• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Paper Mario Flips the Switch! -- Paper Mario Support Thread

Yoshi 2410

Smash Cadet
Just saw this on the Skull Kid thread! Paper Mario’s still riding the love in Japan! Number 5! Way to go Paper Mario!

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/9djz69/dengeki_nintendos_smash_poll_has_concluded_here/
Post was deleted, here you go. http://i.4cdn.org/v/1536252064772.png

Really surprised that Paper Mario's still alive and kickin' in Japan, even more so than Geno. Hopefully that support keeps on going, as Japan is the most important place when it comes to this stuff

Last edited:

KR_G

Smash Rookie
I have a good feeling that paper Mario will be revealed as a character alongside a new paper Mario game

Yoshi 2410

Smash Cadet
Just saw this on the Skull Kid thread! Paper Mario’s still riding the love in Japan! Number 5! Way to go Paper Mario!

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/9djz69/dengeki_nintendos_smash_poll_has_concluded_here/
So i just saw the comments on the Reddit thread and it looks like the Lloyd thing is fake? Makes me believe that the whole thing is really shaky. Also, in that image the number 5 spot just says "Mario", not "Paper Mario". Weird wording for sure. Looks like this is another loss for our 2D plumber.

PlasmaSnow12

Smash Cadet
I really want Paper Mario in, but I would prefer it if he represented primarily 64 and ttyd.
I love Super to bits, I'm just not sure what could be done to represent it?
maybe some of his attacks have a relevant Pixl show up to help?
Not a fan at all of sticker star or color splash, though I admit color splash looked very pretty.
I definitely think some of his partners should show up, like a rosalina + luma thing, but with different and swapable partners.

Especially since in ttyd they had their own health and could be used to help tank attacks for mario.
Perhaps if one dies, they auto-swap to a new partner but unlike Rosa, they never come back, so eventually Paper Mario wouldn't have any partners left? Just a thought.
I could also see each partner simply being in a different attack, summoned to help mario out, but I think that's a lot less fun, haha.
As an aside, what colors would be nice for Paper Mario, and would his partners also get colored differently to help avoid confusion?

Paper_Marzio

Smash Cadet
Yeah I can see Thoreau being used for the grab, and possibly Barry as the neutral air that's multi-hit and has a few frames that can reflect projectiles during the middle of the moves

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
I love Super to bits, I'm just not sure what could be done to represent it?

As an aside, what colors would be nice for Paper Mario, and would his partners also get colored differently to help avoid confusion?
Some of my favorite ideas I've heard that implement the Pixls are Barry's spike shield as a neutral air, Thudley's ground pound as a down air, and Thoreau's ability as a ranged grab. As for alternate costumes, the obvious ones include the W and L emblems from Thousand Year Door, giving him yellow, green, and purple colors, as well as Fire Flower and Ice Flower costume colors. I don't think that it's necessary to recolor his partners, considering Luma's color isn't based on Rosalina's costume.

PlasmaSnow12

Smash Cadet
Yeah I can see Thoreau being used for the grab, and possibly Barry as the neutral air that's multi-hit and has a few frames that can reflect projectiles during the middle of the moves
Some of my favorite ideas I've heard that implement the Pixls are Barry's spike shield as a neutral air, Thudley's ground pound as a down air, and Thoreau's ability as a ranged grab.
I'm honestly a little disappointed I didn't think of Thoreau as a grab, that one is pretty obvious.
Barry as a nair sounds nice, as well as Thudley as a dair. Maybe Fleep as his dodge somehow? I think that'd be funny
Or Dotty or Slim
: P
Those could work as well.

Dashell shows up while he's running?
I could easily see Tippi or Piccolo as taunts.
Cudge shows up to hammer on one side of Mario while he hits the other side during a get-up attack?
Or as a ledge attack.

Any number of them could show up during a victory animation, though him riding Carrie would be my favorite idea I had.
Wow guys thanks for getting me thinking about this, its fun, haha

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Add me to the list of supporters for Paper Mario! I've always wanted him in Smash.

