• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Peach grab set up/frame trap

LanceStern

Smash Lord
The video is 20 minutes long I can't sit through that. What is important?

Footnote: If you downthrow Lucario anywhere before 60% or so, you can safely buffer utilt and either hit him or be completely safe from retaliation. Very nice

Footnote 2: That same airdodge -> grab is RIDICULOUSLY EFFECTIVE (like 90%) when getting up from the ledge. I use it in all of my matches and it's super hard to punish but easy to score the grab. I wish someone could do the frame data for me

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Essentially what I gleaned:
- Delay Jab 2 so if your opponent tries to grab you, they get hit with Jab 2

- Fair to grab instead of Jabs

- D throw Turnip to Z/airdodge drop to possible grab

Tbh you didn't really need a 20 minute video but regardless it's nice to see something related to Peach gameplay these days even if none of it looks particularly 'new'

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I can't actually hear the video at all, lol.

Z/airdodge drop to possible grab
Ooo, that's kinda cool.

I don't think we've fleshed out dodge-dropping entirely. KB mentioned dodge-drop to usmash, which is probably the best usage of it, but smaller combos like this seem more reliable.

Peachy-Desu

Smash Journeyman
fair - grab is not safe on shield, the fair can be grabbed (her crown is a part of her hurt bubble). The safest bet is jabbing after just to apply more pressure in case they didn't grab the fair lol. If you miss their shield and go for a grab it's even worse. It's a mix up but not a go to, considering they can grab her grab attempt or some characters can out right beat the grab like MK SL oos and snake Utilt oos. Almost everyone can shut down the air dodged turnip drop - grab.. Peach has the worst air dodge in the game not to mention landing during the air dodge animation has her vulnerable.

Best thing she can do is stay agile, lot's of turnips,glides and set ups. Tons of baits leading to windsteps such as bair/fair and you'll be golden.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I can't actually hear the video at all, lol.

Ooo, that's kinda cool.

I don't think we've fleshed out dodge-dropping entirely. KB mentioned dodge-drop to usmash, which is probably the best usage of it, but smaller combos like this seem more reliable.
You can string it into mostly anything, the higher the opponent's percentage (and thus greater knockback/pop-up from the turnip) the more options you have to reliably choose from. Groundfloat nair/uair/bair, turnaround jab, grab, etc. Peach's application of this is similar to Marth's dancing blade stall to land behind crossup (see: Leon or Mr. R, mostly Leon). Not the safest option by any means, simply an additional mixup to keep in mind.

U-smash is just a kill setup if you know for a fact the turnip is going to set them up just right for it + you aren't too far from the ground to react.

My generally preferred ranges are
Floaties 70 - 80%
Mid-weight 90 - 110%
Heavies 120 - 130%

However I still, and will always, believe that the absolute best use for her dodge-drop is to help protect her against MK's shuttle loop or reverse shuttle loop to frametrap shenanigans.

Peachy-Desu

Smash Journeyman
"Dodge dropping" is not an option vs MK. SL goes through the Turnip if he's grounded which he should be in the MU. If he's airborne all he has to do is Nado, unless he's in the air and you are somehow directly above him so the turnip would actually beat nado.

Queen B. Kyon

Smash Master
I've used it to help with my landings quite a few times plus if it is a stitch face it adds intimidation to the equation. So saying it isn't an option is meh. However if you say it isn't a solid option than that would make more sense

Peachy-Desu

Smash Journeyman
If it's a stitch unless it hits MK directly a top of him in nado it won't beat it.. simply clash. That means he can simply use another nado once the clash animation ends. Peach's air dodge is crap.. we all know this. She will be punished for air dodging. Now if you are DIRECTLY above MK so that the stitch and even noremal turnip would beat nado then yes by all means use it. It's not an option to say the least unless of course the MK player doesn't know this.

If you mean zair dropping that's different, since she is not in her crappy air dodge animation lol.

Queen B. Kyon

Smash Master
So your saying an Mk thats in the air using tornado, Clashes with the stitch thus getting him out of tornado, Peach isn't on the ground by then to react to the next tornado?

The point this is simple, Its an option that can occur, cause not every Mk is a robot.

Peachy-Desu

Smash Journeyman
The only turnip he clashes with is stitch, he beats all the others.. he CAN use another nado and even SL by the time she hits the ground. lol You don't have to be a robot to mash B to get away from Peach... hell even I who have probably the crappiest MK ever have beaten Peach players by using the most simplistec abuse of SL and Nado. It's far too easy to get away from Peach as MK and to apply pressure.. which is why the MU is soo balls lol.

Peachy-Desu

Smash Journeyman
Bair beating nado? lol maybe the 'start up' but nothing more lol. Once he is in the animation unless he is ON THE GROUND none of her air moves will beat it except for her being directly center of it lol.

Queen B. Kyon

Smash Master
It doesn't take long to use at all. However I'm sure Peach's air dodge doesnt last his clash, him landing on the floor and doing it again. I'm quite sure "I" am on the floor by then if not I just toad the nado if he is coming from my side right before I land. which also would beat the ending part of shuttle loop

Peachy-Desu

Smash Journeyman
Toad does NOT beat SL or nado. People need to remember this. Toad will TRADE HITS if MK nado's into toads frames. This will cause Peach and MK to trade. If MK DOES NOT GO INTO TOAD in nado.. the spores get absorbed by his wall of nado assuming he doesnt touch the ground while in nado and is still airborne. Toad also doesnt beat SL lol Mk can punish peach for 'toading' the move.

That post had a lot of nado~

Also you seem to think MK lands when the move clashes.. he doesn't he is STILL in the air and can immeditaly use nado/drill/sl whil in the air. The way the clash animation works is he just pauses for a super short time and does w/e.

Mind you this is STITCH specific.. it doesn't cover the other turnips she has where nado out right beats them and will punish her landing lol.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Stitchface straight up beats tornado, if I recall correctly. Hits through and everything.

Winkyface as well. :O

LanceStern

Smash Lord
The only turnip he clashes with is stitch, he beats all the others.. he CAN use another nado and even SL by the time she hits the ground. lol You don't have to be a robot to mash B to get away from Peach... hell even I who have probably the crappiest MK ever have beaten Peach players by using the most simplistec abuse of SL and Nado. It's far too easy to get away from Peach as MK and to apply pressure.. which is why the MU is soo balls lol.
Then you weren't playing against confident/good peaches

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
We're all aware of how balls the matchup is, Desu. You, however, are portraying things in a very black and white, cookie-cutter manner which I don't necessarily agree with.

Also, I'm talking about the dodge drop being a helpful option when you're in a situation, high off of the ground, where he's lining things up for a shuttle loop. It can be used to avoid the shuttle loop (with the turnip hitting him simultaneously) or to help cover Peach in a scenario where he whiffs a reverse shuttle loop to try and trap her for a glide attack followup. MKs love to do that to Peach because she's such a floaty piece of ****, so it helps to know any kind of options you have in those situations rather than prematurely dismissing them. I've done it on more than one occasion, it has saved my behind a handful of times, the risk-reward isn't all that bad. It certainly beats trying to gamble for a landing in some other, more conventional manner.

As for doing it while MK is on the ground to try and get a crossup going...I suggest doing it while MK is shielding. That way he won't be able to initiate a nado before Peach lands, the turnip will cover for her even if he tries for it after dropping his shield (or tries to turn around and grab her), which leaves him with only two plausible options: roll in the opposite direction from Peach's current aerial momentum to avoid the crossup, or try and time a shuttle loop correctly to tear through both the turnip drop and Peach's crossup attempt if she isn't spacing well enough. These are one of the very few instances where Peach can force MK into a relatively even guessing game in the matchup.

Peachy-Desu

Smash Journeyman
dont call me desu.. ew

Looking at the obvious is not black and white when comparing just one 'technique'. There's multiple ways around it. I'm quite aware of the MU at hand lol, and SL and Nado are what ruin peach in the long run lol. I've never met a MK who 'sets up' SL, since SL can be done reactionary and pretty freely, same can be said with nado.

Turnips barely create shield stun long enough for him not to SL.. but why is MK shielding on the ground with Peach above him? It's a free nado/SL lol.

