• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax: Out in NA, It's Time You Burn That Dread

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
i've never been in the fighting game scene . i played melty blood back in high school casually. but now i'm 22. i can do a basic bnb combo. i'm trying to do every aigis challenge mode. is that good start? i'm stuck on 24 that 5AA 22B combo is pretty hard, is there other ways to master this game, any suggestions? i'm going to play this game mostly online. since texas scene p4a is virtually non existent.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Challenge mode is good if you want to challenge your execution, but as for useful or optimal combos, you will not find much. There may be something that is usable hidden in it all but the best you will probably get is it helping out your execution a bit.

For optimal combos in any Arcsys game, Dustloop is the place to go, find your character forum and there should be a combo thread, find some combos you like that work.

Otherwise, like with any fighting game practice mode is your best friend. Challenge mode is essentially a practice mode with little options and a specific combo it wants you to complete, I personally don't think it is a complete waste, but everything you can do there can be done in practice mode. Once I feel like I have something down I like to just go to netplay and fight randoms to make sure I'm good.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
So, I started watching a bit of Super Norcal Install (it was the first Persona related thing I came across looking through my Youtube subscriptions) and noticed from the one Narukami I've come across at about...3 and something hours in (was flipping through to find one) that aside from doing a bit of 5A>2A>62A>A Raging Lion (sometimes swapping Raging Lion for hop>j.2A) pressure, and seeming to anti-air in the corner with some variant of 2B>stuff>j.C>stuff>j. B(?) Raging Lion, there seemed to be a corner combo he did a lot. It went something like AoA (uh...B ender possibly? Whatever ender finishes with the front kick that leaves them in the air a bit, but still level)>2B>(?) Raging Lion>2C>stuff.

The bit I'm talking about is at about 1:29:04 if anybody cares, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLNTjwInpd0&feature=plcp

I've got no idea who that Narukami is (well, I know it says the name but never heard of him), so this is kinda like me doing follow along commentary to things I notice (pretty much from the time bit listed above, on). Though, I do like the bit of jump back-dashing after air-throwing your opponent into the corner.

Of course, luckily Kanji/Narukami now. Sort of know of Black Mage (the Kanji) don't know the Narukami (Huey). Oddly enough the first round kinda went how things do when I play a Kanji, except for when he got him towards the corner it kind of made it seem like Kanji couldn't o much about the pressure except wakeup DP, which looked like B Raging Lion somehow clashed with (but I can't have seen that right, because that doesn't sound like it would work like that). Though...out of corner didn't go well. Was just about to comment on the odd amount of wakeup DP's I'm seeing from Huey, but apparently it beats out Kanji's DP. Though he switched from Narukami to Yosuke now so yeah, I'll probably just stop now and re-watch the whole 1:27:00 to I think...1:42:00-ish(?) period and 2 matches to try and see what I can pick up from there. Y'know, like what the Narukamis are doing, try to pinpoint why they would, why X probably didn't work, etc.

Hell, I know it's just basic level tourney play, but basic level tourney play is where I first have to get to if I want to get better, so I figure slow-stepping it instead of jumping into top level Japan where I won't understand half of what's going on. And hey, if there's any basic things or whatever from there or matches or something that I should primarily take note of, then by all means. Y'know, just trying to get an example going, and I'll admittedly probably wind up doing posts like this a bit the next little while. Though hopefully not this long each time, lol.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
...What? Pay a little less attention to what people are doing on wakeup and a little more on how they're accomplishing getting in through the neutral game. No, Yu DP does not beat out Kanji DP unless Yu starts his relatively late.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
...What? Pay a little less attention to what people are doing on wakeup and a little more on how they're accomplishing getting in through the neutral game. No, Yu DP does not beat out Kanji DP unless Yu starts his relatively late.
In other words that one instance there was more of an abnormality than anything.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It's perfectly explainable. Kanji DP'd and killed Izanagi, then a little bit later Yu DP'd. Yu's DP doesn't lose invulnerability until around the second hit, when he's already in the air, and by this point Kanji's DP had run out of active frames. Similar results could've been achieved by waiting the couple of frames for Kanji DP to finish and then just doing a normal, but Yu panicked and lucked out.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
It's perfectly explainable. Kanji DP'd and killed Izanagi, then a little bit later Yu DP'd. Yu's DP doesn't lose invulnerability until around the second hit, when he's already in the air, and by this point Kanji's DP had run out of active frames. Similar results could've been achieved by waiting the couple of frames for Kanji DP to finish and then just doing a normal, but Yu panicked and lucked out.

Hmm...sounds legit. Thanks for the explanation.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Panicked? My good sir, DP is a man's option.
I really don't feel like playing a game of how gutsy doing one thing over another is.

If an opponent in a corner straight up misses with his DP, DPing it when the threat is already over is one of the least damaging ways to punish the mistake.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
i think you missed what aisight was trying to say, lwx

sounds good, minato

I'm guessing his point was that there are a number of 3-4k combos that can be done to punish a whiffed DP as opposed to responding with another one that'll net you a mere 500-700 damage, correct?

And I might hop on. I haven't touched the game at all this week so far though, but tonight's as good a time as any.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm guessing his point was that there are a number of 3-4k combos that can be done to punish a whiffed DP as opposed to responding with another one that'll net you a mere 500-700 damage, correct?

And I might hop on. I haven't touched the game at all this week so far though, but tonight's as good a time as any.
My point is, doing the least risky (it costs no meter and is invulnerable on startup, thus apparently making it the man's option), least damaging (auto-combo would deal more and give more meter while you're at it) option has absolutely no conscious thought behind it. The Yu player saw his Persona get hit by something, and reacted by hitting B+D. There is nothing you should actually take out of that situation other than "some people's first reaction to something unexpected that looks threatening is DPing". You should not look for the situation of "if Kanji happens to DP my completely safe Izanagi block pressure I should think about how to get through it", you most certainly should not think "at certain really late timings Yu can beat Kanji's DP with DP". What you should look at is what happened just before that that caused Kanji to decide risking a DP against Yu's pressure.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
That was early september. Quite a while ago. So yeah, we both were playing pretty bad (minato was especially playing bad I think but REGARDLESS)

I'll forever remember that godhand crushing your gold burst. That was so delicious. :D

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Yeah, that's pretty good quality. And I'm not even going to be like "I'd prefer if you didn't record my matches since they'll suck" because I suspect it's a matter of "you'll learn better if you make yourself watch them", lol.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
When recording isn't automatic, you would feel that way. "That match really sucked, I misinputted like everything. Let's not record that one." I'll probably start recording every session I have if you guys don't mind. Yes, that means I'll get you on camera sooner or later livewire.

Also, tips on how to make it look even better. I recorded off from virtualdub with xvid codec at max quality and then deinterlaced and resized in avidemux. I tried rendering it in virtualdub but the file came out to be like 4 gbs for that one match. It doesn't make sense to me that recording smash actually looks better than the ps3 with the same device. I'm using a dazzle dvc 100.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Hmm, normally I just record it in XviD at 2.00 quantizer then re-encode it in XviD with deinterlace filter, both with VDub. Ensure that you're setting the proper codec for when you re-render the file, not just when recording, I guess, since those two settings are independent from each other. I'm not sure what you'd need 1.00 quantizer for, since Youtube's quality is kinda **** and it doesn't even support 60 fps so you don't need top quality feed for deinterlacing either.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
That quality seems pretty good for a Dazzle, and I've definitely seen worse, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Or you know, what aisight said. :V

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
When recording isn't automatic, you would feel that way. "That match really sucked, I misinputted like everything. Let's not record that one." I'll probably start recording every session I have if you guys don't mind. Yes, that means I'll get you on camera sooner or later livewire.

Also, tips on how to make it look even better. I recorded off from virtualdub with xvid codec at max quality and then deinterlaced and resized in avidemux. I tried rendering it in virtualdub but the file came out to be like 4 gbs for that one match. It doesn't make sense to me that recording smash actually looks better than the ps3 with the same device. I'm using a dazzle dvc 100.

I'm just messing, don't worry about it.

Also, to Aisight and Sion (I believe), you can just call me Livewire. L-W-X is just my PSN since it's an abbreviation of my SRK and Dustloop "LivewireX" account name. Just throwing it out there.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
People seem to always record online matches where I can't hit confirm anything from the connection. :(
Happened in BlazBlue before too.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I unfortunately won't be joining you guys 'cause I have prior arrangements with the local community, but hope you guys have fun.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Damn, they fixed the thing where red names don't show up on the match confirmation page in ranked.

That's going to make fixing this thing harder. :/

Has anyone else ever got stuck on the "disconnecting" pop-up in ranked, or is it just happening to me? Sometimes I will unsuccessfully connect to another player(I don't even reach the confirmation screen) and then I'm stuck with the "disconnecting" window, forcing me to restart my game, it's kind of annoying...

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
P4A has been the only one I've really been playing online.

I did try out BB for a little bit, nothing happened but I didn't play long enough to really test it. Maybe I should try again, I will get to test out GG in a few weeks.

It's a shame because I really like this game. :/

Sion

Island of Horizon
that's a shame, rutger =(

unfortunately i really don't know anything about connections and internet

anyways, i'm not sure if i should be setting up the lobby (i live in the middle of nowhere), but i will if i have to. i'll be on in 2-3 hours depending on how long my errands take.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I've been playing a lot recently, and while I can definitely see the improvement in my game from August/September, I still run into players who completely dominate me. I need to make the leap from god to really good, but I'm not sure how best to do it.

For those of you who play with me regularly (especially those who regularly beat me), what are your suggestions for improvement? What do I need to work on to start taking the next step?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Be less reliant on getting random hits in. People have trouble reacting to them on netplay, but offline you'll eat a lot of punishment for it, and online it just means that people are more DP-happy due to the lack of reactability. You're pretty good at waiting for people to kill themselves, the next step from there would be finding ways to bait out reactions with movement (and movement alone).

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Hm, only saw JamStunna on tonight so figured he was busy and the lobby thing wasn't going down. Guess that was the case, ah well. I'll just hop on whichever day the next one winds up being. And oddly enough, despite having a good night on AE, I seem to take my losses better on that. I'm not sure if AE's slower nature helps me with it, or if I just naturally expect to suck at it.

Top Bottom