. If he's just spamming arrows straight, you can run under them and punish. If he's at a high enough percent, utilt/usmash to thunder will hit before his reflector comes out. I don't know much else about the match up.
hey guys sorry to be noob but since there isnt really a recent video thread i had to ask; who are the good pika's to watch these days. apart from esam?
  • ESAM
  • Z
  • K Prime
  • Captain L
  • Lamb

There's also a Japanese Pikachu that's really good but I don't remember his name.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord

As far as his camping goes, learn to shield arrows and advance during the lag. Powershielding is an important tool against camping, and one that you'll simply need to practice in order to get down. But yeah, Pit has one of the more annoying projectiles, since he can curve them and delay them to mess with your timing.

When it comes to the neutral game, remember that your F-smash outranges his tools (outside from side B, I think), so it's good for punishing if he whiffs a move in front of you. It also makes a good landing trap if you expect an air dodge.

Regarding gimps, Pika has an easier time gimping Pit than most of the cast. Pit does not get his up-B back once you hit him out of it, and you can (eventually) knock him out of all his jumps. If he tries going under the stage, use thunder jolts or QAC to the other ledge. The main spacing tool he's likely to use coming back to the stage is his F-air, so if you can maneuver around that, you're probably good. (Not that B-air/D-air can't be used in this regard as well, but in an edge guard situation you'll probably be attacking him from the front and possibly above.) Remember that Pit has a glide and a decent glide attack, although a thunder should force him out of said glide. (This is theory crafting on my end though, I don't fight Pit much.)

When it comes to ledge play, just spam thunder jolts. It's likely that most Pits will either mess up and get hit or become uncomfortable and try to get back on stage sooner or later. If you're facing a Pit with perfect planking... well, you need better advice than I can give you.

As far as KO's go, Pika does it much the same way as usual. Thunder setups work perfectly fine on Pit, since he's unlikely to have time to pull out his reflector. As far as Pit's KO moves, there's a few you need to be aware of.

Pit's Back air has a pretty powerful sweetspot when it first comes out, and that can kill you surprisingly early (80% or so), especially near the edge. His F-smash is also pretty good, although he's likely to have staled that during the damage racking. D-smash can kill, but it's more punishable if he misses, and overall less likely. His F-tilt can be used to kill, but it's a little slow. Still, it has the best range of his ground tools and can definitely surprise you, so be aware. Finally, he has a few "Just die already" kill moves for 150% or so... notably his dash attack, glide attack, down air, and up air. I don't think he has any kill throws, but you may wish to double check that.

BlindSpot

Smash Apprentice
I have a question. I was looking into the guide, on the CG section, and seen that on some, pummel was mentioned in them. So my question is, does pummel do anything important, to keep the CG going? Is it important to remember when to use it? Or is it just saying that a pummel is free at that time in the CG?

tibs7

Smash Champion
cool, good to know there are other relatively awesome pika's out there.

need to go to america to learn....

PZ

Smash Lord
Hayase uses everyone...goes pika or mk mostly. First tournament after his year or 2 hiatus he went pika for all matchs and mk on 9B's IC's.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Hey Kprime/Esam... it's nice to see that your mashing methods are so effective, would you mind revealing what exactly those methods are?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I just kinda....shake the controller in a way that my right hand will slide across all the buttons and my left hand will rotate the control stick...

tibs7

Smash Champion
Hey, what moves when spaced correctly go through nado?
also best aerial to beat nado with from the top?

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
Hi guys I have a question.

I try to master the dthrow uair footstool ****, but it looks like I fail with the uair buffering.
Indeed, when I do it, it's like the uair comes too late and hits MK too high, which makes me take a weird trajectory.

So here is my question : is there a specific way to buffer this ish ?
I mean, can I simply dash, then jump + uair with the grey stick up and A, or must I dash, then, jump to finally uair with the Cstick ?

Or maybe I just miss the timing lol

EDIT : just for my guidance, is the frames window used to buffer a dash jump nair is the same for this ? So I only have to switch nair with uair ?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
It's practically impossible to do the d-throw uair footstool with the C-stick. You need to time that **** (without buffering) frame perfectly.

Yes, it is the same timing as the d-throw nair, the buffer timing out of D-throw is the same regardless of what you do.

There isn't a specific way to buffer it: I normally like..flick the joy stick, bring it back to neutral, then go slight up+A. NOt sure how to explain it better...

BlindSpot

Smash Apprentice
I have a question.

I love Pikachu. He's the only character I really get enjoyment out of playing with. However (I know this may sound stupid) but I'm really afraid of someone else's shield...

I just don't know what to do when they're sitting in their shield, because I can't run up and try to grab, otherwise it's almost to easy to punish me. And I can't run up and attack, otherwise they can just grab me, or attack oos.

Plus, I have a hard time getting stage control, because they'll ease up towards me, shielding a lot, and I'm forced to back up towards the side of the stage because I don't know what to do when they're in a shield, so it sets them up for a very good position to rack up a lot of damage or gimp me.

So, will someone please try to help me?

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
I have a question.

I love Pikachu. He's the only character I really get enjoyment out of playing with. However (I know this may sound stupid) but I'm really afraid of someone else's shield...

I just don't know what to do when they're sitting in their shield, because I can't run up and try to grab, otherwise it's almost to easy to punish me. And I can't run up and attack, otherwise they can just grab me, or attack oos.

Plus, I have a hard time getting stage control, because they'll ease up towards me, shielding a lot, and I'm forced to back up towards the side of the stage because I don't know what to do when they're in a shield, so it sets them up for a very good position to rack up a lot of damage or gimp me.

So, will someone please try to help me?
What you've got is basically a Rock/Paper/Scissors style mindgame. Just going up and attacking/grabbing isn't going to get you very far because obviously the opponent is going to react. So, what you want to do is bait that reaction, and punish accordingly. For instance, if the opponent tends to spotdodge or roll away from your grab attempts, dash up to them and short hop down air (the hitbox outlasts dodges, and you can move away a bit even if they shield it). Another thing to keep in mind is that their shield won't last forever... you can just stand right outside their effective range (shieldgrabs and any low lag OOS moves) and wait for them to do something.

@tmh2615
I'm afraid that question is vague to the point of being useless. Pikachu isn't a primarily ground-based character like Snake or Olimar, nor is he a character that can just spam aerials like MK. So the choice of using aerial/grounded attacks depends entirely on the situation.

Ayce God

RIP Nova 9
Well I landed a tipper fsmash with marth which usually out ranges pikas fsmash? but we actually killed each other at the same time. it was weird. but thanks man

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
Can someone tell me why I ALWAYS short hop when I buffer a dash jump out of a dthrow, EXCEPT when I'm keeping the jump button pressed (which make me fail the uair buffer... I guess ?) ?

help.

edit : btw the same ish happens when I'm just trying buffer a simple jump out of a dthrow

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
If you just hit the button when you are buffering, it will input it as a jump frame 1 after the lag of the throw, and then frame 2 will read that you aren't holding it anymore, so it will input it as a short hop. If you want to FH, you need to hold the jump button.

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
Ok so if I wanna buffer a dash full hop uair, I have to do the uair while I'm still pressing the jump button ?

Top Bottom