• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax: Out in NA, It's Time You Burn That Dread

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm in SoCal all weekend streaming Smash, I'll try to get some games in with you guys next week.

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
I'll stop at 9:30 since I want to study.

ggs Tec. Got some replay worthy stuff there :]

My weakness against Shabrys is that I don't keep an eye on her Persona. I literally always saw myself getting bashed by it while I was looking at you, lol.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Good games Sakurazaki :D

Sorry for how I played early on, I uh lets just say my week hasn't been the best for a few reasons hahaha.

Jumping in is too fun.

I literally lost like 8 games for just getting ***** by 2B.

Oh well.

sakuraZaKi

NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
Yeah, you got your game on around the middle half of everything. That was good xD

My playstyle was really weird today as well. I haven't played with you guys since two weeks ago, so I kinda lost my usual self, and I was more aggressive than before. I guess it paid off a bit since it kept you occupied, but I'll look at those replays and see which I can work on to adjust and clean up.

Wish I had more time to play this...

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Haha, I'm in the same boat as you xD.

I would have more time if something incredibly dumb didn't happen to me but oh well.

You seemed pretty defensive to me, although that could be because the last two people I played were Minato(who did whatever because its Mina-chi) and Sion who played Akihiko.

So *shrugs* maybe its just from my perspective.

sakuraZaKi

NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
Yeah, just in regards to how I usually played, I was more aggressive. I usually don't do things like airdash 5A after my 2D makes contact. Just trying to find ways to get my unblockable, because I always did 2A before. I noticed today that I tend to jump a lot as a reaction in order to chicken block. I need to get out of that habit.

Also, I dunno about Shabrys, since her DP is tanky, but you were able to get through my unblockable setups. It might be because I have to time my held Agi right to keep you guarding (because I haven't gotten it right yet), but you always managed to DP your way out. I'll look into that.

But yeah, you got me good some rounds, like, I didn't even have a chance. Started going into panic mode and using Dia more when I shouldn't. I remember you also doing those air throws when I jumped away from your Hades on reflex.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I was actually just trying to get used to your Agi release timings and trying to DP as you let go to use my invincibility. Or that was my plan at least.

My plan was to keep doing it until you blocked it, but it seemed like it was working so I was just trying to do it more often. I think you actually did catch me a few times with your unblockable setup when I decided to just try to IB it. That or it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too hard to see which would hit me first, your persona's low or your air A.

Me doing the air throw was actually a prediction haha. Not to sound like I'm any good because lol.. but after a few times when I wanted to do a setup Sion taught me I realized you would just try to jump away to avoid the left/right mix up. So I just decided to do it and air grab haha. I was trying to think of things to do after that but I couldn't think of anything :<.

Oh well.

I'm mad because I was doing block strings with 2A in the lab and literally NEVER used it. I also forgot about my block strings completely. Freaking this game makes much less sense to me than Melee did.

sakuraZaKi

NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
Funny how differently we think on the same situation.

Well, I liked the air throw. You did it 3 times, I think. I was starting to catch on the air grab, but then the situation never came up again, lol.

As for the corner stuff: For Agi, assuming that the opponent techs ASAP, I should be releasing it once 2D reaches straight above you. I think I was always releasing it too early, but I dunno. Shabrys might just have the DP to get past it. I also tried baiting bursts and DPs but you never did them when I tried so I was sad. :[

But yeah, look up if Shabrys has any follow ups to air throws should the situation rise again.

And I feel the same way. Before we played, I was practicing a pretty nice combo from OMB. Never practiced it enough to get it into our matches. Melee doesn't have complicated blockstrings for the most part, lol.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Once you air threw me once I had the feeling you were catching on haha.

I know she does have a follow up with 2C but I can't really use it since I'm doing the laser haha.

I guess I could do the laser earlier but then the mix up is easier to see =/.

I wasn't really comparing block strings in both games haha. I mean the only maybe comparable thing in both are frame traps but really the two games have very few things that are similar. I was just saying when I learned melee, the game naturally made sense xD.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I know this is off topic, but hopefully anybody/everybody here that's on the East Coast, including the Maritimes up here is okay and doesn't wind up getting blasted by that hurricane coming through, and that if it's passed, everyone's good.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
My state went into a state of emergency for it actually.

Fortunately my town at least is perfectly fine, the storm might not have hit us yet though.

thanks though.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I'm pretty sure this storm is overblown. But they canceled classes for me for the next two days, so overblow away.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
None of Yukiko's high-low unblockable setups can really be forced with no outs for the opponent. Look at it this way - characters like Narukami and Chie can oki by making you either commit early to disrespect or get stuck blocking for 20 seconds, Yukiko can oki by making you either commit early to disrespect or eat a BnB.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Technically, yes, they're possible to block; I've yet to open up the Practice Dummy with any of my high/low unblockables.

Also, Score Attack Yukiko likes to mix in 2d 2a every once in a while, which surprised me.

Sion

Island of Horizon
5a, 2b, dp

everything under the sun can beat raging lion if it becomes obvious

i think A raging lion is unsafe on block so watch out for omc

Umby

Smash Master
Raging Lion is safer, obviously, the further away Yu is when you block it. If he ends up close, I think you gain a bit more advantage? Raging Lion A isn't really unsafe (-2 according to the wiki?), so you could probably punish if you IB it. Surprisingly (still looking at the wiki) Raging Lion B is safe on block, but the start up is obvious. If you're using Labrys, more than likely 2B will beat that out on reaction. I could try it out in a bit. In general, though, if it's spam, you can just call them out on it. Give it too much respect and you'll get some undeserved pressure.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If they're spamming it you might as well just DP or use an invulnerable super if you have one. DP is super-easy to input so you can probably even do it on reaction plus netplay lag.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
How do you beat Raging Lion spam?
Pretty much what everyone else said. Just remember that it's best to punish it before it hits you, if you can't, I suggest IBing. Raging Lion is deceptive like 5D where people think the hitbox is already out. If you try to punish on regular block, don't bother unless you have a 5 or 6 frame startup move. If you do, it won't hit him since he'll be able to block in time, but you're able to at least start your pressure. Even then, in some cases, you'll end up getting hit by 5A on CH if you time it wrong.

I don't like blocking it since Yu can just OMC and do 2A or air dash j.A.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I actually didn't know it had a deceptive hitbox. Nor would I have thought of OMC-ing it, but...then again I sometimes tend to prioritize meter more than I should.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
So is anyone going to the Atlus Fighting Championships on the 17th?

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Oh right, lol. I've been completely forgetting about my PS3 all week, since I've been more focused on my 3DS with my brain getting melted completely.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Okay, IK is clearly my worst idea lol. Thanks for punching it out of me early on.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
GGs, everyone. I'm done for the night. I'll join the next time there are lobbies.
Everyone seems to have learned new tricks the past weeks.

Top Bottom