• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Lol i'm some **** now

I played very few matches last week and my everything is off i didnt think i'd be so rusty until i realized that when i left for basic i hadn't played for only like 2-3 months

it's been like 4 months since i played and im so bad

when i get to Arizona though i'll be able to get back in form

anyone know what the tucson scene is like?

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
You're coming to Arizona? Awesome, when are you coming?

Sorry, I've only been to a few tournaments, I don't really know who's from where, but I know there are some Tucson smashers.

We're going to start doing weekly brawls at this place in Mesa, where I live, every Saturday. I'm pretty sure most of the AZ smash scene will come, but we've just only recently talked about it, so I'm not totaly sure.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
OMFG!!!

K I just killed a mario from the bottom of battlefield at 45% (died at 66) off the top with a regular sweetspot downsmash. Can someone explain this!?!?!?!

Exdeath

Smash Master
OMFG!!!

K I just killed a mario from the bottom of battlefield at 45% (died at 66) off the top with a regular sweetspot downsmash. Can someone explain this!?!?!?!
SDI+DI/Double-Stick DI Upward would certainly do the trick.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
did you save the replay? Only then could I even begin to try to figure it out

izzy24

Smash Ace
hahahaha hey guys sorry ive 8een gone, pretty much what happened was i quit 8rawl around the middle of last year and so i went to that tournament just to hang out with friends (i go to to school with some of those guys: chaz, nickriddle, sei8rik) and i just decided to enter just to see how i would do and then that happened XXXXD oh and i left cause i had a 8i8le study at that time so i just dropped out early.

So in the end, just quit 8rawl for like 8 months=start 8eating good???????? ppl lol j/k

also whats up everyone :::: )

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
You're coming to Arizona? Awesome, when are you coming?

Sorry, I've only been to a few tournaments, I don't really know who's from where, but I know there are some Tucson smashers.

We're going to start doing weekly brawls at this place in Mesa, where I live, every Saturday. I'm pretty sure most of the AZ smash scene will come, but we've just only recently talked about it, so I'm not totaly sure.
Coming from Texas April 20th

I'm kinda sad i really wanted to go to a Dallas tourney or something like phase X. I know there's an awesome scene in texas and i didnt even get to experience it.

It whatever though

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Why does GaW get so boring so quickly to play? When I picked him up he was awesome... Now it's just w/e.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Eh, I don't know what it is about GaW.

Maybe it's because I have an affinity for most mid-to-low tier characters. GaW doesn't quite have that same feel as a lot of them.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I dunno, G&W in my opinion is really fun because he's actually much more versatile than people realize. He can play both offensively and defensively pretty well, and he gets great reward on reads.

Also, edgeguarding with G&W is always very satisfying. In some matchups, I think his edgeguarding is more effective than Metaknight's.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
hahahaha hey guys sorry ive 8een gone, pretty much what happened was i quit 8rawl around the middle of last year and so i went to that tournament just to hang out with friends (i go to to school with some of those guys: chaz, nickriddle, sei8rik) and i just decided to enter just to see how i would do and then that happened XXXXD oh and i left cause i had a 8i8le study at that time so i just dropped out early.

So in the end, just quit 8rawl for like 8 months=start 8eating good???????? ppl lol j/k

also whats up everyone :::: )
Tight. Could you perhaps explain how you played the match up?

izzy24

Smash Ace
all i remem8er doing was pl8ying really safe, tried not to get hit with her dsmash (i think i got hit like 4 times the whole set lol) and just getting those early kills (killed her on SV platform with a dsmash at either 67 or 77 i forgot lol!!!!!!!!)

Rizen

Smash Legend
Maybe it's because I have an affinity for most mid-to-low tier characters. GaW doesn't quite have that same feel as a lot of them.
^I get this feeling.
Also, edgeguarding with G&W is always very satisfying. In some matchups, I think his edgeguarding is more effective than Metaknight's.
Which ones?

______
I realized I don't buffer Fairs 'instinctively' OoS because I always use 'C' for directional air attacks (and bomb throws for Link). So I need to start treating G&W's OoS more like ledge hop Fairs. Jump>'A'+forward, not 'C' in that direction.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
oh my goodness. It's so satisfying edge guarding ROB. I haven't lost one set against ROB since I picked GW back up

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
I used to also, here's the secret: Go POSTAL.

be the most aggressive you've ever been in your life.

Also, when he grabs the ledge, do not let him grab it multiple times in a row. You know he's gonna try and camp you so hit him for doing it

also, since he has huge hit/hurtboxes attack where he's going to attack and you'll beat him. So basically don't aim for him. Aim where is arms would be if he tried to attack you

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
I play a Pikachu player a lot, and I like just grabbing the ledge, and either Bair-ing, or Nair-ing his upB when he tries to recover. It's not too hard too predict his recovery.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I used to also, here's the secret: Go POSTAL.

be the most aggressive you've ever been in your life.

Also, when he grabs the ledge, do not let him grab it multiple times in a row. You know he's gonna try and camp you so hit him for doing it

also, since he has huge hit/hurtboxes attack where he's going to attack and you'll beat him. So basically don't aim for him. Aim where is arms would be if he tried to attack you
I agree with the theory behind this. I just apparently suck at being aggressive. Last time I tried that in tournament against a ROB, it didn't work as planned probably because I just forgot what spacing and powershielding was. I beat the same ROB player by camping him with Mario (after catching the Gyro).

I think G&W's edgeguarding is probably the single worst problem in the game Kirby has. Just his recovery literally doesn't have options to get past G&W's edgeguarding. G&W also I believe edgeguards MK better than MK himself.

Also, G&W edgeguards Bowser better than Metaknight, although I will admit that's not really saying much. Bowser is just terrible and dies to everyone when he's off his feet.

Splice

Smash Hero
I dont understand people who say they find GaW can be boring.
He has such an addictive playstyle. I've actually tried to pick up other characters and stick with them for fun but everyones so boring except for GaW. MK is the only char I enjoy playing nearly as much as GaW. And Random, coz its always fun to win with Random. ... :p

But seriously, GaWs speed and ability to tech-chase with SH airials for big damage is just so great, and his UpB is such an amazing tool, as well as his above-average ability in all situations except perhaps some ground situations but even then. So good.

And you guys really think ZSS vs GaW dat hard?

I still think its 55:45 our favour, even because we can gimp and even though its tough spacing, if you play around the safe range, as in, aggressively campy/space them, we can pressure ZSS quite hard, and unlike GaW her tools for getting out of pressure are poor. Her airials are quite **** and can match ours, and beat ours sometimes, but I believe we have a better juggle game still which is harder to avoid. The thing that tips it in our favour the little bit is how early we kill her and how hard it is for her to kill us.

With Dsmash I find it easy to avoid as long as I actively expect and consider that situation. You can stay out of that trouble if you dont get greedy, you cant bait ZSS into better situations for getting damage/KO's

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
It's hard to say. ZSS on paper is a really awful character. But then again I can't say I understand how to win against her consistently.

I think ZSS kills people really easily when they make a mistake. Not exactly but sorta like how Snake kills people. Like on paper, ZSS really has trouble opening up solid defenses, but when it happens, it gets ugly.

Splice

Smash Hero
Well if you give her space and let her have too much control that is bad.
She can definitely pressure us but I think we have good tools for not letting that happen. You gotta be consistent I guess. She cant get into a really defendable position if you keep her pressured rather than risk losing it.

Of course I've never played Nick Riddle, but I think ZSS is pretty easy if you play it right. It is hella easy not to play it right but when I do it feels comfortable :3

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
ZSS on paper is really, really trash. Once you add the mindgames in though, it gets really, really scary. I think ZSS is a character where you aren't so much playing against ZSS as you are against the player. Sure you know the character, but unless you know how to play against the person playing ZSS, you'll have problems. She isn't really all that predictable.

Splice

Smash Hero
Doesnt that apply to all MUs? You're always primarily playing against the player until it's like 70:30...
If you mindgame better than it's scary for ZSS... I dont think those are the most legit points :p

But yeah defs a character with a lot of options, hard to predict.

But I play ZSS players from other states and I can see how GaW can do well, I play my local ZSS who knows me well and I can see how ZSS can break GaW down sometimes, but in the end what I see and what I know of the MU tells me it's in our favour. Everyones experiences may vary though haha

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
imo it's perfectly even. The smarter player is usually the one who wins the MU.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt, of course. There are no ZSS mains in Canada.

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
G&W is fun because he's so stupid to play. Just mix in that broken **** like dair and the cstick with legit stuff like fullhopped aerials and dtilt, then get the first kill and you can trololol your way to victory.

Splice

Smash Hero
G&W is fun because he's so stupid to play. Just mix in that broken **** like dair and the cstick with legit stuff like fullhopped aerials and dtilt, then get the first kill and you can trololol your way to victory.
It's so true. highlights for emphasis.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Broken, that he is. His great movement and absurd power make G&W very fun. Why isn't he an 'A' tier? Everyone above him is more broken, lol?

Top Bottom