• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax: Out in NA, It's Time You Burn That Dread

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Just got back from over 2 hours of traffic. Got to see the Madoka movie so it was well worth it.
Is a lobby going on or does anyone want to play? If it is, just post here and send me an invite. I'll be finishing up dinner.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I might hop on, might think "hey, I found my stride with Sakura in AE now" and go back to that, or be all "hmm...I'd better quit when I'm ahead and since it's almost midnight".

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Apparently it's my connection. I can't get a good connection with Sion. Lag spikes are happening somewhat frequently.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
For those of you who play with me regularly (especially those who regularly beat me), what are your suggestions for improvement? What do I need to work on to start taking the next step?
The only thing I can think of is doing better bursts. I honestly think your spacing is really good and you anti air at pretty good times. You're also pretty good at picking up habits.

Other than that, I suggest watching more videos of Labrys players. There are better combos, and you're also not doing any real oki setups. It's too much respect that I'm going to have enough time to 5A or something and you can't do anything about it with slow normals.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
The only thing I can think of is doing better bursts. I honestly think your spacing is really good and you anti air at pretty good times. You're also pretty good at picking up habits.

Other than that, I suggest watching more videos of Labrys players. There are better combos, and you're also not doing any real oki setups. It's too much respect that I'm going to have enough time to 5A or something and you can't do anything about it with slow normals.
Yeah, I feel silly because I just figured out today that Labrys can charge her DP for a fatal counter in those "stretch string" combos lol.

Sion

Island of Horizon
jam stunna, it wasn't you. it was the other players that i lag with lol

ggs, minato. i should be actively trying to find out ways to get out rather than dping lol. can't pin down your narukami tho 2gud

****in tec0 and his not being super free

come fight me f10 scrub

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
My win/loss ratio was larger than 0 what's wrong with you sion.

That was fun ggs Sion/Minato xD

Thanks for blowing up my habits hahaha

Sometimes I have awful smash habits gah.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I thought I played rather weird tonight. I couldn't react to Guard Cancels fast enough and it took almost the whole night to just realize that I should throw if my opponent is waiting to be in block stun. I also didn't respect oki at all.

And I dunno if this is just me, but I feel like you should almost always try and finish your combos instead of JCing to bait the burst. I'll only do that if I'm super confident or I know my opponent is too obvious on when they use bursts.

Also, salty that DP at the start of the round connected a lot. I kept going for an instant block so many times and failed.

Sion

Island of Horizon
if you're talking about akihiko 5b fc, i was dropping the burst bait os

other times it's just panic reaction

but yeah i'll work on that. it's a new thing for me and still trying to learn the ins and outs of bursts

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Yo, Jam.

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say, haha. Dat Minato wisdom.

Also, there are some pretty easy and useful combos you can learn that are green-to-red axe. You'll probably get blown up using them online (I know I do), but string oki set-ups are fun to play around with as well.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
You know, I'm debating if there's any value in switching my practice mode from Training Mode to Versus Mode against the CPU on slightly increasing difficulty to try and practice block reactions and such. I just got to thinking of it for this game because what I do to practice on AE is go to Versus mode, random my opponent, fight said opponent until I beat them twice in a row, random next one, repeat process, then when I feel comfortable up the difficulty and do the whole thing again. Like, that's my Training/Practice mode for that as I'm starting to get the idea that in general it might be better to test stuff on an enemy that is moving around and doing stuff instead, even if they have limited health. To which I expect a giant "no s--- Sherlock" from. :smirk:

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Yo, Jam.

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say, haha. Dat Minato wisdom.

Also, there are some pretty easy and useful combos you can learn that are green-to-red axe. You'll probably get blown up using them online (I know I do), but string oki set-ups are fun to play around with as well.
Yeah, I don't have many people to play with irl, and I'm trying not to center my playstyle simply around what works in netplay, but I fear I've been contaminated lol.

You know, I'm debating if there's any value in switching my practice mode from Training Mode to Versus Mode against the CPU on slightly increasing difficulty to try and practice block reactions and such. I just got to thinking of it for this game because what I do to practice on AE is go to Versus mode, random my opponent, fight said opponent until I beat them twice in a row, random next one, repeat process, then when I feel comfortable up the difficulty and do the whole thing again. Like, that's my Training/Practice mode for that as I'm starting to get the idea that in general it might be better to test stuff on an enemy that is moving around and doing stuff instead, even if they have limited health. To which I expect a giant "no s--- Sherlock" from. :smirk:
I actually think that's a pretty bad idea, because you'll find yourself learning to react to a CPU's playstyle, which is almost never representative of what human players do. What you should be practicing is blocking and hitconfirming, and you can do both of those things much better in training mode with the record and random block functions.

Sion

Island of Horizon
netplay can be kind of rattling at times and cpus can be good to practice on

jam stunna, you should look into some defensive options. guard cancels and rolling can be effective to get out because her labrys' dp is awful. other than that, minato, aisight, and lythium said pretty much what i wanted to say

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Hey Jam Stunna, I've got a random request for ya. If there's a Persona 4 lobby tonight, could you play me a couple of matches in AE either before or after? I kind of want to test out a theory I have.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'll be up for some games if there's another P4A lobby today. Hopefully my internet connection will stabilize.
If not, that's fine. I'll just be doing studying or playing Guilty Gear.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Hey Jam Stunna, I've got a random request for ya. If there's a Persona 4 lobby tonight, could you play me a couple of matches in AE either before or after? I kind of want to test out a theory I have.
Yeah, I can play some SF4 after I put my son to bed. Just hit me up.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You should only ever be moving one step ahead, realistically, but it's pretty much just a saying for completely having read a guy's decisions for X engagements in a row.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
If anybody's up for some games later tonight, I'll be on and available at around 10:30 EST (it's 8:24 now).

Edit: Er...make that 10:45pm-ish. Was supposed to start watching a 2 hour movie, but...it just got put on now, lol.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Whoever's head of the room, mind adding me?

I'm also recording but if you don't want to be recorded please say so I guess :V Nvm. Laptop can't handle it apparently and my main comp is processing other stuff. I'll record when it's done.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm gonna reset my router and change some stuff. I want to at least try one more time.
If not, I'm definitely done for the night since that was pretty bad.

Top Bottom