• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

People who use top tier characters are the worst at the game.

xxhyosukexx

Smash Apprentice
Why play brawl professionally if you are going to lose? You might as well play with the best characters so you can get good faster.

Theres only so much "thats my favorite character, even if he is low tier" can do for you.
i love your sig.thats one of the best aqua teens ever.i even have it on my ipod.

on topic,whateva you wanna do.i started melee with falcon cuz i liked him...eventually i extended to both "good" (fox,falco,marth) and characters i just liked(pika,mario).
as for brawl,i plan on becoming good with as many characters as i can including pika,pokemon trainer and rob(who some people say arent that great)as well as characters that many are already saying rock sox(diddy and wolf).

S0crat3s

Smash Apprentice
Scrub topic. This topic wasn't necessary. Seems like you're tired of getting beat by Fox players.
First of all, it's "beaten," not "beat"...

Second of all, saying that you shouldn't let tier ranking be the sole decider of character mains isn't a "Scrub topic"...A "Scrub topic" would be "hay tourney***s r dum cus thay dun use iytums," or "no items fox only final destination"...If you play better as Jiggs than you play as a higher tier character doesn't mean that you should give up Jiggs and main Fox...He means that you should play as whoever you feel most comfortable with, can play most reliably with, and whose playstyle fits yours...A "play to win" mindset isn't bad, the drive to win is what makes us competitive, is it not? But sometimes "playing to win" doesn't cut it, sometimes you should play to learn...

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
Why? I have a strict code of conduct in casual and friendly matches, but I let myself get into my opponent's mind and make them frustrated (which has a negative effect on your game)...My opponent might hate me for it, but at the end of the game, win or lose, I greet my opponent with a "good game, you played very well," a gentlemanly handshake, and a small, courteous bow...
You can't L cancel in brawl. You said you did L cancelled U-airs to taunt. That = Epic loss.

AthrunZala

Smash Journeyman
I agree that people should use whatever character they want, but if you're using Sheik/Fox/Marth for the sole reason that you lose with the others, and dare to call yourself a "pro", you're mistaken. That would only make you a n00b who needs the perfect character to stand out.
most pros can play with any char and beat most of us. i have placed high at some tournaments in ny and i dont even consider myself pro. just because they use higher tier chars to go and win tournaments doesnt mean that if they played you with lets say pichu or kirby that they would lose. when you get to the higher level of play the char that you choose actually does mean a lot. its all about char match ups. anyone who is a fighting gamer would know this. it exist in all fighting games. cirtain chars match up better against other chars. so saying someone is a noob only means that you really know nothing about the higher level of smash play.

also those people who keep using gimpy as a crutch, please stop. you would have a better argument with lets say... chu dat or bum or mango. lets not forget that azen is also godly with all chars. its nothing against gimpy as he is a cool dude but there are much better people in melee who you could point out.

so in conclusion it is not bad and doesnt make you a noob or a worse player just because at the highest level of play you use the chars that have the better match ups which is what the tier list is all about.

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
4) Hmm...I do taunt after awesome kills, but other times, I either get into a better tactical position, a bunch of L-cancelled uairs, or a Fire Bird into the ground...Taunting isn't bad, but it's good for adding insult to injury (besides, you can't attack during it, which adds even more insult...I'd say that it is the equivalent of lying down in a napping position after knocking down an opponent in a boxing match)...
Epic Loss.

He said it right here.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
I agree that people should use whatever character they want, but if you're using Sheik/Fox/Marth for the sole reason that you lose with the others, and dare to call yourself a "pro", you're mistaken. That would only make you a n00b who needs the perfect character to stand out.
You're right, how DARE anyone choose any character over Bowser or Mewtwo just because they lose with them? ...

Ignorance at its finest.

VVayfarer

Smash Journeyman
You're right, how DARE anyone choose any character over Bowser or Mewtwo just because they lose with them? ...

Ignorance at its finest.
I was talking about all the characters under Top Tier. :ohwell:

most pros can play with any char and beat most of us. i have placed high at some tournaments in ny and i dont even consider myself pro. just because they use higher tier chars to go and win tournaments doesnt mean that if they played you with lets say pichu or kirby that they would lose. when you get to the higher level of play the char that you choose actually does mean a lot. its all about char match ups. anyone who is a fighting gamer would know this. it exist in all fighting games. cirtain chars match up better against other chars. so saying someone is a noob only means that you really know nothing about the higher level of smash play..
VVayfarer said:
I didn't say that you're a n00b if you use high tier characters to win, but if you use them because you lose with all the others.

YSM

Smash Apprentice
Yes and no. I do agree that people should be encouraged to use their favorite character...I plan on maining PT, and I might use Yoshi a lot just because everyone hates on the poor dude. In Pokemon, I use Scizor, and even though he isn't OU(overused), I own with him. That being said, the rest of my team is made up of 4-5 OU, and 1-2 BL(borderline, where Scizor falls). I'd love to be able to make a team of Scizor, Charizard, Kabutops, Flareon, Yanmega, etc, but if I want to compete with the best, that simply can't happen. Now, all of those Pokemon(minus Flareon) CAN be used competitively, but not together. They must be a perfect fit on the perfect team. On the same hand...it's fine to use characters who simply aren't as good in SSB if they're your favorite. In fact, I recommend you do so, for the sake of bringing some originality to the metagame. But when you're facing people equal to, or perhaps slightly better than yourself, you can't do that. If you want to win against the best, you've got to use the best. It's simply, really. So use your favorites in fun matches, in unimportant tournaments, etc. But in big tournaments where the best of the best will do battle, don't expect to see much of Yoshi or Donkey Kong. This doesn't mean they're bad characters(just watch Samurai Panda with DK!), it simply means they aren't the wisest choice when you're battling players in the best in the world

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
I don't really hate people who use high tier characters in general. I know a guy that mains Falco because he likes Falco's playing style. But I hate guys that only use high tier characters, and only because they're high tier, thinking that it's the only way to win.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Play to win n00b.

Also, many people play certain characters...because they have fun playing as those characters. Even if they particularly like the characters themselves, they may just like certain styles. I like fast swordsmen, so I picked up Marth. After a while I researched where Marth came from and liked him even more.

There is nothing wrong with liking a character because that character is good. You may just be a person that likes a certain style that happens to be good in general (like people who like really fast characters, or people who like swift swordsmen). Or you may just enjoy winning and want to give yourself the best chance to win you possibly can. It's called playing to win.

Fear

Smash Journeyman
Professional matches should be fun to watch; when everybody uses the exact same tactics (whether or not those tactics are the "best"), the game becomes stale.
stale to nubs, nub. you obviously dont understand what they are doing.

AsuraWeapon

Smash Cadet
i've mained Mewtwo from 2 days after Melee launched... and while i've had my uphill battles, i've predominately won in my various social groups and a few small tourneys... it's only in this past year that i've really put some thought and effort into playing as Sheik or Marth and i find they're too easy to play as... i'm glad i played "bottom tier" for six years...

battousai555

Smash Ace
Play to win n00b.

Also, many people play certain characters...because they have fun playing as those characters. Even if they particularly like the characters themselves, they may just like certain styles. I like fast swordsmen, so I picked up Marth. After a while I researched where Marth came from and liked him even more.

There is nothing wrong with liking a character because that character is good. You may just be a person that likes a certain style that happens to be good in general (like people who like really fast characters, or people who like swift swordsmen). Or you may just enjoy winning and want to give yourself the best chance to win you possibly can. It's called playing to win.
By telling people how to play, you're no better than the OP. I go to tournaments and have fun just playing the game. Hella 2-stocked my Ganon with his Falco (when I still sucked), and I still had a lot of fun learning new things from playing him. Playing to win is perfectly fine, but I think playing to learn and get better (which means playing people better than you and often LOSING) is equally fun/important.

VVayfarer

Smash Journeyman
Play to win n00b.

I agree. There is nothing wrong in playing with a good character. That doesn't directly make you a bad player at all. But if you chose a Top-Tier character only because it's your only way to win, that would be a different matter altogether.

And I think we can all agree with this: we all play to win. Why else would we be on the smashboards?

pirkid

Smash Lord
Tired Don Exits. It's true, look it up.

I'm glad I actually like Falco as a character then, because apparently I'm not allowed to use characters I don't like.

I never liked Ganon. Then I used him twice. Loved the character. Looked him up a few times. Seemed epic. Got to see him in Twilight and loved him moar.

Is there something wrong with starting as Marth and then turning gay?

And so forth.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
"Taunt when you get the chance." Only worthwhile if you have a good taunt like Mario's.

Terrorcon Blot

Smash Journeyman
So in conclusion:

Playing top tier characters - sure that's fine.

Playing top tier characters because you think they're a win button - That's lame.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
If moneys involved. Then playing high tier characters because there a win button is fine as well.

Any advantage in tourney play is godsend.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
Now that I've gotten your attention with a ridiculously overgeneralized statement...
You didn't. I read the text that popped up while holding the mousepointer over the threadtitle, and never clicked it. But now I clicked on it, just to post this quote that stated that I didn't give you attention, and that I posted this quote just to point that out. But obviously, I was wrong.

EDIT: I totally not agree with you. I play both Falco and Ness.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
By telling people how to play, you're no better than the OP. I go to tournaments and have fun just playing the game. Hella 2-stocked my Ganon with his Falco (when I still sucked), and I still had a lot of fun learning new things from playing him. Playing to win is perfectly fine, but I think playing to learn and get better (which means playing people better than you and often LOSING) is equally fun/important.
You missed the entire point of my arguement. The first line was just a sarcastic and general statement posted to lighten the mood. The second paragraph was simply stating that some peole really do like characters because they are good, and there's nothing wrong with that. I used my example that I like Marth because he's fast and has a long sword. It just so happens that having speed and range gives a character an advantage. Am I to be penalized for liking those qualities that typically make a character good?

shortwanabelaker

Smash Journeyman
i only played fox in 64 cuz his reflector owned in items matches (which is what my friends and i played) and i use him in melee cuz of my attachment from 64

WeeklyJumpman

Smash Journeyman
Now that I've gotten your attention with a ridiculously overgeneralized statement, hear me out. Now, if you've used Fox, Falco, Marth, Shiek, etc because you genuinely liked the characters, then that's perfectly fine. It's acceptable because you have an attachment to the characters that allows you to play them well.

However, if you use any of those just because they're considered the "best", then I honestly don't think you have the mindset to play well at Smash. That's because winning is your goal, not to have fun. No no, I'm not condoning all items on Brinstar; I like playing FD as much as anyone. But what I mean is that your playstyle lacks soul. Because you pick the strongest character, you're admitting that you aren't capable of using a lesser character. One of the reasons I admire Gimpyfish is because of his insistence to use Bowser. Everybody considers Bowser one of the worst in the game, but Gimpy uses him anyway, simply because he likes him and got good with him. It's this kind of mindset that has made him one of the most recognizable Smash players.

In Melee, my main was Jigglypuff, simply because I was a large Pokemon fan, and I enjoyed Jiggly's floatiness and aerial attacks. She suited my playstyle perfectly and my friends recognized me as a beast when I used her. Not to mention, she's capable of wrecking professional Fox and Falco players with ease.

I also think it's acceptable to play with a character simply because you like his playstyle. I was going to use Pokemon Trainer in the upcoming Gamestop tourny, but after playing the game I realize that he's too difficult to quickly get a hang of. However, I found that Lucas's playstyle matches mine perfectly, and even though I've never played Mother 3, I already see him as a valuable player. Besides, he has awesome hair.

Anyway, I think that if you truly want to become great at Smash, you should just ignore the tier lists, and play with who your heart tells you to. If your character of choice ends up being poor, use him anyway.

Also, we need more people who taunt in the middle of matches. Taunting is your way of saying "Hey look, I'm leaving myself wide open, and there's nothing you can do about it! Nyah nyah~" So do it every time you get an awesome kill. Just makes things more fun.
You're exactly right on everything, bud.
Use who you truly like and get good with them, despite how they rank on the "tier-lists".
The true professional is the one who has the most fun with the game.

I'm amazed that I'd never realized that "weaker players" rely on tiers... when it's so true...

Sun-Wukong

Smash Journeyman
I know what you mean, at least as far as the using the character you're best with thing at least. If you suck at using a character, there's no real reason to use them even if they're your favorite. I used to use Link all the time because I love Loz. I had fun, but he never really clicked. I tried other characters for a while knowing nothing of tiers, and temporarily mained a lot of characters. Sheik, Jiggly Puff, Ness, Peach, Capt. Falcon, Yoshi, just to name a few.

