• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Chaingrab

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
Why isn't there a thread on Pika's ridiculous chaingrab?

I have no info on it, but I've had it done to me and I've seen it done several times, with every kind of DI and button mash that I could think of. My good friend Press 22 has stories of chaingrabbing to over 150%. I think it's the upthrow.

mmmCJ

Smash Cadet
wow press22 is playin pika now lawl hes goin to try and take my title of best pika in vegas

were you playin fox? Cuz pikachu can chaingrab fox(at low %) with Dthrow to 70% and up. If your opponent DI's away from you you'll end up doin 70% and if they are DI'ing just not correctly you'll end up doin at least 100%. You can also chaingrab CF and Wolf up to 30%. I've tested this with some friends. I also played against a wolf that didnt DI and i brought him up to 100+%. So all i can say is that you were'nt DI'ing correctly or not at all.

feel free to correct me if im wrong

Zoz0

Smash Rookie
Does anyone have a video of this chaingrab? I would like to see it in action.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
the chain grab ability is astounding. a large number of characters can be chain grabbed at least once, and sheik can be done over 100 easily. there are 2 ways to do it- the down throw which is the easiest way, and the forward throw followed up by running and grabbing again. it is harder, but can work longer then the down throw. and if it wont work anymore, a down throw can be comboed by the tail moves of pikachu.

Superstar

Smash Champion
I have a Brawl replay of this chaingrab 0-deathing my Fox in a one stock match to show it off. I was looking everywhere for a way to escape it, guess there is no way I guess. I usually escaped at 70%, and I thought I was DIing wrong...

However, I would need someone with a screencapturing tool to upload it to YouTube.

EDIT: The Fox boards haven't really given too much help, so I wish to ask about this: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=156476 He got better at chaingrabbing so he can get me all the way to 100% before I can DI away. So basically, any tips?

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
I have a Brawl replay of this chaingrab 0-deathing my Fox in a one stock match to show it off. I was looking everywhere for a way to escape it, guess there is no way I guess. I usually escaped at 70%, and I thought I was DIing wrong...

However, I would need someone with a screencapturing tool to upload it to YouTube.

EDIT: The Fox boards haven't really given too much help, so I wish to ask about this: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=156476 He got better at chaingrabbing so he can get me all the way to 100% before I can DI away. So basically, any tips?
to getting out of chain grabs? jumping seems to help, as well as perhaps using the reflector. a wolf should theoretically be able to be chained high, but all the wolfs i face reflect me out of it around 20-30.

Superstar

Smash Champion
My brother tried it with me as Wolf and me as Fox. Its easier to chaingrab Fox from 0-100%, whearas Wolf only goes up to like 30-50% depending on whether my reflexes on jumping/shining are good enough. The shine only works when he messes up, but we are playing offline, so there is a problem.

It seems attack degradation is part of it. Assuming Pikachu's dthrow is in full power, I can be brought from 0-100% if grabbed immediately, but if grabbed at 60% I can immediately DI out. Just means I have to play more defensive [Pikachu is too fast to make it easy] until he is forced to bring me to a higher percentage, or pick up a secondary to deal.

I have 3 replays, one of a chaingrab from 0-death, one of just a chaingrab, and another of a 2-stock match to keep it under 3 minutes, where I was 2-stocked cause of chaingrab. For the last one I only kept the one where I was beat bad, most times I can more or less avoid the chaingrab until Pika hits around 30-50%. I would need someone with a screen recorder to put it on YouTube.

Cohen

Smash Apprentice
Bah!...why is pikachu soooo good in this game
in melee i use to be the best outta my friends and since he played pika in melee and i played marth he would always lose...but now with pikas super buffs were ALOT more even (:

otg

Smash Master
You can footstool jump out of this Chaingrab, at any point I believe. My friend and I were trying it out last night, and as Falco I was able to do this at around 40%. Might be possible earlier, who knows.

