• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

People who use top tier characters are the worst at the game.

J-PiPe

Smash Rookie
you like to play a broke character, play a broke character.

you like to play a character that's not, then do so.

either way, who cares? shut up and play the game. simple.

RednaXale

Smash Apprentice
Most characters, if not all, have a rival.
So I don't have a main, I play (almost) every character and pick which one will suit the situation best.

Thingy Person

Smash Journeyman
I'm also starting to think that the tier list represents how easy the characters are to use. And the fact that the tier list is based on how often people win with those chars, I'm seriously starting to question the Smash community.

The same with this absurd mindset around L-cancelling; "Without it, Link's Dair has become useless again". No, you just turned it into a n00b attack before and now you get punished for screwing it up. It's a powerful move, so use at your own risk.

SFan414

Smash Cadet
You really should play with who you like, not who's god tier. Now I don't know a lot about tiers, but I like to use lower tier characters like Samus, Link, and Dr. Mario. But now my friend is obsessing about "TOURNAMENT LEGAL" sh*t, do you know how long it's been since I've even SEEN an item in Melee?!? He always uses f-ing Marth, and he's cheap with him too. (and he tells me not to be cheap)

Now I'm not saying that high tier characters are bad, but you ought to use characters you have an attachment to, even if they are low tier. Mix it up a little.

And IMO, having items and stage hazards shows your skill even more than ONLY "Final Destination, No Item" matches. Because it shows your ability to focus on the problem at hand while still fending off your foe.

Kensei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kenseithomas
I played as fox in SSB64 then went on to falco because he played like fox and in brawl im going to diddy because I love him. I don't reallly care about tiers because I don't even like most of the low tier chars.

If Diddy is gonna be low tier then I'll still play as him ( although I doubt he will be)

majora_787

Smash Hero
thats an oxymoron.

the tier list is a census of characters that have won the most in tournaments

emphasis on won
...So hold on, the reason tier lists even exist is because so many people MAIN the best characters, then go in tournaments and win? ...Honestly, I have a feeling only 20-30% of those people mained their main for fun.

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
...So hold on, the reason tier lists even exist is because so many people MAIN the best characters, then go in tournaments and win? ...Honestly, I have a feeling only 20-30% of those people mained their main for fun.
People choose who they want to play as, because they want to.
How can you say "playing to win" isn't fun?
Obviously people who play with top tiers have found something they like about the character's play style. Who are you to decide who everyone wants to play as?

The game doesn't say to their face "BE THIS GUY", they made that decision themselves.
They like the character, because they like winning, and they know how to win with that character.

I am not a bowser main, and playing as bowser just isn't any fun to me, because his jumps feel so asthmatic. You can't tell someone to like another character's play style, because sure it takes a lot more skill to win with Bowser, but I'm sure jumpy aerial attacker type people won't find him that much fun.

Staco

Smash Champion
good thread
look me, I play kirby in ssb64 only, because I like him
and I will play metaknight in ssbb, because I liked him before, dan he is one of my love characters
I play shyguy in mscf in every team, not because he is good, only because I like him ^^

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Topic fail for the following reasons.

However, if you use any of those just because they're considered the "best", then I honestly don't think you have the mindset to play well at Smash. That's because winning is your goal, not to have fun.
winning = fun

And even if you're not winning you're likely to still have fun. I remember my first smashfest. I one half my matches and lost the other half, but I didn't become suicidal because I lost.

Also, we need more people who taunt in the middle of matches. Taunting is your way of saying "Hey look, I'm leaving myself wide open, and there's nothing you can do about it! Nyah nyah~"
So, how old are you TC?

Blu-ninja

Smash Journeyman
im just going by experience.

at the tourney i went to im pretty sure most didnt know much about fox..
(and where mostly concerned with his..."techs"...)
but i suppose you dont need to know a character fully to enjoy them...

you may have a point.

Grodus5

Smash Rookie
I'm not a hardcore Smash player, well I wasn't in Melee, but I plan to change that in Brawl, so I didn't look up tier lists. My bro mained ROy for a short time, and liked it, and I wanted to main Marth, not knowing he was on of the best. However, that didn't go to well, because I'm better with Dr. Mario then Marth:)

majora_787

Smash Hero
People choose who they want to play as, because they want to.
How can you say "playing to win" isn't fun?
Obviously people who play with top tiers have found something they like about the character's play style. Who are you to decide who everyone wants to play as?

The game doesn't say to their face "BE THIS GUY", they made that decision themselves.
They like the character, because they like winning, and they know how to win with that character.

