• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parallel Falchion - Lucina General and Q/A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer

Welcome all to the Lucina General Thread. In this thread we will focus on discussing the character Lucina and what revolves around her in the 3DS/Wii U games of Super Smash Bros. Additionally, if you have any questions regarding Lucina's game-play feel free to ask in this thread and our fellow Lucina players will help you out! Also, thanks @ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A for the thread image!

Guidelines:
  • As with the rest of Smashboards this thread follows the Smashboards Global Rules. Please refer to them prior to posting for the first time.
  • Keep Fan-Art to a bare minimum. Preferably, spoiler tag it. Multiple posts regarding fan-art can become excessive and can be considered as spam. If fan-art is utilized, please add some context, or make it relevant to the discussion.
  • Favorite character pairings/relationships or anything that may derail the thread from its intended purpose is not advised. There is a Fire Emblem Social Group created by @ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A that engages in that type of conversation. Please use that group for those sort of discussions.
Lucina's background (Potential Spoilers):
From the Fire Emblem Wiki: Lucina is the daughter of Chrom from the future and has the mark of Naga, known as the Brand of the Exalt, on her left eye. She is a kind and determined princess with a strong sense of justice, who believes that saving the world is her mission. She loves her father dearly and is always worrying over him. Her sword, the Parallel Falchion, was originally thought to be a separate weapon from Chrom's Falchion, but was later revealed to be a version of the same weapon brought back from the future.
If you are looking for the Differences Between Lucina and Marth there is a thread that indicates this pinned to the Lucina Character Board. Click Here to access it from this thread.

And so it begins. A new thread, a new home. Let's begin the Discussion!

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Ah, perfect, although I'd make the OP a little more flair-y than that. I'll work on something and see if you like it.

Hopefully this will eventually change the general perspective of the board.

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
Yay, new thread!

This also reminds me that I need to play as Lucina more, though honestly, I'm starting to go back to Marth again. I adore Lucina and prefer her character since I've actually played her game, plus her alts are superior, but something about Marth just clicks with me.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
flair.jpg

Much better. I'd stick this as the OP image; much more appealing for newcomers imo.

where's my credit for that locuan

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Oh, I like it. Thank you @ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A !
This also reminds me that I need to play as Lucina more, though honestly, I'm starting to go back to Marth again...
I play both! It's fun for me. Plus, I like to verify if for some reason there might be some differences between them. For example, on Thursday I tested out if there where any differences between the momentum carried over on Marth and Lucina's perfect pivot's as the original video that came out indicated. There aren't any. We basically concluded that the momentum carried over from their perfect pivots are the same. In other words, that video that appeared on the front page of Smashboards must have had some errors made during their own respective testing. Things like these are incredibly fun for me.

Of course, I like playing competitively too. I switch between both from time to time in sets. Some days, I play Lucina exclusively. During other days, I play Marth sets with some Lucina here and there. I have been able to get great Shiek players to their final stocks with Lucina. I still have a long way to go though. A lot of training, practice and testing.

EDIT: I forgot the @ on your name on the OP sorry for that @ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A D:

Last edited:

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Going to be giving Lucina a lot of time in pools for Kumite next month. Providing I don't drown in them I'm def going to give her some Bracket time too.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
That's great @ Saki- Saki- ! Do you know if it will be recorded or streamed? It would be great to watch you play. How big is the turnout for Kumite normally?

Last edited:

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Hoping for some stream time since VGBC will be there. As far as turnout goes I'm not sure...but with such a large guaranteed pot bonus Id "hope" it'd be regional sized. The other fighting games hosted there are going to be huge though

Edit: Currently at 38 Pre Reg'd, though with Mew2King being the latest competitor to join I'd only hope that others will take advantage of some vital exp and join up for the shot of playing against such a top tier player.

Last edited:

Sir_Africa

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, so I'm just starting to get into Smash 4. And I'm more used to Melee/Project M. I'm so used to L Cancelling and having very safe fairs and nairs with Marth. In this game, I'm not quite sure how to approach my opponent, and I have no clue what my safer options really are. Any advice would be great, thank you.

