• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parallel Falchion - Lucina General and Q/A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
I want to join this battle but Im a bit busy this weekend. Anyways, top 6 of Winter Clash, a tournament here in PR will be streamed. Ill be commentating some matches probably. Lets see if Im cut out for commentating. First time and whatnot.
GL dood!

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
I want to join this battle but Im a bit busy this weekend. Anyways, top 6 of Winter Clash, a tournament here in PR will be streamed. Ill be commentating some matches probably. Lets see if Im cut out for commentating. First time and whatnot.
Lookin forward to seeing that xD One of these days I'd want to give tournament commentary myself too

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Thanks everyone! What a tournament. So recap, the top 6 is probably something you would not expect.

1. Peach (@Excel_Zero)
2. Olimar (insane game play)
3. Pit
4. Shiek/WFT
5. Ness
5. Mii Gunner/Mii Brawler

The matches be recorded on the channel I linked above. I actually ended up commentating all matches. The co-commentator, that has experience in the field, was psyched when he commentated with me. Well at least thats what he told me after the top 6. So Im guessing I must have done well! I had my notebook full of frame data covering the characters that the top 6 players used. I recommend taking the time to watch the sets.

On my end, I made plenty of mistakes. Namely SD'd twice on a match on a set I had the opportunity of winning. But thats why we go to tournaments. Get the experience to remove that tournament nervousness that gets to you. I played Lucina/Robin.

I actually did pretty well on PM even though I don't practice that game/mod anymore.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Thanks everyone! What a tournament. So recap, the top 6 is probably something you would not expect.

1. Peach (@Excel_Zero)
2. Olimar (insane game play)
3. Pit
4. Shiek/WFT
5. Ness
5. Mii Gunner/Mii Brawler

The matches be recorded on the channel I linked above. I actually ended up commentating all matches. The co-commentator, that has experience in the field, was psyched when he commentated with me. Well at least thats what he told me after the top 6. So Im guessing I must have done well! I had my notebook full of frame data covering the characters that the top 6 players used. I recommend taking the time to watch the sets.

On my end, I made plenty of mistakes. Namely SD'd twice on a match on a set. I had the opportunity of winning. But thats why we go to tournaments. Get the experience to remove that tournament nervousness that gets to you. I played Lucina/Robin.

I actually did pretty well on PM though even though I don't practice that game/mod anymore.
What channel? There's no channel wait you meant the Twitch channel back there.

Jesus, a GUNNER in the top 5? And an Olimar?

I call shenanigans. :seuss:

Nah I'm kidding, quite interesting though.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
My information about Lucina has always been wrong, good thing I get to know now.

Yes loucan, that's what tournaments are for. WiFi kinda helps too, but that's more a matter of figuring out habits.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
My information about Lucina has always been wrong, good thing I get to know now.

Yes loucan, that's what tournaments are for. WiFi kinda helps too, but that's more a matter of figuring out habits.
Indeed. I do not really play online that much. I prefer playing locally either in tournaments or friendly's.

Gunner is a good character. Also, the Olimar player was able to catch a lot of people off guard. There where a few Diddy's in the tournament but none of them made it out of pools. A wide character pool in this 55+ entrant tournament. Interesting characters that made it far include, Palutena, WFT, Greninja, Link.

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
Sorry, lemme vent a little tho!

So pissed off cuz I need to verify my club nintendo account (Just recently registered all games and got Mewtwo/Soundtrack) and now I can't use my account cuz Hotmail is annoying and doesn't let me sign in because I'm "someone" else

Last edited:

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720

So pissed of cuz I need to verify my club nintendo account (Just recently registered all games and got Mewtwo/Soundtrack) and now I can't use my account cuz Hotmail is annoying and doesn't let me sign in because I'm "someone" else
Sounds awful. If you cant resolve it, call Club Nintendo customer service. They're very helpful.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer

So pissed off cuz I need to verify my club nintendo account (Just recently registered all games and got Mewtwo/Soundtrack) and now I can't use my account cuz Hotmail is annoying and doesn't let me sign in because I'm "someone" else
You could also try calling Microsoft and see if they can resolve your issue. Also, how was everyone's Holidays? I spent time playing a lot of Smash as you can tell from my previous posts :) It's technically still the Holidays in PR. We have Three Kings day tomorrow and "octavitas".

