• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

Heartstring

Smash Legend
if you try and play ike using solely jab, nair, fair and bair hes the msot boring thing in existence. it becomes fun when you punish a roll with a usmash or an airdodge with uair or something like that

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I play Ike like that. He's not a serious character but I still sandbag and goof off with him. He's a lot of fun.

@ the ROB comment: I don't think he's particularly hard but i'm pretty sure there's more to it than just spamming nair. Rob's pretty good at keeping you out of his space, from what I've experienced.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
if hes doing his correctly then yeah, he does have a nice lack of multi-hit moves though. if you use dashshielding effectively youll be getting into him easier than you would if you tried to get in aerially. if i was a G&W vs. rob id probably actually uthrow to make sure he gets in the air. youll be tacking on a ton of damage before he can land again

Heartstring

Smash Legend
okay, im not great at critique but ill give it a shot

early on he's going so aggro. do not be afraid to shield against rob, your shield is good. his grab range is mediocre while his tilts are rediculous. when rob is going super aggro on you be sure to avoid attacks. hes pretty streamlined so 50% of the time you can tell when hes going to follow up or not. simply airdodge of up-b when in the air, shield when on the ground (only if hes walking though, if hes dashing hes gonna try to grab typically)

without sounding too mean: for the love of god learn the range of your dtilt. i saw you use it so many times when you were out of range. trying to beat rob in a game of ground footsies is stupid unless your name is snake. if youre out of range then dont even bother trying to dtilt, hes just going to smack you in the 2-dimentional jaw
if hes getting happy with the dsmash dont be afraid to shield it, it has no shield damage (almost) and it can be punished from shield by a OOS fair. worth it all the way.
if he takes the gyro offstage when edgeguarding expect him to throw it at you. be ready to airdodge it
his n-air and b-air have stupid hitboxes. dont try to compete with them, especially with G&W horrible weight
dont be afraid to take the offensive, an aggro G&W is what makes is a bad MU for rob (yes, its your favour) because of G&W's good sheild presure and juggle game matched up against robs blind spot in the air and his tiny shield. feel free to bair his shield. he cant do anything more than 10% the punish, and its more likely than not that its going to bring his shield to almost nothing and/or hit him into the air. going defensive agaisnt rob-particularly if you havent got a decent projectile-is a terrible idea, he doesnt like pressure and he doesnt have any true GTFO moves. this last point is by far the most important
your G&W is pretty good. its one that covers the majority of the cast in terms of matchups. but rob isnt one of them for G&W

sambo400

Smash Apprentice
i dont agree with that, some charachters are inherently halarious, like gameandwatch,lucas and ike, some charachters are fun if u play them epically like marth, some chars are gay no matter how good u are with them, "ddd,olimar,ic" i also refuse to play any char with an annoying looking face "diddy, link"
I agree with this, but I cant stand the earthbound children. Toon links face is 100x more annoying than links imo, it might be the dumbest thing in the game.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
okay, im not great at critique but ill give it a shot

early on he's going so aggro. do not be afraid to shield against rob, your shield is good. his grab range is mediocre while his tilts are rediculous. when rob is going super aggro on you be sure to avoid attacks. hes pretty streamlined so 50% of the time you can tell when hes going to follow up or not. simply airdodge of up-b when in the air, shield when on the ground (only if hes walking though, if hes dashing hes gonna try to grab typically)

without sounding too mean: for the love of god learn the range of your dtilt. i saw you use it so many times when you were out of range. trying to beat rob in a game of ground footsies is stupid unless your name is snake. if youre out of range then dont even bother trying to dtilt, hes just going to smack you in the 2-dimentional jaw
if hes getting happy with the dsmash dont be afraid to shield it, it has no shield damage (almost) and it can be punished from shield by a OOS fair. worth it all the way.
if he takes the gyro offstage when edgeguarding expect him to throw it at you. be ready to airdodge it
his n-air and b-air have stupid hitboxes. dont try to compete with them, especially with G&W horrible weight
dont be afraid to take the offensive, an aggro G&W is what makes is a bad MU for rob (yes, its your favour) because of G&W's good sheild presure and juggle game matched up against robs blind spot in the air and his tiny shield. feel free to bair his shield. he cant do anything more than 10% the punish, and its more likely than not that its going to bring his shield to almost nothing and/or hit him into the air. going defensive agaisnt rob-particularly if you havent got a decent projectile-is a terrible idea, he doesnt like pressure and he doesnt have any true GTFO moves. this last point is by far the most important
your G&W is pretty good. its one that covers the majority of the cast in terms of matchups. but rob isnt one of them for G&W
I'm being too defensive then, basically...

Alright, Thanks. It was my first time playing him/ROB (I played a decent one of Wifi years ago but that's about it) I knew it was in our favor I just didn't know what to do. That and I also made some stupid decisions. But a few smart ones so I guess it evens out...

Edit: I reviewed the vid looking for the stuff you were talking about and I see what you mean about Dtilt, I usually use it for punishing bad dashes and stuff but it's not as useful against ROB I guess. On the last stock, I was going for the Hail Mary Bucket that's why I stopped attacking and Started playign around in his mid range. I just killed myself before I got to refresh it =/

PixlFayc

Smash Apprentice
I agree with this, but I cant stand the earthbound children. Toon links face is 100x more annoying than links imo, it might be the dumbest thing in the game.
haha yeah toonlink looks like link on mushrooms, but i love lucas even though he looks like a bit of a dappy little sod, hes got heart!!

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
sigh, now I need a new secondary for Marth and the likes. Is Olimar fun to play?
Olimar isn't nearly as boring as he seems at mid- to high-levels of play. We're just one of the most hated characters for some reason.
You can't just power through other moves and he gets punished really hard if they get in, so you have to actively think about more than you would with other characters. It feels so good to get off a hot, juicy combo or get them in the air for a good old-fashioned chase-down, though.

Marth is one of our bad match-ups, though. I wouldn't pick him up just for that.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
^That was a cool combo :)
I hate Olimar because his moves are pretty fast, powerful and you can't even see them 90% the time. Also he is mostly about throwing stuff and then pivotgrabbing you if you do something. Not my favorite character design. But our only Olimar player quit after MK was banned so no more Olimar, thank god.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I went Bowser VS Olimar at my most recent tourney. When everybody was like: OMG WTF SMILEY WHAT ARE YOU DOING?? WHY WOULD YOU PICK HIM?!

I just went: Because I'm a boss.

Lost though. But I used 10 characters lmao

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I went Bowser VS Olimar at my most recent tourney. When everybody was like: OMG WTF SMILEY WHAT ARE YOU DOING?? WHY WOULD YOU PICK HIM?!

I just went: Because I'm a boss.

Lost though. But I used 10 characters lmao
i like you, please allow me to buy you a pint

sambo400

Smash Apprentice
^That was a cool combo :)
I hate Olimar because his moves are pretty fast, powerful and you can't even see them 90% the time. Also he is mostly about throwing stuff and then pivotgrabbing you if you do something. Not my favorite character design. But our only Olimar player quit after MK was banned so no more Olimar, thank god.
The smaller your TV, the better your Olimar.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
The smaller your TV, the better your Olimar.
New Unity Ruleset Rule - Standardization of television sizes to promote fair play against Olimar players
Response - MAKING RULES TO NERF A CHARACTER, BAN HIM! X3

[collapse= Olimar Rant]
  • Running speed is crap. He's a tiny bit faster than Ike, IIRC.
  • Third-floatiest character, which negatively affects his ability to momentum cancel and get grounded
  • 8th worst horizontal air speed (aerial mobility)
  • Terrible rolls/techrolls
  • Smashes and non-Nair aerials have no priority (if you define it in terms of clanking rather than range; he almost never clanks due to the unique nature of his attacks)
  • Cooldown on most of his moves leaves room for punishment
  • Crap recovery
  • Below-average jump height
  • Relatively slow grab with no grab armor
  • Generally takes a while to learn
  • No knockback on his projectile most of the time
[/collapse]

Yeah, NVM, Olimar's garbage. Don't use that guy.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
New Unity Ruleset Rule - Standardization of television sizes to promote fair play against Olimar players
Response - MAKING RULES TO NERF A CHARACTER, BAN HIM! X3

[collapse= Olimar Rant]
  • Running speed is crap. He's a tiny bit faster than Ike, IIRC.
  • Third-floatiest character, which negatively affects his ability to momentum cancel and get grounded
  • 8th worst horizontal air speed (aerial mobility)
  • Terrible rolls/techrolls
  • Smashes and non-Nair aerials have no priority (if you define it in terms of clanking rather than range; he almost never clanks due to the unique nature of his attacks)
  • Cooldown on most of his moves leaves room for punishment
  • Crap recovery
  • Below-average jump height
  • Relatively slow grab with no grab armor
  • Generally takes a while to learn
  • No knockback on his projectile most of the time
[/collapse]

Yeah, NVM, Olimar's garbage. Don't use that guy.
allow me to answer each one of these with a counter arguement:
running speed doesnt matter too much. dash speed and how early you can cancel it is far more important. why are you trying to run with olimar anyway?
he doesnt have trouble getting grounded when compared so some other characters. he has methods of getting down. he's also lightweight so hes gonna die fast ANYWAY

its better than mk's air speed. its proven to not be character breaking

yeah his techrolls do suck. but what you rolling for?

if were going to get technical nothing truly has priority. but i get what you mean. this isnt totally a bad thing though as the pikmin hurtbox is different from olimars. meaning that he doesnt get hurt if the pikmin gets hit. better than most of the cast have in terms of disjoints (anone who doesnt have a sword has worse disjoints than olimar)

his cooldown is moderate, with his power and range i wouldnt make it too farfetched to say he requires more on some attacks

cant argue there, his recovery is a disgrace. he does have a few ways of helping himself out depending on what the opponent tries to do...this doesnt mean you have to learn what order youre pikmin are in though

his jump height is not bad. the fact that he is floaty means that he travels much further with his jumps than most characters. i know i main bad characters. but truly his jump height is usable

his grab isnt any slower than any other 'tether grabs' and if youre needing to use grab armour , then youre at the wrong range. these are drawbacks but his grab is still pretty damn good

youre right, he does take a while to learn. but some people are naturally in tune with characters like him. i fully admit i wouldnt use a character that requies me to be that organised though

the screwy fashion of his projectile makes it great. by the time people have notice theyve got a clinger they have taken a few % and they also have to waste valuable time knocking it off. during which time you could possibly punish. also the fact it SOMETIMES has knockback means you can catch someone off guard with the variable nature of everything he has

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Lol all those points are true about olimar, but too bad he has multiple tools that help him to not be exploited at all.

His running speed, floatiness, horizontal air, poor recovery, bad roll and jump height flaws are strengthened by the fact that people have to approach him, and have a very hard time hitting him in the first place.

Just as an example. Arguing oli is not an amazing character is silly.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
yeah, he has one of the best projectiles in the game (levelling off with falco lasers, diddy narnas and snake nades) and the fact hes utterly tiny means its prettty hard to outcamp him

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
You're not supposed to answer thaaaaaat. It was a joke.
I'm VERY aware that he's top-tier material. ^^;

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Screw Ice Climbers. I suck. Gonna use G&W I guess. He is the most fun for me right now.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
^^wtf?

And I am trying to find myself a main. I lost MK after the ban and I am still confused, lost and sad :(

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Dude my peach is getting loads better everyday. I still have to think to do my nair a uair float cancels though. I can say shes more fun to use than gdubs right now though. At devastation I died off the top versus mk at 40%.

:phone:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
My Peach is still a lot better than my G&W and one of my best characters. I just like G&W more. I might use her for some weird reasons, but I doubt she will take G&Ws place again.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Me? No thanks, everyone plays Marth and I just dislike both of those. G&W is a random black guy with random stuff. Perfect for me :)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Marth is a very solid character to use. Especially with MK banned. A toptier secondary, I don't think you have any bad MUs with G&W + Marth.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Hard to tell.
Marth doesn't really **** anyone important, but he does sort of counter Falco and Snake, both top3 character, but he loses to Diddy, who is beat by Snake.
Gotta love the new metagame.

Top Bottom