• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
When you hit them with the 2nd QA, do they stand up instantly? If they are, then you're doing it too slow.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Does the QAClock work on Marth? I used to play against CPU Marths with my Pikachu, and after the 1st QA the 2nd one would miss (he would just be under the hitbox). Is there specific timing for Marth or does it just not work on him or am I just bad or what's going on here

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
From my experience, it doesn't work on him. It could be a timing thing though, I haven't really messed with it much.

SSS

Smash Ace
Ergh it's harder to go into a horizontal QAC.

:phone:

I'm watching the Esam video that's linked in Generating A Win, and I'm not entirely sure how he does it. Is his QA actually going into the ground when it's horizontal?

:phone:

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Yeah, that's how you QAC, you have to go into the ground to initiate the Infinite Second Jump Refresh (ISJR)

Also, you can do it on marth. THe most awkward character to lock is definitely ZSS.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
I wonder, are QAC punishes OOS a feasible option? The QA part itself hits on frame 15, and pseudo-combos into N-air/U-air (in fact, it might be a real combo at high %'s, I don't recall.) Obviously if the enemy is close by there are better options, but if you shield something like Marth's F-smash at tipper distance, could you use a QAC N-air to punish it?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Well QAC nair is only a combo at perfect distances starting at like...120. I think it COULD work, but I'm not 100% sure.

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
Hey
Something happened to me some time ago when I was trying to master the buffered uair out of dthrow - here, against MK.
Pikachu sort of instantly footstooled MK after the dthrow and it wasn't looking like MK could do anything to avoid that.
It happened several times but idk what the hell I specifically did.
Also I'm 100% sure I didn't double jump... so what was that ?

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
No sorry.
It happened in training mode anyway and I have no means to record it myself.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
My only explanation for this is that you accidently entered training without your tag (for tap jump off) and when you tried to buffer the uair out of the dthrow you tap jumped and that made you buffer a footstool. If you didn't know, buffering a jump using tap jump makes you buffer multiple jumps which makes you buffer instant footstools.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Yeah, the footstool comes out like 2 frames too slow. It's guaranteed if you do it on a slant going up though.

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
My only explanation for this is that you accidently entered training without your tag (for tap jump off) and when you tried to buffer the uair out of the dthrow you tap jumped and that made you buffer a footstool. If you didn't know, buffering a jump using tap jump makes you buffer multiple jumps which makes you buffer instant footstools.
No I'm sure I didn't use the tap jump on.
It's pretty weird because it's really fast

Edit : I'll try to do it in match so I can save it but I have like 1% of chance it occurs

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
I'm a little confused with buffering upair's out of jumps. I play with tap jump on, so is it in any way possible to dash and jump with the control stick, then just hit A? Cause I know if you press A before you jump, you'll just upsmash. Is it possible to buffer the upair with that in the way, or would I have to (theoretically) time it so I upair just after I jump?

Edit: The way I'm doing it now is just Dash > Y > slight tilt up on the control stick + A

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Having tap jump on or off doesn't really matter. If you hold up slightly and do Y > A, it'll buffer an uair instead of usmash. So the way it's done is kinda how you said it, Dash > slightly tilt up > Y > A

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
Dash > tap jump > Y > A(still holding up)
If you tap jump and try to buffer an upair normally, you'll just upsmash. Pressing Y makes you buffer a double jump, then you don't have to worry about how far up you press the control stick to get an upair out. I'm terrible at judging that distance, so it's easier for me this way.

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
Hey I've played Brawl just now and tried some stuff, and I did something I never did before with Pika but you prolly already now.
You know the cancel of the quick attack around the ledge right ? Then I did pretty much the same but Pika wasn't standing on the floor without lag but was still in the air.
It's fun because you can do it several times pretty fast (from the ledge you fastfall then jump and do it over and over).
I did it only 3 times in a row but I'm not sure how I can do it 100% on purpose and dissociate the right manipulation from the one for the know cancel.
I hope I've been clear enough lol.
Also take a break off the game is very cool for tight timings.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I'm not quite sure of the differences in timing to get the one off the edge and the one on the edge, but yeah it could definitely be practical for some mindgames.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Dash > tap jump > Y > A(still holding up)
If you tap jump and try to buffer an upair normally, you'll just upsmash. Pressing Y makes you buffer a double jump, then you don't have to worry about how far up you press the control stick to get an upair out. I'm terrible at judging that distance, so it's easier for me this way.
Does that really work? An upsmash should still come out even if you're buffering a double jump.

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
Good news, I'm pretty sure I found how to do it.
Once you're on the ledge, instead of straight fastfall or just fall then jump then QA, you have to slightly shift to the opposite side of the ledge while fastfall or just fall, then jump then QA.
Pikachu will cancel his QA and stay in the air.
So it has nothing to do with timing.

Scatz

Smash Champion
That's Yoshi's DR. Just jump > tap jump > Cstick up. That should produce the same thing you're looking for.

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys
I have been able to record what I was previously talking about (the QA air cancel at the edge, and the weird footstool out of dthrow when I mess up the dash jump uair buffer)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_dRfLw6HeI

The footstool is at the very end of the video.

PS : tap jump is off with this tag and I did press jump only once when it happened even if it doesn't seem so

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I knew about the QA thing, it is just hard to consistently get the spacing (Although I should practice it)

That footstool was really fast, but I don't think it would be fast enough if the MK would spam uair or something like that.

Top Bottom