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I'm on a patient wait for my Wii U and Smash...there's a small chance my father could get the Wii U when he goes to Alabama for the week, and as for Smash, the package from the Premium raffle still isn't here. Though, I've come to expect that from the delivery standards of US--->Mexico.

*sigh*

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
I'm sorry a relative has to come down to nowhere state for business lol. I mean yeah AL is peaceful in some areas but there is little to do here.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Oh I was commenting on Liquid's dad coming to Alabama. I happen to live there.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
What coincidence. Don't expect to meet him though, he's not going to Glencoe, lol.

Still hoping. He comes back on Friday and has a day off over there, so he might be able to snag a Wii U.

Last edited:

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Would be nice dude, hope he can bring it home so you can get some Smash Wii U time in.

Not sure how to prepare for my inevitable destruction this weekend for Kumite in Tennessee. No idea who people in my pool are and if I'm still losing to one trick ponies on Wi-Fi I can only imagine what my results on stream will be lol. Hnngggg not enough lab time left

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Not sure how to prepare for my inevitable destruction this weekend for Kumite in Tennessee. No idea who people in my pool are and if I'm still losing to one trick ponies on Wi-Fi I can only imagine what my results on stream will be lol. Hnngggg not enough lab time left
First things first, don't sweat it. Have fun. You have some time left to practice. You can try to learn new things and implement them in the tournament but the best thing you could do right now is polish what you know. Your mind should not be thinking about winning the tournament, or getting out of pools, your goal should be responding correctly to your opponents actions during the game you are playing. If you respond correctly you'll win the match. That's how I got through the matches I play.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Which at the moment is just basic character stuff. Though on a bright side my Pivot Utilts are looking better. I'd say I'd try and pull a Marth out if goings get tough but for some reason I can't seem to use him on the level I use Luci on at all. It's weird lol

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I'd say I'd try and pull a Marth out if goings get tough but for some reason I can't seem to use him on the level I use Luci on at all. It's weird lol
Not really weird, imo. Marth is about spacing to get tippers off and Lucina's about just hitting the foe. Two different paradigms of patience, except one is more rewarding and the other isn't as demanding.

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
Not really weird, imo. Marth is about spacing to get tippers off and Lucina's about just hitting the foe. Two different paradigms of patience, except one is more rewarding and the other isn't as demanding.
Lucina is absolutely as much about spacing as Marth is. Its no surprise a Lucina main would be losing to one trick ponies if they cant space properly, but thats not what I'm saying that their problem is. Just a comment.
People who say you can play Lucina differently are mostly wrong. You can do a teensy bit differently, but only because you have to. Instead of going for an easy Perfect Pivot Fsmash kill at 80%, you've got to be patient and defensive for another like, 40%.

Which at the moment is just basic character stuff. Though on a bright side my Pivot Utilts are looking better. I'd say I'd try and pull a Marth out if goings get tough but for some reason I can't seem to use him on the level I use Luci on at all. It's weird lol
Its probably because you've let Lucina's lack of tippers let you form bad habits. If you're trying to main Marth and Lucina, learn Marth first. Its better to have Marth's good habits for Lucina's gameplay (because trying the other way leads to forming bad habits with Lucy, making your Marth play crippled.)

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Instead of going for an easy Perfect Pivot Fsmash kill at 80%
This is still risky. If you miss your F-smash your opponent will definitely punish you. The Perfect Pivot does allow you to space the tipper correctly so if it hits that's awesome. However, if it hits your opponents shield the 1.25x shield-stun would be in effect. Its better to go for safer moves and not force yourself into a disadvantageous position unless you are sure that the f-smash will hit. In that case go ahead and do the perfect pivot f-smash to a kill at 80%.

