• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Peach and other random Discussion (Social Thread)

Adict

Smash Cadet
read all the books and were great, movies sucked in comparison.
sword of truth series are amazing books aswell. they even tried to make a show out of it, was alright but nothing made from a book is ever as good as the book.
currently been reading a lot of books by the author David Morrell. Current book is Fraternity of the Stone

KidWithChemicals

Smash Cadet
Your dog is top tier.

:phone:
LOL. Sandy is my trump card when i'm losing. i have her unleash her powerful lick attacks to paralyze my opponents. if only she knew confuse ray and iron head... *__*

Quoted for truth. The first thing i said when i walked into his house was "thats a cool dog"

lol. i actually do remember you saying that verbatim. my sand<3

are you guys going to BM's smash fest tomorrow? or hittin' up No Johns?

Queen

Smash Apprentice
Currently reading the Sword of Truth series.
Oh Sword of Truth novels...if you weren't simplified Ayn Rand propaganda I could feel better about you. I've read them all but that's mostly because once you get to the 8th, you may as well finish. I think the first is the best of the lot with some intriguing highlights in Faith of the Fallen. There's a scene in Soul of the Fire that I really like too but that's mostly because of my own love of revenge and murderous spite.

I just finished Mockingjay and it was better than I expected, but ultimately, I feel the series is not as good as I was hoping. Oh well.

Has anyone else read Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin?

Also, should I read 98 Wounds, The Mists of Avalon, or Mrs. Dalloway next?

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Geez, sword of truth started out so strong, but he got so damn repetitive I was confused at times whether I already read that book :(
Biggest disappointment in a book series ever for me (strong competition from harry potter there though... that one started out great (first three books) as well, and dropped so low from there... Up to this date I haven't read the last one or two books... I was kinda curious what was going to happen, but couldn't bring myself to read 800 pages of boring snorefest containing less story than the first books had in ~300 or sth).

If anyone happens to be interested in scifi (set not too far in the future) I can whole-heartedly recommend Daniel Suarez - Daemon, and the follow-up Freedom.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Everyone says that about the Sword of Truth series, but I didn't find it repetitive at all. I was enthralled by each word...huh. Well, I'm going to be rereading, so I'll see if I can find it.

I need to finish the Eragon series, too. I need a list of books to find and read, kind of in the scifi/fantasy realm, so suggestions are open. So far, after the Sword of Truth, I've got Hunger Games, Eragon (I forget the name of the series), and those by Daniel Suarez.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
LOL. Sandy is my trump card when i'm losing. i have her unleash her powerful lick attacks to paralyze my opponents. if only she knew confuse ray and iron head... *__*

lol. i actually do remember you saying that verbatim. my sand<3

are you guys going to BM's smash fest tomorrow? or hittin' up No Johns?
I have passover so my weekend is fully booked, so no to both the smashfest and no johns

KidWithChemicals

Smash Cadet
i actually couldn't finish the harry potter books either. i was only able get about half way through the 5th one. even though i tried so damn hard to finish it, night after night, i would get through a page or two just pass out. lol.

so i think all this talk about books has inspired me to take a trip to the library. anyone have any recommendations as to what i should get?

and ben, lemme know next time you're free to get some matches going. i've been on my grind and my samus is looking hella fine. o.O

MacD

Banned via Administration
i was on page like 150 or so of harry potter 6

then i had to start reading a book near the end of summer for junior year cause that's what bs AP classes had you do over the summer.

haven't touched a book for fun ever since

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i actually couldn't finish the harry potter books either. i was only able get about half way through the 5th one. even though i tried so damn hard to finish it, night after night, i would get through a page or two just pass out. lol.

so i think all this talk about books has inspired me to take a trip to the library. anyone have any recommendations as to what i should get?

and ben, lemme know next time you're free to get some matches going. i've been on my grind and my samus is looking hella fine. o.O
Do u drive? B/c if so i can invite u over next time i meet up with mike (soup). Otherwise not sure when i can be free to play since work and its ability to suck

KidWithChemicals

Smash Cadet
Do u drive? B/c if so i can invite u over next time i meet up with mike (soup). Otherwise not sure when i can be free to play since work and its ability to suck

i don't have a car >_< but regardless keep me in mind. i'm always down to play, and i'm sure i could find a ride whenever. and next time we do meet up, you should try and get your friend who considers himself to have the best samus on LI to come through, so we can square off lol.

