• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax: Out in NA, It's Time You Burn That Dread

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Livewire, you really need to understand how spacing works. I don't know why you're doing 2A, 5D, or Raging Lions on a Yukiko full screen. Also those Ziocars. Especially the D versions. Unless it's to punish something or to call them out early on, there's no reason to do that. Doing that is asking for a Fatal Counter combo since you don't have meter to make it safe.

And I'm still not seeing any green or blue exclamation marks at the very least. :ohwell:

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
You're doing better though, I see him block some, lol.

But yeah, try to KNOW what you are pressing. When you're under pressure you seem to be pressing everything you can. Minato pointed out to me that you were mashing 5D and ended up with a throw. That's slow as heck.

And when you get comboed, continue to guard afterwards. I think I see you letting go to try to hit them after you get knocked down/tech, but it doesn't work that way here (besides wakeup shenanigans, lol). Just keep guarding until the pressure subsides and you have the room to airdash or dash the heck outta there. It's a lot safer to sit and wait for an opening than take the chance to get in a hit when in that situation, because odds are, they are trying to get an oki in.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Lol wake up 5D with narukami?

You might want to hold off on the blaz there livewire

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I saw it on 3 instances at least. It has 44 frames of start up, so I'm kind of confused.
If you're unsure on what to press against my oki and mixup, the correct answer most of the time is to just block.

If you're going to DP, it'll have to be before Izanagi hits you.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Good games everyone. If I had a nickel for every combo I dropped tonight, I'd have several nickels!

Sion

Island of Horizon
ggs guys

don't get too caught up on it. netplay does it to everyone

****in minato and his 20-0 or some crap

Minato

穏やかじゃない
GGs guys. I've been feeling under the weather for the past couple days, so it was probably a good thing the lobby didn't go on too long for me. I incorporated some new stuff I remember looking up, but I still haven't gotten some of the more practical OMB combos down yet. Everyone seemed to have leveled up, so I felt like I needed to go more rushdown now instead of just spacing towards the end.

Edit: Jam did beat me, and he spaced really well that match and took better calculated risks.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Lol wake up 5D with narukami?

You might want to hold off on the blaz there livewire

Lmao, like wakeup 5D with Noel would EVER be a good idea. :bee:

I want to say there might have been some connection/internet problems (I actually got disconnected from 2 Borderlands 2 games after and disconnected from PSN entirely on a 3rd after I left), since I'd be triple tapping forward trying to dash and I'd just take a step, I'd go for a 5A>5C>5D mixup and somehow get DP, or I'd get stuff that made no sense even to me, but I don't want to call johns on it, though if that truly is what it was, I'll admit it'd make me not blocking look a lot better as long as nobody goes "there's no air-blocking" lol.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Your connection with us is the same as our connection with you. We all blocked just fine.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again, 5D off of anything that's not oki is a bad idea. You'll only see me do it if I messed up a hit confirm. A lot of good players won't let you get away with it once they'll realize you and Izanagi are open for almost a full second.

But really, you did a lot of strange things. You got Jam to block a 5D, and you DP'ed instead of doing any type of mixup and got punished. Your only mixup was run up grab. You also got punished out of a normal blocked Cross Slash. If the opponent didn't IB, you're generally safe since the pushback makes it hard to punish aside from a few moves. You also got hit by my 5D for some odd reason (not 5DD) a lot.

I also didn't see any blue or green exclamation points in your matches. You just weren't blocking.

sakuraZaKi

NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
Ugh. After watching Stunedge matches apparently there is enough time after a full screen Maragi confirm for me to run ALL the way over there and connect a 5AA. At least for Teddie, anyway. I'll have to try this out tomorrow.

Tired...

Hold back Livewires. If you learn anything from today about P4A, it's hold back, lol.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Your connection with us is the same as our connection with you. We all blocked just fine.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again, 5D off of anything that's not oki is a bad idea. You'll only see me do it if I messed up a hit confirm. A lot of good players won't let you get away with it once they'll realize you and Izanagi are open for almost a full second.

But really, you did a lot of strange things. You got Jam to block a 5D, and you DP'ed instead of doing any type of mixup and got punished. Your only mixup was run up grab. You also got punished out of a normal blocked Cross Slash. If the opponent didn't IB, you're generally safe since the pushback makes it hard to punish aside from a few moves. You also got hit by my 5D for some odd reason (not 5DD) a lot.

I also didn't see any blue or green exclamation points in your matches. You just weren't blocking.

Well, like I said though, any raw 5D or out of place DP is by no means intentional. And unfortunately, exclamation marks or no exclamation marks if I hold back and down back when someone throws an attack my way, barring it being unblockable I just naturally expect it to register as a block. That being said, part of the reason I left the is because I could feel myself start to get frustrated and I was like "I....didn't tell you to do any of that, what're you doing?" so I thought it best to just take the step back then instead of letting it compound.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
And unfortunately, exclamation marks or no exclamation marks if I hold back and down back when someone throws an attack my way, barring it being unblockable I just naturally expect it to register as a block.
Uh, I'd expect it to register as a block too. If there's no exclamation marks when you get hit then it simply means you didn't block.

Regarding Maragi, it and counterhit fans actually give you a surprisingly long time to confirm into dash 5a, which is why you'll see me run in and go for it (and miss about half the time because I 5a late in netplay) nearly every time.

Umby

Smash Master
Nope, that I do not.
Definitely do that. That's time to spend on building your muscle memory for special move inputs and combos, on a base level. Heck, you could let the CPU opponent lose and just block for a while and see where things are going wrong (turn on your input history).

sakuraZaKi

NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
WHATS GOING ON.

That's what the lab is, lol. Lab -> experimentation/testing, etc.

Make the correlation...

Also, challenge mode is meh. The only thing it was maybe good for, imo was for me to memorize my BnB. then i just took it to training mode and practiced it there. I wouldn't recommend it as some sort of primary way to train yourself. I would even claim it useless for combo learning. There are lots of better stuff on Dustloop, anyway.

:phone:

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Why even challenge mode. You claim you printout like 8 pages of combos. You mean you do that but never practice?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Challenge Mode is used for giving neat ideas on how certain moves can link together, but for most of the harder ones they are either impractical or inefficient.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Why even challenge mode. You claim you printout like 8 pages of combos. You mean you do that but never practice?

I...actually never did a printout for Narukami. I said "I'll do it after I do a Juri one for AE2012" then I realized AE2012 has a crapton of stuff to where I'd have to narrow it down to like 16 pages at least, said "screw that for now" and forgot about the Narukami thing.

Livewire, this is relevant: http://www.dustloop.com/forums/content.php?433

Please read.

"vBulletin Message
The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later."

I'll try it again later on today. But thanks, Lythi. I appreciate it.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
xD I actually sent a PM to Livewires about training mode last night, but I guess Dustloop has everything.

What exactly are you printing out, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm kinda notorious for printing out long "training guides" that include the special/super moves/instant kills, a few matchup hints per one, and about 7-8 pages of combos (midscreen, carry, corner, throw, meter/meterless, character specific, etc) for whoever I'm using in a fighter at the time so that I can refer to that when I grind in training mode. I think I've actually sent out the word file I've used to people a few times before. So uh...it kinda makes sense to me that people would be like "you mean you didn't print out one for Narukami weeks ago?". :bee:

Crusayer

Smash Lord
I dunno how you are in SF but those pages of notes for noel clearly did not help that much. Either you focused way too much on things you would never do in a match or you simply do not practice lol

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I dunno how you are in SF but those pages of notes for noel clearly did not help that much. Either you focused way too much on things you would never do in a match or you simply do not practice lol

I focused too much on the combos themselves. When I got the starter for the combo to connect, I had those combos down pat 90% of the time. The issue is that I didn't put near enough focus on getting those situations to happen and the setups. So while, sure I could get the combo off, I was way busy trying the wrong things to get the situation off. Plus, I just hate good Tagers and Lambdas, lol. And either way, I'd argue it helped a good bit. I mean, I at least FELT like it was helping.

With SF it's kind of different because I have years of Alpha 3 experience to fall back on at least for basic fundamentals. However, since Alpha 3 and AE2012 are quite different, I've had to re-learn a bunch of things. Why, AE2012 Sakura just felt so different from the Alpha 3 Sakura I'd been used to all this time that I used Juri instead (though I'm sure I'll wind up trying her again at some point).

But yeah, I certainly practice, though it's I guess possible to be practicing 'wrong'. And I'll likely be on sometime tonight. Probably might try going on it sometime after 9.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Thanks for the games, LK. There aren't a lot of great Mitsurus over here so this was helpful.
Starting to figure out what I need to work on in that matchup and just in general now.

Top Bottom