• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
='/ Oof! I can finally post on Smashboards. Has anyone else been having that weird problem where Smashboards just went out of existance for a few days?

And I heard about Vinnie!! I'm so proud of him! ='3c He did well in dubs, too! 7th I think?
And yeah, his match vs. Razer sadly wasn't on stream.

Vinnie

Smash Master
I beat razer in pools on friday 2-1 (gw gw ics). I lost in bracket 1-2 (ics ics gw). Game 3 the tv went off 3 or 4 times... it just sucked... sigh.. ggs though.

aatami

Smash Rookie
Could someone tell me the differences and benefits between A+X-Tilt and C-Stick, with G&w?
At least, in my experience, it is faster to use C.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
='/ Oof! I can finally post on Smashboards. Has anyone else been having that weird problem where Smashboards just went out of existance for a few days?
You're not alone, all yesterday Smashboards just wouldn't load.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
possibly. Here's the thing; I think that this is our worst match up. To say that we win with no lgl just can't be true

Alphicans

Smash Hero
possibly. Here's the thing; I think that this is our worst match up. To say that we win with no lgl just can't be true
Lol worst match-up? I think MK takes that title easily followed by marth and then IC's.

We wouldn't even need to catch the nanas, we could just drift out of the way and then regrab the ledge.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
metaknight is not our worst matchup. Marth isn't that bad. Ice climbers are second to Diddy IMO

Exdeath

Smash Master
I agree with the theory behind this. I just apparently suck at being aggressive. Last time I tried that in tournament against a ROB, it didn't work as planned probably because I just forgot what spacing and powershielding was. I beat the same ROB player by camping him with Mario (after catching the Gyro).

I think G&W's edgeguarding is probably the single worst problem in the game Kirby has. Just his recovery literally doesn't have options to get past G&W's edgeguarding. G&W also I believe edgeguards MK better than MK himself.

Also, G&W edgeguards Bowser better than Metaknight, although I will admit that's not really saying much. Bowser is just terrible and dies to everyone when he's off his feet.
When Meta Knight takes Kirby and Bowser off of the stage, they should rarely -- if ever -- come back. It's also very possible for Meta Knight to do this in the ditto. G&W might not be worse at edge guarding some characters, but I don't see him doing a better job if only because the characters that would have a harder time vs. G&W shouldn't return to the stage against either character.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
then show us your ways. Make a video guide or something :p

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I really don't get how you can say the MK match-up is easier than diddy and IC's. You do realize MK shuts down all approaches with... 2 moves? Not to mention all of his other moves beat our aerials anyways.

IC's is basically if you land a hit you get massive damage on one of the two climbers. If you kill nana and have a lead, then you don't even have to do work, just run away and wait for popo to either be an idiot and waste the clock or kill himself. BTW I am not saying we beat IC's, I am just saying we have options vs them, unlike MK.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
We do have options against MK it's just that you HAVE to out smart your opponent in order to get your options through

Also, are options vs. Icies are almost as limited at our options vs mk. If you b-air they can run in and shield grab it. If you try to platform camp their u-air beats everything we have including d-air. Plus, one mistake leads to the easiest chain grab ever.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Which is a pretty big issue lol.

You know it's a bad match-up when your only choice is to heavily outsmart them in order to get in. I could honestly say that about any match-up and say it's not that bad. What's your point?

And personally, I don't even think MK gives us the opportunities to outsmart him.

We can upB IC's uair, and get them above us. I personally find MK, GaW and jiggs the hardest to cg.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful
I'm kind of with Gimr. ='/ Unless someone can sit down and explain the Diddy Kong MU, I think it's harder than MK matchup. MK isn't even that hard.. I say it's just a Disadvantage (40:60 MK favor) if you ask me. But I think Diddy Kong is a Solid Disadvantage (35:65 Diddy's Favor). I think aggro Diddies are a lot easier to deal with, but campy Diddy is extremely hard to deal with. GnW has an extremely difficult time approaching and has to find ways to land safely (because the land isn't that safe to begin with). All campy Diddy has to do is stay back with Bananas. I've played AZ and then I've played other great Diddies. And AZ is way more aggro and easier to handle, but when the matchup is played how it should be played (camping GnW) it becomes noticeably difficult.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Except that when diddy camps you, you can camp him right back. Catching items isn't that hard guys.... Do you guys only play against aggro MK's?

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Except that when diddy camps you, you can camp him right back. Catching items isn't that hard guys.... Do you guys only play against aggro MK's?
Diddy has a wall that is nearly impossible for us to get through. Once he get's the life lead we must approach

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
But MK's wall is about mind games where as Diddy's wall is about reaction

If you jump in on Mk and you b-air it beats his f-tilt but not his up-B

If you jump in and air dodge correctly it will beat his up-B but not his f-tilt

It's rock paper scissors.

Diddy Kong can sit in shield and react to what you do with your approach thus he should win almost every time

get it?

Rizen

Smash Legend
What's 'lgl'?
Diddy has a wall that is nearly impossible for us to get through. Once he get's the life lead we must approach
My limited experience makes me agree that Diddy's harder than MK because that^. Bananas pierce standard attacks, aren't energy and disappear after a short time letting Diddy maintain control. G&W's dash attack isn't good for catching items either.
Link is better for fighting Diddy and that says a lot. That's my noob 2 cents.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Diddy Kong can sit in shield and react to what you do with your approach thus he should win almost every time

get it?
This is not true, thought it seems like it.

It is not a Diddy Kong matchup, it is a banana matchup. If you cannot control bananas well you will just flop over and die to good Diddys. Play with bananas a lot, turn them on low/medium during normal games or whatever. Just DO IT and get better with bananas.

This is what I did and it help so much with the banana matchup. I feel extremely comfortable playing against any Diddy. I don't fear bananas in the slightest; I have just as much control of them as my opponent.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful

get it?
Qft! I definitely feel yah on this.
What's 'lgl'?
Ledge grab limit.

And even though banana control helps a lot, Diddy Kong is still a wall that's hard to get through. Not only that, Diddy controls bananas better than anyone. And even if Game and Watch has a good banana control, when bananas are effectively used against him he doesn't exactly do well getting back on his two feet. He has poor trip animation. And now with the easier Banana Lock, GnW is the 2nd easiest character to do it on because of his trip animation (MK being first). So one wrong mistake and it's downhill from there.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
@Zac, could you give me some examples of good things you do with the bananas? I already have a lot of ideas but if you tell me some things that work really well it would be greatly appreaciated

Alphicans

Smash Hero

get it?
MK can react to both of those situations, and ftilt does beat bair wtf are you talking about? What can diddy do if you just jump into him (no dodge) while he holds a banana? He can throw it at you. Now you can catch it and insta throw it back. Easy.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
@Zac, could you give me some examples of good things you do with the bananas? I already have a lot of ideas but if you tell me some things that work really well it would be greatly appreaciated
  • Learn to pick up a banana by standing next to it and pressing A.
  • Learn to pick up a banana by running at it and using dash attack.
  • Learn to pick up a banana by running at it and short-hop aerial.
  • Learn to pick up a banana by running at it, jumping, then airdodging to pick it up.
  • Learn to pick up a banana by falling on it with an air-dodge.
  • Learn to pick up a banana by using UpB nearby, buffering a nair, then picking up the banana with a second nair before you hit the ground.
  • Learn to catch a banana that is thrown at you with airdodge or Z.
  • Learn to catch a banana that you've thrown and it bounced off Diddy's shield. Also learn when not to do this (diddy's anticipate it).
  • Learn to catch a banana and instant throw it back (Air-dodge instant throw).
  • Learn to catch a banana that Diddy has thrown straight up at you without getting hit.
  • Learn to z-drop bananas and follow up with an aerial.
  • Learn to glide-toss bananas. Learn when not to glide-toss bananas (Diddy's can punish if they know you are coming)
  • Learn to follow up glide-tossed bananas, usually with a smash (usually fsmash) or judgment.
  • Learn to rush down Diddy when only one or less bananas are in play.
  • Learn how to space yourself while Diddy has two bananas out so that you can pressure him when one disappears.

Practice these things over and over and over until you feel confident you can do them all easily. Some of them I still struggle with, but since I now have so many options about how to control bananas, I'm never at a disadvantage.

Standard gameplay against Diddy Kong should consist of you playing hyper active while you have a banana and very spacious when you don't.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Any discussion?
could you rephrase it?

@Zac: I know most of it, but a lot of it I need to practice. Thanks for the tips. I'll make sure and absorb as much of it as possible.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Ah and I left out a key part. When I said play "hyper active" I meant to prioritize all of those key tips I gave you over trying to do normal things (like use aerials for pressure). Your goal is to just go crazy with all these banana tricks, that way you can maintain control and avoid Diddy trying to predict your actions.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
@Zac: ok ill do that

@Alphicians: you should be over to jump over the f-tilt with your B-air

Top Bottom