• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parallel Falchion - Lucina General and Q/A

Status
Not open for further replies.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Okay, thank you! I appreciate all this so much, especially since I am new here and am a fairly shy individual.
Not sure if I believe the shyness, since you were brave enough to ask for help xD I also can certainly learn to be more humble in that respect.

Mercify

Smash Cadet
NNID
C-Grain_Chrom
Not sure if I believe the shyness, since you were brave enough to ask for help xD I also can certainly learn to be more humble in that respect.
I could see that I don't seem very shy, but I have been on smash boards for a couple months, and just recently I got the courage to make an account and start talking to people. It is still pretty difficult for me to be able to ask questions and stuff, but everyone on here is so nice that it has gotten a lot easier. The shyness probably stems from my anxiety I have which has eased up a bit so that's probably another reason I've been social on here.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I am thinking maybe anyone would like to train with me I play at EST 8:30 PM FC:
5258-0944-8920
PM me
Hey there! First of all T3RT1S, welcome to smashboards! Secondly, I moved your post to the General and Q/A thread. This is a better place to find people to play/train against.
This is not about gameplay, but...why "Mopcina"?
I don't understand that nickname XD
@BJN39 time for an explanation.

Langston777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
langston777
Perhaps someone could answer something for me:

When people say Lucina can be more aggressive than Marth, what exactly does this even mean? All of Marths moves are pretty unsafe if you aren't at max range anyway, and Lucina's shield breaker has less shield damage potential if i'm not mistaken. As far as I'm concerned, Marth benefits from playing aggressively unless you're fighting a character like Diddy, Mario or Puff. So how is Lucina more "aggressive"? Is it a matchup thing?

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Grats to the Local win Locuan!

Placed a consistent 9th in mine, still have more homework to do. Adjusted enough to beat Doc this time around though, now just to find the answer to Rosalina..

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Perhaps someone could answer something for me:

When people say Lucina can be more aggressive than Marth, what exactly does this even mean? All of Marths moves are pretty unsafe if you aren't at max range anyway, and Lucina's shield breaker has less shield damage potential if i'm not mistaken. As far as I'm concerned, Marth benefits from playing aggressively unless you're fighting a character like Diddy, Mario or Puff. So how is Lucina more "aggressive"? Is it a matchup thing?
Marth and Lucina are both spacing characters they should be played similarly. If you play aggressively, you are risking a punish from your opponent. Marth and Lucina have a lot of end-lag on their moves. Also, Lucina has a 1.0x hit-lag modifier, while Marth has a 0.7x hitlag modifier on his sour-spots. So in any case Lucina is risking more by playing aggressively since she would be easier to punish after hitting an opponents shield. The "Lucina being more aggressive" notion is an incorrect assumption that comes up because her blade gives the same damage throughout. That's all. People do not take everything else into account. And the math is there. But yea @Shaya, @Emblem Lord, @ EternalFlame EternalFlame and I have addressed this multiple times but it still shows up frequently.
Grats to the Local win Locuan!

Placed a consistent 9th in mine, still have more homework to do. Adjusted enough to beat Doc this time around though, now just to find the answer to Rosalina..
Thanks! Although how did you find out? I did win both locals yesterday and Sunday :)

Last edited:

Langston777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
langston777
so i'm correct in assuming the people who argue that don't play the character or are in denial. ok, thanks for the more informed answer.

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
How should I play Lucina?
She's one my favorite characters in the game, but her style seems dramatically different from the campy playstyles I'm use to. A lot of the time I feel like I'm wasting movements. I mostly play Toon Link so I'm a bit lost w/o meh projectiles.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
How should I play Lucina?
She's one my favorite characters in the game, but her style seems dramatically different from the campy playstyles I'm use to. A lot of the time I feel like I'm wasting movements. I mostly play Toon Link so I'm a bit lost w/o meh projectiles.
Well for starters, her and Marth follow the principle that they keep all of their opponents at a sword's legnth away, and never let their opponents get too close or too far away from that. This sort of advise sums up majority of what most Lucina and Marth players will be able to tell you, but in more detail in some places or another.