I've been lurking in this thread for a few days now, but yeah, might as well say it now.

As for integrating Super Paper Mario, one idea I have is to make the Pixls collectively into an assist trophy, where they look kind of like a big swarm and they randomly use one of themselves when they get near an opponent--except for Piccolo, who could be one of Paper Mario's taunts.

Using Thoreau as his grab would be fine as well, I think.

Snipe

Smash Cadet
For Paper Mario’s neutral special, it’d be cool if he could use 3 partners: a goomba (Goombario or Goombella), koopa (Kooper or Koops), and bob-omb (Bombette or Bobbery). By holding neutral B, he’s put into his thinking pose like in the games. Releasing the B button will make one out of three partners appear; this is determined by the direction of the control stick after the B button is released. Up for goomba (flies in an arc), neutral direction for koopa (fast straight projectile), and down for bob-omb (slow walking projectile that eventually explodes). This way, partners get some representation while leaving space for his aerial, smash attacks, and other specials!

Snipe

Smash Cadet
Also, I really like someone’s idea of timed attacks! One thing I would like to add to it is the implementation of stylish moves. For example, when he charges his hammer and you press “A” just as it hits the ground, he does a small backflip like in TTYD.

Last edited:

xzx

Smash Lord
Add me to the support list. I have always wanted Paper Mario since Brawl.

Yoshi 2410

Smash Cadet
I definitely think some of his partners should show up, like a rosalina + luma thing, but with different and swapable partners.
Especially since in ttyd they had their own health and could be used to help tank attacks for mario.
Perhaps if one dies, they auto-swap to a new partner but unlike Rosa, they never come back, so eventually Paper Mario wouldn't have any partners left? Just a thought.
I swear to god last night i thought about this same exact concept.

My idea was switching between Goombario/Goombella, Kooper/Koops and Bombette/Bombard with Down B. Then Neutral B would use their ability (Headbonk for the goombas, Shell Toss for the Koopas and a timed explosion for the Bob-Ombs). They'd also have different stats.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I apologize if I already posted this, but during Smash 4 speculation, I made a Paper Mario moveset video.
I'd probably change some of the stuff, like his Final Smash, but overall, I am happy with the video.

Quick warning, it's somewhat lengthy but contains a lot of content.

Yoshi 2410

Smash Cadet
I apologize if I already posted this, but during Smash 4 speculation, I made a Paper Mario moveset video.
I'd probably change some of the stuff, like his Final Smash, but overall, I am happy with the video.

Sparkle transitions galore

bbybae

Smash Cadet
hi all! i just want to add my support to this thread, paper mario has been my most wanted newcomer in every single smash game and i figure we already have three links so this time its not so crazy to wish for! huge paper mario fan.

i personally would love to see attacks based on his hammer + using a lot of his party members from 64 & TTYD, maybe even the pixls
it wouldn't be so crazy to focus on representation from earlier games because of how retro they went with k.rool's moveset and the focus on old & fan favorite characters.

i think this is so good! super well thought out. i think the down/neutral special thing is probably unrealistic due to development constraints, so I'd more likely believe each special gets just one partner. I love the idea for the dodges using the TTYD paper

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Good luck tomorrow. Not sure if we'll get a Mario newcomer from this Direct, but I still feel like PM is in a better position than most of the remaining characters.

Here's to hoping for a pleasant suprise.

D

Deleted member

I'd be down for Paper Mario to get in as a playable character. The first two games are amazing, Super Paper Mario proved that the series can try new things and still produce a good game, Sticker Star is the main reason people question that previous point because it's not a good game, and Color Splash is at least better than Sticker Star but since I haven't played it myself, I don't know if I can call it good. And most of the reviews I've seen of it don't make it seem like a good game.