CommanderPepper

Smash Cadet
NNID
CommanderPepper
3DS FC
5455-9558-8826
Well aerials aren't safe in this game so just don't jump. Stay on the ground and harass your opponent with grabs and jabs. Get them scared and then throw out a f smash to catch a roll.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey guys, so I'm just starting to get into Smash 4. And I'm more used to Melee/Project M. I'm so used to L Cancelling and having very safe fairs and nairs with Marth. In this game, I'm not quite sure how to approach my opponent, and I have no clue what my safer options really are. Any advice would be great, thank you.
Hey there! First of all, I moved your thread to our Lucina General and Q/A Thread. We use this thread pretty much as what the thread title implies! Anyways, unto answering your question. @Emblem Lord has a great thread over at the Marth Boards that addresses many topics, many apply to Lucina. He covers the neutral game too. I recommend going over the thread since he explains it incredibly well. However, in a more general sense:
Emblem Lord said:
Main neutral game tools are D-tilt, f-tilt, jab, Nair, Fair(yes, it's still good just no longer an all purpose tool) and Dancing Blade. D-tilt has solid range, speed and damage...
@ EternalFlame EternalFlame also has a great guide that goes into incredible detail on many aspects of Marth/Lucina game-play. I also recommend giving this guide a read. It will help you understand the character and how Marth's game-play transfers into Smash 4.

@ Saki- Saki- I look forward to hearing how you performed in the tournament!

Last edited:

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
So, after F-air, Lucina has time to either do a Side B or Shield Breaker.

I'm curious as to how many people here actually use this, I feel like it'd be a decent way to counter a punish and/or extend your pressure (shield breaker).

You can also B reversal if they get behind you!

Note: F-air out of short-hop.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
@ CommanderRin CommanderRin both are good options. I tend to use Shield Breaker after the F-air if I see my opponent rushing in trying to punish me. You can also use DB and if it connects go for the full DB combo. In the neutral game, that small window where your Fair animation ended, you can Fast Fall it to get to the ground quicker without landing lag. You can use this for "faster" spacing while using Fair. That's how I visualize it at least. This is something I started implementing around 2 weeks ago. There are quite a few good options to use after performing SH Fair.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
I leave SmashBoards for a few days and almost get a heart attack (jk) when I noticed the Lucina board was closed.

Glad to know a new one has risen. Also, new like-bomb deployed :smirk:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
That shield break was intense. Good read by the way. I'm also loving the Metroid Prime Hunters theme you got going on.
Also, new like-bomb deployed :smirk:
Those never fail do they. Every time I see 10+ notifications I instantly assume it's you :laugh:

By the way, have you guys been implementing perfect pivots into your game-play?

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
I'd really like to try and practice perfect pivots but I'm kinda stuck until I get a GameCube adaptor.

Also if you guys want to see some b reversal in action there was a guy with the name of Tanman who did a pretty good job of implementing it into his game play.

Edit: sauce

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Ah, I got my gamecube adapter at just the right time. I was a bit lucky there. I hope you can get yours soon! Do you have any videos of Tanman's gameplay? I'm sure it will help some of us out.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Just fixed the post to link to one of his games at a S@X event. I need to use my next off day to look for some Lucina videos so I can share em.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Never change, Lucina boards :smirk:
Did you give one to the other Lucina social thread?
Ah, I got my gamecube adapter at just the right time. I was a bit lucky there. I hope you can get yours soon! Do you have any videos of Tanman's gameplay? I'm sure it will help some of us out.
I got mine day one!

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
That shield break was intense. Good read by the way. I'm also loving the Metroid Prime Hunters theme you got going on.

By the way, have you guys been implementing perfect pivots into your game-play?
SB'ing aggressively has helped me when trying to kill an opponent. Eventually, they slip up and either get broken(and shamelessly taunted) and then killed, or just get heavily damaged if not outright killed by the raw power of an unblocked Shield Breaker.

I've had that skin for months on my 3DS. It's actually starting to wear. :p

I've tried PP'ing on AI's; so far I see it as an interesting tool, but it's accurate use cannot be tested on an AI.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
How does the differences on Marth & Lucina's sword mechanics affect their gameplay? Does Lucina play differently because of her lack of tipper hitbox, or does she play similarly to Marth?

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
How does the differences on Marth & Lucina's sword mechanics affect their gameplay? Does Lucina play differently because of her lack of tipper hitbox, or does she play similarly to Marth?
They can be played similarly, but the lack of tippers allows Lucina to have a greater margin of error at the cost of power.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Happy Holidays everyone! May the Parallel Falchion guide you through your toughest matches. I'm playing a lot of Smash 4 and building my Amiibo collection during the following two days. How about all of you? Also, did they announce the Lucina Amiibo already? I need it.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Happy Holidays everyone! May the Parallel Falchion guide you through your toughest matches. I'm playing a lot of Smash 4 and building my Amiibo collection during the following two days. How about all of you? Also, did they announce the Lucina Amiibo already? I need it.
I just got Marth-one last week, and nope. Also, didn't expect this thread to renew into what I think is bit better form than before.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Happy Holidays to the boards! Spend some time enjoying your day/night and prep up for the new year~

I've got.......Kumite, a Local, Apex and if money is looking good enough, a Monthly a Georgia as well for January. Goals will surely be to get some time in with players of higher calibur than my own to gain some Matchup Data and apply it here to the boards. What works vs what doesn't with what tools are best etc. Though will go ahead and say the most likely bit of info I can bring to the table will be
Lucina vs Donkey Kong
Lucina vs Dr. Mario
Lucina vs Rosalina
I know for sure I can get the people who play those character to sit down with me for a good while while we share data.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I'm also heading to APEX @ Saki- Saki- . We should see if we can meet up and exchange notes prior to the tournament. Also, feel free to add that information to the Match-up thread at any point if you feel like doing so! It will surely help us out. I won't be competing at APEX, at least for now I'm only going to be a spectator, but I will play a lot of friendlies when and if I can. I would also be fresh off from the Winter Clash tournament in Puerto Rico so I hope I'll have some reliable information for you!

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
That's the plan! It makes me feel pretty bad that I can't contribute to it now since I reaallly want to but lack any real knowledge to currently contribute with haha.

And awesome, I'd love to sit down and compare some notes. Planning on making Apex really big, not just on being a participant but on making a bigger step into the community by getting to know smashers there. Also, good luck at Winter Clash!

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Happy holidays, fate changers.

Hopefully I'll change my fate and join you all on the Wii U soon :)

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Hi friends, this is now a thing again.
http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/acces...ros-and-a-nintendo-gamecube-controller/119589

If you share the same issue I do and lack a gamecube adaptor and want to get the whole deal then here it is! I gotta wait till payday and part of me is telling me to wait a couple of days to see if they just bring back the adapter itself. But I'd be safe than sorry if you're scared it may disappear again.

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
I am really liking :4lucina:! I really want to main her but, i need some tips... Thanks!

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
In brief:

- Perfect your use of Shield Breaker and Dancing Blade, they will prove invaluable in due time
- Counter wisely but don't be afraid to use it when you need to
- Work on spacing, even without the tipper mechanic
- Don't be afraid to literally run away when the going gets tough, as Lucina is incredibly fast and it can often do to get you out of a tight spot

Otherwise, just keep practicing and learn what tactics work best for you. Play often and always strive to improve.

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
In brief:

- Perfect your use of Shield Breaker and Dancing Blade, they will prove invaluable in due time
- Counter wisely but don't be afraid to use it when you need to
- Work on spacing, even without the tipper mechanic
- Don't be afraid to literally run away when the going gets tough, as Lucina is incredibly fast and it can often do to get you out of a tight spot

Otherwise, just keep practicing and learn what tactics work best for you. Play often and always strive to improve.
Thank you! :D

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey @ Stoven Stoven ! First of all, welcome to Smashboards! I moved your thread here to the Lucina General and Q/A thread. This threads purpose is to talk about Lucina in Smash and Smash in general, while also functioning as our question and answer thread. For questions such as yours, please use this thread if you need to ask them and someone will be able to help you out. Just like @ Wintropy Wintropy did!

Anyways, to answer your question Stoven, a great place you can get tips on how to improve your Lucina gameplay is by reading @ EternalFlame EternalFlame 's guide. Click Here to access it. It's a great resource with a lot of information! It will help you out tremendously.

@ Saki- Saki- if you don't have the game for Wii U then it's a great deal. If not it is kind off expensive in my opinion.

Last edited:

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Much appreciated Locuan xD and to stress again, please do not hesitate to ask questions to any one of us if you've got something specific in mind. We're all striving to get better, so any help we can give to one another is always appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom