• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Petey's Garden - Piranha Plant Social Thread AKA Plant Gang HQ

Favorite Costume For Piranha Plant?

• Total voters

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
In the waning months of the clone wars-er, sorry, wrong game. Ahem, as we approach the eventual release date, anticipation grows and my own mad obsession worsens. Let us take this time to come together and worship the plant together. And by that I mean (and if this has already been done in this thread, I apologize for my neglect), which costume will everyone be using? For starters, I'll definitely be using the Inky Piranha.
I know for a fact that I'll be using the White costume just because it looks similar to this horror from the Super Mario Bros. Super Show:
I'M ****IN' INVINCIBLE.png

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In the waning months of the clone wars-er, sorry, wrong game. Ahem, as we approach the eventual release date, anticipation grows and my own mad obsession worsens. Let us take this time to come together and worship the plant together. And by that I mean (and if this has already been done in this thread, I apologize for my neglect), which costume will everyone be using? For starters, I'll definitely be using the Inky Piranha.
I may use the one(s) with a pipe from time to time.

Midoriki

Smash Cadet
This has been a real struggle for me. Normally I just pick the one with the most green (e.g. Pikachu's Emerald headband) as this best represents my love of all things green and growing, but now that Sakurai has given me the option to play a literal plant I find myself with way too many options!

The green and yellow one has the most green on it, but those leaves look a little sickly. Maybe they're just variegated though? :3

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
The planty boi has so many nice looking colors, so I'll be switching around a lot, I believe.

The ones that look very appealing to me right now are the green, yellow and purple ones, though all look stellar.

This is the first time where I am thinking about using the pink alt for a character, just because it fits so well here

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
It would appear that a patch is dropping next week taking the game version to 2.0.0. There are no details atm, but the jump in the first digit suggests potentially big changes, and the existence of the recent Japanese plant deal video could maaaaaayyyybe be hinting at something.

Don't want to get anybody's hopes up but this feels like we might be getting our green leafy boi a couple weeks sooner than expected... bless up and pray to petey w/ me

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
If it's substantial enough to be adding new modes/elements besides characters, I would hope they went as far as adding Petey as a Classic mode boss.

Kinda sad that Piranha Plant will be just barely missing the cut-off for Genesis 6 (they have use the current patch on all the set ups since they locked in the rules)

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I personally hope Piranha Plant's Classic Mode boss is Giga Bowser, because GB is underused in comparison to the other bosses (only Mario and Captain Falcon get to face him) and the idea of a Piranha Plant rebelling against trying to usurp Bowser is absolutely hilarious.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I was initially thinking the purple one, as it looks the most poisonous out of the bunch, but then I reconsidered after noting how lovely the green alts yellow stem looks. It makes me think of a dry plant that grows in a desert domain.
Besides, green is my favorite color. All of them are at least a little bit green, but the green one is especially green!

HypnoMaster372

Smash Journeyman
I personally hope Piranha Plant's Classic Mode boss is Giga Bowser, because GB is underused in comparison to the other bosses (only Mario and Captain Falcon get to face him) and the idea of a Piranha Plant rebelling against trying to usurp Bowser is absolutely hilarious.
Hm, what theme should his Classic Mode be then if Giga Bowser would serve as his Boss?

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Well, personally I'm more concerned about Piranha Plant (and other DLC characters) having a classic mode at all. DLC characters always have to be treated a bit differently from base game characters, like how their alt trophies were unlocked as you bought them in Wii U rather than being bought in the in-game shop with the in-game currency. And of course Smash 4 DLC characters not having custom moves.

There are a few clues that worry me actually. First is that there already are characters without a classic mode, the Mii fighters. They're treated a bit differently from other characters in this game, like not having the same costume system than other characters at all, and being the only characters in this game to have custom moves. I think not giving them a Classic mode route was a bit silly, unless programming somehow made it impossible, but otherwise they could have given them at least something as generic as brawler/swordfighter/gunner archetype-themed battles. Second is how character unlocks is programmed. Each character is in a given column and when you finish Classic mode you fight the next non-fought character in the column or, if you have fought them all already, you go to the next column until there's a character to unlock. Either DLC characters can't unlock other character in Classic mode (there probably will be some people who will purchase DLC characters before unlocking everyone), or they're associated to a specific column, or it unlocks characters through the time-based mean.

You might say that I'm just paranoid and imagining the worst for the sake of it and to be fair I think it's most likely the case, as creating a Classic mode route shouldn't be as time-consuming as custom moves. But I just want to share my fears and make you think "At least I was warned" in case it happens. I also hope DLC characters will come with additional Spirit battles; for Piranha plants I think only battles against the Plant should come, but for Joker and other DLC characters that introduce a new franchise we should have cross-franchise Spirit battles like Persona Spirits being represented by non-Persona fighters in addition to Joker. But considering I'm not even super confident in DLC characters getting a Classic mode route... I fear it may just be wishful thinking.

But if PP gets a Classic mode route, I think it could be fun if they made a reference about its status as a generic enemy: its opponents should be representative of species for which there are a lot of individual representatives rather than being canonically unique characters, and to put emphasis on this, fight them in horde. Like the route could be Yoshi, then Mr. Game & Watch, then Villager, then Inkling, then Pikachu and Jigglypuff, then a horde of other Piranha Plants, and Master Hand could not only be fine but also appropriate for the final boss fight since World of Light has shown that there are multiple of them.

Also reminder to myself that I haven't used the code yet... I don't have my Switch with me, but I should be able to register my code this weekend when I can get my Switch back before it's too late.

Last edited:

HypnoMaster372

Smash Journeyman
But if PP gets a Classic mode route, I think it could be fun if they made a reference about its status as a generic enemy: its opponents should be representative of species for which there are a lot of individual representatives rather than being canonically unique characters, and to put emphasis on this, fight them in horde. Like the route could be Yoshi, then Mr. Game & Watch, then Villager, then Inkling, then Pikachu and Jigglypuff, then a horde of other Piranha Plants, and Master Hand could not only be fine but also appropriate for the final boss fight since World of Light has shown that there are multiple of them.
Now that's pretty unique theme you thought of there. It doesn't exactly conflict with any other characters Classic Modes, so I'll happily welcome this theme!

Also, you do make a really good point about the possibility of no Classic Mode for DLC Fighters, & how Unlocks would work in their Classic Mode, but I'm sure they'll figure out a way.

Last edited:

Midoriki

Smash Cadet
It looks like it's just instructions on how to get Piranha Plant before the deal expires. Nothing new to see here, it seems.
Yeah I kinda freaked out when I saw the video, but the last step in the instructions is to "Please Wait" so nothing yet :'(

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
The closer we get to Febuary the more hype I feel for the character. let's hope we'll hear about more concrete stuff soon

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Hopefully we don't have to wait for the 15th, or even more than a week into February at all. I would really hate for it to take another 3 weeks when it feels like the plant is already almost here.

Edit: also just remembered that I'm the owner of this thread so I didn't even have to ask everyone about their favorite costume, just had to make a poll. Lol.

Last edited:

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
For me, it’s purple and inky. Purple has the pimp colors going for him, and a gold pot to boot. My boi is dripping with the sauce. Inky, looks really clean as well. Also on a much sillier note, more black representation in smash is always welcome.

D

Deleted member

I suggest to allow posts related to Little Shop Of Horrors on this thread.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
So, with what little time we have left speculating about the plant before it finally takes root, what are your expectations gameplaywise based on what we have seen so far?

Gimmick wise, I feel the pot will be central to it's design and probably will have some unique collision effect to it. I can imagine either some sort of damage reduction or other protective ability around it, kinda like Jr's Clown car, perhaps? Since the Pot is rather small and not a big part of the overall model though, it might not be relevant at all. However, when one thinks of the plant, the motion of ducking into a pipe comes into mind. I believe that is what Sakurai went for with the (probably) Down B move, but seeing that attribute distributed over the model itself would be hilarious! (I mean, some alt skins have the plant drag a pipe around)

Now, the specials look really cool and full of potential to me.

The spike Ball (probably neutral B) can work like an anti-air move to stop aerial approaches from above. In the reveal trailer you actually see Samus dropping in from above, only to dodge away to the side, which can be followed up with the ball immediately. Unfortunately it doesn't look like you can move with the ball out, unlike the Piranha Plants from SMB3. Another thing we do not see is the distance the ball bounces across the floor or it's interactions with other hitboxes.

The poison seems to work as a nice area denial tool. Spitting out a non-knockback DoT cloud can lead to some nice trap set ups and mind games, depending on how damaging it is. Charging it and setting it up seems to be a given to do when the enemy is far away, so prepare to do that a lot for stage presence.
The biggest potential i see for this move lies in it's ability to hopefully get B-reversed or wave bounced. Any way of additional mobility is always highly appreciated and helps us with landing and evasion.

The leaf propeller looks like it gives you full control to steer the Plant either directly up, down, left or right (remember, I take my assumptions only from the footage shown). I hope the leafs from the side have a small hitbox, like K Rool's propeller pack, because carrying people off the side with that move would be utterly hilarious. Otherwise, we see the plant landing with this move in one of the videos, but it's hard to determine the endlag from it. If you see your enemy going for the lower edgeguard, recovering high might actually be viable. We'll have to see...

And of course the big one...the down B, the Pot move itself. Pitanha plants ducks into its pot really fast to activate armour, but the steering seems to take a lot of time. that means you cannot just throw it out without thought against an enemy that, say, crosses you up with an aerial. it just gives them a lot of time to hit you or grab while you are slowly turning around. The move itself seems to be designed as an anti projectile move instead, as firing something usually keeps the target around the same area for a bit, giving you the time to take aim and bite. You can also use it as a ranged option for off-stage play, of course, we'll have to wait and see how useful its going to be overall.
One thing i wanted to say on that note is that i believe the "weird" animation where piranha plant is seen gnawing upwards and downwards, like a plant straight from the original SMB, is what happens if you do not charge and angle the down B at all, as you can watch the animation starting with the plant in the pot, rather than at normal height. If that move would be its up tilt, why start at the pot?

So yeah, those are my expectations/predictions on how the specials will work. I really cannot wait to get my hands on the plant, so please hurry up, Nintendo!

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
So, with what little time we have left speculating about the plant before it finally takes root, what are your expectations gameplaywise based on what we have seen so far?

Gimmick wise, I feel the pot will be central to it's design and probably will have some unique collision effect to it. I can imagine either some sort of damage reduction or other protective ability around it, kinda like Jr's Clown car, perhaps? Since the Pot is rather small and not a big part of the overall model though, it might not be relevant at all. However, when one thinks of the plant, the motion of ducking into a pipe comes into mind. I believe that is what Sakurai went for with the (probably) Down B move, but seeing that attribute distributed over the model itself would be hilarious! (I mean, some alt skins have the plant drag a pipe around)

The spike Ball (probably neutral B) can work like an anti-air move to stop aerial approaches from above. In the reveal trailer you actually see Samus dropping in from above, only to dodge away to the side, which can be followed up with the ball immediately. Unfortunately it doesn't look like you can move with the ball out, unlike the Piranha Plants from SMB3. Another thing we do not see is the distance the ball bounces across the floor or it's interactions with other hitboxes.

The poison seems to work as a nice area denial tool. Spitting out a non-knockback DoT cloud can lead to some nice trap set ups and mind games, depending on how damaging it is. Charging it and setting it up seems to be a given to do when the enemy is far away, so prepare to do that a lot for stage presence.
The biggest potential i see for this move lies in it's ability to hopefully get B-reversed or wave bounced. Any way of additional mobility is always highly appreciated and helps us with landing and evasion.