After finding out about tiers and competitive play in general, I tried using Marth and Fox and other "good" characters, and I was okay, but none of them clicked either. Then I tried Bowser, I had fun and practiced and got good with him, I thought I had found my main. Until I decided to try out other characters, and I found another main, who I still use to this day. Ganondorf fits my play style perfectly, and playing as him just feels natural to me. Best of all, I still have fun playing.

I really don't have anything against people who use High Tier characters though. You have your reasons and that's fine by me. You may just like using them, or you may not be good with anyone else. I'm not really good with anyone besides Ganondorf (And Roy, to a lesser extent). So I'd be a hypocrite if said you shouldn't.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
I don't understand the argument of "you don't play for fun, you just play to win."

Is winning NOT fun?

Also, I agree and disagree. I'm pretty much a double-mainer: Young Link and Marth. I play them equally, but I stick to Marth in serious matches. It doesn't mean I don't have fun with Marth, it means I use him when I want to win.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
*looks at topic title*
Actually, people who use low tier are usually worst at the game because their characters hold them back.
Hell yeah, Young Link!

Terrorcon Blot

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand the argument of "you don't play for fun, you just play to win."

Is winning NOT fun?

Also, I agree and disagree. I'm pretty much a double-mainer: Young Link and Marth. I play them equally, but I stick to Marth in serious matches. It doesn't mean I don't have fun with Marth, it means I use him when I want to win.
"It's not about the destination, it's the journey getting there".

Spellman

Smash Ace
People play the game and have fun no matter what their intent is, I.E. going to tournaments, playing at home, and winning in general.

It's actually the sore losers that lose the most.

Sliq

Smash Master
Now that I've gotten your attention with a ridiculously overgeneralized statement, hear me out. Now, if you've used Fox, Falco, Marth, Shiek, etc because you genuinely liked the characters, then that's perfectly fine. It's acceptable because you have an attachment to the characters that allows you to play them well.

However, if you use any of those just because they're considered the "best", then I honestly don't think you have the mindset to play well at Smash. That's because winning is your goal, not to have fun. No no, I'm not condoning all items on Brinstar; I like playing FD as much as anyone. But what I mean is that your playstyle lacks soul. Because you pick the strongest character, you're admitting that you aren't capable of using a lesser character. One of the reasons I admire Gimpyfish is because of his insistence to use Bowser. Everybody considers Bowser one of the worst in the game, but Gimpy uses him anyway, simply because he likes him and got good with him. It's this kind of mindset that has made him one of the most recognizable Smash players.

In Melee, my main was Jigglypuff, simply because I was a large Pokemon fan, and I enjoyed Jiggly's floatiness and aerial attacks. She suited my playstyle perfectly and my friends recognized me as a beast when I used her. Not to mention, she's capable of wrecking professional Fox and Falco players with ease.

I also think it's acceptable to play with a character simply because you like his playstyle. I was going to use Pokemon Trainer in the upcoming Gamestop tourny, but after playing the game I realize that he's too difficult to quickly get a hang of. However, I found that Lucas's playstyle matches mine perfectly, and even though I've never played Mother 3, I already see him as a valuable player. Besides, he has awesome hair.

Anyway, I think that if you truly want to become great at Smash, you should just ignore the tier lists, and play with who your heart tells you to. If your character of choice ends up being poor, use him anyway.

Also, we need more people who taunt in the middle of matches. Taunting is your way of saying "Hey look, I'm leaving myself wide open, and there's nothing you can do about it! Nyah nyah~" So do it every time you get an awesome kill. Just makes things more fun.
You don't seem to realize that really good players can beat lesser players with low tiers. They simply choose higher tiers against people on their level to maximize their win potential.

Also, anyone that agrees with this *******.

100$ Money Match; your ANYTHING vs. my Link/Roy?

No? Then shut your mouth.

Truce

Smash Cadet
Bob, even though I agree that it's better to use a character you like over one that's "high tier", it seems unreasonable to expect everyone to follow your ideals. What if your protocol for liking a character requires that you're able to do well with them in Smash? What if you appreciate a character more after you get your *** handed to you by them, and subsequently convert?

You'll get more respect from me for using a character regardless of tiers, but in Melee, let's be honest, people would frequently get ruined by higher characters for doing so. I hope that Brawl is more balanced enough that choosing your favourite won't = fail as often, but I don't recommend telling people how to play. As a rule, people don't like it.

Top Bottom