• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax: Out in NA, It's Time You Burn That Dread

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
We'll stop at 7:30-ish PST. I have to do something :)

CRAP! Sorry about the room guys, my internet suddenly just went out. And the lag too. I usually have a really good connection.

Found my brother downloading games, lol.

It came back, but I g2g, Ggs everyone. Sorry we couldn't play Livewires. Some other time.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
THE ONLY TIME THE WHOLE NIGHT AAAAARRRGH

Good games, everyone. I really enjoy this game, so I hope you guys stick with it so we can keep playing! *looks at Minato*

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Done for the night, I landed my shock into Kanji IK. :D I'll keep the room open for LWX and Sion.

ggs to everyone
Minato's Yu is scary as ever but he only pulled it out a few times :<
Jam seems to be getting better about not falling into things
LWX and sakurazaki, just get some smoother movement and fundamentals down and things will come more naturally. Also, LWX stop DPing so much.
Sion, I'm so sorry. You've got a really nice Akihiko though, has me scared.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
GGs, everyone. I had to go since another friend wanted to do a few games.

@Jam I'll probably keep playing Persona. School's giving me less time to work with, but I'll probably squeeze in some time when I'm itching to play a fighter.

@Aisight I got careless and let go of block the instant Yukiko's IK came lol. I'm not too used to the Kanji matchup with my other characters. And for some odd reason, that Kanji grab and Liz's DP are two moves that make me slow on reacting, haha. That was fun though.

Sion

Island of Horizon
ggs aisight

pretty salty right now, but it should tide over in a few

a lot of my kanji knowledge is theory, so i guess i just need to play against him more. next time!

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I know how you feel on the salt, Sion. That whole bit was...admittedly kinda painful and a bit depressing at times. That losing streak is probably the biggest one-night losing streak since this game's come out and I was getting REALLY frustrated by things off and on at the end (such as that whole "well, the round was kinda close and - why does he have 75% health still? wtf?" bit). It's probably why you guys might have noticed that I'd lose a round that was close and then just look like I was mashing and not thinking the next.

Not gonna lie though, it was like any time I played Minato or Aisight my best bet at winning was just to put down the controller, lol. Thanks for letting Sion and I get some matches in. Oi, that "miss one thing and eat 6k damage that you can't do anything about but Burst" bit with Kanji and Akihiko. Or that double Labrys super actually, haha.

Edit: But on the plus side, I learned that B Raging Lion > 5B> 5C> stuff aerial combo is surprisingly harder to do than i'd practiced.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Edit: But on the plus side, I learned that B Raging Lion > 5B> 5C> stuff aerial combo is surprisingly harder to do than i'd practiced.
If it's a B Raging Lion in the corner and not an air one, I recommend doing j.C into j.214B after instead of 5B. It gives you a better combo. A tip on getting better in general is just thinking what you could've done better after the round and match. If you still don't know how to deal with what you're losing to, just watch how other people react to that situation in lobbies. If you mash and go autopilot, it's harder to improve.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Wut, Sion plays Akihiko now? What happened to S.labby? Why do you play characters that are totally not like Aoko lol.

That's so weird.

Sion

Island of Horizon
wow i just realized LWX = livewiresx

my bad, dude. ggs

i understand your frustration, but the decision you made to never block what i did to you and just keep pressing buttons was straight up disrespect to me as a player.

minato gives good advice.

edit: crusayer: he's a secondary. have you seen shabrys dittos? they're not fun and i never want to play them in my lifetime

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
wow i just realized LWX = livewiresx

my bad, dude. ggs

i understand your frustration, but the decision you made to never block what i did to you and just keep pressing buttons was straight up disrespect to me as a player.

minato gives good advice.

I assure you Sion, any lack of blocking was NOT for a lack of trying. :urg:

And Minato, I forget which number the combo I'm thinking of is, but I know it's a Challenge Mode combo (I believe....20, 21, or 22). It ends with a jumping Big Gambit > jumping uh...whatever the electric beam Super is called (can't remember now).

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
@Aisight I got careless and let go of block the instant Yukiko's IK came lol.
Yeah I was so confused about that, since it didn't look like you were in the middle of doing anything, haha.

LWX, you were seriously mashing DP way more often than anybody should. You should've gotten the message the moment I started consistently just blocking on your wakeup and punishing with command grab.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Is livewire not blocking in this game too :V

Can't escape just like in BB here haha

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
I had a few problems mashing Yukiko's DP at times. I think Sion remembers when I faced Akihiko a while back. I've actually let go of the game for a while, and today (when I got back to the game) I don't do it a lot anymore; probably once or twice I would whiff it and/or get baited. In any case, my mind was a lot clearer after coming back and I was totally chill today. At least I'm not like before playing 100~120 matches in a day and winning 9 of them, lol. My ranking percentile is so low XD

And thanks, aisight, I'm still getting used to the stick, so my ability to maneuver well is meh. Getting better everyday, though. What do you mean by fundamentals, if you don't mind me asking?

Again, sorry about the immediate leave. Duty called and fate helped, lol. I actually just got back. Would love to play with you all again. That was potentially the largest room I've been in with you SWF people.

:phone:

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
edit: crusayer: he's a secondary. have you seen shabrys dittos? they're not fun and i never want to play them in my lifetime
Shabrys dittos are all I play this game for though :3c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4o0WJkdFKE

Does that not look hilariously fun?

If you guys are playing tomorrow afternoon EST, I might be able to chime in.

I'm like, dying to play :<

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
And thanks, aisight, I'm still getting used to the stick, so my ability to maneuver well is meh. Getting better everyday, though. What do you mean by fundamentals, if you don't mind me asking?

:phone:
Fundamentals is referring to the basics and playing ability that can be applied universally to fighters. Things such as being able to feel out your options, your opponent's habits, and being able to play a solid game regardless of what unique combos or setups your character might have. I stress it myself, though I'm probably only average at best as far as that goes, but it definitely comes with experience and understanding of these games.

Anyway, I was feeling more like playing Kanji last night, but if you want next time we play I can use Yukiko and you might see something you like.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Yeah I was so confused about that, since it didn't look like you were in the middle of doing anything, haha.

LWX, you were seriously mashing DP way more often than anybody should. You should've gotten the message the moment I started consistently just blocking on your wakeup and punishing with command grab.

Well the thing is, when your Kanji (and Sion's Akihiko) got me in the corner, on account of using the character for literally 2 days, I wasn't sure what all of my options were. Like, if I hit D Persona, it'd be too slow to start up and get smacked, the same with C Persona. A wouldn't have range, B I was iffy on and tried for a few times (couple of which were accidental DPs as I went to link an A to a B in hopes I could 2B into a 214C). With the electric slide, I wasn't sure on the startup so while it might have worked, I wasn't sure. Raging Lion I figured I wouldn't been knocked out of the air, and fireball I thought would have a slower wakeup than I needed. So as insane as it sounds, I actually just came to the conclusion that I couldn't think of anything better to try.

And one thing that I think the board can probably universally agree is a big problem of mine Aisight, aside from me occasionally letting my losses get to me (like, I'd preferably win at least 45-60% of my matches since it at that point feels like "well, I lost to it the first 2 times, but figured it out the 3rd and 4th" so a string of losses sometimes doesn't sit well), is that I have a tendency to be pretty stubborn when I play. When I try something that I think SHOULD work or should have worked, I'll often try it a few times more (okay, sometimes that's putting it lightly) to try and force it to work. It's for whatever reason, really hard sometimes for me to go "well, that didn't work twice, so onto Plan B" since it's sometimes "I just need different circumstances". Of course, that probably makes no sense even explaining it, lol.

Is livewire not blocking in this game too :V

Can't escape just like in BB here haha

Hey, I got out of that in BB, even if that has Barrier so was semi-different. Still, remember when my first choice to get out of the corner was like j.4D and I'd waste bursts and crap like mad because I forgot you could burn some meter to push them off of ya or pass through 'em? But hey, at least my Assault Through obsession went down and found a kinda practical application.

Man, I missed out on this. ;-;

Oh well, there's always next time.

Yeah, no worries. And well, the less people know just how long that losing streak was before I got those 3 or 4 wins off, the better it is and the easier it is for me to play off like it was just a few in a row. :awesome:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Well the thing is, when your Kanji (and Sion's Akihiko) got me in the corner, on account of using the character for literally 2 days, I wasn't sure what all of my options were. Like, if I hit D Persona, it'd be too slow to start up and get smacked, the same with C Persona. A wouldn't have range, B I was iffy on and tried for a few times (couple of which were accidental DPs as I went to link an A to a B in hopes I could 2B into a 214C). With the electric slide, I wasn't sure on the startup so while it might have worked, I wasn't sure. Raging Lion I figured I wouldn't been knocked out of the air, and fireball I thought would have a slower wakeup than I needed. So as insane as it sounds, I actually just came to the conclusion that I couldn't think of anything better to try.
I'm looking at all of these options you listed off and not seeing "block" or "jump". If all you can seriously think of doing on your wakeup is pressing buttons, then that's the core of your problem.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Never ever use 5D raw with Narukami, especially in the corner. The start up is over half a second. It's just that some people think the hitbox is out earlier so they don't punish correctly, but it isn't. 5C starter is mostly used as a punish or a meaty if you know they like mashing. 5B is slow, so I wouldn't do that cornered if it isn't spaced correctly. If you're too close, you might get CH'ed with their 5A or something. Narukami's 5A is his fastest normal and is really good since it's a 5 frame start up. But like aisight said, you need to think about blocking and sometimes jumping instead of pressing an attack button.

If a Kanji has me paralyzed, you might see me do A Raging Lion if they're close. This is only if I'm trying to call out the command grab. Start up is long though, so if they didn't throw, you will get hit out of it. I'll do Ziocar if they're a good distance away to catch them low, but only if I have 50 SP to make it safe. A blocked Ziocar leaves you in crouching state which means a better punish for the opponent. Just remember that these two options are basically disrespect options to counter what you think they'll do though when you're paralyzed. It's not always going to work.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I'm looking at all of these options you listed off and not seeing "block" or "jump". If all you can seriously think of doing on your wakeup is pressing buttons, then that's the core of your problem.

Well yeah, obviously "block" is a given. I just figured it didn't need saying. And against a Kanji, I rarely jump to try and get out of the corner because he has that Anti-Air Persona grab.

Also, Minato does 2B have a slower startup than 5B? It looks like it does, but once or twice I've had it act like it doesn't. And does the jumping Big Gamble have a faster startup than the standing one or just appear that way? I ask because a couple of times in some games prior, I was able to sort of like hop Big Gamble and hit people with that as a counter more than normal Big Gamble. However, that could just as easily be a matter of people expecting that less.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I think you are heavily overrating Kanji's anti-air command grab. The only reason you should ever get caught by that raw is if you're being as predictable with wakeup jump as you currently are being with wakeup DP.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I think you are heavily overrating Kanji's anti-air command grab. The only reason you should ever get caught by that raw is if you're being as predictable with wakeup jump as you currently are being with wakeup DP.

Not gonna lie, Kanji's potential for damage output scares the living piss out of me half the time.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I think you should try playing some Kanji to get a better idea of just how he works as a character.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Also, Minato does 2B have a slower startup than 5B? It looks like it does, but once or twice I've had it act like it doesn't. And does the jumping Big Gamble have a faster startup than the standing one or just appear that way? I ask because a couple of times in some games prior, I was able to sort of like hop Big Gamble and hit people with that as a counter more than normal Big Gamble. However, that could just as easily be a matter of people expecting that less.
2B has a faster startup than 5B, but longer recovery frames. Yu's DP should have the same startup on air and ground. Hopping is pretty weak as a offensive tool in this game, imo. Hopefully you don't mean hop into DP on wakeup though. The risk reward of it isn't great since you can't block at all during hops and you're not dealing a lot of damage at the same time converting your health into blue health.

To be honest, the only time I do DPs in combos is if air Raging Lion won't work in a situation or if I want to DP into Super Cancel to force myself into awakening. Outside of combo, it's for some mindgames, reversals, or reacting to a burst.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
2B has a faster startup than 5B, but longer recovery frames. Yu's DP should have the same startup on air and ground. Hopping is pretty weak as a offensive tool in this game, imo. Hopefully you don't mean hop into DP on wakeup though. The risk reward of it isn't great since you can't block at all during hops and you're not dealing a lot of damage at the same time converting your health into blue health.

To be honest, the only time I do DPs in combos is if air Raging Lion won't work in a situation or if I want to DP into Super Cancel to force myself into awakening. Outside of combo, it's for some mindgames, reversals, or reacting to a burst.

Well yeah, I kind of think hopping on wakeup is 90-something percent of the time a bad idea. Usually when I did it, it was from a bit away, so it would bait them into getting closer and I could punish with it a bit. Though as for DP, can't you use it in the air to link into Ziodyne as an air combo ender from j.BB and either a second j.BB or j.ABC (I forget which)?

Edit: Also, I'll be online in like 10-15 minutes after I remember to get my laundry going.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Well yeah, I kind of think hopping on wakeup is 90-something percent of the time a bad idea. Usually when I did it, it was from a bit away, so it would bait them into getting closer and I could punish with it a bit. Though as for DP, can't you use it in the air to link into Ziodyne as an air combo ender from j.BB and either a second j.BB or j.ABC (I forget which)?
If they're a bit away, I still wouldn't hop. In that situation, you're both most likely neutral, so there's no reason to put yourself into a situation that is a guessing game or disadvantage. I'd rather use that time to re-position my character. As for DP, yeah, you can. Air B Raging Lion deals more damage though. I will use DP if the proration is too high or whatever. It'd be bad if I happen to get hit afterwards, my blue health from the DP and the super cancel would disappear.

Top Bottom