I don't consider it bad when something is seen as 'black and white' when this is constantly being seen without much improvement being made lol

Peachy-Desu

Smash Journeyman
When Peachs start consistently beating MK without going to a secondary character, proving how most of her techniques arent murdered by nado/sl. I will start to think of the mu in a new light. Until then I shall stay pessimistic about it and think about the reality of the situation lol.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Lol trust me, I've been there multiple times. I don't even attempt to play the matchup anymore if I can avoid it. Using Diddy or playing the ditto are sooo much easier to manage.

Peachy-Desu

Smash Journeyman
lol yup.. I hear ya! I'm too fanboy'd about Peach to pick up a secondary. Peach powah~ Though that being said.. probably why i'm too annoyed to go to MK legal tournies anymore lol. I've had enough with always getting cp'ed with a MK when I'm near the money in tournies. :<

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
MK is annoying, but he's not the only character Peach players lose to. And I **** pretty much all low level Meta Knights, even with tornado and SL abuse

Nordal

Smash Lord
It's not a matter of nado/SL, it's the matter of a good mk player who knows what to abuse. Peach gets bodied by snake, falco, fox, mk, and I think that's it. There are other disadvantaged matchups, but those are the terrible ones.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Tornado isn't even that bad, but Shuttle Loop is nightmares for any Peach who enjoys running any sort of pressure.

Peachy-Desu

Smash Journeyman
It's not a matter of nado/SL, it's the matter of a good mk player who knows what to abuse. Peach gets bodied by snake, falco, fox, mk, and I think that's it. There are other disadvantaged matchups, but those are the terrible ones.
Fox? No lol. Slight dis adv comes from usmash alone.. nothing else.

Snake? I wouldn't say bodied.. the only dis adv really comes from her lack of ko power. So he lives faaaar too long.

Falco? I would only say bodied if he wants to play really lame.. otherwise it's not too bad. In most cases.. yes she does lose.

MK? Yup. Nado is really bad for her to handle.. like really really bad. He can't spam it as much as he would like... but other than that it's pretty free to use. SL is gross in the MU way too easy to abuse.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Peachy-Desu is a really good Peach player.
Just throwing that out there.

MK > Peach

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Fox: Very slight disadvantage.
Falco: Slight disadvantage.
Snake: Disadvantage.
MK: Lol.

C.S. Dinah

Smash Champion
Does anyone get mad when someone like Snake doesn't explode offscreen, when you've used just about every possible KO move?

Omg it's so bad.

Peachy-Desu

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone get mad when someone like Snake doesn't explode offscreen, when you've used just about every possible KO move?

Omg it's so bad.
You would be surprised how many characters avoid getting ko'ed by Peach if your opponent has 'great' DI. lol Yay for 160-170% kos... and later on the fatties. :x Except Maybe Bowser. lol

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I know all too well how that feels...got a DDD to 230-250% third game in a set, got killed at 60% by a rogue f-smash. -.-

Sarix

Smash Ace

Omg it's so bad.
I think the only reason it doesn't annoy me more is because I also play Samus and killing with her is practically a greater chore. Lordy loves to pull out his snake on me at thursday night smashfests and it is so gahh!

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
It's a mix up but not a go to, considering they can grab her grab attempt or some characters can out right beat the grab like MK SL oos and snake Utilt oos. Almost everyone can shut down the air dodged turnip drop - grab.. Peach has the worst air dodge in the game not to mention landing during the air dodge animation has her vulnerable.

Best thing she can do is stay agile, lot's of turnips,glides and set ups. Tons of baits leading to windsteps such as bair/fair and you'll be golden.
Snake Can NOT uptilt me out of shield when I do this. it takes 7 frames to drop shield. and another 7 to uptilt. So his uptilt would come out on frame 14. When you catch the turnip after throwing it down. its an instant drop. And the hit box of any item you Z drop is 1 frame. You can't punish this like that unless you have an invincible up-B. And he can't grab me ether. If I even get grabbed, The turnip drop is gonna hit him. This is one of the frame traps that can actually make her air dodge safe and start a pressure game. Also your oponent can NOT side step this at all. They will ether get hit by your follow up or your turnip. This locks down the enemies position if they decided to not roll and try to punish OoS.

One thing you might know have not realized ether is that when you do an air move OoS it does not come out right away. Every character has a jump animation and can do anything till its over. For example. peach takes 6 frames to jump. Peach Nair is three frames. if I nair out of shield, my nair will hit on frame 9. When one attacks peach shield with an air attack and I nair them, it may seem like a fast punishment. The reason for this is cause once I block the attack, they are still in the air and all attacks have cool down time. Meaning until the move is down, they can't do anything.

Each character has their own jump frames. Alot of people don't realize this. Those jump frames actually play a role in this frame trap in place. If they are not gonna roll, and try to attack out of shield when I do this, they are likely to get hit.Rolls and up-B that are invincible is what breaks this. That's when baiting and making educated guesses are what come into play based on the thought pattern and habits/actions of your opponent.

I do this against DDD up-B In fear of getting chain grab sometimes. I have broke every chain grab attemped he tried. If I got grabbed, turnip broke the grab.

Another random useful tip against DDD or alomost any character; I like to dair a shield with a turnip, go behind them and Z drop the turnip. Then fall to a bair and reverse jab.You can NOT........NOT get punished for this. They can not attack you out of the shield to a bair. This makes you super safe. if they to do that, they will get by your turnip drop, bair or jab. And ending this with a jab is good cause you already know about Peach jab mix ups/pressure.

You need to stop being in this helpless state of mine with this character. Use what ever tools you have and quit worrying about her flaws or how bad a match up is. Thats not gonna get you the win. its using your tools (all 10000000000 of them) and your strengths to protect your weakness.

You can string it into mostly anything, the higher the opponent's percentage (and thus greater knockback/pop-up from the turnip) the more options you have to reliably choose from. Groundfloat nair/uair/bair, turnaround jab, grab, etc. Peach's application of this is similar to Marth's dancing blade stall to land behind crossup (see: Leon or Mr. R, mostly Leon). Not the safest option by any means, simply an additional mixup to keep in mind.

U-smash is just a kill setup if you know for a fact the turnip is going to set them up just right for it + you aren't too far from the ground to react.

My generally preferred ranges are
Floaties 70 - 80%
Mid-weight 90 - 110%
Heavies 120 - 130%

However I still, and will always, believe that the absolute best use for her dodge-drop is to help protect her against MK's shuttle loop or reverse shuttle loop to frametrap shenanigans.
Peach Nair can cross meta knight up if you dair his shield and go behind to a nair. He if he tries to up-B after the dair and you fall to a nair behind him, you can Nair him out of the shuttle loop. Can can make meta very cautious on trying to punish her dair in fear of that cross up.

Bair beating nado? lol maybe the 'start up' but nothing more lol. Once he is in the animation unless he is ON THE GROUND none of her air moves will beat it except for her being directly center of it lol.

You are mistaken. If you hit meta with an falling bair from top/top-right/top-left, you can actually hit meta knight. The hit box of that move is not as god like as you may think it is.That tornado may be covering meta pretty well, but to let that animation fool you and hit you from the truth of its real power. witch aint really ****. So you dont have to be in the center to hit meta out of it. You might have hit Meta out of it with fair, or seen, heard someone else do it. Its possible, and this is why. Just hard since that move is just hella slow.

It doesn't take long to use at all. However I'm sure Peach's air dodge doesnt last his clash, him landing on the floor and doing it again. I'm quite sure "I" am on the floor by then if not I just toad the nado if he is coming from my side right before I land. which also would beat the ending part of shuttle loop
dont call me desu.. ew

Looking at the obvious is not black and white when comparing just one 'technique'. There's multiple ways around it. I'm quite aware of the MU at hand lol, and SL and Nado are what ruin peach in the long run lol. I've never met a MK who 'sets up' SL, since SL can be done reactionary and pretty freely, same can be said with nado.

Turnips barely create shield stun long enough for him not to SL.. but why is MK shielding on the ground with Peach above him? It's a free nado/SL lol.

I don't consider it bad when something is seen as 'black and white' when this is constantly being seen without much improvement being made lol
This post I am gonna cover up pretty solidly in the next thread im about to make.

Top Bottom