Even so, count me in as a Paper Mario supporter. You know that wording makes wonder what species I would be if I was a Paper Mario partner. Probably a Chain Chomp.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Thanks for all the support guys! It's always fun to see the big surge of support that precedes a Direct. We're super close to 100 supporters on the list right now, only 4 away! Crossing my fingers for tomorrow, as always. :)

Here's a fantastic remix-medley to keep you guys occupied during the wait.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I feel like people are really sleeping on Paper Mario this time. The fan polls suggest he did really well and he's been requested for a long time, so it's pretty odd no one seems to think he has a great chance. While I'm still unsure if he will make it, he's being majorly overlooked.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
If we somehow get both Geno AND Paper Mario, I'll walk away satisfied with Mario RPG representation in Smash.

Yeah it'd be nice to have Fawful for the Mario & Luigi games but...Mario and Luigi are both in Smash already lol. Paper Mario is different cuz that crossover game with M&L showed that Paper Mario is a separate entity from the two of them, and since Paper Mario has really fun moveset possibilities, it will always feel partially incomplete without Paper Mario.

As usual though, I'm still mostly satisfied with the current Smash roster, especially since Young Link and Pokemon Trainer are back.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
We may have lost, but I couldn't be any more happy for Animal Crossing fans. Isabelle as a fighter AND a new Animal Crossing game? That's a well earned victory. Props to them.

Paper_Marzio

Smash Cadet
Well turns out that there wasn't a Paper Mario reveal trailer, or Color Splash port but the Isabelle reveal and Animal Crossing game announcement appealed to many.

It also shows that a more silent majority exists that can win polls like Isabelle did, and not every single newcomer is some type of Retro Rep, so that bodes well for us.

Last edited:

xzx

Smash Lord
Hi all! Here I present my version of Paper Mario's moveset. Almost every move is pulled directly from his games. (I originally planned to make this a video, but am too lazy to do it. Maybe I'll do it. Maybe I'll even add pictures to the moves. We'll see. Anyways...) Here it is!

Paper Mario

Normals:

Jab: A quick swing with his wooden hammer (TTYD overworld version)

F-tilt: Vivian's shade punch

D-tilt: Paper Mario pulls Bowser tape from the ground (similar to Villager's d-tilt)

Up-tilt: Paper Mario spins up shortly in the air to then slap the ground (that technique he uses in TTYD where he can flip over hidden panels in the ground to find items and such).

Dash attack: His (badgeless) spinning attack in PM64

Smash attacks:

F-smash: He swings with his Golden Hammer (TTYD battle variant). Pressing "A" after hitting someone/something will trigger the "Stylish!" command where Paper Mario will do a quick backflip for that extra safety (when hitting a shield, for example).

D-smash: He shoots out Koops in front of him (like he can do in the overworld). It can pick up items

Up-Smash: A straight upwards headbutt with Goombario

Aerials:

N-air: His in-battle jump attack. Paper Mario jumps on the enemy. If the attack hits, Paper Mario will pop up in the air and can continue hitting his nair again to chain multiple nairs together or to simply using other attacks since the attack is done after the jump. (Pressing "A" right after hitting someone with nair will trigger the "Stylish!" action command where Paper Mario will "taunt" in the air, just like in TTYD) For every consecutive nair that hits, Paper Mario will receive added gravity to prevent it from being overpowered. (Sorry, no infinite jumps!) If missed, Paper Mario will receive moderate endlag. Weak meteor smash in the air, Sakurai angle on the ground.

F-air: He throws his hammer in an small upwards arc a decent distance forward, based on the "Hammer Throw" attack in TTYD

D-air: His ground pound attack. Is a stall-then-fall attack with a powerful spike

B-air: Paper Mario transforms into his paper plane and stabs behinds him in an upwards arc. Sweetspot on the tip

Up-air: He holds up Watt in the air. Sex kick properties, just like Villager's up-air. Is based on when Paper Mario holds Watt in PM64 to light up rooms

Grabs & throws

Grab: Thoreau. Can even grab people in midair (his Zair), though he can only use forward throw in this case, since Paper Mario will hold the enemy with both hands overhead (see F-throw below). If Paper Mario is offstage and grabs someone, it can lead to a "suicide KO". When grabbing someone on the ground, Thoreau will hold the enemy in front of Paper Mario, just like Olimar's grab.