Queen

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, Chainfire was the book that really killed the Sword of Truth novels for me. It was in the summer of 2005 and I was burning through about 10 so I wouldn't feel guilty about not reading the book I needed to have finished before I left for college (I force myself to procrastinate in constructive ways otherwise I feel guilty and that's just no good). Once I got to Chainfire, however, I was able to finally start reading my required book because Chainfire was bull****. Phantom was only slightly better.

I love Giovanni's Room, but you're right, it is depressing. It is beautifully rendered and I think it may be one of the best examples I have ever read of that particular kind of despair.

Has anyone else read A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin?

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Chainfire...was that the...the curse that erased Kahlan from memory? I have no idea, I don't remember the later books.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i don't have a car >_< but regardless keep me in mind. i'm always down to play, and i'm sure i could find a ride whenever. and next time we do meet up, you should try and get your friend who considers himself to have the best samus on LI to come through, so we can square off lol.
Dude there is no point your samus is clearly better. Also if u r able to get a ride that would be better for me since coming to your house is a trip for me after work. Anyway when i got plans to play i will let u know

MacD

LITTLE CRUSH HAS SPOKEN!!!!

so on the IPL4 league stream, instead of commercials, they are playing kpop vids

i miss music videos like this a music groups and actual pop music like these songs

they are so fun

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Anyone here ever read any Agatha christie? Its intresting reading these kinda pop mystery books from early 1900, its gives a strange insite in how people viewed things in that time period. Also the murder of Roger ackroyd imo is her best book (at least of the ones i read)

Queen

Smash Apprentice
I've only ever read a short story of hers called, "The Witness for the Prosecution," which is amazing. She's good about her twists; there's no denying that.

Shrouded, yeah, "Chainfire" is the one about Kahlan being erased from everyone's memory.

Sveet, what did you think of "Mockingjay"? I was a little disappointed with aspects of Kat's characterization as it seemed unfocused.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Sveet, what did you think of "Mockingjay"? I was a little disappointed with aspects of Kat's characterization as it seemed unfocused.
Hmm... I found it to be really moving actually. I found her state of mind to be consistent with someone who had experienced what she was experiencing. I found the writing to be superb in that sense. That book will always have a special place in my heart </sappiness>

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Anyone here ever read any Agatha christie? Its intresting reading these kinda pop mystery books from early 1900, its gives a strange insite in how people viewed things in that time period. Also the murder of Roger ackroyd imo is her best book (at least of the ones i read)

Roger Ackroyd is probably the best one I've read by Christie. Been reading more of her novels lately but it's hard to find the time for it sometimes. Have you read all of Doyle's detective works? They're all excellent.

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
Hmm... I found it to be really moving actually. I found her state of mind to be consistent with someone who had experienced what she was experiencing. I found the writing to be superb in that sense. That book will always have a special place in my heart </sappiness>
My clairvoyant abilities saw this outcome fyi

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Roger Ackroyd is probably the best one I've read by Christie. Been reading more of her novels lately but it's hard to find the time for it sometimes. Have you read all of Doyle's detective works? They're all excellent.
Its cool someone else has read and agrees about Ackroyd (it has an ending which imo is even more impressive when u realize it was one if not the first of its time with that type of twist). I have not read any Doyle outside of a short story from middle school (which i am proud to say i called the ending to).

MacD

i saw "and then there were none" on stage

and i watched a lot of murder she wrote

i also read some sherlock stories

DO I FIT IN NOW?????

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
And then there were none was legit. Murder on the orient express was good, but i find it kinda odd that it is her most famous book. (But i guess best and most famous r often not synonyms)

Top Bottom