• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pathways Smash XI October

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Why wouldn't you?? You've won 50% of the Melee Pathways doubles tournaments you've entered.

:phone:
lol you carried me to first the first time and I got last the second time.

I was never into doubles even in my "prime," I doubt it can get any better lol. I'd rather save my money and stay focused in brawl if there is going to be a crazy pot bonus that I have a better chance of winning than I do with melee doubles lol.

Terry

Smash Ace
I like teams. Even if your skill level isn't as great as the other teams you can make up for it with teamwork! Thanks teammate! <3

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Ziv speaks the truth. There's no way we can beat him and Roman on teams IF we're both playing Pichu.

Even then, it'd be close ;)

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Pichu's a pretty cool guy though.
He is cool to troll on guys who you can beat with every character with. But as a whole, he is not a valiant character in battle.

Ziv/Roman as Marth and Fox vs G.Vice/Jack as double Pichu...

hmmmmmmmmmmm...we might try it. Might. Though I have more respect for those guys than that.

Terry

Smash Ace
There's a homo black guy at the theater that I work with on Sundays.

Saffy

Smash Ace
Can I get free hugs if I show up? :3

Oh and is there a little cesars around the church? :| I might pick some pizza's up if I go!

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
There's a Little Caesar's nearby, we'll pool for pizza money. If you pick some up on the way, we'll still pool for pizza money to give you back.

Saffy

Smash Ace
I may get a little hugsy, just be warned now.
Lmao....

-Dead-

And okay cool cool. I may just do that then for you guys. =] My dad got a package from Canada so he might be going there for work soon which is good news!

Saffy

Smash Ace
He might be going to Canada for work?

Yeah, that is why last month I could not attend Pathways nor Ogre Smash. Some company up there needs him to install a machine and they pay for all his traveling expenses and everything. He will for sure be going, not a maybe.
He will be gone over a week this month, It's just mainly that I don't know exactly which week.

My mom also wanted to do a Halloween Party on the 15th or 22nd.. so my chances once again are very slim The only way is if my Dad goes this week or next week, and/or my mom decides not to do the party. I mean all she would have over is the redneck neighbors lmao.

Only time will tell for that though.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Lmao....

-Dead-

And okay cool cool. I may just do that then for you guys. =] My dad got a package from Canada so he might be going there for work soon which is good news!
Give me my ****ing pizza.

Yeah, that is why last month I could not attend Pathways nor Ogre Smash. Some company up there needs him to install a machine and they pay for all his traveling expenses and everything. He will for sure be going, not a maybe.
He will be gone over a week this month, It's just mainly that I don't know exactly which week.

My mom also wanted to do a Halloween Party on the 15th or 22nd.. so my chances once again are very slim The only way is if my Dad goes this week or next week, and/or my mom decides not to do the party. I mean all she would have over is the redneck neighbors lmao.

Only time will tell for that though.
Give me my ****ing pizza. And my ****ing candy corn.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Hey Ziv, what would be the best way of entering results into the EloCalc program? We ran a six person pool, but I don't know how to reflect the difference between, say, 2-0 and 2-1 sets, or how to make the order fair. It distributes a varying amount of points depending on the order I enter the results, which could completely skew it in someone's favor (enter their one loss first, then all the wins to gain more points, etc.). I tried going through in order of the pool sheet, but it resulted in third place (by record) being above 2nd place, and some other strange things.

VTS took this weekend off, so we're most likely coming :D

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Arby, in order for elo to be accurate, it has to be calculated in chronological order. Which is really easy in brackets, since you can just calculate all winners bracket, then losers, then grand finals. In pools, there's not an easy way to determine order. So the best way to calculate is to use each players pre tournament rating in the following calculator
http://main.uschess.org/content/view/7875/400/
This means you won't use the elocalc program for any pools matches.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Thanks. If it's not too much trouble, could you double check and see if I did this right? I sent the TIO file to your email (medes86@hotmail.com).

The results I got using that calculator:

arby: 1600
Chamberlin: 1333
ACE: 1333
VTS: 1333
Yoshiman: 1067
Seif: 933
Neo: 800

assuming initial rating of 1200

I guess 2-1/1-2 sets can't be quantified?

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Thanks. If it's not too much trouble, could you double check and see if I did this right? I sent the TIO file to your email (medes86@hotmail.com).

The results I got using that calculator:

arby: 1600
Chamberlin: 1333
ACE: 1333
VTS: 1333
Yoshiman: 1067
Seif: 933
Neo: 800

assuming initial rating of 1200

I guess 2-1/1-2 sets can't be quantified?
I'll check them out when I get off work. For my system, I was giving a player a .33 addition for a 1-2 loss.

EDIT: I will say though that just by looking at the numbers you posted, they are inaccurate. Seeing a 1600 and an 800 based off a starter of 1200 suggests you hit the "performance rating" button instead of calculating the new rating.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
I did new rating, though I also set the number of prior games to 0. Looks like it produces the same results as performance rating in that case. Should I leave # of prior games at 50 or whatever?

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
I did new rating, though I also set the number of prior games to 0. Looks like it produces the same results as performance rating in that case. Should I leave # of prior games at 50 or whatever?
I would leave it at 50. Although I also favor a different formula for first tournaments when all participants are unrated. I like this better:
I = ((75W + 15P)+900)
I is Initial rating
W is wins
P is partial wins (1-2)

At the point when 75% or more of your tourney is rated, use the calculator I linked you to with 50 as the number of previous games and new players starting at a base of the average elo of the rated players in attendance.

I still think you guys should let me run them and used the ratings I've been working on. Makes them more relevant to players outside your small group.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
You can definitely use the data, but keeping it separate also makes the ratings relevant to us as a marker for improvement. So use it as you will, but I'm going to keep up with it personally for our benefit.

These are the new rankings I got

Arby 1350
Chamberlin 1215
Ace 1215
VTS 1215
Yoshiman 1050
Seif 990
Neo 900

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
You can definitely use the data, but keeping it separate also makes the ratings relevant to us as a marker for improvement. So use it as you will, but I'm going to keep up with it personally for our benefit.

These are the new rankings I got

Arby 1350
Chamberlin 1215
Ace 1215
VTS 1215
Yoshiman 1050
Seif 990
Neo 900
How does using a universal system make them less applicable to use as a benchmark for improvement?

The new ones look much better.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
How does using a universal system make them less applicable to use as a benchmark for improvement?

The new ones look much better.

Keeping the sample size small puts more weight on the immediate goal - improving against each other. We can get a whole lot better in-state because of the variety among us, and our ratings will directly reflect those changes after every biweekly. A universal rating is useful for other, less personal reasons, so I support you using our data as well.

This is really just for our benefit, so consider it like we just gave you the results. These personal ratings are only significant to us.

Top Bottom