• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
So next week Tueday i should be making my MA tournament debut. I'm really looking forward to it.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Lets go bro you got this.
Thanks man.

I had thought it was impossible but I really have fallen in love with this game again even after customs got banned. I've been playing really well online and I am confident I can make a strong showing at my next in person tourney. Unfortunately the commute is a bit expensive so even though this is a weekly tournament I will not be attending every week unless I'm able to make friends and carpool with someone.

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
Thanks man.

I had thought it was impossible but I really have fallen in love with this game again even after customs got banned. I've been playing really well online and I am confident I can make a strong showing at my next in person tourney. Unfortunately the commute is a bit expensive so even though this is a weekly tournament I will not be attending every week unless I'm able to make friends and carpool with someone.
Thats rough man, i think you could do it

Trying to really use fruit canceling and super glide tossing more

Last edited:

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Good stuff @ Zage Zage at Xanadu. You played well. One habit I noticed is when you go for up b and land in the middle of the stage. You get punished for it a lot ( especially when your opponent is at a low percent ). Instead, go for the ledge when using up b. It's hard for them to obstruct your ledge options in that position. Other then that, you did great. You got this next time.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Thats rough man, i think you could do it

Trying to really use fruit canceling and super glide tossing more
I use a 3ds controller I don't think it's possible to do the super glide toss with that. They're a bunch of things I wanna incoprorate into my game before that anyways.

I'm going to watch the live stream from the previous weekly over the weekend to see what I'm up against. Hopefully I don't psyche myselfout XD

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Something random about the sheik matchup. Utilt cleanly beats bouncing fish and power pellet blocks the hit for us in the air.

Edit:
Also, since Bonus Fruit keep their hurtbox while they are being charged, any attack that hits the bonus fruit go through heavy hitlag and delay the hit long enough for us to quickly roll, powershield, or cancel it into a b move.

I would recommend charging bonus fruit in the face of aerial approaching characters. Especially those with overhead swinging attacks like the swordies (except robin) and sheik.

Last edited:

Zage

Smash Journeyman
Good stuff @ Zage Zage at Xanadu. You played well. One habit I noticed is when you go for up b and land in the middle of the stage. You get punished for it a lot ( especially when your opponent is at a low percent ). Instead, go for the ledge when using up b. It's hard for them to obstruct your ledge options in that position. Other then that, you did great. You got this next time.
Thanks! You're right about the bad up-b's, they're apart of a long list of bad habits I still have to break.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Something random about the sheik matchup. Utilt cleanly beats bouncing fish and power pellet blocks the hit for us in the air.

Edit:
Also, since Bonus Fruit keep their hurtbox while they are being charged, any attack that hits the bonus fruit go through heavy hitlag and delay the hit long enough for us to quickly roll, powershield, or cancel it into a b move.

I would recommend charging bonus fruit in the face of aerial approaching characters. Especially those with overhead swinging attacks like the swordies (except robin) and sheik.
The reason that doesn't work so well vs shiek is that she can just needle you.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
So for that weekly I'm going to, its bigger than the weekly I went to back in Central Jersey so that's intimidating but makes the trip more worth while. The characters who made it winners semis last week were Marth, Toon Link, Sonic and Luigi, so overall that bodes well for me but I'm going to go into this super humble, taking it one match at a time.

On a different note to my surprise I'm ranked number 1 in challonge 3ds tournaments right now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/wiki/rankings_smash43ds

Take it with a grain of salt since I happen to know Nameless and Zxl ranked beneath me are stronger players than I am but are inactive. Doesn't mean a whole lot but its still nice. :)

BSP

Smash Legend
I've been thinking that we should re-evaluate just how bad a stolen fruit is when we've got the lead. Ever since that patch that stopped characters from being able to do jabs, tilts, etc. while holding an item, everyone is quite limited when holding an item on the ground.

Think about Falcon holding your cherry, strawberry, or orange. He loses his grab, dash grab, jab, all smashes, and all tilts in exchange for a projectile that does 4/6/8% and won't KO you at any reasonable %. He also can't instant launch your hydrant from the ground, except maybe with a close range falcon kick that you'll punish. You lose your fruit, but he loses so much more.

TBH, outside of....maybe Robin (who will run out of spells...replenishing your shield), who can apply long / mid range pressure to us that we can't pellet heal or hydrant tank consistently while holding our fruit? Maybe Sonic due to speed and spin dashes, but Brawlman has been ignoring my fruit as of late unless it's a bell because he loses his key options. Actually, if Sonic spindashes at you with your fruit and you clank with it, you're going to win the boxing war unless his item toss is F4 or less. You can also shield with full confidence because he can't grab you with a fruit in hand.

It's just a thought though. I bring it up because I see Pac-Men start playing a bit more aggro when their fruit gets stolen, even if they have the lead. Play smarter, not harder.

Of course, I could be an outlier here. I'm wiling to time people out even when I'm just screwing around in FG lol.

A good example I remember seeing in a real match was Abadango vs MVD at Evo. I know Abadango had a lead, but I don't remember by how much. He threw a melon, and it got stolen. Abadango proceeded to playing a quite bit more aggro while MVD did his best to hold the melon and still apply pressure.

IIRC, the stage was smashville. My question is why not just grab the ledge or sit on the SV platform? Or sit there and hit trick shot back / pellet heal off of clay pigeon? Meanwhile, throw hydrants around with the intention of disruption.

All of this being said, don't let people take your fruit for free all day. On the flip side, don't tunnel vision retrieving your fruit if it gets stolen, unless it's a bell or key. Even then, I wouldn't go into panic mode or anything.

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
soo...
http://youtu.be/3X4LN3OZTuE

ZeRo thinks we're high tier
For all the wrong reasons lol.
When he mentioned stalling I wished he had mentioned the hydrant as well as the trampoline. As Shiek the Hydrant is very effective while the trampoline is not but against the majority of characters than not I think the trampoline does the better job of slowing things down. The true beauty of the character is in using both to warp the neutral though.

@ BSP BSP : if you have the lead the just put a trampoline or hydrant in front of you. You literally have nothing to fear.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
soo...
http://youtu.be/3X4LN3OZTuE

ZeRo thinks we're high tier
For all the wrong reasons lol.
Eh, some of those reasons are legit... That said he doesn't seem to have a good grasp on how our character works at all, which makes sense. Has he ever played Abandago? I know he played Zage once. Has he played any other Pacman players?

I've been thinking that we should re-evaluate just how bad a stolen fruit is when we've got the lead. Ever since that patch that stopped characters from being able to do jabs, tilts, etc. while holding an item, everyone is quite limited when holding an item on the ground.

Think about Falcon holding your cherry, strawberry, or orange. He loses his grab, dash grab, jab, all smashes, and all tilts in exchange for a projectile that does 4/6/8% and won't KO you at any reasonable %. He also can't instant launch your hydrant from the ground, except maybe with a close range falcon kick that you'll punish. You lose your fruit, but he loses so much more.

TBH, outside of....maybe Robin (who will run out of spells...replenishing your shield), who can apply long / mid range pressure to us that we can't pellet heal or hydrant tank consistently while holding our fruit? Maybe Sonic due to speed and spin dashes, but Brawlman has been ignoring my fruit as of late unless it's a bell because he loses his key options. Actually, if Sonic spindashes at you with your fruit and you clank with it, you're going to win the boxing war unless his item toss is F4 or less. You can also shield with full confidence because he can't grab you with a fruit in hand.

It's just a thought though. I bring it up because I see Pac-Men start playing a bit more aggro when their fruit gets stolen, even if they have the lead. Play smarter, not harder.

Of course, I could be an outlier here. I'm wiling to time people out even when I'm just screwing around in FG lol.

A good example I remember seeing in a real match was Abadango vs MVD at Evo. I know Abadango had a lead, but I don't remember by how much. He threw a melon, and it got stolen. Abadango proceeded to playing a quite bit more aggro while MVD did his best to hold the melon and still apply pressure.

IIRC, the stage was smashville. My question is why not just grab the ledge or sit on the SV platform? Or sit there and hit trick shot back / pellet heal off of clay pigeon? Meanwhile, throw hydrants around with the intention of disruption.

All of this being said, don't let people take your fruit for free all day. On the flip side, don't tunnel vision retrieving your fruit if it gets stolen, unless it's a bell or key. Even then, I wouldn't go into panic mode or anything.
Agreed. I've come to see this as a minor inconvenience UNLESS the opponent has the life lead. Then it depends on MU; some characters can easily time you out when they have your fruit, others can't.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Eh, some of those reasons are legit... That said he doesn't seem to have a good grasp on how our character works at all, which makes sense. Has he ever played Abandago? I know he played Zage once. Has he played any other Pacman players?
I meant when he said that we lose to every top tier and that the main reason we are high tier is because the hydrant demands sooo much respect. ...did he forget that the trampoline exists?

He also claims that we have to play campy 24/7 and can't derive from that strategy without losing. Sure, maybe against luigi and falcon, but against people like wario? Nah son.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Zero said we lose to all top tiers? Tell that to fox when I back throw him off stage and throw oranges at him over and over again until his stock is gone, or Yoshi that's always in the air and can get comboed with the galaxion and die from the bell or the key early when punishing an egg toss LOL.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Zero said we lose to all top tiers? Tell that to fox when I back throw him off stage and throw oranges at him over and over again until his stock is gone, or Yoshi that's always in the air and can get comboed with the galaxion and die from the bell or the key early when punishing an egg toss LOL.
Or tell that to luigi when I sit on the other side of the stage for 5 minutes laughing as he struggles to skip over the trampoline.

ZeRo doesn't know what he's talking about to be honest

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ

Mario123311

Smash Ace
I agree, somewhat. If he had to have a voice, I would pick him but I would rather have him be silent.
It makes him seem more cartoony and less realistic. People know pacman for the fun of his games and recognize the various noises. It would be better if we had more pacman sound effects than unfamiliar voice actors.
I agree with that. I basically don't mind him staying silent ((Though Sakurai totally blew it with having a 'certain' Star-KO sound. You may know what I mean =P))

Whenever I imagine Pac-Man speaking... I just have to say it needs to be Sherman IMO. I am okay if Pac-Man sounds like a child I guess. ((Pac-Man 2, Adventures in Time, Party)) but only if they are simple grunts and whatnot. Sherman gave Pac-Man a charm though pretty much having the voice I always imagined the character having when I was a kid. And I was pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I agree with that. I basically don't mind him staying silent ((Though Sakurai totally blew it with having a 'certain' Star-KO sound. You may know what I mean =P))

Whenever I imagine Pac-Man speaking... I just have to say it needs to be Sherman IMO. I am okay if Pac-Man sounds like a child I guess. ((Pac-Man 2, Adventures in Time, Party)) but only if they are simple grunts and whatnot. Sherman gave Pac-Man a charm though pretty much having the voice I always imagined the character having when I was a kid. And I was pleasantly surprised.
Completely agreed. I really don't like Pac-Boy lol. Sherman was charming and matched the personality that pacman portrays through his actions.

And yes. Not having the death sound for PacMan's star KO was a massive oversight

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze
And yes. Not having the death sound for PacMan's star KO was a massive oversight
What makes it worse imo is that he has his classic death noise in that weird Beyblades-esque top game on the 3DS vesion, but not in actual matches.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
Unless I get extremely unlucky with school, I should be making an appearance at both MLG Worlds and Smash the Record in October. I'll be training as hard as I can to do as much damage as possible.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Well I wasn't and will not be able to attend that weekly that's near me so that kinda sucks. But there are two monthlies in my area that I should have access to. I'll try attending those. I'm going to miss the fun of getting to know people around this game every other week or so though.

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
One of the worst things that can happen in the end game is doing the Hydrant Bell trick with a "whiffed" grab as a bait and then the opponent walks right into it. Because now I grabbed him and the bell hits but doesn't matter cause I grabbed him, my smash attack opportunity is gone, and the surprise factor is as well. Now I'm like now what?

Also when they decide to jump high enough to clear the smash but low enough that they still are stunned so I can't get the KO.

NimbusSpark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NimbusSpark
One of the worst things that can happen in the end game is doing the Hydrant Bell trick with a "whiffed" grab as a bait and then the opponent walks right into it. Because now I grabbed him and the bell hits but doesn't matter cause I grabbed him, my smash attack opportunity is gone, and the surprise factor is as well. Now I'm like now what?

Also when they decide to jump high enough to clear the smash but low enough that they still are stunned so I can't get the KO.
This is essentially why you'd most likely want to use a jump-canceled Up Smash instead of F-Smash due to it still retaining a bit of momentum before the attack, within a similar manner to Fox and Mewtwo's Up-Smashes, whilst still retaining great kill potential.

BSP

Smash Legend

Your "whiffed" grab should be a pivot grab. Not only will what you're describing not happen, but it seems a lot more like an input error when you grab in the wrong direction.

Paper Maribro Paper Maribro not much. school is kicking into full gear which is annoying, but I'll manage.

Does the patch hit tonight? Our KO data for this patch should be around here somewhere. I know I'll do a 1 minute replay of me spamming grab so that we have a comparison for when the patch hits.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Haven't been in here a while

How's everyone been? What's new?
You left us :crying:

Everything is cool. Trying to improve my organizing skills irl.

In regards to smash, I've been working on footstool combos. Already found a kill confirm on sonic at 87% and I plan to record tomorrow.

BSP BSP
Yeah, the patch hits at 3:00 am eastern time.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend

In regards to smash, I've been working on footstool combos. Already found a kill confirm on sonic at 87% and I plan to record tomorrow.

BSP BSP
Thanks man.

Unfortunately, I'm expecting us to be glossed over once again. I really hope we get some sort of grab buff, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace

BSP BSP
I've had a bit of a difficult time as of late and have only recently overcome my issues. Didn't mean to go for so long but I kinda forgot about my Pac bros. I'm back to stay though :) <3.

If you guys were interested, here's all my recent results http://qldsmash.com/Players/WA?p=Maribro. As you can see, I've been a bit all over the place in terms of characters and placings. :p

Sounds sexy, nice work! All the best to figuring out your organising skills though. I'm still trying to fix that aspect of myself.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I'm surprised no one is talking about the patch.

Grab is noticeably faster, but Nair took a nerf. I'm not sure how I feel about that TBH.

Also the hydrant glitch is once again gone.

EDIT: Seeing the other thread I'm seeing you guys saying the grab is unchanged. Are you certain about this? It definitely seems to not linger at all right now.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Last edited:

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze
Thinkaman's data shows Pac is unchanged.

Now the environment around him is a changed. Supposedly more than Melee levels of hit stun.

BSP

Smash Legend
I'm surprised no one is talking about the patch.

Grab is noticeably faster, but Nair took a nerf. I'm not sure how I feel about that TBH.

Also the hydrant glitch is once again gone.

EDIT: Seeing the other thread I'm seeing you guys saying the grab is unchanged. Are you certain about this? It definitely seems to not linger at all right now.
I got 48 grabs out in 1 minute in this patch. I got the same amount in the previous one.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Thinkaman's thread is also very wrong right now. It says ZSS is unchanged and if nothing else her DownB spike is SIGNIFICANTLY weaker. Same with Pika who had his Dthrow massively changed.

Also just to make sure I'm not tripping, Nair did 12% right? Right now it's down to 10.

BSP

Smash Legend
Thinkaman's thread is also very wrong right now. It says ZSS is unchanged and if nothing else her DownB spike is SIGNIFICANTLY weaker. Same with Pika who had his Dthrow massively changed.

Also just to make sure I'm not tripping, Nair did 12% right? Right now it's down to 10.
Nair always did 10%.

If we're going off feels, the only thing I really felt was different was galaxian's knockback. I feel like the base knockback got lowered or something, but I have no way to prove this.

If you feel like grab's startup was changed, go into training mode and start Sonic's Dsmash and Pac-Man's grab at the same time. Both have F12 startup unless one of them changed. If Pac-Man gets hit, grab is not any faster.

Last edited:
Top Bottom