Pummel: Smacks with a Bowser flip-flop

F-throw: Grabs the enemy and carries them overhead with both hands, then tosses the enemy to the ground in front of him

D-throw: Does his "Great!" spin from Sticker Star (in which he spins around in the air two times), then smacks the enemy with his hammer

B-throw: Pulls the enemy like a sticker (like he does in Sticker Star)

Up-throw: Swings his hammer like a golf club to send the enemy flying skywards. Based on the badge "Fire Drive" and uses its very same hammer animation

Specials:

Side special: The chargable spin attack he does in TTYD (overworld version) called "Spin Hammer". Three chargable stages. Press and hold to charge. First stage is weak, second stage is moderate in power and the third one is strong.

Down special: Bobbery (overworld version). When pressed once, Paper Mario will summon Bobbery and hold him overhead. Press the button again to throw him in front of you, in which he will walk forward on his own. Press the special button again to selfdetonate him. Bobbery will explode after a while even if you don't selfdetonate him, even if you are carrying him. The blasts won't damage Paper Mario, just like in TTYD.

Up special: The Spring Jump technique in TTYD. Three chargable stages. When the apex is reached when fully charging this move (that said, when it's "level 3"), Paper Mario will grab hold onto Parrakarry, in which he will fly a horizontal distance. Press the special button again to have Parrakarry drop Paper Mario. If Spring Jump "level 3" hits a ceiling, he will do his "hit the ceiling" animation from TTYD.

Neutral Special: Partner Switch. Choose between seven partners! When the special button is pressed, Paper Mario will look up on a sub menu that appears (animation similar to when Paper Mario wonders what move to choose in a battle), where all partners are shown in a circular pattern, just like in TTYD. In the sub menu, you can choose a partner by going left/right (this will not move Paper Mario) and then by pressing the special button. The partner activates and will join Paper Mario alongside him, following him around, just like in the Paper Mario series. When a partner is out, pressing the special button will allow the partner to attack. Press the shield button to cancel the move (the sub menu). You can even cancel the move (the sub menu) by doing other actions (besides specials). The partners can't be attacked or interacted with (just like when Olimar's Pikmin are standing next to him). The seven partners are:

> Goombella: Headbonk. Goombella will track down the nearest enemy she is facing and walk up to it and attack it

> Kooper: Shell Toss. Kooper goes inside his shell on the spot and spins around in place. The more you press the special button, the stronger and further the move will go

> Bombette: Bomb. When used, Bombette will walk forward with her fuse lit. The more you press the special button, the stronger the blast will be. An on-screen gauge will appear, similar to the move in PM64

> Flurrie: Her overworld flurry ability. A strong wind is being blown in front of her. Has great windboxes that pushes enemies and items far away

> Mini-Yoshi: Gulp. Mini-Yoshi will walk forward a bit and then use his Gulp attack. If it connects, he will spit out the enemy, which becomes a powerful "projectile" with great knockback if it lands on another enemy

> Bow: Fan Smack. When used, she will move forwards. An on-screen gauge will appear, just like in PM64. The more you fill it by tapping the special button, the more slaps she will deliver and the more powerful the last slap will be

> Barry: When used, Paper Mario will attack with a powerful spiky barrier, just like in Super Paper Mario. It is a powerful attack that can also reflect projectiles

Paper Mario having seven partners is a reference to TTYD, where he has exactly seven partners. After a partner has finished using its move, it will go back to the sub menu, where it can be chosen again. There is no limit on how many times you can use a partner. You can use the same partner how many times in a row you want.

Miscellaneous:

Final Smash: His Star Beam attack in PM64. Paper Mario summons all seven Star Spirits in front of him, which will create a giant light pillar. Everyone caught in it will then be attacked by the Star Beam attack, taking multiple hits before getting launched.

Taunts:

> Down taunt: Paper Mario faces the camera and does a thumbs-up pose while saying "Yeah!"
> Side taunt: His "Appeal" command in TTYD, where he waves at the enemy with a big smile on his face
> Up-taunt: The "Got item!" pose in TTYD in which he holds up an item he got while looking at it with the corresponding "Got item!" fanfare playing. The taunt randomly chooses between these items: A mushroom, a fire flower, a shell, a POW block, a badge and a star piece

Dodges:

> Air dodge: He flips over and becomes "superflat". In TTYD, this is done by pressing the R-button in the overworld. (This allows Paper Mario to enter small gaps such as the small space between two boxes)

> Spot dodge: He enters the "3D world" in the background and then reappears back in the "2D world". This originates from Super Paper Mario, where Paper Mario could switch between 2D and 3D with the A-button on the Wii Remote

> Roll dodge (side step): He turns into his paper roll

Victory animations:

1) He does his "Nuh-uh" victory pose from Paper Mario 64
2) He does his thumbs-up pose and then holds his hat and nods, just like in TTYD
3) He does his jumping victory pose in Sticker Star

His victory theme is his victory theme in TTYD

On-screen appearance: He appears out of a warp pipe, with the same animation as in TTYD

Other:

> At the ledge: He has an animation in Sticker Star where he tethers over a ledge while looking down and flailing his arms, balancing to not fall down
> Hanging on the ledge: When grabbing hold onto a pipe after using his Spring Jump in TTYD, he hangs on to it with two hands
> Icon: The Mario series logo, but with a folded vibe to make it look like a Mushroom Sticker, giving it a papery feel
> Idle poses: The yawn animation from TTYD and the "Focus" command from PM64
> Swimming: Transforms into his paper boat
> Paper Mario has animations which can be directly taken from his games. These can be used for: when he sleeps, when he has gotten his shield broken, when shielding, when getting hit by an attack, when jumping and double jumping, when walking, running and crouching, when sleeping, when using assist trophies, etc.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I don't know where the hype for Paper Mario is. Seriously, he already has a stage, he already has music, and he has infinite relevance and used to be a major force in the speculation scene (even if he was a bit player compared to K. Rool and Ridley). He's got amazing chances. Where's the buzz? Is it really because he hasn't been leaked? Music theory (which never stopped Geno or Skull Kid)? I guess the lack of leaks makes you look unlikely compared to other characters. And with how K. Rool turned out, there's no reason to fear him being lackluster in terms of how he acts or feels.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Where's the buzz? Is it really because he hasn't been leaked?
I think that's exactly it. Leaks and bandwagoning seem to be garnering the most support during this speculation period, for whatever reason. It would be nice to get that kind of support in the case of another Smash Ballot being held for DLC fighters; we'd certainly be in a better position assuming he doesn't end up making it into the base game.

Anyway, I've been kinda considering making an updated moveset of my own since it's been so long since my last. I'll at least brainstorm some stuff first before committing to it.

xzx

Smash Lord
Paper Mario

Normals:

Jab: A quick swing with his wooden hammer (TTYD overworld version)

F-tilt: Vivian's shade punch

D-tilt: Paper Mario pulls Bowser tape from the ground (similar to Villager's d-tilt)

Up-tilt: Paper Mario spins up shortly in the air to then slap the ground (that technique he uses in TTYD where he can flip over hidden panels in the ground to find items and such).

Dash attack: His (badgeless) spinning attack in PM64

Smash attacks:

F-smash: He swings with his Golden Hammer (TTYD battle variant). Pressing "A" after hitting someone/something will trigger the "Stylish!" command where Paper Mario will do a quick backflip for that extra safety (when hitting a shield, for example).

D-smash: He shoots out Koops in front of him (like he can do in the overworld). It can pick up items

Up-Smash: A straight upwards headbutt with Goombario

Aerials:

N-air: His in-battle jump attack. Paper Mario jumps on the enemy. If the attack hits, Paper Mario will pop up in the air and can continue hitting his nair again to chain multiple nairs together or to simply using other attacks since the attack is done after the jump. (Pressing "A" right after hitting someone with nair will trigger the "Stylish!" action command where Paper Mario will "taunt" in the air, just like in TTYD) For every consecutive nair that hits, Paper Mario will receive added gravity to prevent it from being overpowered. (Sorry, no infinite jumps!) If missed, Paper Mario will receive moderate endlag. Weak meteor smash in the air, Sakurai angle on the ground.

F-air: He throws his hammer in an small upwards arc a decent distance forward, based on the "Hammer Throw" attack in TTYD

D-air: His ground pound attack. Is a stall-then-fall attack with a powerful spike

B-air: Paper Mario transforms into his paper plane and stabs behinds him in an upwards arc. Sweetspot on the tip

Up-air: He holds up Watt in the air. Sex kick properties, just like Villager's up-air. Is based on when Paper Mario holds Watt in PM64 to light up rooms

Grabs & throws

Grab: Thoreau. Can even grab people in midair (his Zair), though he can only use forward throw in this case, since Paper Mario will hold the enemy with both hands overhead (see F-throw below). If Paper Mario is offstage and grabs someone, it can lead to a "suicide KO". When grabbing someone on the ground, Thoreau will hold the enemy in front of Paper Mario, just like Olimar's grab.

Pummel: Smacks with a Bowser flip-flop

F-throw: Grabs the enemy and carries them overhead with both hands, then tosses the enemy to the ground in front of him

D-throw: Does his "Great!" spin from Sticker Star (in which he spins around in the air two times), then smacks the enemy with his hammer

B-throw: Pulls the enemy like a sticker (like he does in Sticker Star)

Up-throw: Swings his hammer like a golf club to send the enemy flying skywards. Based on the badge "Fire Drive" and uses its very same hammer animation

Specials:

Side special: The chargable spin attack he does in TTYD (overworld version) called "Spin Hammer". Three chargable stages. Press and hold to charge. First stage is weak, second stage is moderate in power and the third one is strong.

Down special: Bobbery (overworld version). When pressed once, Paper Mario will summon Bobbery and hold him overhead. Press the button again to throw him in front of you, in which he will walk forward on his own. Press the special button again to selfdetonate him. Bobbery will explode after a while even if you don't selfdetonate him, even if you are carrying him. The blasts won't damage Paper Mario, just like in TTYD.

Up special: The Spring Jump technique in TTYD. Three chargable stages. When the apex is reached when fully charging this move (that said, when it's "level 3"), Paper Mario will grab hold onto Parrakarry, in which he will fly a horizontal distance. Press the special button again to have Parrakarry drop Paper Mario. If Spring Jump "level 3" hits a ceiling, he will do his "hit the ceiling" animation from TTYD.

Neutral Special: Partner Switch. Choose between seven partners! When the special button is pressed, Paper Mario will look up on a sub menu that appears (animation similar to when Paper Mario wonders what move to choose in a battle), where all partners are shown in a circular pattern, just like in TTYD. In the sub menu, you can choose a partner by going left/right (this will not move Paper Mario) and then by pressing the special button. The partner activates and will join Paper Mario alongside him, following him around, just like in the Paper Mario series. When a partner is out, pressing the special button will allow the partner to attack. Press the shield button to cancel the move (the sub menu). You can even cancel the move (the sub menu) by doing other actions (besides specials). The partners can't be attacked or interacted with (just like when Olimar's Pikmin are standing next to him). The seven partners are:

> Goombella: Headbonk. Goombella will track down the nearest enemy she is facing and walk up to it and attack it

