• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Peach and other random Discussion (Social Thread)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
[collapse=hunger games spoilers inside!]It was okay when katniss was a tough girl hunter that didn't show emotion and took care of business. But then she goes into life and death battle arena and suddenly she becomes a juliet with a bow. As soon as the announcement about two winners happened, i realized thats when it was going down hill. When she goes back to district 12 she is more of a wussy ***** than her little sister.

I guess its my fault for expecting deep character development sprouting from hard decisions. It was written to replace twilight tho, so i guess it had to be that way to get its 10-16 y/o girl audience.[/collapse]

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I loved the his dark material's trilogy.

One of the best book series I've ever read was the Abhorsen series. Fighting zombies with bells? Epic.

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
If you cant see the acting behind her actions, then of course you wont see the character development. Not to mention stopping at the first book in a trilogy is another way to limit your perspective.

When she begins to make these decisions involving peeta, its because she just wants to win an get home to her sister. It creates a really interesting dichotomy of whether shes doing it because she ACTUALLY likes peeta or is it because she just wants to win.

Of course you've already written it off as something to replace twilight (such a drab argument) which clearly shows your mindset

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
Reading is so hard now that i've read the song of ice and fire series.

Of course i'll still cherish my occasional MTG or WoW novel.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Yeah, GRRM is great.

Though Rothfuss or Brandon Sanderson are pretty much on the same level though =)
(so is Robert Jordan I hear, but I didn't get around starting his Wheel of Time series yet).

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
So game of thrones pretty awesome. Been to lazy/busy to read the books but i want to after watching the show

:phone:

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
If you cant see the acting behind her actions, then of course you wont see the character development. Not to mention stopping at the first book in a trilogy is another way to limit your perspective.

When she begins to make these decisions involving peeta, its because she just wants to win an get home to her sister. It creates a really interesting dichotomy of whether shes doing it because she ACTUALLY likes peeta or is it because she just wants to win.

Of course you've already written it off as something to replace twilight (such a drab argument) which clearly shows your mindset
Hmm I see your point but I can't shake off the way the author deliberately made the plot devices flow in that direction. Felt way too artificial to me.

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
It starts out as a subtle "does she love me or is she trying to win?" thing in the first book, but it becomes some what of a focus in the second book.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I mean im not saying its dumb, though it kinda came out that way. I'm just more interested adult topics, not highschool girl drama. I had girlfriends like that and i really despise it. I actually applaud the writing style, i think it has a lot of merit, but the content is not for me.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Ya it's very good, at least the first season. =P

Though if girls are nasty then you all should watch Spartacus, lots of manly men.
But i dont think girls r nasty. What just b/c i play peach u think i think girls r nasty for shame kage for shame

:phone:

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
Spartacus is a really good show BOOBS ERRWHERE.

But nothing will ever beat my love for Game of Thrones.

Cept Thats So Raven...

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I guess I'm going to read the Hunger Games now? I hadn't heard a thing about this until the day of the premiere of the movie, and now suddenly it's like cinematic manna to people. Time to see what the fuss is all about.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
I saw the Hunger Games this past Sunday. It was good, but it didn't meet the hype I was expecting from it. I definitely want to read the books though.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Finished Mockingjay last week. Finnick

Also, it's not just about loving Peeta, but about repaying him. He saved her life as a child, she is obligated to do the same.

Jewish guilt, y'all wouldn't understand

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Update on hunger games: Starting book 2. Alan gave me hope for the series, I will give it another chance :)

Queen

Smash Apprentice
I'm working my way through Mockingjay at this very moment and I'm less than thrilled with it, but I do love the way the author is addressing the effects of war on Katniss's psyche. Thus far, I don't see Katniss as being particularly remarkable. What is remarkable is her behavior and perception in light of her current situation. I think the story and its structure are the most compelling components of these novels.

Beyond that, I think the stories themselves are very powerful portrayals of systemic oppression and abuse.

Top Bottom