• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PGD4: I changed the title.

Coro_

Smash Apprentice
@ Coro_ Coro_ did the tournament go well? Was there a stream?
Ah, umm, well, I placed middle of my qualifier group and as such didn't advance (lost to 2 Marth mains and a Falcon main) :p
Guess I choked in tourney settings :p

No stream, but they should be uploading whatever replays they have saved some time soon, when they have the time to record them (I think since mine was qualifier there's only one or two matches that got saved though)

Man, I should maybe invest in a Wii U and a GC controller, but no money :p 3DS controller is all very well and good, but has it's limitations orz

Last edited:

Soul.

Pikachu has utilt uair nair or utilt uair bair.

Unfortunately Link can't just combo into bair easily...

Melee tho: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHowzofr4Es

[Seriously, watch this video, it's super good even if you don't play Melee.]
Sheik has a million FAir chains

Amusingly enough, that song fits the video pretty well; Melee combo videos aren't as common now. I have no idea why. Even Smash 4 "combo videos" are nonexistent.

Thor

Smash Champion
Sheik has a million FAir chains

Amusingly enough, that song fits the video pretty well; Melee combo videos aren't as common now. I have no idea why. Even Smash 4 "combo videos" are nonexistent.
We could probably assemble a legit combo/reads video from ESAM stuff that's actually pretty good.

Combo video was made for the MIOM contest, which was probably started by MIOM because combo videos are kinda dying. It's not hard to understand why though - a lot of the top 8 in Melee have been so well optimized you see the same stuff over and over [OH BOY ANOTHER KEN COMBO! WHO'D HAVE EVER THOUGHT UAIR KNEE COMBO'D?!], and while this Link main had some godlike stuff [the Link chat for PM is discussing how we can incorporate some of this stuff], Melee only has so many ways to combo stuff, and there are also not that many low-tier heroes left.

Soul.

We could probably assemble a legit combo/reads video from ESAM stuff that's actually pretty good.

Combo video was made for the MIOM contest, which was probably started by MIOM because combo videos are kinda dying. It's not hard to understand why though - a lot of the top 8 in Melee have been so well optimized you see the same stuff over and over [OH BOY ANOTHER KEN COMBO! WHO'D HAVE EVER THOUGHT UAIR KNEE COMBO'D?!], and while this Link main had some godlike stuff [the Link chat for PM is discussing how we can incorporate some of this stuff], Melee only has so many ways to combo stuff, and there are also not that many low-tier heroes left.
I dunno man, perhaps make a silly combo video featuring customs.
Low tier heroes? I'd make a joke regarding Pichu but it wouldn't be funny; maybe Roy.

Soul.

DK though. Roy though. Young Link though.
I'd bring up Yoshi here but most people see him as "better" than in the previous meta

Coro_

Smash Apprentice
Guys how do I deal with disjoints
I mentioned losing to Marths, I feel like I should be able to do better, but that sword :< (applies to Lucina, Ike, Roy and Link too)

Gibbs

Smash Apprentice
The year is 20ZipZip, the smash 4 meta has advanced to the point where the only viable movement option is QA. Despite the last competitive Shiek main falling decades ago to the horde of yellow rodents, Pika mains still ask for Sakurai to buff kill power.

Soul.

You can never call this Pokémon jank.
We only call ninjas from the Zelda series jank.

Soul.

i know rite, her sword is so big in hyrule warriors. if she was in smash she'd outrange everyone hahahahaha.

Coro_

Smash Apprentice
So, which is you favourite palette for Pika and what other costumes do you think would look good on him?

I like his googles costume (if my avatar wasn't obvious enough) and I'd like to see a PMD-style bandana costume some time~

Gibbs

Smash Apprentice
I'm very meh on double sticking, the AC windows on fair and dair are generous enough for it not to matter and our strictest input, rising upair, can't be buffered due to jump canceling.

Soul.

I saw that video before, but I'm not interested on double sticking.

Thor

Smash Champion
I autocancel my dairs with X to A and don't struggle to consistently autocancel. I mess up once in a while, but I chalk that up to not actually committing when I need to [and also Wi-Fi lag since that's when nearly all of my dair shockwaves happen]. I also can do the ZSS AC fair thing just fine.

The video person is technically correct that you have less aerial control using analog stick and A, but it's not a requirement to c-stick aerials even at a top level [unless he's changed how he does his inputs, PPMD uses A for all his aerials, barring some uairs].

EDIT: After actually seeing the end of the video, it might be useful for RAR uair, but I'm not sure that's a very good approach with Pikachu anyway...

Last edited:

busken

Smash Ace
I autocancel my dairs with X to A and don't struggle to consistently autocancel. I mess up once in a while, but I chalk that up to not actually committing when I need to [and also Wi-Fi lag since that's when nearly all of my dair shockwaves happen]. I also can do the ZSS AC fair thing just fine.

The video person is technically correct that you have less aerial control using analog stick and A, but it's not a requirement to c-stick aerials even at a top level [unless he's changed how he does his inputs, PPMD uses A for all his aerials, barring some uairs].

EDIT: After actually seeing the end of the video, it might be useful for RAR uair, but I'm not sure that's a very good approach with Pikachu anyway...
RAR U-air might not be the best approach, but it kills. https://youtu.be/XXM0O5PXbQ4?t=156
Also, in Smash 4, it's impossible to buffer u-airs without setting the left stick to attack.

Thor

Smash Champion
RAR U-air might not be the best approach, but it kills. https://youtu.be/XXM0O5PXbQ4?t=156
Also, in Smash 4, it's impossible to buffer u-airs without setting the left stick to attack.
Have not seen that... cool! I probably won't set my c-stick up for it, but I'll practice that some as an anti-air approach for sure [gonna have to really practice that and might have to go back to tap jump off... although that'll make usmash OoS harder...].

Gibbs

Smash Apprentice
Yeah pika boards not getting much love this week. We'll probably have a lot more to talk about after ESAM wins evo and gets HSB banned from competitive play. /s

Thor

Smash Champion
Going to a tournament this Saturday. Entered in Melee singles, PM singles, Smash 4 singles, PM doubles, and Smash 4 doubles. Can link stream [or one of them, we might have more than one] if people are interested.

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
Going to a tournament this Saturday. Entered in Melee singles, PM singles, Smash 4 singles, PM doubles, and Smash 4 doubles. Can link stream [or one of them, we might have more than one] if people are interested.
Yo~

Hope you do well :happysheep:

LaserResal

Smash Cadet
NNID
LaserResal
3DS FC
2363-5657-8377
Do it. I'd love to watch some sm4sh.

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
Do it. I'd love to watch some sm4sh.
http://www.twitch.tv/Jaaahsh
http://www.twitch.tv/mnsmash/

According to the TO, the first URL (with Jaaahsh) will have Smash 4, while the second URL will have Melee and the top 8 for PM. I'm entered in Melee singles [don't expect to do very well], PM singles [hoping to do well], Smash 4 singles [hoping to do well], and Smash 4 and PM doubles [I honestly don't know about my teammate, if I were with someone I'd planned to be with I think we'd do well but things got scrambled around so we'll see].

Melee and Smash 4 doubles start at 10:30 and PM doubles starts at 11:30. Singles events start within a half hour after the end of the doubles events.

You can obviously watch [or not watch] whenever you want, but I'm providing start times just in case.

As a heads-up, our best Smash 4 players are GanonTheBeast [Ganondorf main], Triple R [Kirby main], Sinnyboo242 (or sometimes just Sin) [Sheik main], Shinjoebi [Roy main], Neomadgic [Ness main], and Prince Kirby [another Kirby main]. We have some solid players as well obviously, and we have some out-of-state people as well [if I am reading the list of people who state they're going correctly, we'll have JJRockets and Inui coming as well], but those are some of MN's best Smash 4 people.

EDIT: Also, for this tournament, because at one time my dad was suggesting new tags and I laughed enough to put it in the pre-registration form, I'm entered as "Thor Gon Jinn", although I normally just enter most events as "Thor".

Last edited:
Top Bottom