Because this sort of question has a lot to it,more than just one text box will do. And so I'll direct you to my guide on my signature below, as that'll be a good place to start. If something from there is unclear, then feel free to ask questions. Otherwise, we'll get walls of text for such a question (not that I entirely mind, but best make use of stuff already written for this sort of question right?)

Also, Locuan has a Table of contents thread for any sort of info you're looking for (including the guide I mentioned):
http://smashboards.com/threads/read-me-lucina-boards-table-of-contents.385074/

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Anyone wanna play?
Man, surprized no one heeded the call for a match :/

I saw it when you posted, but I was busy at the time so I wouldn't have been able to play anyways. Perhaps you'd consider joining the Lucina skype chat? You'd likely get a faster response for a match there than anywhere else.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Man, surprized no one heeded the call for a match :/

I saw it when you posted, but I was busy at the time so I wouldn't have been able to play anyways. Perhaps you'd consider joining the Lucina skype chat? You'd likely get a faster response for a match there than anywhere else.
I don't have a skype tho so umm yeah

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
I don't have a skype tho so umm yeah
True, but the option is always there if you wanted to get it (not like it costs money to get anywho xD)

Granted, this was probably the best place to ask for a match in the forums, so I guess it was just how the draw came for today

M@v

Subarashii!
I should try to get some luci na videos up soon. If I'm lucky maybe I'll have lucina matches recorded at APEX.

Last edited:

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
I should try to get some lucina videos up soon. If I'm lucky maybe I'll have lucina matches recorded at APEX.
Give it your best shot dude xD

Believe in the training you've been through, and believe in yourself - luck will have nothing to do with it. Go out there and play with everything you have, and don't let a shred of regret enter while doing so. Above all other priorities, enjoy yourself there and make the most to learn from it.

Dunno why, but I felt I should say that to ya, since you're heading to APEX and all. Hoping to hear some good results xD

M@v

Subarashii!
Don't worry. I've played smash a loooooong time and been to a lot of tournaments, so this isn't my first rodeo (I've actually only missed one APEX before). I'm not going 100% lucina; I have a Fox/Mario/Lucina mesh I'm going to use and go from there. Depends who gets hot/matchups/stages. Like I'm not going to touch Lucina on FD vs someone with a projectile for example, but i'll gladly go Fox in that same situation. I need to see how well my Lucina does vs Rosalina, because thats the one character I have had consistent trouble with when I use my other characters. Haven't gotten to try Lucina on an offline one yet; I may get my chance tomorrow at a tourney though if the Rosalina player shows up.

Last edited:

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Don't worry. I've played smash a loooooong time and been to a lot of tournaments, so this isn't my first rodeo (I've actually only missed one APEX before). I'm not going 100% lucina, I have a Fox/Mario/Lucina mesh I'm going to use and go from there. Depends who gets hot/matchups/stages. Like I'm not going to touch Lucina on FD vs someone with a projectile for example, but i'll gladly go Fox in that same situation. I need to see how well my Lucina does vs Rosalina, because thats the one character I have had consistent trouble with when I use my other characters. Haven't gotten to try Lucina on an offline one yet; may get my chance tomorrow at a tourney though if the Rosalina player shows up.
As long as my message got it's intended purpose understood, then I've done my job xD Good to know you've got that tournament experience, so I trust you'll do well in keeping all you've learned together.

Rosalina is debatably easier for Marth/Lucina, since you aim to get rid of Luma before dealing with Rosalina and Lucina has the moves to outspace/knock away Luma with little effort. I'm not too familiar with the MU outside one of my friend's usage of her (who does use her rather well I must say), but Lucina should be able to handle her either way.

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Erotic ShulkXLucina fanart. Too bad RobinXLucina shippers. :^)

AozoraX

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys

I went into a tournament at a meetup the other day and I tied for 9th, but I got bodied by Yoshi and I had some issues with Falco.

I'm hoping you guys can help me out with more specific knowledge (less so general).

Thanks for the help <3

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey there @ AozoraX AozoraX ! First of all, welcome to the Lucina boards! I moved your post to our General and Question and Answer Thread. Additionally, we covered the Falco match-up on the Lucina Match-up Thread. The Yoshi match-up has also been discussed but on the Marth Match-up thread. I hope that can help you out. Regardless, others will also be able to give you their input :)

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
What are all of Mop's ATs?
Hmm, I'll direct ya to my guide for majority of the setups/combos, as for any other ATs, I can't think of much else that is Lucina exclusive. Just pointing ya in that direction to save writing walls of text here xD

We have stuff like roll cancel grabs, which don't do much for us, OoS options, but that's covered in most guides Basic's sections, or Foxtrotting + Perfect pivoting which already has its own post for it (and is common knowledge now). Not sure what ATs you could be looking for outside of the stuff on my guide :/ but perhaps there's something I missed?

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Hmm, I'll direct ya to my guide for majority of the setups/combos, as for any other ATs, I can't think of much else that is Lucina exclusive. Just pointing ya in that direction to save writing walls of text here xD

We have stuff like roll cancel grabs, which don't do much for us, OoS options, but that's covered in most guides Basic's sections, or Foxtrotting + Perfect pivoting which already has its own post for it (and is common knowledge now). Not sure what ATs you could be looking for outside of the stuff on my guide :/ but perhaps there's something I missed?
like a lucina only AT. Like how Zelda has love jumping, and peach has had her turnip lag cancel.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
like a lucina only AT. Like how Zelda has love jumping, and peach has had her turnip lag cancel.
Whatever Lucina can do, Marth can do, so both of their ATs are identical. And based on their minimal differences, there isn't any Lucina specific AT to my knowledge.

There is the one difference, where Lucina's SB is aimed slightly higher than Marth's, so she can target opponents slightly higher than her. Her Up Smash is superior than Marth's, and her SB is slightly stronger too. But both of them still play generally the same.

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
@ EternalFlame EternalFlame Thanks a bunch for the reply, I'll definitely check that link along with other forums.

Q. Whats the best way to move with Lucina? Her dash feels a little slow to me, along with her Pivots and end dash animation. Perhaps I'm just not use to her yet. (She can account for most of my FG losses lol)

Last edited:

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
@ EternalFlame EternalFlame Thanks a bunch for the reply, I'll definitely check that link along with other forums.

Q. Whats the best way to move with Lucina? Her dash feels a little slow to me, along with her Pivots and end dash animation. Perhaps I'm just not use to her yet. (She can account for most of my FG losses lol)
Always glad to be of service sir (^^)

As for optimal movement, that actually depends on you really. Like I run more than I do foxtrot/dash, but that doesnt rule out the movement either. Dashing done with quick flicks of the stick has steady movement that can go into any move with ease without that sliding to a stop animation. The other tilts and smashs in particular are easier to use out of this movement too.

Pivoting may not seem useful at first, but there are applications like defensive back stepping or catching people out of rolls. But part of their application depends on your playstyle. Are you agro or defensive? or perhaps somewhere in the middle(like myself)?

I personally go more for running shield to something for starting movement, then alternate as the situation calls (well, the latter is being worked on xD). Movement again will depend on your playstyle, so figure out what you like to do, then shape your movement on that − thats the best advice I can give ya right now.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Nay, my carpool cancelled on me. But I'm there in name! TP Saki in Ally's bracket. (Until I'm DQ'D)

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
This board seems to not that much activity, let's change that. How do you Practice edge guarding and what do you do to approach her neutral b?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm the kinda person who can't sit still for serious training, so I hone my skills my jumping right into For Glory.

I like to use n-air and d-tilt to edgeguard. I haven't touched Lucina in ages, though, I really need to brush up with her.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey there @ PMMikey PMMikey ! First of all, welcome to Smashboards and the Lucina Character Boards. I moved your post here to the Lucina General, Question and Answer Thread. Please ask or answer any questions that you may have of Lucina's gameplay here.
Nay, my carpool cancelled on me. But I'm there in name! TP Saki in Ally's bracket. (Until I'm DQ'D)
Ah I see. :(

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
see Kenith I told you

Terrible isn't the right word in my opinion; rather, I prefer the term outclassed.

Lucina, by herself, is an okay character. When compared to Marth, however, she's lackluster since a player with higher skill will get much more out of Marth than Lucina due to tippers and increased damage from constantly landing them.

That's the way I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom