• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Palutena Support Thread

VA

Smash Hero
Well well what an update we have had today. One of the coolest things is the shot we have seen of a mysterious woman standing just in front of the camera and facing Pit.

Obviously the general assumption is that this is Palutena. Here is a little background on her

Palutena is the benevolent Goddess of Light, ruler of the kingdom of Angel Land, and guardian of Three Sacred Treasures (the Mirror Shield, Arrow of Light, and Pegasus Wings). Before the events of Kid Icarus and its sequel she shared sovereignty with Medusa, the Goddess of Darkness. Palutena used her powers for the good of mankind, to warm the earth and make crops grow. However, Medusa hated humans and used her power to undo Palutena's work. As punishment, Palutena transformed Medusa into a hideous monster and banished her to the Underworld.

Medusa, consumed with bitterness, swore revenge on Palutena. By forming an alliance with the evil monsters and spirits of the Underworld she was able to gather enough power to overwhelm Palutena's army. A surprise attack on Palutena's forces set the precedent for the war between the goddesses, with Medusa winning decisively at the final battle. Medusa captured Palutena and seized the Three Sacred Treasures, entrusting them to her most powerful servants.

Realizing that the only hope for her conquered people was the courageous angel Pit, Palutena used the last of her power to free him from Medusa's prison in the Underworld and bestow upon him a sacred bow with limitless arrows. Pit was able to subsequently retrieve the Three Sacred Treasures, defeat Medusa, and liberate his queen.

Palutena then had a prophetic dream of her beloved Angel Land being attacked by an army of demons. She rushed to the oracle, who confirmed that the army was led by Orcos, a demon of terrifying power. Palutena quickly summoned Pit and told him of the impending crisis. She then sent Pit on a mission to obtain the Three Sacred Treasures and to become strong enough to oppose Orcos' evil might. After defeating Orcos, Palutena thanked Pit for once again protecting the peace and prosperity of her kingdom.

The hair looks pretty similar no? Well what more can I say other than that I really hope she is playable as I thinks he would be an AMAZING addition to Brawl :D

Show your appreciation for her here folks :)

Pieman0920

Smash Master
It's possible that she's playable, seeing as she has a redesign like Pit. (Though that could just be to match up with Pit, and not signal that she's in) Sure would be unexpected., that's for sure Does she have any abilities? (Shield fighting? Staff fighting?

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
I knew people would think that she's playable.

I personally don't think so. The Kid Icarus series doesn't have enough merit, in my opinion, to include two characters. There hasn't been an original game for what, 15 years? I feel that there are a lot more 'deserving' characters than her. Characters from recent franchises, or characters from older franchises with more games who haven't been represented yet.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
I agree with Smash Fan and FDW; Kid Icarus just isn't a big enough franchise to merit two characters. Also, in the update Sakurai said that there would be incorporated histories in story mode that would move along by quick movies, which is what I think is going on here; Pit is asking her for help or getting his bow from her to go into battle.

Chibirobo

Smash Ace

I personally don't think so. The Kid Icarus series doesn't have enough merit, in my opinion, to include two characters. There hasn't been an original game for what, 15 years? I feel that there are a lot more 'deserving' characters than her. Characters from recent franchises, or characters from older franchises with more games who haven't been represented yet.
As cool as that would be,if the F-Zero can't get more than one rep,neither can Kid Icuras. She's probably just apart of Pit's storyline,she may even be his final smash?

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Ah c'mon... I'd expect gullibility of this sort from Nsiders, not on SWF...

Recall what Sakurai wrote in the update:

"The Adventure mode also emphasizes character development. You’ll see many famous characters persevering under the weight of their personal histories, shouldering their unique burdens... It’s really something you won’t see anywhere else."

The only reason she's shown in the cinematic at all is because of Pit's side of the story. She may be featured as an AT, but I highly doubt that she'd make it as a playable...

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
I have a feeling Brawl wants to increase the amount of female playable characters in Brawl. Smash Bros. only had Samus.
Melee has Samus, Sheik, Peach, and Zelda.
Brawl will have Zelda, Peach, Samus, Zamus. Most likely Sheik, too. I think Palutena would be a fine female addition to the line-up unless anyone believes there's another female in Nintendo that should be more requested to be played. Like... Midna... :psycho:

Fawriel

Smash Master

I love how I could draw a better picture than that. Tee hee.

But, yeah. While I could think of far worse characters, it's very likely that these screenshots that hers is a part of, are just part of the complete opening sequence ( note that the video cuts off suddenly, it still goes on ), as the other pictures show different characters noticing the Halberd and encountering the puppets and everything.
Palutena probably sends Pit on a mission to "This World..." to help the fighters fight off this threat.

Narpa's Sword

Smash Rookie
The Runaway Five was in the opening movie for smash brothers melee, but they were not playable characters.

... Ridley too!

I would not get your hopes up until real news of confirmation arrives.

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
The Runaway Five was in the opening movie for smash brothers melee, but they were not playable characters.

... Ridley too!

I would not get your hopes up until real news of confirmation arrives.

Pardon my stupidity,but who is the Runaway Five?

VA

Smash Hero

To be honest I think that "merit" has nothing to do with it. Just look at the Marth and Roy, two characters almost completely unheard of outside of Japan, I don't know how many games they feeature in but I am guessing it's not more than 2 :ohwell:

It's impossible to predict what Sakurai will do however that screen give me a little bit of hope of yet another playable female character.

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
sure Brawl needs more female characters. and sure she would be a welcomed addition. but If anything just like everyone else i see her as just being in the cutscenes and maybe an AT. so if you saw waluigi would you assume he's in? Sakurai said many characters will make apperances in adventure mode doesnt mean all of em will be playable somehow. Im not saying she sucks as a character and yes we are in dire need of more female fighters that doesnt mean hey heres a capable female fighter let's make her playable. if you go by that then there would be alot of female fighters already in ssb. but that's not the case and theres a reason for it.

and Marth and Roy was added in melee who knows why. but they aint gonna be in brawl. hence why Ike has been revealed. he's internationally known where as marth and roy haven t been until melee. merit has alot to do with it. otherwise we would have just a bunch of characters just for the sheer amount. and that would be a disaster.

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
To be honest I think that "merit" has nothing to do with it. Just look at the Marth and Roy, two characters almost completely unheard of outside of Japan, I don't know how many games they feeature in but I am guessing it's not more than 2 :ohwell:

It's impossible to predict what Sakurai will do however that screen give me a little bit of hope of yet another playable female character.
But it does. I know Marth and Roy were unheard of outside of Japan until Melee, and that's why they weren't going to be in the game until the American audience responded positively to them.

Roy was put in the game to promote a new game, and Marth was the main character in two Fire Emblem games. The thing with Fir Emblem is that it doesn't have a main protagonist of the series. The main character changes with practically every game, so they needed a character to represent the franchise. Who better than the original main character, Marth?

Whereas Palutena was a character in both games of the Kid Icarus franchise. Only two games. Pit is a popular character. It doesn't matter that he only had two games. He was the main character, and the Kid Icarus series is seen by many old time gamers as being classic. That gives him the merit to get in the game. Palutena is a secondary character, the damsel in distress, of the Kid Icarus series. When a series with only two games that has been absent from the gaming world for 15+ years includes it's protagonist as a character, it just simply does not deserve a second character, in my opinion.

Kirby has loads of games, and only now is his series getting its second character. The F-Zero franchise has only one character, and currently the Metroid series only has one character (ZSS Samus doesn't count because she's the same character as Samus.)

In my opinion, it makes no sense to put her in when she's so minor. There are so many characters whose franchises need to be represented who would also make a better character than her.

VA

Smash Hero
This thread is not claiming that Palutena is playable, I am simply giving some background knowledge about her and putting the idea forward that she is now more likely to be playable :S I think you misunderstood what we were trying to say :ohwell:

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
Maybe so, but creating a thread on a character in the Brawl Character Discussion room is basically saying that you'd like to see her in the game, and there are actually a few people replying saying they'd like her to be in, or that they think she could be in, etc.

I'm just saying why i don't think she should be in.

VA

Smash Hero
But it does. I know Marth and Roy were unheard of outside of Japan until Melee, and that's why they weren't going to be in the game until the American audience responded positively to them.

Roy was put in the game to promote a new game, and Marth was the main character in two Fire Emblem games. The thing with Fir Emblem is that it doesn't have a main protagonist of the series. The main character changes with practically every game, so they needed a character to represent the franchise. Who better than the original main character, Marth?

Whereas Palutena was a character in both games of the Kid Icarus franchise. Only two games. Pit is a popular character. It doesn't matter that he only had two games. He was the main character, and the Kid Icarus series is seen by many old time gamers as being classic. That gives him the merit to get in the game. Palutena is a secondary character, the damsel in distress, of the Kid Icarus series. When a series with only two games that has been absent from the gaming world for 15+ years includes it's protagonist as a character, it just simply does not deserve a second character, in my opinion.

Kirby has loads of games, and only now is his series getting its second character. The F-Zero franchise has only one character, and currently the Metroid series only has one character (ZSS Samus doesn't count because she's the same character as Samus.)

In my opinion, it makes no sense to put her in when she's so minor. There are so many characters whose franchises need to be represented who would also make a better character than her.
Your argument fails on one main premise: Sheik.

A minor character from one of the Zelda games, recently confirmed to be present in Brawl. With Kid Icarus being such a fan favourite and with the likelyhood of an eventual remake it makes sense that they make playable some of the cahracters from the franchise.

VA

Smash Hero
This thread is not claiming that Palutena is playable, I am simply giving some background knowledge about her and putting the idea forward that she is now more likely to be playable :S I think you misunderstood what we were trying to say :ohwell:
this wasn't aimed at you smash fan it was aimed at tstumo

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
1) It is quite obvious that it's Palutena.

2) Everyone and there sister brought this up when they saw the screenshot.

3) Why did you double post?

4) If you aren't suggesting her as a playable character, then why did you put this in the character discussion forum?

5) Obviously she won't be in the game....she is a female diety.

VA

Smash Hero
1) yes I said that in the first post

2) yes but there is no official palutena thread for discussion

3) it was a double post because I didn't want to wait to tell smash fan that I wasn't aiming my first post at him

4) I AM suggesting her as a playable cahracter, not confirming her as in because of the screenshot

5) this warrants no response, stop flaming and go home.

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
Sheik has not been confirmed. I'm not saying that she won't be confirmed, but just because that interview said that they'd submitted character designs does not mean that she'll be playable, or even in the game. It just means that they submitted the design.

Again, i'm not saying that she won't be, because she probably will be.

Besides, that doesn't negate my argument. Sheik is Zelda. They're the same person, just in disguise. The reason Sheik was included in Melee was because the Zelda characters were the OoT designs (albeit updated graphically). In OoT Zelda disguises herself as Sheik. Sheik is also a good character for fighting, so she was put in as one of Zelda's moves.

Like i said, Kid Icarus is a small franchise. They put the main character in, sure, but why would they put more in? It's a small franchise. It'd be like putting the polar bear from Ice Climbers in as a playable character.

Why put a secondary character from a small franchise in the game, when there are much bigger franchises out there that haven't even been represented yet?

EDIT - No problem, vanityangel.

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
Palutena is probably apart of pit's storyline,or possibly an At or Pit's Final Smash.

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
1) yes I said that in the first post

2) yes but there is no official palutena thread for discussion

3) it was a double post because I didn't want to wait to tell smash fan that I wasn't aiming my first post at him

4) I AM suggesting her as a playable cahracter, not confirming her as in because of the screenshot
There is no official thread on it because there is no way in the sweet heavens that Palutena would be a playable character in Brawl.

VA

Smash Hero
Sheik has not been confirmed. I'm not saying that she won't be confirmed, but just because that interview said that they'd submitted character designs does not mean that she'll be playable, or even in the game. It just means that they submitted the design.

Again, i'm not saying that she won't be, because she probably will be.

Besides, that doesn't negate my argument. Sheik is Zelda. They're the same person, just in disguise. The reason Sheik was included in Melee was because the Zelda characters were the OoT designs (albeit updated graphically). In OoT Zelda disguises herself as Sheik. Sheik is also a good character for fighting, so she was put in as one of Zelda's moves.

Like i said, Kid Icarus is a small franchise. They put the main character in, sure, but why would they put more in? It's a small franchise. It'd be like putting the polar bear from Ice Climbers in as a playable character.

Why put a secondary character from a small franchise in the game, when there are much bigger franchises out there that haven't even been represented yet?

EDIT - No problem, vanityangel.
Basically, there is no argument over her worth. IMO she is much more worthy than a **** character like Krystal who I have seen suggested left right and centre on boards and she has been in two games of starfox, both ****. In Starfox Adventures she stayed stuck in a Crystal for the entire game and who knows about Armada or whatever they decided to call it because nobody owns it.

Anyone can crop up in Brawl and personally I think it's good thing to have an expansive selection of characters from the new franchises, and comparing Palutena to Polar Bear from Ice Climbers is beyond a joke my friend...

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
I hope by "new franchises" you mean new to Brawl. And once again, Palutena has never been a playable character. So I fail to see how they would come up with a moveset.

And also once again, SHE IS A GODDESS.

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
I don't really care about Krystal being in, either.

Put it this way. If Palutina were in the game and Olimar (for example) was not, i'd be pissed. Simply because she'd be replacing a character from a franchise that could be in the game, when she isn't needed to represent her small franchise, because the protagonist already is representing them.

EDIT - Unless something really substantial in her defense is said, i'm gonna leave this thread to rest. Just know that i think that including her would be a waste of a character spot.

Moleman

Smash Rookie
Palutena looks see-through in that screen shot. I wonder what that could be about?

Copperpot

Smash Ace
Why are you being so condescending, Vagrant? There's no Palutena thread; Vanity made one.

The fact that you don't support the idea doesn't make your mindless slander any less tasteless, and it's not just this thread. I've seen similar negativity from you in others; read the stickies before posting, please.

Now get out of the support thread if you don't want to support it.

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
Why are you being so condescending, Vagrant? There's no Palutena thread; Vanity made one.

The fact that you don't support the idea doesn't make your mindless slander any less tasteless, and it's not just this thread. I've seen similar negativity from you in others; read the stickies before posting, please.

Now get out of the support thread if you don't want to support it.
Glad you feel sympathy for the OP.

If only that could change the fact that there is 0 chance she will be playable. But by your logic it is cool to post opinions towards something but not against. That would make for awesome discussion!

RyuDragonKing

Smash Journeyman
OK... I dont rly wanna be flamed, but I'll say this anyway. I dont think Palutena will be in the game for a couple reasons; First, she's a goddess. If they put in an allpowerful goddess, there'd be no point in playing other characters. Second, shes been in two games, both of which involved her being kidnapped and sending Pit weapons.

Lastly, it'd be impossible to make a moveset out of her, because of 1 little detail: Zelda already has the magic user position taken up. Even if they nerfed Palutena to be a regular fighter, she'd be a carbon copy of Zelda, minus Shiek. And honestly, who wants that?

For the record, I DONT WANT FLAMES. You people flame, then you can just have a nice little discussion on all the reasons she should be in the game. What a debate that'll be! So c'mon, lets have a fun debate-not a friggin flame war.

Black/Light

Smash Master
OK... I dont rly wanna be flamed, but I'll say this anyway. I dont think Palutena will be in the game for a couple reasons; First, she's a goddess. If they put in an allpowerful goddess, there'd be no point in playing other characters. (. . . See Mew2) Second, shes been in two games, both of which involved her being kidnapped and sending Pit weapons. (. . . So?)

Lastly, it'd be impossible to make a moveset out of her, (How the hell is that?) because of 1 little detail: Zelda already has the magic user position taken up. (. . .Good goddess thats not smart) Even if they nerfed Palutena to be a regular fighter, she'd be a carbon copy of Zelda, minus Shiek. (. . . .*sigh*) And honestly, who wants that?

For the record, I DONT WANT FLAMES. You people flame, then you can just have a nice little discussion on all the reasons she should be in the game. What a debate that'll be! So c'mon, lets have a fun debate-not a friggin flame war.
Do I think she will be playable? Maybe, maybe not. Only time will tell.
Do I think you all have any good reasons as to why she wont be playable? Hell no.

RyuDragonKing

Smash Journeyman
KO TIME!!!

Let's see, Mewtwo? How is that an all powerful god? Hes a clone of a demi-god-type-thing.

You wanna know what my point is for Palutena only sending weapons...? That's just it; If all she can do in the games is send weapons and get captured, think of how much fun she'll be as a fighter!

Moveset: Post a good moveset for her and we'll debate this. But you're right about one part, I did word that wrong. It's not that Zelda has it taken up, just that it'd be impossible to make a moveset for a magic user who doesnt do anything. And I'm guessing the sigh is because you can't think of a good argument?

Then, pray tell, give me a reason why Palutena WILL be in Brawl.

Link Sharingan

Smash Ace
OK... I dont rly wanna be flamed, but I'll say this anyway. I dont think Palutena will be in the game for a couple reasons; First, she's a goddess. If they put in an allpowerful goddess, there'd be no point in playing other characters. Second, shes been in two games, both of which involved her being kidnapped and sending Pit weapons.

Lastly, it'd be impossible to make a moveset out of her, because of 1 little detail: Zelda already has the magic user position taken up. Even if they nerfed Palutena to be a regular fighter, she'd be a carbon copy of Zelda, minus Shiek. And honestly, who wants that?

Mewtwo and Ganondorf are supose to be allpowerful but they still in the game ,and there been games that a normal human hero defeat a God.

also dint Miyamoto mention on E3 2005 or E3 2006 that nintedo were waking a new Kid Icarus for Wii?

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
Mewtwo and Ganondorf are supose to be allpowerful but they still in the game ,and there been games that a normal human hero defeat a God.

also dint Miyamoto mention on E3 2005 or E3 2006 that nintedo were waking a new Kid Icarus for Wii?
No, they didn't.

And another good reason is because probably only 100 people in the world actually recognized the name prior to everyone looking up Kid Icarus after this last update.

Top Bottom