Superstar

Smash Champion
You basically grab, throw, grab, throw, grab, throw. That's basically it.

The problem when I'm being chaingrabbed is that I'm not in range to Footstool jump. None of the DI inputs make any difference until after 100% if I'm grabbed from 0. I'll try getting out as Falco, but I think this is just painful for Fox, and other characters get out earlier.

controlfreak7

Smash Ace
yah too bad i wasn't informed of this ridiculous bull****.. I lost a gamebattles match to pikachu who chaingrabbed me to 80% that is like instant death. And you better hope that downsmash doesn't hit u with its last hit or else the down b will kill u..

pwpschultz

Smash Rookie
I thought it was just Uthrow and Fthrow. The Dthrow is a chaingrab too? Which one is most effective?

mmmCJ

Smash Cadet
what chars does chaingrab work on and what ones don't it work on?
chaingrabs works on fox,wolf,CF, and i think sheik. Fox can be chaingrabbed up to 70% then they can DI out of it. Wolf and CF can be chaingrabbed up to 30%. im not really sure wat percent sheik can DI out of it cuz i havn't tried it yet.

pwpschultz, you can only chaingrab with Dthrow and Fthrow. You cant chaingrab with up throw that was in melee. Dthrow is tha easy one to pull off.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Unless the people I was doing it to suck at DIing, I'm pretty sure this works on ike. I was only able to go from 0-40%, but I was also hitting him in between throws, so that probably kept it from having its full impact.

If you guys can wait until Friday, I can test every single one of them. I can even record it.
That'd be great. It'd be nice to finally have all the facts about his CT.

brawlerbrad91

Smash Journeyman
Dthrow is definitely the easiest to use, but I'm not sure if I just need more practice, but it would not work on my friend who was Lucas but maybe to 30%, and a CPU ness i could only do it twice

mmmCJ

Smash Cadet
Dthrow is definitely the easiest to use, but I'm not sure if I just need more practice, but it would not work on my friend who was Lucas but maybe to 30%, and a CPU ness i could only do it twice
Ya you can chaingrab every character [except floaties] at least twice at a low percentage. Itz best to try and chaingrab real people because CPU's dont DI very well.

Manu

Smash Cadet
Forward throw while harder works better against some characters. Take Link and Marth, also works on Shiek and Wolf at higher damages then dthrow.

aznzc

Smash Rookie
easiest way to counter the chaingrab, just hit the jump after u got thrown.

aznzc

Smash Rookie
aznzc
u cant really jump out of a chaingrab in certain character match ups
i have yet to seen a person that didn't get out of my chain grab with correct di and jump. can u provide some character name that can't jump out? so i don't have to test it out. thanks:)

Ruuku

Smash Lord
Here's a quick chaingrab list I made. I pretty such that if you do one less throw than the max percentage, you get a free u.smash after a f.throw and a free u.smash/d.smash after the d.throw (a shield canceled dash into f.smash may also work after a f.throw).

Forward throw:

Snake - 0%-60%
Wolf - 0%-60%
Falco - 0%-60%
Ike - 0%-60%
Sheik - 0%-70%
DeDeDe 0%-60%
Bowser - 0%-60%
Sonic 0%-40% (tight timing)
Fox 0%-50%
Captain Falcon - 0%-60%
Ganondorf - 0%-60%

Down throw:

Wolf - 0%-30%
Donkey Kong - 0%-60%
Link - 0%-60%
Sheik - 0%-60%
Fox 0%-70%
Captain Falcon - 0%-80%

Some of them have pretty tight timing (possible at the very first neutral stance frame out of the throw). Just so you all know, I did it all this as fast as I could so it may work on other characters with a specific timing. Also, my opponent try to DI in every direction as well as jumping out. A video will be coming up soon.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Nice, thanks Ruuku. Im assuming if the character didnt make the list you cant chaingrab them?

Top Bottom