The leaf propeller looks like it gives you full control to steer the Plant either directly up, down, left or right (remember, I take my assumptions only from the footage shown). I hope the leafs from the side have a small hitbox, like K Rool's propeller pack, because carrying people off the side with that move would be utterly hilarious. Otherwise, we see the plant landing with this move in one of the videos, but it's hard to determine the endlag from it. If you see your enemy going for the lower edgeguard, recovering high might actually be viable. We'll have to see...

And of course the big one...the down B, the Pot move itself. Pitanha plants ducks into its pot really fast to activate armour, but the steering seems to take a lot of time. that means you cannot just throw it out without thought against an enemy that, say, crosses you up with an aerial. it just gives them a lot of time to hit you or grab while you are slowly turning around. The move itself seems to be designed as an anti projectile move instead, as firing something usually keeps the target around the same area for a bit, giving you the time to take aim and bite. You can also use it as a ranged option for off-stage play, of course, we'll have to wait and see how useful its going to be overall.
One thing i wanted to say on that note is that i believe the "weird" animation where piranha plant is seen gnawing upwards and downwards, like a plant straight from the original SMB, is what happens if you do not charge and angle the down B at all, as you can watch the animation starting with the plant in the pot, rather than at normal height. If that move would be its up tilt, why start at the pot?

So yeah, those are my expectations/predictions on how the specials will work. I really cannot wait to get my hands on the plant, so please hurry up, Nintendo!
I agree with pretty much everything you mentioned, except that the "weird move" (if we're thinking of the same thing here) is probably just a taunt (likely up taunt) since they were apparently pretty keen on showing off its taunts.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I agree with pretty much everything you mentioned, except that the "weird move" (if we're thinking of the same thing here) is probably just a taunt (likely up taunt) since they were apparently pretty keen on showing off its taunts.
Thank you :)

On the topic of taunts, it seems that the sleeping animation shown is a taunt as well. As the Beefy Smash dudes pointed out, usually the sleep status is signaled by a pink flash on the model, which is absent.
Now, sleeping would actually make sense as a taunt as a reference to the Plants from Mario 64 (and it would be the most disrespectful taunt in the entire game)
With that in mind, we got the wild biting, the twirl and pose and the sleeping as taunts

Whitephoenixace

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7304-2300-4542
Honestly from taking a bettee look at the moveset it seems like the poison will most likely be his side b . Especially wheb u consider how stationary the ball is before u move it . In terms of the poison i still wonder id it may actualy get knockback or an effect like ness pk fire and the belmonts holy water, especially since he was still in the works at that time. Poison cloud just dmging especially when looking at its start up time seems kinda underwhelming. Unless it stays on them even after they leave the cloud or just does alot of dmg in general. Plants speed and weight were already change between updates so who knows what else could havw been. Regardless of what happens I just hope that pplant is actually viable, and as well with the pot having dmg reduction or maybe providing armor on some of his moves (that may make it kinda wild though lol).

D

Deleted member

Let me, an elderly woman, join the Plant Gang! I wholeheartedly support unusual and interesting characters such as this. I would of shown support on this thread the day it was made but because of my shyness I do limit my activity on the boards on my own accord.

Sa, being much heavier and faster (and stronger, too) my mind was made up on which newcomers to play. Now, :ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbayonetta1::ultrosalina: are still my girls, but :ultpiranha: will make a fine secondary at least. And I plead to y'all: save an amiibo of :ultpiranha: for me! I think having one is a means of showing my love.

Sayonara :kirby:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Given the Putrid Breath doesn't cause any flinching, it's usefulness in area denial seems somewhat limited. Opponents can just run right through it and get a combo that likely offsets whatever poison damage they might have received. It's best use is probably in tech-chases or ledge traps, to limit their options.

