• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parallel Falchion - Lucina General and Q/A

Status
Not open for further replies.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Nah, jusgitgudman

M/L moveset should outrange Pika's Utilt, they should not go chase offstage Pikachu and should be safe against its edgeguard (you must be very smart with your recovery though), and jolts can be Powershielded/clashed with.

It's a very complex matchup, and it's difficult to understand it and begin to getting the best out of it, but it's far from unwinnable (maybe unfavorable with Smash 4's changes, but I'm not sure anymore)

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Rather unfortunately, my father wasn't able to find a standalone Wii U in Alabama...at least there are a few here, just need to save up for one...

M@v

Subarashii!
So does Lucina have any actual combos or easy to get strings besides uptilt chains at low percents and juggling opportunities? I'm not counting sideb chaining into itself either. Now side b into another move would count. I've been playing Lucina a while now and cant seem to find anything other than hard read follow ups . ;/

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
She does. For example, a falling U-air > U-tilt can combo from 0-lower mid or high mid percents depending on the characters weight. Down Throw into U-air can also combo at 0%. There are quite a few others. You can check out @ EternalFlame EternalFlame 's guide it has quite a few setups, strings, and combos. The guide is linked in the Lucina Boards Table of Contents which is pinned to the character board. Also M@v every time I see your avatars they are awesome.

Forgot to mention that falling U-air > jab can also combo.

EDIT: here's the direct link to the guide. Section 2 talks about setups and combos.

Last edited:

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Can relate to the whole Marth feeling very uncomfortable to use. I must be crazy but his weight makes me feel as if I added weights to my legs or something.

Played the Pikachu vs Lucina MU extensively last night and I can't help but feel Pika does everything is want to do but better lol. Hopefully I don't run into one during the bracket tonight. Btw will most likely be on VGBCs stream tonight so if any of you are available to see me get destroyed Id certainly appreciate it. : )
They're having a stream on today? perhaps I'll try to enter the brackets too xD

She does. For example, a falling U-air > U-tilt can combo from 0-lower mid or high mid percents depending on the characters weight. Down Throw into U-air can also combo at 0%. There are quite a few others. You can check out @ EternalFlame EternalFlame 's guide it has quite a few setups, strings, and combos. The guide is linked in the Lucina Boards Table of Contents which is pinned to the character board. Also M@v every time I see your avatars they are awesome.

EDIT: here's the direct link to the guide. Section 2 talks about setups and combos.
So does Lucina have any actual combos or easy to get strings besides uptilt chains at low percents and juggling opportunities? I'm not counting sideb chaining into itself either. Now side b into another move would count. I've been playing Lucina a while now and cant seem to find anything other than hard read follow ups . ;/
The falling UAir combos into a lot of things than just UTilt and Jab btw xD But M@v see them on the guide so I can spare myself of having to repeat what's written there. Marth/Lucina's true combo potential isn't that high, but they have lots of setups to keep their attack strings going. Hopefully the guide will prove to be some use to you xD

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
The falling UAir combos into a lot of things than just UTilt and Jab btw xD But M@v see them on the guide so I can spare myself of having to repeat what's written there. Marth/Lucina's true combo potential isn't that high, but they have lots of setups to keep their attack strings going. Hopefully the guide will prove to be some use to you xD
Definitely! For example at lower percents it can even combo into U-smash. On another note, I got back to Texas today. I have internet to myself again and I'm just staring at the screen on my TV deciding if to buy FE7 on virtual console or not.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Gotta say, after this I'm convinced that I'll give learning MUs like Lucina vs Sheik/Rosa/Diddy for a year and if I can't find an answer then it'll certainly be time to start picking up or maining a character that can handle said MUs.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Gotta say, after this I'm convinced that I'll give learning MUs like Lucina vs Sheik/Rosa/Diddy for a year and if I can't find an answer then it'll certainly be time to start picking up or maining a character that can handle said MUs.
Just get a secondary character that can deal with the match-ups you have difficulty with. In Brawl I was an MK main but I always lost the Diddy match-up no matter how much practice I put into it. So I had Luigi in the mix for when that match-up showed up, it was my go to character vs. Diddy.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
It seems like a must have for competitive smash. I only stayed local in brawl but with all of this traveling and exposure I've had a change of heart lol

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Practicing the matchups and developing technology for them is always welcome though.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Practicing the matchups and developing technology for them is always welcome though.
That's definitely true. I offered Tsusaki that advice if he seems hard pressed in finding a solution to a match-up he has difficulty with. I guess I should have worded it differently. It can give the wrong idea.

M@v

Subarashii!

Thanks for the link; thanks to Eternal Flame too; I'll definitely check it out. I've just had trouble figuring out what stuff I've been doing is guaranteed or not guaranteed, or hard to get out of X_x.

And thank about the Avatar comment, I try my best <3. Robin and Lucina are two of my favorite characters in smash 4 franchise/story wise, and I've been trying my hardest to make one of them work for me competitively. It looks like Lucina will be my best bet of those two,and as of now I'm going to try to secondary her along with Mario, and Fox as my main (He's another one of my favorite characters story wise; Starfox is amazing.)

Last edited:

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Thanks for the link; thanks to Eternal Flame too; I'll definitely check it out. I've just had trouble figuring out what stuff I've been doing is guaranteed or not guaranteed, or hard to get out of X_x.

And thank about the Avatar comment, I try my best <3. Robin and Lucina are two of my favorite characters in smash 4 franchise/story wise, and I've been trying my hardest to make one of them work for me competitively. It looks like Lucina will be my best bet of those two,and as of now I'm going to try to secondary her along with Mario, and Fox as my main (He's another one of my favorite characters story wise; Starfox is amazing.)
If ever you have any questions about the guide and stuff, don't hesitate to ask xD

Definitely! For example at lower percents it can even combo into U-smash. On another note, I got back to Texas today. I have internet to myself again and I'm just staring at the screen on my TV deciding if to buy FE7 on virtual console or not.
I still need to beat that one myself. I only beat Lyn's story and am still in Eliwood's story, but it was the first one that technically came to NA, and I'd recommend playing it xD

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
So I'm a zss main and I usually don't mingle around however curious about one thing since lucina is a secondary of mine tiedwith zelda.

Anywho so what do you guys do when you shield break someone?

For me I tend to turn so when I use her side taunt she's facing the screen letting them know she cannot lose, after that I either run through -> b reversed shield breaker or short hop over -> same thing.

Afterwards regardless I either look at them and up taunt or face the screen and put on her sexy mask k (which I swore she clearly throws away every match) xD.

Although there was one time I did this.
*video taking forever to upload.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D40Xe2TGEhA

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
So I'm a zss main and I usually don't mingle around however curious about one thing since lucina is a secondary of mine tiedwith zelda.

*jerk mode engage*

Taunt once with any taunt not the mask taunt(in which case I taunt twice), and then charge another Shield Breaker to most likely kill at the damage % I landed that first Shield Breaker.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I usually B-reverse the move when landing or feign that I'm getting some distance between my opponent only to B-reverse the shield breaker. I also use it after a F-air or B-air to cover my landing if the opponent is rushing towards me after a missed aerial. These are just some of the situations where you can utilize the move.
If you're sassy enough, you can try to do a ken combo.
A Ken String. :upsidedown:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Wasn't the Ken Combo, like, unable to be performed? I know I went on record saying it gets mixed results with equipment, but still.

Last edited:

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
It's still called the ken combo regardless of the string. You can still be able to do it if the opponent doesn't know what to do.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I know...and I've managed it a select few times on FG players...but impossible on anyone smart.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Sigh my sentences need work , let try again xD. How do you disrespect and humiliate them when you break their shield to add insult to injury?

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Sigh my sentences need work , let try again xD. How do you disrespect and humiliate them when you break their shield to add insult to injury?
this saddens me greatly that people would even ask such a question and its treated like an everyday thing.

I'll stick by my code and defeat every opponent with respect and dignity. Such thoughts of humiliating your opponent stains the blade of other Lucinas and even Marths out there; There is no honour in such sentiments nor heart behind the swing that follows (against friends that know you're kidding however is a different story though xD)

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
this saddens me greatly that people would even ask such a question and its treated like an everyday thing.

I'll stick by my code and defeat every opponent with respect and dignity. Such thoughts of humiliating your opponent stains the blade of other Lucinas and even Marths out there; There is no honour in such sentiments nor heart behind the swing that follows (against friends that know you're kidding however is a different story though xD)
I don't think anyone here would actually do something like that though, It's just a funny thought!

Falchion will remain forever pure

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

Disrespect is highly common in competitive play, though. But as a joke.

Last edited:

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
I don't think anyone here would actually do something like that though, It's just a funny thought!

Falchion will remain forever pure
Ideally, yes xD But it doesnt hurt to re emphasize for the sake of those who dont know better.

Disrespect is highly common in competitive play, though. But as a joke.
By the fact that is so commonplace is what saddens me, since some can really mean it and use how it is now as an excuse to breed the thought further. The players who do it as a joke could end up losing sight of the joke aspect or encourage those who actually mean disrespect to continue the practice. Others can also get discouraged by said taunts, even if the intention wasnt to do this.Then what respect they could have had for the opponent is lost, and then its something they may not care to learn by fighting properly.

Perhaps it is idealistic of me, but I want to treat every match as a chance to grow for all players involved and promote respect from all sides. We should be helping one another to not only get stronger and enjoy the game, but set an example of what it means to be a strong person who plays competitively (no matter the game in question).

We represent not just the characters we choose, but ourselves and everything we stand for in every fight we are in. Our beliefs, our values, and our intentions are on display as we clash against our opponents; the conduct we should show to another person should carry into the games we play - especially when playing with randoms.

Last edited:

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
So yesterday I was playing in For Glory mode and I came across this Donkey Kong player. I'd say that we were about even but for some reason this matchup was a real struggle for me. Does Lucina have a bad matchup against Donkey Kong? I want to think that maybe I just wasn't using her right but sometimes it feels like DK outranges me. It was just such a weird experience. I should probably note that this is my first time using the Marth moveset in a Smash game so a lot of things are still foreign to me.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
So yesterday I was playing in For Glory mode and I came across this Donkey Kong player. I'd say that we were about even but for some reason this matchup was a real struggle for me. Does Lucina have a bad matchup against Donkey Kong? I want to think that maybe I just wasn't using her right but sometimes it feels like DK outranges me. It was just such a weird experience. I should probably note that this is my first time using the Marth moveset in a Smash game so a lot of things are still foreign to me.
Had that feeling in the past, but I don't think that's necessarily true. DK may just be in a better position to attack than you do, otherwise his maximum range ought to match or be a little less than yours. One key difference is that Lucina's reach is disjointed, while DK's is not, so as long as you select the right move to attack with, you should be able to hit him before he hits you. Just always be mindful of spacing, and how your spacing forces your hitbox forward a bit too; that can make the difference in being hit farther than you normally would have if your attack misses before he throws out his.

Since this is the first time using Lucina, then it's alright to feel the way you did against DK for now. Once you've adjusted on how to deal with opponents better with the Lucina/Marth playstyle, the MU probably won't be as weird as it seems right now.

Anyways, hopefully that helps out dude ^^

Last edited:

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
Ugh online lags way too much for me, like it isn't BAD but it makes me change my playstyle since the button inputs delay a few milliseconds.

I'm kinda bored of practicing against CPUs since if you don't pick your safest options you get #rekt

You see, I like play Lucina as someone would play Shiek or Fox, I love getting in your face. And I mean, since I live in a rather small town at the moment, the bi-weekly Smash Tournament doesn't have a huge pool of advanced players... and when I mean doesn't, I mean like only one or two people there are fun to play against because they provide some sort of challenge...

Kinda wish I was a city boy right now.

Last edited:

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Ugh online lags way too much for me, like it isn't BAD but it makes me change my playstyle since the button inputs delay a few milliseconds.

I'm kinda bored of practicing against CPUs since if you don't pick your safest options you get #rekt

You see, I like play Lucina as someone would play Shiek or Fox, I love getting in your face. And I mean, since I live in a rather small town at the moment, the bi-weekly Smash Tournament doesn't have a huge pool of advanced players... and when I mean doesn't, I mean like only one or two people there are fun to play against because they provide some sort of challenge...

Kinda wish I was a city boy right now.
Funny enough, I'm in a similar position to you xD But the friends I usually play online have pretty good connections so I usually don't need to adjust too much (as a passive agro player, switching between fighting styles is my shtick xD).

Now I may just have a higher tolerance for latency, but usually people on the forums here have better connections for playing online, so the lag should be minimal at best. If you can't find people locally, adjusting to latency will probably be your only avenue left for competitive play. But still, its cool that you have bi-weekly tournament. I get like 1 local tournament in like 6 month's - a year, depending on when my friends want to make one. You may also consider growing your community to become stronger by constantly playing them and showing them the tricks if they want. I've had to do that in the past with some of my friends, and it paid off in the long run.

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
Funny enough, I'm in a similar position to you xD But the friends I usually play online have pretty good connections so I usually don't need to adjust too much (as a passive agro player, switching between fighting styles is my shtick xD).

Now I may just have a higher tolerance for latency, but usually people on the forums here have better connections for playing online, so the lag should be minimal at best. If you can't find people locally, adjusting to latency will probably be your only avenue left for competitive play. But still, its cool that you have bi-weekly tournament. I get like 1 local tournament in like 6 month's - a year, depending on when my friends want to make one. You may also consider growing your community to become stronger by constantly playing them and showing them the tricks if they want. I've had to do that in the past with some of my friends, and it paid off in the long run.
Yeah, I give some of them tips and tricks every now and then.
(Few of them main Zero Suit and constantly try to use Up-B out of no-where to get the kill... never works haha)
I'll see what I can do I guess, I actually don't like winning so much, knowing that I have obstacles to overcome makes the experience even better!

I'll try playing against the community here, hopefully once I'm out of highschool I can try moving to a city where there is a larger scene

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Alright so... I GOT FIFTH PLACE IN A TOURNAMENT. *Ahem* sorry about that. I haven't had those results since the brawl days. Anyways, I played a bunch of characters due to match-ups and whatnot. I used: :4lucina::4marth::4diddy::4sheik::4zss:. The tournament had 60 entrants. They were not expecting that turn out for a local. So hyped right now. I need to get more practice in.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord

Yes well I meant disrespect and humiliate them in terms of the trolling good time of El oh El your shield just got broken( I also meant in terms of making them slightly irritated , possibly opening then up to mistakes).

As for treating opponents with respect I do that every game to the point where I try to take every game seriously like it was a bracket match.

I know the salty feel of having someone go and give you that mercy stock when you SD and I don't do it because yeah it sucks but I wouldn't want someone to feel bad for me and do that I'd want them to jot hesitate and keep going strong irregardless of my misfortune.

Darn I came off as Jerk again didn't I ?
-_-0

I swear it's zss and zelda fault I must have inherited some sass or disreputable from my main and secondary xD.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Alright so... I GOT FIFTH PLACE IN A TOURNAMENT. *Ahem* sorry about that. I haven't had those results since the brawl days. Anyways, I played a bunch of characters due to match-ups and whatnot. I used: :4lucina::4marth::4diddy::4sheik::4zss:. The tournament had 60 entrants. They were not expecting that turn out for a local. So hyped right now. I need to get more practice in.
awesome work dude xD Keep it up

Yes well I meant disrespect and humiliate them in terms of the trolling good time of El oh El your shield just got broken( I also meant in terms of making them slightly irritated , possibly opening then up to mistakes).

As for treating opponents with respect I do that every game to the point where I try to take every game seriously like it was a bracket match.

I know the salty feel of having someone go and give you that mercy stock when you SD and I don't do it because yeah it sucks but I wouldn't want someone to feel bad for me and do that I'd want them to jot hesitate and keep going strong irregardless of my misfortune.

Darn I came off as Jerk again didn't I ?
-_-0

I swear it's zss and zelda fault I must have inherited some sass or disreputable from my main and secondary xD.
Yeah, the trolling good times on friends is sorta fine and all, its just a little different when randoms are involved and they may not know better. To use that kind of frustration against your opponents I personally find underhanded; I prefer to fight them at their best with my own, and its not satisfying if either side can't give it their all, no matter their skill level. Like it's one thing to keep reading them or using an attacking tactic to inadvertently affect your opponent, and its another thing when using a taunt/teabagging that was primarily intended for causing frustration to your opponents (again, those things need context, thats why its sorta ok to use it with friends). Just as important, we all play the game to have fun, so making people frustrated like that isn't exactly fun for them - and you want them to treat you with the same respect. But that's good that you normally treat the opponent with respect.

And I see nothing wrong with someone giving you or you yourself giving that mercy stock. It's not just for the opponent's sake that one does this, but a true fight is always done on an even playing field. Thus, you do this for your own sake, as well as theirs. You create mutual respect and show desire for that even, fair fight. Even if my opponent would say not to do it, personal conviction presses me to do the honour SD. To quote a certain character, "a knight's prestige is in the number of contests, not the number of conquests" (Ky Kiske ~ Guilty Gear Xrd).

Came off a little bit as a jerk, but more like someone who didn't know better about that whole honour thing xD Not too many practice it, and my ranting aside, not everyone will heed what I say either. This sort of code will result in you losing some matches, may make you salty at points, or sometimes makes you give mercy to those who you don't think deserve it (though the last is given with a bit of thought first xD). But for the sake of my faith and beliefs, it is a gaming lifestyle I've choosen to take, and I can only encourage others to do similar. I can only give you (as well as anyone else who actually bothers to read this rant xD) this point of view, and the decision will be yours to practice it or not.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Fair enough and acceptable point of view however a few things though, Sometimes people need that push to do their best and respect you for murdering them.

Secondly sometimes in the heat of battle misfortune strikes even the one who is already behind and since we're quoting...NVM
It's been along time so I can't remember something about some things can only be shared by fighting them.

Thirdly regarding the mercy stock, I'd rather be the one who get's salty and having someone come back from a stock and beating me then having them get salty that I SD to make the game even (Don't get me wrong there are Friends I have probably done this for even i bracket).

Fighting with honor seems to be the best way to Level up some aspects of your play though and it's not like I'm never down for that xD.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I personally feel that taunts are useful as a means of communicating online, but that a certain amount of discretion is needed. Some taunting is fine, and I'll regularly use "Show me ya moves!" or "Come at Me!" as a greeting at the start of matches on For Glory or with friends. I'll also use taunts when I feel I or my opponent has done something particularly awesome, such as when I get a combo kill with ZSS off the top blast zone. In more serious matches, I generally won't use taunts, as it can be seen as unprofessional.

As for SDing in order to even the playing field...in some circles, that's a show of arrogance, rather than respect, and can make people as upset as taunting can. Trying to assign honor or dishonor to actions is difficult, and varies depending on the situation and who you're playing against. Generally just playing at your best ability is the best show of respect you can give someone. :)

Just my 2 cents. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom