• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Phoenix Brawl 6 (Important Venue Change! Details inside)

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
It's been 9 months since the tournament that brought Alberta and BC Brawl together, and now is the time to start thinking about the event that will finally bring BC, Alberta, the beast from the East Coast, and the Pacific Northwest face-to-face for the most anticipated Brawl event this side of Canada! Of course, this can only be the best event it can be if all of you make your best effort to hype it up. So, spread the word, mark your calendars, and get ready!

11491 Kingston St, Maple Ridge, BC
(click for a link to the location on Google Maps)

The latest bus leaving the venue will be the 701 bound for Coquitlam station, which will leave at 1:00am. The stop is a 15 minute walk from the venue though, so you should leave at least 20 minutes beforehand to be sure you'll make it. That's what I'll be doing, at any rate. (so if you want to take the last bus, come with me) Be careful about your connections though; many busses don't run that late, so it is vital that you check to make sure when you need to leave. For example, I take the 97 B-line from Coquitlam, and I have confirmed that the final 701 arrives 10 minutes before the final 97 leaves Coquitlam station. Therefore, I can wait for the last 701 to leave the venue.

If you have any questions or concerns about reaching the venue via public transit, feel free to ask me, whether it's through a post in this thread, a VM, or a PM.

Please note that this is Kodokan's workplace, and we need to be very respectful of the space. If you break anything, he will break you.

Entry Fees:

Venue Fee: $5
Brawl Singles: $10
Brawl Doubles: $10 per person ($20 per team)

Payouts:

Total entry fees for each event will be split into portions and distributed among the top placing players as follows...

Doubles
1st - 60%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 10%
4th - $20

Singles (Pro Bracket)
1st - 55%
2nd - 25%
3rd - 15%
4th - 5%
5th - $10 each

Singles (Amateur Bracket)
1st - $10

*Note - Pot splits may change depending on the attendance.

Schedule:

10:00am - Venue Opens, Brawl doubles registration
11:00am - Brawl doubles
2:00pm - Brawl singles registration
3:00pm - Brawl singles pools
6:00pm - Singles Pro Bracket begins
6:30pm - Singles Amatuer Bracket begins
After singles - Friendlies/MMs/crews?

All times (with the exception of open/close times) are approximate. We will be doing elimination pools for singles; the plan is to have top 3 from each pool move on to the pro bracket, which will receive the full prize pot payout. An amateur bracket will also be run for all those falling short of the pro bracket, where the winner will receive their singles entry fee back.

Rankings in pools will be determined first by set count, then by match count. If a pair of players is tied in both, they will do a tiebreaker set to determine who gets the higher seed. This is important because it means every match matters; throwing game 2 by using a secondary and scoring a 2-1 instead of a 2-0 could mean the difference between 1st seed and 2nd seed, or even Pro Bracket and Amateur Bracket if you end up in a tie with somebody else.

Rules:​

We will be using the Unity Ruleset for this tournament. (click the embedded link for details)

Set-ups:​

TVs
1. Home Video
2. Home Video
3. Home Video
4. Home Video
5. Home Video
6. Home Video
7. Home Video
8. Home Video
9. Home Video
10. Home Video
11. Home Video
12. Kodokan
13. Kodokan

Wiis
1. Sinister
2. Kantrip
3. Captain L
4. SKidd
5. Kuraudo
6. Asa
7. Tin Man
8. Big D
9. brningpyre
10. breez
11. Blue Yoshi
12. DTP

Other
8 Chairs - Kantrip
n64 - Blue Yoshi

Attendence:​

If you are able to attend, please post, and I'll put you on the list. A star denotes that the person is unconfirmed. Orange names are from Alberta, Pink names are from Ontario, Grey names are from Nova Scotia, Blue names are from Washington, and Yellow names are from Oregon.

1. Firefly
2. CrimsonFeint
3. DTP
4. T-block

5. GrapE
6. IHT
7. SKidd
8. Asa
9. Arcansi
10. Captain L
11. Bundtcake
*12. Sinister
*13. Meta
14. Blunted_Object10
15. Crisis
16. Cheeszeman
17. brningpyre
18. Alphicans

19. Tin Man
20. Fiji
21. Yoshara
22. Kuraudo

23. Breez
24. Big D
*25. Kodokan
26. JM
27. Wyatt
*28. Courier
*29. Drake
30. smash_mash
31. Junk
32. KillLock
33. Arsenal

*34. Jproph
35. Filip
36. Felix
*37. Nerd
38. Busy

39. T3h Icy
*40. Svend
41. Michael
42. Scott
*43. Blue Yoshi

34 confirmed, 9 unconfirmed.

Poster Contest:​

I want a poster made for the tournament. Whoever submits the best poster, selected by myself, won't have to pay the venue fee. So use your photoshop skills and impress me!

Housing:​

Anybody who needs housing, or is able to provide it, should post here/contact me in some way. We will do our best to accommodate all of our guests!

Post from Bundtcake summing up our current free housing options:

details on housing:

i live in east van, very easy access to public transit, small-ish place but could fit a decent amount of people (4-5 could comfortably sleep in my room, then if need be people could get more cramped and/or sleep on an memory foam/air mattress in the kitchen), 2 decent sized tvs

andy lives in vancouver a bit southwest from me, fairly easy access to public transit, small-ish place, 1 large tv

breez lives in abbotsford, much further east, you'd need a car or a ride to get to his place or to the venue, decent sized place with a good amount of floorspace, 1 broken tv but he mentioned getting other setups?

in terms of distance from the venue:

my place is a 30 min drive away, an hour and a half by public transit

andy's place is about a 40 min drive away, closer to two hours by public transit

breez's place is about a 50 min drive, and i don't really think there's a viable way to get there by public transit
I hope to see you there!

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Coool.
I might come to this.

EDIT: Might, as in, I'm going to make an effort to attend this.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
And Darren almost claims the first post twice in a row. Really glad to hear you want to come! =D It'd be awesome to see you again.

Good stuff Feint! Adding you both to the list.

Edit for Diddy main who thinks he's funny: Alright, I'll put you as unconfirmed for now. =p

:005:

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
And Darren almost claims the first post twice in a row. Really glad to hear you want to come! =D It'd be awesome to see you again.
haha I tried.
Damn you Crimson!!! D:<

But yeah it'll be sweet to see you again :D

EDIT: Oh god Mike do it.
DTP for first lol

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Confrim IHT and myself.
Done. =D

haha I tried.
Damn you Crimson!!! D:<

But yeah it'll be sweet to see you again :D

EDIT: Oh god Mike do it.
DTP for first lol
Yoshi + Luigi doubles friendlies! =D

...Unless you don't play Luigi anymore? That was one of my favorite teams though. ;-;

Just so you know, Darren will chicken out and now show if I'm there, so it's one or the other. The OP should probably reflect that.
funnyfunnyfunny

Good stuff SKidd. B|

:005:

Kantrip

Kantplay
No need to rearrange the posts or anything, there's enough 1st post for everyone!

It's called the first page.

:troll:

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Just so you know, Darren will chicken out and now show if I'm there, so it's one or the other. The OP should probably reflect that.
LOL

Don't worry, I'm dropping Peach for awhile (Or at least making her a solid secondary) so you'll have a chance to beat me in bracket this time :troll:

Yoshi + Luigi doubles friendlies! =D

...Unless you don't play Luigi anymore? That was one of my favorite teams though. ;-;
haha sorry, I stopped using Luigi a looooong time ago. Maybe a year ago? lol

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I'll consider this if the BC community somehow becomes big again, and if WA/OR show actual promise.

You can call it phoenix 6 or w.e, but at the end of the day it's just another tournament at the same venue :/. Sorry to bring down the hype.

bundtcake

Smash Ace
I'll consider this if the BC community somehow becomes big again, and if WA/OR show actual promise.

