• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Paper Mario Flips the Switch! -- Paper Mario Support Thread

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
According to this interview it seems that DLC is gonna be third party only. Add that to the fact that more evidence seems to point out that spirits do deconfirm characters and we get a broken dream.

Time to rip the band-aid off, guys. Paper Mario is deconfirmed.
Except he really isn't. This interview doesn't deconfirm any of the first-party characters.

No where in this does Reggie specifically say, "DLC wll be third-party only". All he says is (1) the DLC will surprise people, (2) the DLC characters will be new to Smash, which essentially means all newcomers and no vets, and (3) Sakurai doesn't rule out characters from games not on Nintendo consoles.

Joker and Reggie's comments haven't changed anything.

Fren62

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 2533 7389 2600
I support Paper Mario and love this Mimimimimimimi
well i DO want a Paper Mario rep however i prefer other characters from that series over Paper Mario to be in smash
also done modeling Mimi

Bootortle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J-Dudd
3DS FC
0259-0284-1711
Switch FC
SW-4554-3900-0616
I'm working on a video elaborating on the moveset I think he could have, using that image I posted however long ago as a base. I'll post it here when it's done.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
We let this thread die for over a month? I mean the only interesting thing PM wise that's happened recently is Book of Mario, and aside from that there's not much to discuss, but I'm surprised that he just fell off like that. Still hoping for a Switch port/remaster/remake of Color Splash/TTYD/64, but I don't expect much right now.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
A lot of things led to this thread getting dormant.

Too tired to name them all but a few include:
  • Getting Piranha Plant makes us skeptical that we'd get another Mario character to become DLC
  • If we DID get another Mario character, it's a competition between Toad / Captain Toad / Toadette, and in terms of RPG characters we have Geno to contend with
  • Paper Mario hasn't had a game since Color Splash, which I've heard super mixed things about, and it's a Wii U game that hasn't been ported to Switch yet.
    • To build on that, we don't know if we even want Sakurai to include Paper Mario if he's going to make him centered around his Sticker Star / Color Splash abilities; while some of us would be okay with that, we only want it as a small part of his moveset. More of us would like more of a focus on his Paper Mario 64 / TTYD games for abilities, with Super Paper Mario mixed in, and it's up in the air whether Sakurai agrees or not.
There's more reasons but I'm tired, other users can elaborate / build on my post.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
A lot of things led to this thread getting dormant.

Too tired to name them all but a few include:
  • Getting Piranha Plant makes us skeptical that we'd get another Mario character to become DLC
  • If we DID get another Mario character, it's a competition between Toad / Captain Toad / Toadette, and in terms of RPG characters we have Geno to contend with
  • Paper Mario hasn't had a game since Color Splash, which I've heard super mixed things about, and it's a Wii U game that hasn't been ported to Switch yet.
    • To build on that, we don't know if we even want Sakurai to include Paper Mario if he's going to make him centered around his Sticker Star / Color Splash abilities; while some of us would be okay with that, we only want it as a small part of his moveset. More of us would like more of a focus on his Paper Mario 64 / TTYD games for abilities, with Super Paper Mario mixed in, and it's up in the air whether Sakurai agrees or not.
There's more reasons but I'm tired, other users can elaborate / build on my post.
The first reason is a valid concern, but I wouldn't worry about the other two.

Toad and Captain Toad already have pretty notable roles in Ultimate. Aside from Geno, PM is really the only notable Mario character who's almost completely absent from the current game and a fairly popular request. He's also got a stage, so that's got to help distinguish him from others.

As for the series's inactivity, I wouldn't consider that a problem. CS is still fairly new (2016), and I don't think Sakurai would seriously be THAT nitpicky. Besides, look at Metroid. Didn't do squat aside from FF, yet it still got two newcomers.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One thing of note, in Palutena's guidance, Viridi lists ALL the Piranha plants, including several exclusive to the good Paper Mario games.

That shoots down Piranha Plant using Putrid's colors while charging poison being a co-incidence.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Wild theory: What if the datamined "Brave" character is actually Paper Mario

The floaty jump? Check
Sliding turn? Check
Slightly shorter than Mario? Check
No wall jump, no jab rush? All seems to fit perfectly

I even did a mockup
fit9by8W.jpg

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Wild theory: What if the datamined "Brave" character is actually Paper Mario

The floaty jump? Check
Sliding turn? Check
Slightly shorter than Mario? Check
No wall jump, no jab rush? All seems to fit perfectly

I even did a mockup
I'm not expecting Paper Mario in the first DLC wave, but I suppose those descriptions match well. Cool mockup, I was thinking at first that he looked too tall, but looking at the height comparison in Paper Jam it's actually pretty accurate, even if it looks a little goofy, haha.
Regardless, I'm excited for the Direct tomorrow. Maybe we can get a new Paper Mario game? One that's truly good? Pretty please, Nintendo? Well, I can dream. :upsidedown:

Yoshi 2410

Smash Cadet
Welp, now that more fighters are confirmed to be coming i suppose that Paper Mario has a chance again! Man, it's been a while since i've been excited for Smash DLC.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Welp, now that more fighters are confirmed to be coming i suppose that Paper Mario has a chance again! Man, it's been a while since i've been excited for Smash DLC.
We're back in business boyz. Certainly no guarantee, but if they're going first party for the next batch of characters I'd argue we have another chance. Either way the continuation of DLC is exciting news.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Figured this was as good as any time to finally voice my support for Paper Mario.

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
About the Campaign:
It's called #UltimateSmash. The point is to let Nintendo and Sakurai know about the characters fans would like to see post Fighters Pass. Since there's no confirmation whether the DLC is already fixed or not, it's better to let our voices be heard just in case, even if the characters are already a likely pick. I can't guarantee success, but with enough demand, anything is possible (Sans Mii costume). The current 4 characters are Geno, Crash, Shantae and Paper Mario. More will follow if successful.

Like, retweet, and share the link below with as many people as you can to increase it's chances of being seen. Careful about spamming, though. I will do a new wave after every character reveal when Twitter is buzzing. Good luck and fingers crossed!

LINK TO PAPER MARIO CAMPAIGN TWEET

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
There's a particular way I envision Paper Mario's attacks working. His model flips quickly horizontally and is exchanged with the party member that uses each attack. Like changing to a different character in Super Paper Mario but faster and without the cursor-drawn outline.
Like the dash has him ride the hatched Yoshi like Banjo-Kazooie using the Talon-trot. Yeah something about it feels natural to me.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
There's a particular way I envision Paper Mario's attacks working. His model flips quickly horizontally and is exchanged with the party member that uses each attack. Like changing to a different character in Super Paper Mario but faster and without the cursor-drawn outline.
Like the dash has him ride the hatched Yoshi like Banjo-Kazooie using the Talon-trot. Yeah something about it feels natural to me.
Ooh, this could theoretically help Sakurai "imagine the character dancing in his head" like he likes to say about coming up with characters' movesets. For example, he had no idea how to implement Pac-Man in Smash until he came up with the idea that he'll switch between his Pac-Land / Pac-Man World form and his pizza-with-a-slice-missing form, only the latter was in full-3D. That's when it "clicked" with him.

Having Paper Mario flip to other characters momentarily for other moves Super Paper Mario-style is a super great way of envisioning how Paper Mario "dances" as Sakurai would say.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
so you know how a piece of paper kinda flutters when you drop it because its alternating between the flat part acting as a parachute and the thin part cutting through the air? i think a cool way to represent this with paper mario is that his normal fall speed will be very slow, but his fastfall speed will be very fast.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I can't believe I (apparently?) haven't voiced my support for Paper Mario yet. I definitely want him in Smash! And if his Boxing Ring title isn't "The Great Gonzales," I'm gonna riot.

I have some cool ideas for him. For example, his specials could be Bomb (feat. Bombette, Bobbery, or OK Boomer), Shell Toss (feat. Kooper or Koops), Air Lift (feat. Parakarry), and Veil (feat. Vivian), and his Final Smash could be Star/Peach Beam. Also, his smash attacks should use the Paint Hammer from Color Splash, and cover his opponents in paint like Inkling.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Does anyone here find it strange that Paper Mario has a stage but not Paper Mario himself in the roster? I still haven't gotten use to it even though the stage has been in the games since Smash 4.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Definitely, although I rarely play the stage because the Bowser's Castle bit is insufferable. I wish the S.S. Flavion were the whole stage.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Dunno if this thread is still active, but I definitely want Paper Mario. The fact that Paper Mario 64 has pretty much nothing in this game makes me real sad.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Dunno if this thread is still active, but I definitely want Paper Mario. The fact that Paper Mario 64 has pretty much nothing in this game makes me real sad.
I want Paper Mario as well, but keep in mind that the Paper Bowser spirit battle is a callback to Paper Mario 64's final battle against him. You fight on Peach's Castle omega form, resembling the floating flat platform you fight on, and Star Rod items spawn that Bowser will use against you. I'd say that's decent representation of that game, even if the cameo of that game's whale in the S.S. Flavion section of the Paper Mario stage doesn't do much for me either.

I do wish we had some Paper Mario 64 music, though. All we have is a medley of Sticker Star's music with a snippet of Rogueport from TTYD thrown in, and some rips of Color Splash and Paper Jam music.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
How do you think party members would play a role in Paper Mario's moveset? Should he be more like Hero and just summon one at a time with down special or do you want his moveset to be more Game and Watch like with party members being dedicated moves?

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
How do you think party members would play a role in Paper Mario's moveset? Should he be more like Hero and just summon one at a time with down special or do you want his moveset to be more Game and Watch like with party members being dedicated moves?
Well, like I said over here...

I have some cool ideas for him. For example, his specials could be Bomb (feat. Bombette, Bobbery, or OK Boomer), Shell Toss (feat. Kooper or Koops), Air Lift (feat. Parakarry), and Veil (feat. Vivian), and his Final Smash could be Star/Peach Beam. Also, his smash attacks should use the Paint Hammer from Color Splash, and cover his opponents in paint like Inkling.
...he'd probably summon a different party member for each of his specials. His dash could incorporate the baby Yoshi, too, like Banjo riding on Kazooie.

Incidentally, my ideal Paper Mario stage is a battle screen from Thousand-Year Door, complete with a crowd that cheers, jeers, and throws items. You could get one of dozens of different backgrounds every time you select it. Maybe sometimes, Hooktail, Gloomtail, or Bonetail could appear on the right as a stage boss!

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Found this dope remix on YouTube. I'd love to jam out to this when Paper Mario joins the fight!

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Found this dope remix on YouTube. I'd love to jam out to this when Paper Mario joins the fight!

Awesome track. Funnily enough I don't have good memories of this chapter in my first playthrough, because I had one of the early glitched PAL copies where the game would freeze if you talked to Mimi during a certain moment. It turns out you didn't need to talk to her to proceed in the chapter after her introduction, but I tried going around it like 4-5 times before just seeing if I could walk past her. I could!

I know they're not going to add new bosses, but Mimi would be a fun Classic Mode boss.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Here's my Content List for Paper Mario, if he was in Smash! This assumes he is not FP5. This doesn't come with a moveset, mostly because... well... he's got potential that no first party and incredibly few third parties can match. So it'd be next to impossible for me to decide.

Stage: None!

That's right, Paper Mario would not come with a stage. I mean, he doesn't need to; we already have Paper Mario's stage in the game. So we can skip out on the dev time needed for his stage. In exchange, this means more time to focus on the moveset and other things!

But if I could get greedy and have another stage? The Battle Screen from TTYD would be great. I still stand by having no (new) stage, in exchange for his moveset being finely tuned, but if I can have both I'll take both.

Song List: 18 Mario songs. These should be pretty easy to get, so there's more than usual. You can tell where my areas of expertise lie by my music ratios.
  1. Battle Fanfare (Paper Mario) (Remix)
  2. Jr. Troopa's Theme
  3. Attack of the Koopa Bros.
  4. King of the Koopas
  5. Battle Theme (The Thousand Year Door)
  6. Hooktail Battle
  7. Magnus von Grapple
  8. Rawk Hawk Battle (Remix)
  9. Doopliss Battle
  10. Cortez Battle
  11. Vs. Grodus
  12. Vs. Shadow Queen (Phase 2)
  13. Flipside/Flopside (Remix)
  14. Francis Battle
  15. Closing Battle
  16. The Ultimate Show
  17. Gooper Blooper
  18. Blackout (Remix)
  19. Victory Theme: Battle Won (TTYD) (Remix)
    1. Alternatively, the Victory Fanfare from Paper Mario 64, followed by the Level Up (Grass Land) theme on loop.
Spirits: Basically any Paper Mario Spirit that's not in the game yet. It's not part of a Special Spirit Board, instead it's added to the current main board. Let's say around 26. Here's some examples.
  1. The Party Members of Paper Mario 64
  2. The Party Members of TTYD, sans Vivian who's in.
  3. The Pixls.
  4. Kersti.
  5. Paper Peach.
  6. Paper Luigi.
  7. Other antagonists not in the game yet.
Classic Mode: The Thousand Year Smash/ペーパースマブラRPG/etc. The theming is that it's based on the sequence of events that comprise the Thousand Year Door's quest.
  1. :ultyoshi: | #2 | Hooktail Battle | Unova Pokémon League (this one is actually really hard)
  2. :ultdoc::ultrob: | Doc: #7, ROB: #4 | Magnus von Grapple | Distant Planet
  3. Golden :ultfalco:, then :ultbowser: | Falco: Default, Bowser: #6 | Rawk Hawk Battle | Boxing Ring
  4. :ultkirby: | #6 | Doopliss Battle | Dracula's Castle
  5. :ultmetaknight: | #2 | Cortez Battle | Pirate Ship (if possible, instead a locked second phase of Paper Mario)
  6. Bonus Game
    1. If I could get away with not having a bonus game, it'd be a swarm of :ultkirby:'s, all colored #8, on Spirit Train. 10 in total to defeat.
  7. :ultdoc::ultmegaman: | Doc: #7, Mega Man: #8 | Magnus von Grapple | Frigate Orpheon
  8. :ultpeach:, followed by both the Hands | Peach: #8 | Vs. Shadow Queen (Phase 2) the whole time | Final Destination (maybe Omega Arena Ferox instead)
    1. Credits: Paper Mario Medley
Boxing Ring Title: can it really be anything other than The Great Gonzales?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Here's my Content List for Paper Mario, if he was in Smash! This assumes he is not FP5. This doesn't come with a moveset, mostly because... well... he's got potential that no first party and incredibly few third parties can match. So it'd be next to impossible for me to decide.

Stage: None!

That's right, Paper Mario would not come with a stage. I mean, he doesn't need to; we already have Paper Mario's stage in the game. So we can skip out on the dev time needed for his stage. In exchange, this means more time to focus on the moveset and other things!

But if I could get greedy and have another stage? The Battle Screen from TTYD would be great. I still stand by having no (new) stage, in exchange for his moveset being finely tuned, but if I can have both I'll take both.

Song List: 18 Mario songs. These should be pretty easy to get, so there's more than usual. You can tell where my areas of expertise lie by my music ratios.
  1. Battle Fanfare (Paper Mario) (Remix)
  2. Jr. Troopa's Theme
  3. Attack of the Koopa Bros.
  4. King of the Koopas
  5. Battle Theme (The Thousand Year Door)
  6. Hooktail Battle
  7. Magnus von Grapple
  8. Rawk Hawk Battle (Remix)
  9. Doopliss Battle
  10. Cortez Battle
  11. Vs. Grodus
  12. Vs. Shadow Queen (Phase 2)
  13. Flipside/Flopside (Remix)
  14. Francis Battle
  15. Closing Battle
  16. The Ultimate Show
  17. Gooper Blooper
  18. Blackout (Remix)
  19. Victory Theme: Battle Won (TTYD) (Remix)
    1. Alternatively, the Victory Fanfare from Paper Mario 64, followed by the Level Up (Grass Land) theme on loop.
Spirits: Basically any Paper Mario Spirit that's not in the game yet. It's not part of a Special Spirit Board, instead it's added to the current main board. Let's say around 26. Here's some examples.
  1. The Party Members of Paper Mario 64
  2. The Party Members of TTYD, sans Vivian who's in.
  3. The Pixls.
  4. Kersti.
  5. Paper Peach.
  6. Paper Luigi.
  7. Other antagonists not in the game yet.
Classic Mode: The Thousand Year Smash/ペーパースマブラRPG/etc. The theming is that it's based on the sequence of events that comprise the Thousand Year Door's quest.
  1. :ultyoshi: | #2 | Hooktail Battle | Unova Pokémon League (this one is actually really hard)
  2. :ultdoc::ultrob: | Doc: #7, ROB: #4 | Magnus von Grapple | Distant Planet
  3. Golden :ultfalco:, then :ultbowser: | Falco: Default, Bowser: #6 | Rawk Hawk Battle | Boxing Ring
  4. :ultkirby: | #6 | Doopliss Battle | Dracula's Castle
  5. :ultmetaknight: | #2 | Cortez Battle | Pirate Ship (if possible, instead a locked second phase of Paper Mario)
  6. Bonus Game
    1. If I could get away with not having a bonus game, it'd be a swarm of :ultkirby:'s, all colored #8, on Spirit Train. 10 in total to defeat.
  7. :ultdoc::ultmegaman: | Doc: #7, Mega Man: #8 | Magnus von Grapple | Frigate Orpheon
  8. :ultpeach:, followed by both the Hands | Peach: #8 | Vs. Shadow Queen (Phase 2) the whole time | Final Destination (maybe Omega Arena Ferox instead)
    1. Credits: Paper Mario Medley
Boxing Ring Title: can it really be anything other than The Great Gonzales?
Same here except I would include a stage with it being the Glitz Pit

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
The thing about the battle screen is that it could have dozens of interchangeable backgrounds. The Glitz Pit could very well be one of them. And of course, Paper Mario's title in the Boxing Ring has to be "The Great Gonzales."

I also think there should be more Color Splash music. The regular battle theme, Wendy's theme, and Port Prisma, at the very least!

zumaddy

Smash Ace
So question for you guys, if we finally get a Paper Mario announcement for the Switch would you rather have:
A) A Remake of Paper Mario 64
B) A new game which goes back to normal turn based combat/no stickers/more fleshed out NPCs

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So question for you guys, if we finally get a Paper Mario announcement for the Switch would you rather have:
B) A new game which goes back to normal turn based combat/no stickers/more fleshed out NPCs
A new game. I think Paper Mario's aged wonderfully so I'd rather see the series continue.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
A new game with the old RPG mechanics for sure.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Both, if A is the only way to get PM on the Switch. However assuming N64 Online will be a thing eventually, I'll take B every time.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Gonna have to add my voice to the chorus saying "B." I wouldn't say no to a Paper Mario 64 remake, but as long as the game is made available to play on modern hardware, I'm not going to clamor for one.

Now, if they made a new game, what party members would you like to see? I vote for Chain Chomp!

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Oh, I want a Shy Guy as a weaponry based party member. Instead of magic, he just has tons of different weapons, swords,spears,bows,shurikens, maces, hammers, bombs, etx. Basically he could be a weapons master party member ,with no magic skills to compensate

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I'd love to hear more Paper Mario music in Smash. Especially Paper Mario, Paper Mario: TTYD, and Super Paper Mario. Both originals and new remixes. So count me in!

Top Bottom