I am not a bowser main, and playing as bowser just isn't any fun to me, because his jumps feel so asthmatic. You can't tell someone to like another character's play style, because sure it takes a lot more skill to win with Bowser, but I'm sure jumpy aerial attacker type people won't find him that much fun.
Yeah, that's exactly what my post said. Main this guy, not who you've been maining, or you suck. /sarcasm

Learn to read before you quote, it helps usually.

Anyway, I really don't understand why people decide to main characters because they're top tier.
everyone I know does it.
And it's annoying as hell. More annoying than Pit's english voice. And you know what's worse? When they play as someone top tier and I win, they have a pissy fit because I also main Mewtwo, and use him while they play as Falco or something. <_< Do they do it to annoy casual gamers, or is it just a seriously annoying habit?

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
Aren't tiers partially based on what characters win tournaments? So people using top tier chars are actually the best :p

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Now that I've gotten your attention with a ridiculously overgeneralized statement, hear me out. Now, if you've used Fox, Falco, Marth, Shiek, etc because you genuinely liked the characters, then that's perfectly fine. It's acceptable because you have an attachment to the characters that allows you to play them well.

However, if you use any of those just because they're considered the "best", then I honestly don't think you have the mindset to play well at Smash. That's because winning is your goal, not to have fun. No no, I'm not condoning all items on Brinstar; I like playing FD as much as anyone. But what I mean is that your playstyle lacks soul. Because you pick the strongest character, you're admitting that you aren't capable of using a lesser character. One of the reasons I admire Gimpyfish is because of his insistence to use Bowser. Everybody considers Bowser one of the worst in the game, but Gimpy uses him anyway, simply because he likes him and got good with him. It's this kind of mindset that has made him one of the most recognizable Smash players.

In Melee, my main was Jigglypuff, simply because I was a large Pokemon fan, and I enjoyed Jiggly's floatiness and aerial attacks. She suited my playstyle perfectly and my friends recognized me as a beast when I used her. Not to mention, she's capable of wrecking professional Fox and Falco players with ease.

I also think it's acceptable to play with a character simply because you like his playstyle. I was going to use Pokemon Trainer in the upcoming Gamestop tourny, but after playing the game I realize that he's too difficult to quickly get a hang of. However, I found that Lucas's playstyle matches mine perfectly, and even though I've never played Mother 3, I already see him as a valuable player. Besides, he has awesome hair.

Anyway, I think that if you truly want to become great at Smash, you should just ignore the tier lists, and play with who your heart tells you to. If your character of choice ends up being poor, use him anyway.

Also, we need more people who taunt in the middle of matches. Taunting is your way of saying "Hey look, I'm leaving myself wide open, and there's nothing you can do about it! Nyah nyah~" So do it every time you get an awesome kill. Just makes things more fun.
If you're talking about in tournaments, then you're an idiot. Tournaments are about winning, so of course a lot of people are going to use the best characters. If you're talking about casual, you're still wrong. Link is one of the most picked characters and he's mid tier.

I don't know why people get so worked up over who anyone else uses. Just use whoever you want, and don't worry about who other people pick.

And for the record, winning is fun. If you're not trying to win then you aren't playing the game right. That's like playing frogger and intentionally staying on the side of the road you start on. "It's not about crossing the street. It's about having fun."

Viscano

Smash Apprentice
I main Pikachu, Yoshi, and G&W. Mid Tier FTW

But yeah, I kinda agree with the TC... I could practice for 20 minutes with Marth and beat a Pichu master who gave sweat and blood to master him.

I hope this makes sense.

Samochan

Smash Master
The people who use top tiers are actually really smart. They select characters that have loads of potentials and do not restrict gameplay, while low tier users use characters that cannot do much and have so many disadvantages. With high tiers you can practically do everything you want, while with low tiers you basically have only half of their movelist on your disposal cause the rest are so sucky it's only in extremely situational cases where you could use a certain move. And for the record, even while someone is insane with kirby or bowser or mewtwo or whatever, they cannot compare to how insane you can be with fox, marth, sheik etc. cause the characters abilities themselves are restricted. Even if the player had what it takes to be, superinsane and beat-em'-all, he cannot do so (at least not very effectively) with character like kirby, cause characters not named fox/sheik/marth blow compared to those three and even more when we move lower on the tier list. You cannot, for example, techchase with kirby as you can with fox, marth, sheik... heck, even if you guess where they're gonna go perfectly you still cannot do much against other characters than GW lol, while with forementioned 3 you simply need to react quickly to be able to punish 10 times more severely than any kirby could.

-sonny-

Smash Journeyman
If you play competitively, you absolutely need a high-tier backup in the case that you need to use it. Otherwise, there are a ton of "pro's" that use lower tier characters. It's just stupid to not know how to use any of the high tier characters and expect to do very well in a tournament.

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
One of the reasons I admire Gimpyfish is because of his insistence to use Bowser. Everybody considers Bowser one of the worst in the game, but Gimpy uses him anyway, simply because he likes him and got good with him.
Even Gimpy says Boozer sucks.

Either way, its the character who uses them.

and exactly why "Tires Don Exits"

daytimeninja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gavgrego
I think that tiers do matter in a way. If you played a Gimpy as Bowser, and a Gimpy as Fox, then the Gimpy as Fox would probably win, just because Fox has faster, stronger attacks, and is quicker.

However, a Gimpy played someone who mained fox, but didn't have the experience that gimpy did, then gimpy could win, not because tiers don't exist, just because Gimpy is more experienced with his character.

Linkster47

Smash Apprentice
So basically, Big Bob is saying you should use a character you like even if they suck, but he changed characters because he liked the one that had a better move set. -_-

Big Bob

Smash Apprentice
Well, after not looking in here for a while I see it's developed quite a lot. A few points that I particularly agree with:

Playing to learn is much more important than playing to win. To me, losing a good match is just as fun as winning it, whether money is involved or not.

Your own playstyle is much more important. Me? I suck with Falco and Shiek. Never been good with them. But characters like Jigglypuff and Captain Falcon, hell I even use Bowser, Yoshi, and Mr. G&W with ease (though I'm sticking to the former in a tournament), are the ones whose playstyles suit me the most. And that's more important.

There's no tier list for Brawl yet, and you're saying I'm contradicting myself for wanting to use Lucas? Pokemon Trainer is three brand new characters that will take practice to use effectively, yet Lucas is the one that's easier to pick up, so what's wrong with preferring him in a tournament that I can't practice for? Hell, I don't even play F-Zero and Captain Falcon is one of my most used characters.

And I know this from personal experience: beating a Fox player with Bowser is more fun than beating a Fox player with Fox.

Super Drybones

Smash Ace
Well, after not looking in here for a while I see it's developed quite a lot. A few points that I particularly agree with:

Playing to learn is much more important than playing to win. To me, losing a good match is just as fun as winning it, whether money is involved or not.

Your own playstyle is much more important. Me? I suck with Falco and Shiek. Never been good with them. But characters like Jigglypuff and Captain Falcon, hell I even use Bowser, Yoshi, and Mr. G&W with ease (though I'm sticking to the former in a tournament), are the ones whose playstyles suit me the most. And that's more important.

There's no tier list for Brawl yet, and you're saying I'm contradicting myself for wanting to use Lucas? Pokemon Trainer is three brand new characters that will take practice to use effectively, yet Lucas is the one that's easier to pick up, so what's wrong with preferring him in a tournament that I can't practice for? Hell, I don't even play F-Zero and Captain Falcon is one of my most used characters.

And I know this from personal experience: beating a Fox player with Bowser is more fun than beating a Fox player with Fox.
On final destination with no items(lol)

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Did the OP just claim that people who tierwhore are the worst players at Smash (specifically, possibly) because "They play to win"? I don't know, I stopped reading once he said "That's because winning is your goal, not to have fun".

In the words of the Brawl announcer had he read this thread:
Utter Failure

phantomphungus

Smash Journeyman
I think that the lower Tier characters you use, the better you are. It just proves that you have enough skill to master those characters, and that's why Gimpy is so good. If he mained fox or shiek and lets say, fox matched his fighting style, he would be one of the best melee-ers in the world. I try to stay away from maining high tier characters because using them just says "hey world, I suck at this game so I have to use broken/high tier charcters to be good!" I sometimes main high tiers if I just like the character itself or if I like its playstyle, but I encourage the actually good people to stay away from high tiers (you can use medium-high or medium if you like) to show the world that you really are good!

Samochan

Smash Master
I think that the lower Tier characters you use, the better you are. It just proves that you have enough skill to master those characters, and that's why Gimpy is so good. If he mained fox or shiek and lets say, fox matched his fighting style, he would be one of the best melee-ers in the world. I try to stay away from maining high tier characters because using them just says "hey world, I suck at this game so I have to use broken/high tier charcters to be good!" I sometimes main high tiers if I just like the character itself or if I like its playstyle, but I encourage the actually good people to stay away from high tiers (you can use medium-high or medium if you like) to show the world that you really are good!
What's with these gimpy-fanboys lately that try to prove some points cause gimpy plays bowser, yet for some reason forget to mention gimpy hasn't won any tourneys and even gimpy knows that bowser sucks?

<_<

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
You sound like an idiot. Srsly, people who use low tier characters are normally garbage because low tier characters suck. You're in denial. You hate the high tiers because they have broken moves, but if they didn't, there'd be another top tier and you'd hate that char too. Jeez, ever heard of logic?

Top Bottom