Also from here on out, my official text color will be changed to this shade of red :) Thoughts?

Last edited:

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
This is still risky. If you miss your F-smash your opponent will definitely punish you. The Perfect Pivot does allow you to space the tipper correctly so if it hits that's awesome. However, if it hits your opponents shield the 1.25x shield-stun would be in effect. Its better to go for safer moves and not force yourself into a disadvantageous position unless you are sure that the f-smash will hit. In that case go ahead and do the perfect pivot f-smash to a kill at 80%.

Also from here on out, my official text color will be changed to this shade of red :) Thoughts?
I like the blue better.

And, if they shield the Fsmash, they're getting pushed pretty far back. Unless the character is a speed demon like Fox or Mac, I'm gonna likely be able to make it out no issue. I could also go for PP shield breaker. Fsmash just kills earlier easier.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
But I like the red D:

Yea, they do get pushed back. I forgot about that for some reason. I have not slept correctly in around five days and I'm missing some things apparently. Still as you said, you can be punished by fast characters, or those with good reaction times to make you miss the attack. I need to sleep.

:094:

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
But I like the red D:

Yea, they do get pushed back. I forgot about that for some reason. I have not slept correctly in around five days and I'm missing some things apparently. Still as you said, you can be punished by fast characters, or those with good reaction times to make you miss the attack. I need to sleep.

:094:
Its not as soft on the eyes as the blue. Its harder to read and makes me have to focus more, and I'm not wearing my contacts so thats kinda hard XD

And well, yeah, if they can dodge to get away from Fsmash and get back in my grill in the time it takes me to be able to move again, I'm in trouble. But trying to spotdodge it is sorta risky, your timing has to be good. PP Fsmash has the benefit of sort of coming as a surprise, as it comes out relatively quick and while in motion. It'll definitely make most foes reel. If it hits, they're dead. If they dodge away, I'll probably be able to react before they can get back to me.

Especially if they dodge back to me, I should be able to DB into them at the very least and catch them on the dodge. If they are fast, I'm kinda in trouble, but it depends on how they come at me.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
@ Locuan Locuan

I know you locked the thread, but even though it may never come to fruition due to tournament legality and all that, I find it remarkably easy to do what looks like a Ken combo with customs on with a balanced equipment spread. If you don't want to continue it, perfectly fine, but it's just something I'll point out from my time spent in the lab.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
@ Locuan Locuan

I know you locked the thread, but even though it may never come to fruition due to tournament legality and all that, I find it remarkably easy to do what looks like a Ken combo with customs on with a balanced equipment spread. If you don't want to continue it, perfectly fine, but it's just something I'll point out from my time spent in the lab.
It would be a better option if you decide later to create a thread regarding your custom equipment that allows you to perform this. You can state all the parameters etc, that allows you to do it. Check in training mode if it counts it as a combo. Anyways, that old thread just screams misinformation and can give people the wrong idea.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
It would be a better option if you decide later to create a thread regarding your custom equipment that allows you to perform this. You can state all the parameters etc, that allows you to do it. Check in training mode if it counts it as a combo. Anyways, that old thread just screams misinformation and can give people the wrong idea.
Fair enough. I'm at school(and nobody's here -_-) atm, so I'll look into my parameters and see if the thread is worth creating.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Fair enough. I'm at school(and nobody's here -_-) atm, so I'll look into my parameters and see if the thread is worth creating.
Well, the other parameters like smooth landing badges and such could also be included. A thread for optimal equipment based characters I'd say, so we give people who like playing with equipment a place to discuss their viabilities and such for equip tournaments. As far as I understand, most has been speculation without proper investigation of how much the equipments wreck the balance (if, at all). The RNG for the equips is the other argument, but as long as people sign onto it knowing that their chances may depend on the equips they found, it shouldn't be too bad.