Defence is likely the plant's specialty, using it's Bungee Strike to discourage trying to zone it out and then using it's effective hitboxes and Ptooie Ball to counter and deflect approaches.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
If we get the Amiibo, we must call it “Audrey III”.
Personally, if I had managed to get one, I would have called it Manchineel, after a tree with highly toxic fruit. Additionally, all parts of it produce a thick sap that causes blisters and burns. Standing under it during rain is dangerous in itself, as the rainwater will become dangerous from coming in contact with the sap! That's one dangerous plant, not unlike PP itself!

Curiously, while its fruit is lethal to humans, there are some iguanas that can eat them without any issues.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Personally, if I had managed to get one, I would have called it Manchineel, after a tree with highly toxic fruit. Additionally, all parts of it produce a thick sap that causes blisters and burns. Standing under it during rain is dangerous in itself, as the rainwater will become dangerous from coming in contact with the sap! That's one dangerous plant, not unlike PP itself!

Curiously, while its fruit is lethal to humans, there are some iguanas that can eat them without any issues.
I was going to go with the Blue piranha and name it "Willowwind", but damn I might have to take your suggestion.

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman

Dang, I was just going to go with Pimpy the Playa Plant....

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Thank you :)

On the topic of taunts, it seems that the sleeping animation shown is a taunt as well. As the Beefy Smash dudes pointed out, usually the sleep status is signaled by a pink flash on the model, which is absent.
Now, sleeping would actually make sense as a taunt as a reference to the Plants from Mario 64 (and it would be the most disrespectful taunt in the entire game)
With that in mind, we got the wild biting, the twirl and pose and the sleeping as taunts
Another small correction (I don't enjoy correcting people by the way, haha) but most filters are removed in character trailers. Samus notably doesn't flash white during her airdodge in the same trailer, and on the topic of Samus, the white overlay from having a stored charge shot is always gone in promotional material. I think the sleeping animation we saw might be just that, and not a taunt.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Another small correction (I don't enjoy correcting people by the way, haha) but most filters are removed in character trailers. Samus notably doesn't flash white during her airdodge in the same trailer, and on the topic of Samus, the white overlay from having a stored charge shot is always gone in promotional material. I think the sleeping animation we saw might be just that, and not a taunt.
Good observation, I actually never noticed this before...
Though one can dream about a sleeping taunt, right? :D

On the topic of Amiibo, I preordered mine yesterday (alongside a K. Rool amiibo) and I am yet clueless on what to name it or what color I will use.
This character in general gives me a hard time to select "my" color, so I'll have to see what sticks

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Good observation, I actually never noticed this before...
Though one can dream about a sleeping taunt, right? :D

On the topic of Amiibo, I preordered mine yesterday (alongside a K. Rool amiibo) and I am yet clueless on what to name it or what color I will use.
This character in general gives me a hard time to select "my" color, so I'll have to see what sticks
If only we could actually use taunts at all online ):

But I understand the dilemma with costume choice, Piranha Plant's costumes all look so good. And good choice getting a K. Rool amiibo too

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
If update 2.0.0 is anything to go by, and I think it is, then we shouldn't have much longer to wait.
Assuming we're going by the "major.minor.patch" designation that most companies use when naming their updates, the fact that we're jumping from 1.2.1 straight to 2.0.0 kind of implies that we're getting something major this week, most likely Plant since he's already been teased.
That said, if it turns out to just be a bunch of character changes and bug fixes, I'mma be a little pissed.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If update 2.0.0 is anything to go by, and I think it is, then we shouldn't have much longer to wait.
Yeah I really hope we get to play it within the week .
M'ready for it.

Assuming we're going by the "major.minor.patch" designation that most companies use when naming their updates, the fact that we're jumping from 1.2.1 straight to 2.0.0 means we're almost certainly getting something major this week, most likely Plant since he's already been teased.
That said, if it turns out to just be a bunch of character changes and bug fixes, I'mma be a little pissed.
Yeah really curious what's gonna turn up out of it. still is the plant im really really looking to :)

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I only just realized now I could click on the piranha plant to see the different costumes.
I like the pink one and the light blue one the most, but they're all cool :)

Top Bottom