You can call it phoenix 6 or w.e, but at the end of the day it's just another tournament at the same venue :/. Sorry to bring down the hype.
not the point, dude! this may just be "another tournament" in terms of bc attendance, but this is the tournament that we attempt to coordinate people from out of province/country to come to, which does make this tournament unique in a set of otherwise similar monthlies

this tournament can be hype if everyone is hyped, if nobody is hyped then this tournament will just be another monthly, so obviously the solution is for everyone to be hyped

also, confirm me! i'll make sure to book this day off

although i can't confirm that i'm not gonna sandbag the **** out of this tournament since i'm pretty much putting zero effort into smash bros now

SKidd

Smash Master
Brian, why do you put no effort?
Also... I probably asked this before, but do you use msn?

bundtcake

Smash Ace
Brian, why do you put no effort?
Also... I probably asked this before, but do you use msn?
oh dude i put next to no effort into brawl for a long time, but i also used to actually bother to attend tournaments so that gave me some practice, and now i have work and magic taking up my all of my time

also i thought you already had me on msn

also also, i want in on these sheik dittos :D

SKidd

Smash Master
No, I do not have you on MSN.
Or at least I'm pretty sure.

I kind of got the idea you didn't like me a long time ago and stuck with that =[

bundtcake

Smash Ace
what! why would you think that

also i don't have you on msn but i thought you got bryan to give you my msn or something

Kantrip

Kantplay
Should a poster include the link to the website? It's not like it can be clicked in poster format. :p

Not sure how to direct those curious to the ruleset, though.

Captain L

Smash Champion
By the way can we have a real crew battle this time? BC vs whoever decides to show up from out of BC.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
oh shii

If the date were different, I might have actually looked into it. The SRK players in my region are planning this big collaberative tourney wich will end up on this weekend, and they'll wnt me to host smash. Sry ppl. We'll figure something out soon. Thanks anyways for the hook up Firefly.

Captain L

Smash Champion
is it too late to change the date then?

unless people have already started booking off work.

SKidd

Smash Master
what! why would you think that

also i don't have you on msn but i thought you got bryan to give you my msn or something
I kind of thought I said something and you took as, 'This kid is an annoying 10 year old.'
... But I guess not =D

Uh, well then, my MSN is skidd16[@]hotmail[.]com

Also, who wants to team with me(Sorry Star...)?

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Don't worry SKidd, Brian hates everyone. He's very unpleasant to be around.

... Hey Brain, wanna do a double random team? :p

Assuming school doesn't get in the way, I should be there (I'll make sure I don't have work on that weekend). So... yeah.

I will be looking for a doubles partner. Priority will go to people who will want to team with one of these teams: Double random, Double Yoshi, Double Jigglypuff. Then Double DDD, Double Diddy, Double IC. Then double SoPo, double Solomar. Then any other stupid team combination. Then any legitimate team combination that actually makes sense. Then anything with Zelda :troll:

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
The only way to get a double judgement team is by both players using GaW, so therefore a double judgement team would also be a double GaW team. And no matter what strategy you use, it doesn't change the fact that double GaW is one of the best doubles teams possible. So in order to do a double judgement team, I have to use one of the best doubles combinations possible. :p

Edit: Landon, me already having a 100% probability of pulling a 9, doubling that gives 200%, which is mathematically impossible. Also, using normal math, no matter what the odds are with one person (1 in 7), having two people use the same character does not change the odds of getting a 9. Every side-B still has a 1 in 7 chance of being a 9, the only difference is you are doing the move more times. So statistically, you should expect to get twice as many nines, but the probability remains constant.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
That still doesn't remove the fact that I'd be doing a double GaW team. Also, even if I did go to only specials, there are still his other specials which can be done.

(also, Landon, in case you missed it, I edited my post above to respond to your post).

Captain L

Smash Champion
I guess a better way to phrase it would've been "a higher number of 9's will appear per match"

Top Bottom