Even if we do not accept equipment tournaments, Im sure someone else will do it regardless. We may as well be as helpful as we can, if our curiousity carries us in that direction.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Equipment tournaments would be complicated. It would be time consuming to wait for everyone to set up their custom fighter during the tournament. The 3DS could accelerate the process by copying fighters but it would still be rather slow and not everyone has a 3DS plus the game. Also since customs have random stats it can place two players on uneven grounds. These are my two main concerns. Regardless, a thread highlighting what can be achieved with equipments sounds like a fun project.

Last edited:

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
Local tournament this saturday, too bad it's not worth streaming, though I'll represent Lucina nonetheless (Maybe some Robin as well).

I've been trying out Marth due to all the advantages over Lucina he has, however it feels wrong using him. I don't understand what it is but he feels weird to me now. Anyways, I'm staying with best waifu of Smash 4.

My reaction to how awkward I felt controlling Marth.
"This is the Hero King?"

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
While I'm in favor of a creative equipment thread, my experimentation with the equipment and the Ken combo has led to one conclusion: not worth that specific Ken Combo thread.

It's certainly much easier to land with balanced equipment(think all stats between 25-30), but there are some downsides. Increased mobility ironically makes it harder to land against Lucina-sized or lower targets(Marth, Pikachu, etc), but easier to land against bulkier targets(Bowser, Dedede, Donkey Kong). The U-air into jumping F-air can actually register as a combo with quick timing, but the final spike does not. I'm unsure if a human player can escape it because I haven't been able to test it. All of this was tested on a damage % of 30.

I'll experiment with equipment a bit more for that equipment centric thread since I have a few pieces that benefit Lucina greatly.

EDIT: I'll make that thread.

One thing: does Marth's blade SEEMS thinner than lucina's?
Kind of.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
So, it doesn't connect with equipment? Interesting. Are you thinking of a more general equipment thread or one applied to Lucina?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
So, it doesn't connect with equipment? Interesting. Are you thinking of a more general equipment thread or one applied to Lucina?
One applied to Lucina, I'm already writing it up.

There's a spread with a specific item that I use that has very good air mobility; with a little more specialization(which I can't achieve atm due to lacking sufficiently specific Defense equipment), it can potentially go underneath Final Destination, and with Dolphin Jump, survive, as an exaggerated testament to it's amazing mobility.

Last edited:

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Equipment tournaments would be complicated. It would be time consuming to wait for everyone to set up their custom fighter during the tournament. The 3DS could accelerate the process by copying fighters but it would still be rather slow and not everyone has a 3DS plus the game. Also since customs have random stats it can place two players on uneven grounds. These are my two main concerns. Regardless, a thread highlighting what can be achieved with equipments sounds like a fun project.
despite all that, you know someone will do it xD lookin forward to that data then Liquid

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Can relate to the whole Marth feeling very uncomfortable to use. I must be crazy but his weight makes me feel as if I added weights to my legs or something.

Played the Pikachu vs Lucina MU extensively last night and I can't help but feel Pika does everything is want to do but better lol. Hopefully I don't run into one during the bracket tonight. Btw will most likely be on VGBCs stream tonight so if any of you are available to see me get destroyed Id certainly appreciate it. : )

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Weird, asides of my opponent being better than me, I don't find the Pikachu MU particularly difficult. Sure, its dash wrecks many of our options, but timed attacks, walling with Ftilt/Jab, and just shielding/rolling (which feels like a RPS for when Pikachu will grab or attack) seems to to a nice job.
Also Marth/Lucina can trap Pikachu's landing just fine.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
From the games yesterday it felt like Pikas Uptilt covered most of my options when trying to punish Pika. granted if he ever messed up and did a full fair on me, the near g&w bair properties made it too easy to punish it on shield. But QAC, Pikas offstage game, and thunder jolts in general just made that mu more frustrating than disirable. ESAM is here too so I'll try and play him and get some insight. Inb4play a better char?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom