• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Paper Mario Flips the Switch! -- Paper Mario Support Thread

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Hi everyone. I would like to be a supporter for Paper Mario if that's still okay.

I've been a fan of the series since childhood. Paper Mario 64 and The Thousand Year Door were two of the games in particular that became the best highlights of the respective consoles they were on. Paper Mario TTYD especially, as that is a game I would list in my "Top 5 RPG games" and "Top 5 Video Games of all time"! It holds a special place in my heart for everything it is.

Actually, those were the only two I only played in the series. I heard Super Paper Mario was just as good but I only played the beginning of it, so I can't form an opinion of how much I liked the game. I heard the 3DS Paper Mario: Sticker Star wasn't well received, and Color Splash I don't really know too much of.

Nonetheless, I like to become a supporter for this thread and get along with other fans of the series here. Please include me in as a supporter.

PlasmaSnow12

Smash Cadet
I was making a Paper Mario moveset of my own before I found this thread, and thought it was neat how many completely different ideas people have come up with here.
Also, it was fun seeing what ideas I had that other people had as well, and which ones I would never have thought of.

It still isn't finished, but here's what I have so far: Paper Mario Smash Moves and Stuff I guess

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Hi! I just finished an illustrated (albeit mostly-traced) moveset for Paper Mario, and thought y'all might enjoy it. :)

If smashboards won't load the images, you can find an imgur gallery here.

Yoshi 2410

Smash Cadet
Hi! I just finished an illustrated (albeit mostly-traced) moveset for Paper Mario, and thought y'all might enjoy it. :)
Don't know how to feel about paint being the main gimmick, but i sure know that you used it perfectly, representing 4 games with it. I like it! The buying mechanic reminds me a lot of Shovel Knight from RoA, was that an inspiration?

Last edited:

Paper_Marzio

Smash Cadet

If smashboards won't load the images, you can find an imgur gallery here.
Wow this is an amazing moveset, I've seen many in my time on this board but I feel like you really put a lot of thought into every move here! Major props for including every single game into his moveset, something that's very hard to pull off without making it look clunky but it was pulled off well!
Nice job designating moves and how they would act, along with including the move potential in them (Ie Parakarry flying faster with more %)

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Thanks for the kind words! Shovel Knight's roa set was the biggest source of inspiration, yeah. The gimmick is really cool in that game, and once it crossed my mind, I realized that it was probably the best way I'd seen to make Paper Mario's partners work without making every move super-cluttered.

Yoshi 2410

Smash Cadet
The sad thing about that moveset is that it wouldn't be possible in Ultimate, as the roster (and by extension, the movesets) was decided on 2015, and Color Splash released on 2016.

I really have to try to make another Paper Mario moveset to see if i can finally give him a cohesive moveset, but who knows when will i do that

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
You put some incredible work into this. This is by far the cleanest looking moveset I've seen. Your main gimmick is really unique, and you explained how the player can change playstyles depending on the card used very well. So yeah, amazing work on this. Easy A+ for you. :upsidedown:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
hey i support paper mario! the paper mario games have always been some of my favorites and i think he has so much potential to be a really cool fighter!

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I still remember being just a lad and renting Paper Mario 64 on a blind whim from Hollywood Video. Took the game home and became sucked into it's colorful world. Now I can't revisit it without getting misty eyed. My god how time flies.

Deeply love this series to the core, but...

I don't know if I care too much to see Paper Mario as a fighter. Yes, Paper Mario means a lot to me. But I don't feel like I'd use him if he was in SSB. I want to be put down as a supporter, but that is because I'll fight for the little guy against anybody who wants to diminish him and his franchise's impact.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
And with that, we've exceeded 100 supporters! Thanks so much to everyone who made this happen. I'm happy so many people have been voicing their support, especially these last few months. Seeing the list slowly but surely grow to this point firsthand has been a real treat. Thanks for sticking around everybody!

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
I don't know where the hype for Paper Mario is. Seriously, he already has a stage, he already has music, and he has infinite relevance and used to be a major force in the speculation scene (even if he was a bit player compared to K. Rool and Ridley). He's got amazing chances. Where's the buzz? Is it really because he hasn't been leaked? Music theory (which never stopped Geno or Skull Kid)? I guess the lack of leaks makes you look unlikely compared to other characters. And with how K. Rool turned out, there's no reason to fear him being lackluster in terms of how he acts or feels.
So I'm late to the party in replying here but I just saw this post and this is something I've thought about a lot. Imho the lack of hype for Paper Mario comes down to a few things:

1. Geno has the lion's share of support for a new Mario series newcomer. This is the biggest one, I would say. People assume that Mario will only have one more newcomer, and Geno has always been Smashboards' precious child, ever since the Brawl days. Only Waluigi can compete with his following and Waluigi is dead. Between Paper Mario and Geno, I'd prefer Paper Mario myself, but Geno would be great as well and I think in an ideal world we could get both, especially when DLC is taken into account. Regardless, Geno sucks all the oxygen out of the room when it comes to Mario newcomer discussions. Paper Mario is definitely more recognized among gamers in general but they probably don't see him as distinct enough from regular Mario to rally around him as a character.

2. Paper Mario's reputation as a game series has suffered since Sticker Star. It's unfortunate but true. I didn't even bother with Color Splash myself, even though it's a good game by all accounts. It just hurts too much compared to what the first two games in the series were like. This means the last undeniably amazing Paper Mario game came out in the Gamecube era, which is too late to capture the nostalgia of the older gamers (who probably gravitate more towards Geno) and too soon to appeal to the younger Smash fanbase (who may have played Sticker Star or Color Splash and not liked it).

3. The misconception that Paper Mario would just be "another" Mario. Yes, we already have Dr. Mario, and yes, Young Link and Toon Link are literally just Link clones (that's a shame though as both could easily have unique movesets). But Paper Mario is so distinct from regular Mario that if he's just going to be a clone, I'd rather not have him in the game at all imo. Even if you don't include any of his companions for whatever bizarre reason, you could still do all kinds of fun tricks like folding into a paper airplane for up+B, and the hammer is an integral tool in Paper Mario's arsenal that no other Mario character is using currently. People who assume he would just be another Mario clone are probably basing it off of a cursory glance at the character, or out of pessimism based on what happened to Toon Link and Young Link.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I'm back on Smashboards after taking nearly a month off to replay games, including Paper Mario TTYD.

My take, on replaying it (something I do every few years) with older eyes, is that almost everything is followed up on plot wise, which is a feat considering lots of games with an emphasis on story tend to forget a few details, but I did say almost: it's unclear why Smorg attacks the train in Chapter 6. I know that there are unused lines and data indicating that you would have fought Doopliss and the Shadow Sirens in Chapter 6 but that had to be cut for whatever reason, which is a shame.

It's so fun though. I went for mostly Badge Points this time and had a blast letting myself experiment with all the different badges in the game. I had enough confidence in myself to beat Bonetail before Chapter 7, and annihilating almost every enemy in the next two chapters with the Bump Attack badge in the Pit of 100 trials was nothing short of cathartic.

Would you believe beating Bonetail was actually easier for me than beating the final boss though? The latter has a 2nd stage where you're supposed to wait until they trigger a cutscene that activates the final stage, and i was constantly dying and my last Life Shrooms were being depleted as I tried to remember what exactly activated the trigger. I won in the end though, by the skin of my teeth.

Definitely a top 5 game for me, and in my heart it will always be way better than the (still great so don't twist your butts) Super Mario RPG.

It'd be a dream to have Paper Mario in Smash someday, especially since he doesn't fit Nintendo's definition of "retro," it seems, so it's up in the air on if Sakurai will ever implement him. I'll be happy if the suspicions are true and Geno makes it in since I still like SMRPG, but it will never match my potential excitement for Paper Mario.

One last thing: replaying SMRPG and Paper Mario TTYD have gotten me to go "alright, I'll play the remaining Mario RPGs, why not." So sometime by the end of the year I'll try to play Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam and Paper Mario: Color Splash.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I really really want to play Paper Mario Pro Mode but I think that I've grown too rusty to do it anymore. But I don't want to play the same game twice because that's going to mess with me when I go through Pro Mode, and burn me out at that.

I've played TTYD and Super too much for them to pose much of a threat without handicapping myself, and frankly I think limiting my options to make a game like TTYD, where you can do a million things if you're creative, just isn't fun (though I haven't tried). I don't own Color Splash and have been effectively deterred from Sticker Star.

Here's hoping that Paper Mario's Switch debut, if not here, is in a 64 remake.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
I really really want to play Paper Mario Pro Mode but I think that I've grown too rusty to do it anymore. But I don't want to play the same game twice because that's going to mess with me when I go through Pro Mode, and burn me out at that.

I've played TTYD and Super too much for them to pose much of a threat without handicapping myself, and frankly I think limiting my options to make a game like TTYD, where you can do a million things if you're creative, just isn't fun (though I haven't tried). I don't own Color Splash and have been effectively deterred from Sticker Star.

Here's hoping that Paper Mario's Switch debut, if not here, is in a 64 remake.
Maybe you could try playing through the first chapter of the original Paper Mario to derust your skills, and then play through Pro Mode after you're used to the mechanics again. That way you won't get too burnt out and you'll be able to hold your own when it comes to difficulty.

Paper_Marzio

Smash Cadet
So I'm late to the party in replying here but I just saw this post and this is something I've thought about a lot. Imho the lack of hype for Paper Mario comes down to a few things:

1. Geno has the lion's share of support for a new Mario series newcomer. This is the biggest one, I would say. People assume that Mario will only have one more newcomer, and Geno has always been Smashboards' precious child, ever since the Brawl days. Only Waluigi can compete with his following and Waluigi is dead. Between Paper Mario and Geno, I'd prefer Paper Mario myself, but Geno would be great as well and I think in an ideal world we could get both, especially when DLC is taken into account. Regardless, Geno sucks all the oxygen out of the room when it comes to Mario newcomer discussions. Paper Mario is definitely more recognized among gamers in general but they probably don't see him as distinct enough from regular Mario to rally around him as a character.
I agree that Geno definitely has good chances considering he has Sakurai's blessing and all, but I think the board really overestimates his popularity.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...w5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=1483868529
In the 45,000 vote Smash Ballot Exit Poll compilation, US and EU combined(I'm not using global or Japan at all, because that section is whack, consisting of only one flimsy source that weighed every newcomer by likelihood and was based on social media appearances )
Of Unconfirmed characters:

Isaac 8.02%
Banjo 6.27%
Shantae 4.31%
Paper Mario 2.46%
Wonder Red 2.24%
Ray Man 2.22%
Geno 1.64%

Paper Mario beat out Geno here among internet demographics, and one important thing to note is:

This poll is based purely on internet demographics: Something that Geno is heavily boosted by considering that a huge majority of his player base is around Millenial age, and are very apparent on the internet. However Paper Mario still managed to beat out Geno here, and something that the poll did not account for, and I don't blame it as this would be very hard to collect in any real shape or form are the younger votes from Smash Fans.

Paper Mario's mostly supported by a mainly TTYD and 64 fanbase on the internet, but something that isn't accounted for is support from the SPM fans(Best Selling in Series) and the Sticker Star Fans(As controversial as this game was it was the second best selling game in the series, and it was not a Bad game, just a poor Paper Mario game).

Geno doesn't have such boost to push him upwards(You could try and account for Virtual Console Super Mario RPG, but Nintendo hasn't given any data so my claim can only be pure speculation), and is still beaten out by Paper Mario among internet demographics.

so while Geno has good chances he's really just beaten out by Paper Mario in terms of popularity from what I've seen accounting for non-internet demographic votes(Would only be known by Super Mario RPG Fans), and even internet demographic votes.

Size of Support Thread =/= Actual Support.

Last edited:

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
I agree that Geno definitely has good chances considering he has Sakurai's blessing and all, but I think the board really overestimates his popularity.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...w5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=1483868529
In the 45,000 vote Smash Ballot Exit Poll compilation, US and EU combined(I'm not using global or Japan at all, because that section is whack, consisting of only one flimsy source that weighed every newcomer by likelihood and was based on social media appearances )
Of Unconfirmed characters:

Isaac 8.02%
Banjo 6.27%
Shantae 4.31%
Paper Mario 2.46%
Wonder Red 2.24%
Ray Man 2.22%
Geno 1.64%

Paper Mario beat out Geno here among internet demographics, and one important thing to note is:

This poll is based purely on internet demographics: Something that Geno is heavily boosted by considering that a huge majority of his player base is around Millenial age, and are very apparent on the internet. However Paper Mario still managed to beat out Geno here, and something that the poll did not account for, and I don't blame it as this would be very hard to collect in any real shape or form are the younger votes from Smash Fans.

Paper Mario's mostly supported by a mainly TTYD and 64 fanbase on the internet, but something that isn't accounted for is support from the SPM fans(Best Selling in Series) and the Sticker Star Fans(As controversial as this game was it was the second best selling game in the series, and it was not a Bad game, just a poor Paper Mario game).

Geno doesn't have such boost to push him upwards(You could try and account for Virtual Console Super Mario RPG, but Nintendo hasn't given any data so my claim can only be pure speculation), and is still beaten out by Paper Mario among internet demographics.

so while Geno has good chances he's really just beaten out by Paper Mario in terms of popularity from what I've seen accounting for non-internet demographic votes(Would only be known by Super Mario RPG Fans), and even internet demographic votes.

Size of Support Thread =/= Actual Support.
Yeah I agree, and that’s exactly what I’m talking about. Paper Mario isn’t hyped on Smashboards, Gamefaqs, Reddit etc because these are vocal minority extremely insulated online communities, where Geno fans have been extremely loud for decades. Nobody outside of those communities even knows who Geno is so obviously Paper Mario would be more popular among the wider public.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464

Don't see Paper Mario leaks often (a lot of you have probably already seen this via the general thread)

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151

Don't see Paper Mario leaks often (a lot of you have probably already seen this via the general thread)
Kind of a neat look, but I really don't think they'd go that direction with him since it looks so different from any of his other appearances. I wouldn't be opposed to him looking like that, but I don't think it's real. I guess the shading might make sense if it's a flattened 3D model a la Game and Watch, but it looks a bit off to me, at least.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

This leak looks pretty convincing to me to be honest with the odd yet fitting shading. I gotta see more screenshots of this render before I am fully on-board.

Last edited:

DooplissWizard

Smash Rookie

Honestly, as much as I feel like this will probably end up being another well-made fake, the weird artstyle is what really makes me hesitant to make any final judgments. It feels like just the sort of weird design choice Sakurai would make, and it seems weird that a fake leaker would make such an unusual design when giving Paper Mario his regular design would probably be way easier to fake.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Count me as a supporter of Paper Mario. Loved Paper Mario on N64. He & Geno are the two Mario characters that should definitely round out the Mario universe. If they both got in, not only would they be unique and important characters added, but they'd bring the total roster of Mario characters to 10! Not including the Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Wario subuniverses, of course lol.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
The problem with Mario and the sub-series is that there's still too many good characters left xD Which forces me to choose between them.

For what it's worth though; I do support Paper Mario. I just dunno if he takes my priority over other Mario characters lol

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Man I miss Project M. We could've gotten Lyn, Isaac, Knuckles, Sami, Dixie, Paper Mario and Skull Kid as newcomers. How hype would that have been

Yoshi 2410

Smash Cadet
There's something interesting I'd like to bring to your attention today. According to some Ex-PMDT members, Paper Mario was in the works for Project M before development halted.
The fact that Paper Mario was gonna be in the best Smash game ever (yes, i said it, fight me) but then it got shut down because some staff wanted to work on their dumb melee clone hurts me even to this day

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Even though the leak is fake, I like the attention Paper Mario gets. Still fun to look at.

Also, I would've picked Project M back up if Paper Mario and Skull Kid were added.

Last edited:

Yoshi 2410

Smash Cadet
Welp, this is it, folks. Tomorrow we'll know if our hero got in or not.

Doesn't look like it tho :(

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Paper Mario is and always will be my most wanted. They supersede Geno as the Mario RPG character in my heart.

Even if we don't get him, I can still be wistful about it. That's its own sort of nice.

Top Bottom