> Kooper: Shell Toss. Kooper goes inside his shell on the spot and spins around in place. The more you press the special button, the stronger and further the move will go

> Bombette: Bomb. When used, Bombette will walk forward with her fuse lit. The more you press the special button, the stronger the blast will be. An on-screen gauge will appear, similar to the move in PM64

> Flurrie: Her overworld flurry ability. A strong wind is being blown in front of her. Has great windboxes that pushes enemies and items far away

> Mini-Yoshi: Gulp. Mini-Yoshi will walk forward a bit and then use his Gulp attack. If it connects, he will spit out the enemy, which becomes a powerful "projectile" with great knockback if it lands on another enemy

> Bow: Fan Smack. When used, she will move forwards. An on-screen gauge will appear, just like in PM64. The more you fill it by tapping the special button, the more slaps she will deliver and the more powerful the last slap will be

> Barry: When used, Paper Mario will attack with a powerful spiky barrier, just like in Super Paper Mario. It is a powerful attack that can also reflect projectiles

Paper Mario having seven partners is a reference to TTYD, where he has exactly seven partners. After a partner has finished using its move, it will go back to the sub menu, where it can be chosen again. There is no limit on how many times you can use a partner. You can use the same partner how many times in a row you want.

Miscellaneous:

Final Smash: His Star Beam attack in PM64. Paper Mario summons all seven Star Spirits in front of him, which will create a giant light pillar. Everyone caught in it will then be attacked by the Star Beam attack, taking multiple hits before getting launched.

Taunts:

> Down taunt: Paper Mario faces the camera and does a thumbs-up pose while saying "Yeah!"
> Side taunt: His "Appeal" command in TTYD, where he waves at the enemy with a big smile on his face
> Up-taunt: The "Got item!" pose in TTYD in which he holds up an item he got while looking at it with the corresponding "Got item!" fanfare playing. The taunt randomly chooses between these items: A mushroom, a fire flower, a shell, a POW block, a badge and a star piece

Dodges:

> Air dodge: He flips over and becomes "superflat". In TTYD, this is done by pressing the R-button in the overworld. (This allows Paper Mario to enter small gaps such as the small space between two boxes)

> Spot dodge: He enters the "3D world" in the background and then reappears back in the "2D world". This originates from Super Paper Mario, where Paper Mario could switch between 2D and 3D with the A-button on the Wii Remote

> Roll dodge (side step): He turns into his paper roll

Victory animations:

1) He does his "Nuh-uh" victory pose from Paper Mario 64
2) He does his thumbs-up pose and then holds his hat and nods, just like in TTYD
3) He does his jumping victory pose in Sticker Star

His victory theme is his victory theme in TTYD

On-screen appearance: He appears out of a warp pipe, with the same animation as in TTYD

Other:

> At the ledge: He has an animation in Sticker Star where he tethers over a ledge while looking down and flailing his arms, balancing to not fall down
> Hanging on the ledge: When grabbing hold onto a pipe after using his Spring Jump in TTYD, he hangs on to it with two hands
> Icon: The Mario series logo, but with a folded vibe to make it look like a Mushroom Sticker, giving it a papery feel
> Idle poses: The yawn animation from TTYD and the "Focus" command from PM64
> Swimming: Transforms into his paper boat
> Paper Mario has animations which can be directly taken from his games. These can be used for: when he sleeps, when he has gotten his shield broken, when shielding, when getting hit by an attack, when jumping and double jumping, when walking, running and crouching, when sleeping, when using assist trophies, etc.
Hi again! I have finally updated and completed this right here! I am pretty content with it. I know it would be better if I showed this in a video so that you actually can see the animations for yourselves, but I have described the moves and everything else at the very least. I feel like when doing a moveset for a character, it is very important to stay as true to the series' games as possible, and I feel Paper Mario is the number 1 character in this regard. It is quite strange that Paper Mario hasn't made the cut yet in Smash, since he wouldn't be that hard to create, with his animations and movesets and whatnot already being present in his games. I actually think Sakurai has had Paper Mario on his radar for quite a while, but has decided that Paper Mario is a low-priority character (for some reason), with even Rosalina becoming a character over/before Paper Mario.

Anyway, I hope you liked my version of Paper Mario's moveset! Here's hoping he becomes a character in Smash Ultimate!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The first two Paper Mario games were my childhood and Thousand Year Door is one of my most favorite games of all time. So, Paper Mario has my full support.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Hey there, I wanted to ask a question to the paper mario fanbase, First i know that dude have moveset potential, and i also think he could work as an echo in worst case scenario and like Link, paper mario and mario coexisting wouldn't be as weird as Samus and Zamus ... but i wanted to ask... how you guys would feel if Paper Mario gets represented with an original character instead of mario?

Would it be awkard, like having Knucles, and NOT sonic representing sonic the hedgehog?
Do you think that the fanbase would be able to get behind one character despite probably everyone having their personal favourites? (something like Rythm Heaven, when there is support for lots of characters, but im pretty sure that everyoen would be happy if one of them gets in even if is not the one you were supporting)
Would people mind if the game reprsented is mostly one (probably thousand years door)

I'm mostly thinking like, how Mario Galaxy is reprsented by Rosalina, instead of mario Galaxy Mario (who could actually been a thing with a completely original moveset)

User Name String

Smash Apprentice
Hey there, I wanted to ask a question to the paper mario fanbase, First i know that dude have moveset potential, and i also think he could work as an echo in worst case scenario and like Link, paper mario and mario coexisting wouldn't be as weird as Samus and Zamus ... but i wanted to ask... how you guys would feel if Paper Mario gets represented with an original character instead of mario?

Would it be awkard, like having Knucles, and NOT sonic representing sonic the hedgehog?
Do you think that the fanbase would be able to get behind one character despite probably everyone having their personal favourites? (something like Rythm Heaven, when there is support for lots of characters, but im pretty sure that everyoen would be happy if one of them gets in even if is not the one you were supporting)
Would people mind if the game reprsented is mostly one (probably thousand years door)

I'm mostly thinking like, how Mario Galaxy is reprsented by Rosalina, instead of mario Galaxy Mario (who could actually been a thing with a completely original moveset)
The problem with that is that not only is Paper Mario the only recurring character and that his character has been fleshed out over other options, he also is very distinct from Mario due to the Hammer, Paper abilities, stature, and even visually.

I just don't know any other character fleshed out enough for Smash. The only characters that I can potentially see getting support from the fanbase over Mario is Vivian from TTYD or Huey CS and it just wouldn't fell right.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151

I think that most of us would be cool with another Paper Mario character getting in (assuming it's a popular character like Vivian or Dimentio), it just wouldn't make a whole lot of sense considering Paper Mario's established popularity and, as you said, the idea of a side character making it before the main character. I think there's a good reason why Paper Mario is the most supported character in the series. We don't necessarily care for Paper Mario as a character on his own, we just want the Paper Mario series to be represented in Smash with a character, and there's no one better to represent the series than Paper Mario himself. No other character can represent the series the same way that he can because they don't share his abilities or unique gimmicks, yet he can theoretically represent popular partner characters by implementing them into his moveset. Therefore, having Paper Mario as a fighter is a win-win situation. You get to play around with Paper Mario's tools, and you get to see cameos from a number of fan-favorite characters from the series.

And just to clear things up, that's one of the reasons he wouldn't work as an echo fighter. Outside his proportions not matching Mario's, it wouldn't make anybody happy because we want to see Paper Mario representing the Paper Mario series and all its charm, not representing the "character" Paper Mario. Hopefully that makes some amount of sense?

Yoshi 2410

Smash Cadet
Has it ever happened to you guys that no matter how many movesets you see or make, you're never satisfied with them? As in "that's not Paper Mario in Smash-worthy"

Top Bottom