• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parallel Falchion - Lucina General and Q/A

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Aggro is much better with Lucina due to the balanced sword; watch out for shields, though, as she's quite unsafe on block.

C_Mill24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C-Mill24
3DS FC
3609-1632-1621
Aggro is much better with Lucina due to the balanced sword; watch out for shields, though, as she's quite unsafe on block.
I guess something I could do to mix things up is when attacking the opponent if they keep raising their shield, I can use Lucina's neutral special to apply tons of damage to their shield.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I guess something I could do to mix things up is when attacking the opponent if they keep raising their shield, I can use Lucina's neutral special to apply tons of damage to their shield.
Or just use Shield Breaker if they are shield-happy.

Arwen Evenstar16

Smash Rookie
Hey guys. I have just started learning to play smash competitively two months ago, and decided to main Lucina about two weeks ago. Do you guys have any stradegy tips for a beginning Lucina player? I have been playing as her for a few weeks so I have a basic feel for the character. Any help is appreciated. Nice meeting you all. :D. ~Arwen Evenstar~

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey @ Arwen Evenstar16 Arwen Evenstar16 . First of all, welcome to Smashboards! I moved your post here to the Lucina General and Question and Answer Thread. One of the uses for this thread is to answer questions just as the ones you just made. So please utilize it whenever you have questions in the future.

We have a lot of resources regarding Lucina's gameplay which are either pinned to our character boards or listed in our Lucina Boards Table of Contents. From the one's listed I recommend reading @ EternalFlame EternalFlame 's guide The blade of two Fates. I also recommend reading @Emblem Lord's Promotion to Great Lord Thread. Both of these threads should give you a great idea of how to utilize Lucina in a competitive environment.

acetuner

Smash Rookie
You know the Mario's Fox's? Their jabs and grabs are too much.

I've tried fairs but it feels like so much lag on landing and then the punishes.

What irrates me is every character I fight has like a cookie cutter attack pattern, that works. If I know what it is then I should be able to punish it right?

Players on Anther's said my spacing is good and my punishes are better but I guess so is my opponents.

When I play Lucina I don't really have a cookie cutter attack pattern.. I just use whatever I think is appropriate.

Tips? (Not Marth's)

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey there @ A acetuner ! First of all, welcome to Smashboards. I moved your post here to the Lucina General and Question and Answer Thread. Please utilize this thread whenever you have any questions related to Lucina's gameplay. Anyways, Fox's down throw into fair is avoidable with proper DI. When Mario grabs you, if he utilizes up-tilt, you can get away from him with a Dolphin Slash at low percents and hit him in the process. If he uses down throw into up-b at low percents he will probably hit you. Now when you are at higher percents you can DI away from Mario's down throw and evade his up-b follow up.

EDIT: Mario not Marth trolled myself :awesome:

Last edited:

acetuner

Smash Rookie
Hey there @ A acetuner ! First of all, welcome to Smashboards. I moved your post here to the Lucina General and Question and Answer Thread. Please utilize this thread whenever you have any questions related to Lucina's gameplay. Anyways, Fox's down throw into fair is avoidable with proper DI. When Mario grabs you, if he utilizes up-tilt, you can get away from him with a Dolphin Slash at low percents and hit him in the process. If he uses down throw into up-b at low percents he will probably hit you. Now when you are at higher percents you can DI away from Mario's down throw and evade his up-b follow up.

EDIT: Mario not Marth trolled myself :awesome:
Thanks ! I didn't know I was supposed to use this thread. Any tips on follow ups? I don't know a guaranteed one for Lucina.

Or do I gotta work on spacing within a certain zone?

I meant after a dthrow. Also can I cancel Luigi's fireballs with Ftilt and still react in time of the incoming grab? Or am I better just whittling away with retreating fairs?

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey @ A acetuner . First of all, I merged your posts. Be wary of double posting since it's against Smashboards Terms of Service and Rules. I know you are new so don't worry about it. However, I recommend reading the ToS.

Secondly, by follow ups, do you mean when an opponent misses an attack and you want to punish said opponent? It all depends on the situation you have been placed. Could you be a bit more descriptive regarding your question? That way I might be able to help out in a more detailed manner.

Last edited:

crunchy_cereal

Smash Rookie
Nor do I plan to. But after beating Lucina, I want to make her my main and I want to know as much as I can about her. So...any noteworthy information about her? Also, what is your opinion on her?

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Nor do I plan to. But after beating Lucina, I want to make her my main and I want to know as much as I can about her. So...any noteworthy information about her? Also, what is your opinion on her?
Hey there @ crunchy_cereal crunchy_cereal ! First of all, welcome to Smashboards! I see you just registered today! I moved your post to our General and Question and Answer Thread. Please utilize this thread whenever you have any questions regarding Lucina's gameplay. Now to answer your questions. Click this link for more information on guides etc.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Well, there's also the Lucina table of contents thread...

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
In a nutshell:

Lucina is Chrom's daughter from the future, she briefly disguises herself as Marth, she doesn't joke around and she will kill you if you get in her way. She's also adorable when she lets her guard down and is immensely talented with her swordplay skills.

Xanthos

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2595-2781-4315
Hey guys I'm relatively new to Smash 4 and I've decided to use Lucina as my main character. I've gotten most of the tricks such as aerials and edge guarding down but I've been having trouble incorporating the DB (Dancing Blade) forward B move into my arsenal. In order to play this game and the character effectively I need to be able to use all of the moves they give me. So any tips?

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey guys I'm relatively new to Smash 4 and I've decided to use Lucina as my main character. I've gotten most of the tricks such as aerials and edge guarding down but I've been having trouble incorporating the DB (Dancing Blade) forward B move into my arsenal. In order to play this game and the character effectively I need to be able to use all of the moves they give me. So any tips?
Hey there! First of all, welcome to Smashboards! I moved your post here to the Lucina Question and Answer Thread. Please utilize this thread whenever you have any questions regarding Lucina's gameplay. I recommend reading the guide @ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A linked for you which was made by @ EternalFlame EternalFlame . It is very informative.

Xanthos

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2595-2781-4315
I can see many different people with different play styles in this Forum and that's great! Personally I play an aggressive aerial Lucina, who constantly pressures with SH NAirs and Shield Breakers, keeps the opponents on their toes. I can see how she can be played passive aggressive, only poking as a counter instead of the initiator, however I believe that Lucina does have the potential to whither away at the opponent as long as you don't become predictable. Her key power is that you can't use the same thing against her every trade. For instance a shield won't work every time due to shield breaker and she can easily reach over to poke a dodge roll if it's predicted. In terms of power Lucina does lack, but her speed and constant pressure makes me believe that she's one of the most versatile characters if you are good at prediction and spacing.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Just to add on a bit as well, the DB stuff can be found in the setups/combo's section for all (or at least the seeming most useful of) your available options, while the strategies section speaks on using them in actual battle. Please refer to the setups/combo's part first, so the latter will make a bit more sense xD

Hopefully it will be of assistance to ya, and feel free to ask any questions here. All the best with strengthening your Lucina

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
So... Got back into Marth/Lucina for the conquest. Had to rep the mop, and I'm really enjoying how they play. Most notably, the really long initial dash. It is really awful for dash>shield (which Mega Man does really well with a good shield grab), but foxtrot dancing is so good. It works like what Melee dash dancing looks like (never played Melee competitively but watched videos). I watched a couple smash 4 videos and it doesn't look like many people use this to bait and space with... whyyy?

And of course, after playing with foxtrot dancing in training mode, I go to For Glory and find a good Mega Man. I feel like foxtrot dancing would work against almost ANY other character except Mega. :(

Haven't played the mop in a month and went pretty even with this guy. :D

Edit: Wait what. Lucina makes so much sense to me now. Dash>Shield is bad because her walking speed is so good. Dash is for Foxtrot dancing spacing. @_@ Mop is... really good?

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Edit: Wait what. Lucina makes so much sense to me now. Dash>Shield is bad because her walking speed is so good. Dash is for Foxtrot dancing spacing. @_@ Mop is... really good?
Her walking speed, as well as Marth's are the fastest in the game. It's good to have that perk since we have all of our options available from a walk.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Yeah, I was just surprised at how good their mock dash dancing is. In such a grab happy metagame... I feel like having that movement option to bait and get grabs is a huge plus.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Yes I need to practice a bit more. On another topic, I watched one of PewPewU's videos on Marth in Melee and I'm trying to see if Shield Stopping is something that could be used in Smash 4. I do use it with Pit all the time to good results, I just have to see if it works for Lucina.

Last edited:

KittenWarrior

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3196-3037-2182
Hey, I recently got a copy of Smash WiiU and have decided to get competitive. I have chosen my main to be Lucina, because of her speed and general play style. I am however, misguided on what I should be focusing on and what I should really do with her. If anybody can answer this question, than please help me with this problem.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey there @ KittenWarrior KittenWarrior ! First of all welcome to Smashboards! I moved your post here to the Lucina General + Question and Answer thread. Please utilize this thread whenever you have any gameplay questions regarding Lucina. Now unto answering your question. There are a lot of resources that we have in order to improve your Lucina gameplay. I recommend reading @ EternalFlame EternalFlame 's Blade of Two Fates. It's a great guide that covers a lot of concepts that you need to know if you want to be successful with Lucina. Additionally, I recommend reading Emblem Lord's Promotion to Great Lord guide. Finally, our Table of Contents that is pinned to the character board has a lot of other resources you can utilize.

acetuner

Smash Rookie
Playing Smash 4 made me realize that mind games are way too strong.

I want to play with honor, I don't want to do a darn puzzle in every fight.

Any tips?

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey there @ A acetuner . I moved your post here. As I have mentioned before, please utilize the Lucina General and Q/A thread whenever you have questions such as these. Every Smash game has utilized the function of reading your opponent, baiting, and exploiting their patterns to gain the advantage. In order to win in a competitive environment, you must utilize all the tools you have available at your disposal. Of course, these tools must be acceptable within the rule set that has been established by the community.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Done at the moment with the frame data stuff. That was awesome. I got to learn a lot of things of the character in terms of the programming side. How have you guys been? I've been playing Lucina a bit too much these past few days. Match-Up analysis, frame data stuff, concentration training, quite a long list. Also, let's see if I can go train tomorrow for Saturday's monthly here in Austin.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I'm still working towards my Wii U.

I want to get it as soon as possible because I found a scene about 20 minutes from my house and they're having a big Sm4sh tournament in April.

And I wanna get my hands used to a controller for Smash again.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I'm still working towards my Wii U.

I want to get it as soon as possible because I found a scene about 20 minutes from my house and they're having a big Sm4sh tournament in April.

And I wanna get my hands used to a controller for Smash again.
That sound awesome that there's a community close by. You can still go with your 3DS if you haven't been able to get your Wii U by that point, or use a GC controller if you have it.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
That sound awesome that there's a community close by. You can still go with your 3DS if you haven't been able to get your Wii U by that point, or use a GC controller if you have it.
My hands have naturally adapted better to the ergonomic design of a controller. Not saying the 3DS is bad, but considering my past experience in PSASBR, UMVC3, and Injustice, I play to my best when I have a controller in my hands. Plus there is always the possible issue of wireless lag(unless that's nonexistent in 3DS--->U controller connections).

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
My hands have naturally adapted better to the ergonomic design of a controller. Not saying the 3DS is bad, but considering my past experience in PSASBR, UMVC3, and Injustice, I play to my best when I have a controller in my hands. Plus there is always the possible issue of wireless lag(unless that's nonexistent in 3DS--->U controller connections).
I know what you mean. Also, I'm unsure if there has been some testing done for the controller types and finding out if there is input lag in any.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Whats the difference between iai counter and normal counter?

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Alright about time I posted here instead of hiding in the shadows.

I'm curious as to how you guys handle the ever-frustrating threat that is shields. It's no secret that our grab game is lacking and how frequently I find myself going for grabs because I get sick of having my attacks shielded is starting to make me really doubt my character on a whole new level and lose interest in Smash 4 as a result.

As a related question, how often do you fellow Lucinas use Shield Breaker? I've been avoiding it as much as possible because I feel it's too gimmicky and I don't want to make it a habit to rely on it. However after pondering the buff it received and Lucina's overall character design, I'm thinking maybe Sakurai was trying to make it our go-to answer to shielding.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Whats the difference between iai counter and normal counter?
Simple Answer:
The Iai Counter knocks opponents behind Lucina and is faster but does less damage.

Complex Answer:
Down Specials | Hitbox/State | Active Frames | Change On | Damage | Angle | KBG | WKB | BKB | Misc.
Counter | Counter window | 6-27 (22F)
Counter | 0, 1, 2, 3 (Hit) | 5-7 (3F) | - | 8% | 361° | 60 | 0 | 90 | Attribute: Slash, Hitlag: x1.2, Priority: Transcend
Easy Counter | Counter window | 6-34 (29F)
Easy Counter | 0, 1, 2, 3 (Hit) | 5-7 (3F) | - | 4% | 361° | 60 | 0 | 80 | Attribute: Slash, Hitlag: x1.2, Priority: Transcend
Iai Counter | Counter window | 3-16 (14F)
Iai Counter | 3 (Hit) | 11 (1F) | - | 6% | 140° | 65 | 0 | 90 | Attribute: Electric, Hitlag: x1.5, Priority: Transcend
Taken from the Lucina Frame Data Thread.

Alright about time I posted here instead of hiding in the shadows.

I'm curious as to how you guys handle the ever-frustrating threat that is shields. It's no secret that our grab game is lacking and how frequently I find myself going for grabs because I get sick of having my attacks shielded is starting to make me really doubt my character on a whole new level and lose interest in Smash 4 as a result.

As a related question, how often do you fellow Lucinas use Shield Breaker? I've been avoiding it as much as possible because I feel it's too gimmicky and I don't want to make it a habit to rely on it. However after pondering the buff it received and Lucina's overall character design, I'm thinking maybe Sakurai was trying to make it our go-to answer to shielding.
Welcome! It's always great to have people introduce themselves on the Lucina character board! Anyways, to answer your question, I use Shield Breaker frequently but not necessarily in attempts to break shields, usually to cover different options. For example, let's say if I use a F-air and I miss but I see my opponent dashing towards me. A shield breaker will more likely than not hit or trade with the opponents attack. I also b-reverse the move to create mix-up situations when either landing or feigning a retreat. Also, Lucina's grabs, while they don't lead to combos after 15% or so, are always good to utilize. You can also follow up to a down-throw if you bait your opponent to air dodge and then use U-air. There are a lot of scenarios I could go through.

Last edited:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Welcome! It's always great to have people introduce themselves on the Lucina character board! Anyways, to answer your question, I use Shield Breaker frequently but not necessarily in attempts to break shields, usually to cover different options. For example, let's say if I use a F-air and I miss but I see my opponent dashing towards me. A shield breaker will more likely than not hit or trade with the opponents attack. I also b-reverse the move to create mix-up situations when either landing or feigning a retreat. Also, Lucina's grabs, while they don't lead to combos after 15% or so, are always good to utilize. You can also follow up to a down-throw if you bait your opponent to air dodge and then use U-air. There are a lot of scenarios I could go through.
I wouldn't say I really "introduced" myself haha, that would require effort!

Hmm you've given me some ideas as far as Shield Breaker goes. Up to now I've only really used it as a punish when I know I can't get in smash or Dancing Blade range fast enough.

I do need to work on baiting airdodges. I'm not really used to them as a concept. Back in Brawl I thought they were useless (which I now know is hilariously incorrect), then I moved to PM were they actually are pretty close to useless. Someitmes I try to condition my opponent into expecting Fair followups out of a Fthrow and then running after them and using Usmash after they airdodge, but that's about it. Guess I just gotta be more creative and patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom