• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
You do stuff with other characters, then see how you can translate it to Pac. He's that flexible.

For example, I play Mewtwo, with whom I am quite fond of baiting reactions with slow moving baby shadow balls. This leads to me using melons quite a bit.
Exactly. I personally think the more you learn about the whole game through trying all kinds of things in it, the truly better you get.

BSP

Smash Legend
Welp, abadango has decided to focus on MK as much as possible. I don't blame him. He'd fight people with Pac Man and win with 1 stock and mid high %. Then he'd go MK and quickly two stock them.

Unless kool aid makes a resurgence or someone else steps up to the national mantle, Pac man is going to fall off the radar.

Meaning people will be even more likely to fall for stuff they shouldn't. Meh, but fine with me.

Last edited:

verbatim

Smash Ace
He's been using him pretty consistently against Diddy Kong, and he's been posting content regarded to z-drop combos that are better in 1.1.1+, which at least demonstrates that he's not abandoning the character. I'd expect to see him bring him out as a counterpick character, kind of like how ZeRo falls back on Diddy whenever he loses or nearly loses as Sheik.

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Welp, abadango has decided to focus on MK as much as possible. I don't blame him. He'd fight people with Pac Man and win with 1 stock and mid high %. Then he'd go MK and quickly two stock them.

Unless kool aid makes a resurgence or someone else steps up to the national mantle, Pac man is going to fall off the radar.

Meaning people will be even more likely to fall for stuff they shouldn't. Meh.
Zage Zage Sinji Sinji are you guys going to ktar XV this weekend? I know kool-aid is. It would be really cool to have the top 3 pacmans in America at the same tourney.

Hopefully prove bsp wrong.

BSP

Smash Legend
Zage Zage Sinji Sinji are you guys going to ktar XV this weekend? I know kool-aid is. It would be really cool to have the top 3 pacmans in America at the same tourney.

How would that be proving me wrong? That's exactly what I said would need to happen in order for him to not fall off the radar.

Side note: messing around in FG and running into decent players, I'm finding that even good players tend to hold shield when I'm going for an (i think) obvious hydrant water -> trampoline/push offstage -> Fruit/Side B. I'm still working on optimizing execution. I've come really close to side B'ing people after edge slips, but I barely miss. On the plus side, it's still a fairly safe KO attempt.

It'd be a huge buff if our trampoline stayed out long enough so that both hydrant water spurts would push into it. Those little things go a long way.

Actually now that I think about it, Pac-Man's Hydrant Water is probably one of the only things in the game that can force edge slips. Once people realized how dangerous they were in brawl, you could never pull them off because they'd roll or something. No one is going to expect getting pushed off by rage water. This might be something we should seriously consider when we're fighting at SV or T&C. I guess BF too, but the platforms are tiny there.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
How would that be proving me wrong? That's exactly what I said would need to happen in order for him to not fall off the radar.

Side note: messing around in FG and running into decent players, I'm finding that even good players tend to hold shield when I'm going for an (i think) obvious hydrant water -> trampoline/push offstage -> Fruit/Side B. I'm still working on optimizing execution. I've come really close to side B'ing people after edge slips, but I barely miss. On the plus side, it's still a fairly safe KO attempt.

It'd be a huge buff if our trampoline stayed out long enough so that both hydrant water spurts would push into it. Those little things go a long way.
Considering you can refresh the trampoline at pretty much any time it's not a huge deal how long they stay out really.

BSP

Smash Legend
Considering you can refresh the trampoline at pretty much any time it's not a huge deal how long they stay out really.
It could be. Let me rephrase. I've been going for setups like:

_______Hydrant_______Opponent______________Trampoline

...for a while now after I trampoline people into the air at high %. The intention is to have the water push shielding opponents into the trampoline. Even if I place a fire hydrant as soon as possible after I land from the initial trampoline hit, it disappears before the second spurt of water can push people into it. If I delay for even a little bit, sometimes the first water spurts won't make it in time either. If it stayed just a bit longer, we'd have more flexibility in using it as a trapping tool to get our KOs. IE an opponent throwing a double jump after they get trampolined wouldn't invalidate the setup entirely.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Bsp my point is that we don't really need some savior Pac man player. We already have strong ones

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839

I'm going to a NYC regional called the Great Salt Offensive this Saturday. I'll be teaming with Jtails. Ktar can wait for another time.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I'm going to a NYC regional called the Great Salt Offensive this Saturday. I'll be teaming with Jtails. Ktar can wait for another time.
NY and NJ holding a regional on the same day? Geesh these thats dumb.

Zage

Smash Journeyman
No Ktar for me, but I am glad to hear that Koolaid is going though. Does he play solo Pac-Man again?

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
No Ktar for me, but I am glad to hear that Koolaid is going though. Does he play solo Pac-Man again?
he has been playing more Pac man lately but I think he is still co maining him with Fox.

You just don't feel like going? I know a bunch other people from md/va are going.

BSP

Smash Legend
PEPESPAIN PEPESPAIN fromundaman fromundaman I just got meteored through my trampoline in a FG match, even though I wasn't touching it when I got hit. I saved the replay, but I'm certain that we can get spiked through it now once the knockback hits a certain threshold.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
NY and NJ holding a regional on the same day? Geesh these thats dumb.
Yea. Great Salt Offensive was planned weeks before Ktar was ever planned. Then Keitaro set Ktar on the same day and since Ktar is Ktar, everyone is going to that.

BSP

Smash Legend
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=83OdP2HIE4s

I'm positive I wasn't touching it. I sat on the revival platform for a few seconds because I was mad that happened.

Edit: Pacman9 made a post about how Pac-Man isn't really a defensive zoner, and I'm beginning to agree. While I do think we benefit from doing that in certain MUs like Little Mac and Luigi, we usually don't gain that much from sitting mid range and throwing things without some setup going on. All of the fruits are easy to catch/block/negate/whatever when used by themselves. They're only remotely threatening if Pac-Man is doing something else along with them. Hydrant is similar. It's ok at best as a wall, but it's pretty great for forcing people where they don't want to be.

Remember how I would complain about trampolining people for 7% and that being the end of it? I'm having much better results now that I'm planting hydrants right after I do that to manipulate people into my recently set trampoline. I kill them if they stay in shield, and I can punish anything else they do. It still isn't easy, but it's progress. All of our unblockable stuff is unblockable for a reason, so we need to make use of it.

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I cannot believe koolaid who plays Fox opted to go Pac man against false(number 1 shirk in nj) and 2-0d him

BSP

Smash Legend
I cannot believe koolaid who plays Fox opted to go Pac man against false(number 1 shirk in nj) and 2-0d him
TBH, I feel like I know so much, yet so little about this character at times.

Who streamed KTAR? I want to see VODs now.

Last edited:

ZeoLightning

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeoLightning
3DS FC
5455-9919-4674

I'm positive I wasn't touching it. I sat on the revival platform for a few seconds because I was mad that happened.

Edit: Pacman9 made a post about how Pac-Man isn't really a defensive zoner, and I'm beginning to agree. While I do think we benefit from doing that in certain MUs like Little Mac and Luigi, we usually don't gain that much from sitting mid range and throwing things without some setup going on. All of the fruits are easy to catch/block/negate/whatever when used by themselves. They're only remotely threatening if Pac-Man is doing something else along with them. Hydrant is similar. It's ok at best as a wall, but it's pretty great for forcing people where they don't want to be.

Remember how I would complain about trampolining people for 7% and that being the end of it? I'm having much better results now that I'm planting hydrants right after I do that to manipulate people into my recently set trampoline. I kill them if they stay in shield, and I can punish anything else they do. It still isn't easy, but it's progress. All of our unblockable stuff is unblockable for a reason, so we need to make use of it.
My play style is very offensive and aggro, i feel like atm, the most we know how to play pac and the best results have come from counter play/ defensive. im hoping to attend more tourneys to push myself and my pac playstyle more to push a new meta for pac

BSP

Smash Legend
My play style is very offensive and aggro, i feel like atm, the most we know how to play pac and the best results have come from counter play/ defensive. im hoping to attend more tourneys to push myself and my pac playstyle more to push a new meta for pac
Yeah I say our best results come from passive aggressive play. As Pacman9 said earlier, buy time to get whatever item you want, then go to town on people. Another thing to consider is the fact we're one of the few characters that can generate an item that can be used infinitely for z drops. They don't blow up like bombs or randomly disappear.

verbatim

Smash Ace
Because Koolaid himself has said that sheik is a good matchup for us...
Did not see the match but I feel like Pacman does better than Fox.

Unless Sheik grabs fruit and goes for the timeout she doesn't really have any specific thing that destroys Pacman, she wins because she's good. In Fox's case he dies every time he's knocked of stage.

I would never call it positive Pacman but I think it's a lot better than people give credit. He has great OOS options and a HUGE amount of ways to mix up his recovery plus a needle shield that she can't break with any one move.

Also Koolaid's listed as having played Doc in that tour, does anyone have any idea when or where he did that?

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
TBH, I feel like I know so much, yet so little about this character at times.

Who streamed KTAR? I want to see VODs now.
It was streamed by rushhoursmash

Also Koolaid's listed as having played Doc in that tour, does anyone have any idea when or where he did that?
I know he goes doc against Fox but no idea for what other matchups

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496

I've been absent from the forums for a while, but I do want to apologize for doubting you; I actually had this happen in tournament to me yesterday too, but with a super weak spike at mid %s (Rosa Dair). I think it may be some sort of specific timing after using the trampoline where it goes inactive? IDK. I've been bounced back from super strong spikes like Roy's, Yoshi's, Ganon, Mario etc. at 100%+, yet this Rosa Dair spiked me through it from like 1.5-2 character lengths above it at around 60%.

On a side note, I'm hype. I've been attending a lot more events lately with mixed success. Made 10/90 at a regional recently, then got bopped at Rebirth but took some names on the way out, then yesterday I went to an inexplicably small tournament (Super advertised, pre-reg only tournament that only ended up with 40 people) that attracted pretty much our whole PR (Admittedly our PR is ****). Managed to pull 4th while knocking out 3 of our PR; I am super hype.

I was told by our #3 or #4 (I forget), a ZSS main, that I am being carried by Pacman XD I got a kick out of that.

EDIT:

Are KoolAid's matches up yet? I want to watch these.

I also still think Pac does well against Shiek TBH.

As of right now the only MUs I truly hate are ROB (Getting slightly better about it though), Kirby and Falco. Might be just me but no other character really scares me right now.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
If you're impatient for youtube vids like I am:

http://www.twitch.tv/rushhoursmash/v/28505184 - 47:42 for koolaid vs False; he plays Tweek around the 1 hour mark.

I feel like he wasn't throwing enough hitboxes out vs tweek. Wario has mobility, but his range isn't exactly the best. Pac-Man can jump around with Bair and Uair pretty safely.

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze
As of right now the only MUs I truly hate are ROB (Getting slightly better about it though), Kirby and Falco. Might be just me but no other character really scares me right now.
For me its Mario and Robin. I played a Robin last night in bracket and it was easily one of the most frustrating things I've done in my Smash career. Robin can camp us hard and its really hard to get in on them. Well it was hard for me at least.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
If you're impatient for youtube vids like I am:

http://www.twitch.tv/rushhoursmash/v/28505184 - 47:42 for koolaid vs False; he plays Tweek around the 1 hour mark.

I feel like he wasn't throwing enough hitboxes out vs tweek. Wario has mobility, but his range isn't exactly the best. Pac-Man can jump around with Bair and Uair pretty safely.
Oh I thought you would have told us about everything False was doing wrong and how Pac man should not have won the match lol.

I think Wario is a tough much matchup because even though we win the neutral he survives forever because Pac man isn't great at killing and he is very heavy with high mobility and then only needs one correct read to kill us with the fart.

Koolaid essentially lost to the fart.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
But you do have to take into account that we are free to spam DA on his shield due to his frame 8 grab. This allows us to continuously fish for an early kill at 60% with DA -> bell->side B

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
Oh I thought you would have told us about everything False was doing wrong and how Pac man should not have won the match lol.

I think Wario is a tough much matchup because even though we win the neutral he survives forever because Pac man isn't great at killing and he is very heavy with high mobility and then only needs one correct read to kill us with the fart.

Koolaid essentially lost to the fart.
Well, since you brought it up, False did go after the hydrant for no reason one time.

I was more concerned with what Koolad wasn't doing tbh in terms of being picky. Basically no galaxian or fruit outside of Bell, Key, and orange sometimes. It's understandable though, because sheik holding your fruit going for a timeout is a problem.

ZeoLightning

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeoLightning
3DS FC
5455-9919-4674
Well, since you brought it up, False did go after the hydrant for no reason one time.

I was more concerned with what Koolad wasn't doing tbh in terms of being picky. Basically no galaxian or fruit outside of Bell, Key, and orange sometimes. It's understandable though, because sheik holding your fruit going for a timeout is a problem.
well Koolaid plays pac way different from the likes of say abadango, but he shows that knowing the matchup can be a true benefit

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Really, There is one simple answer why I like Pac over Klonoa honestly...

It still makes me mad Namco themselves don't even try to acknowledge these games here. And we have the new Sonic-Ripoff Pac who's so far tainted his reputation sadly.

Last edited:

Zage

Smash Journeyman
You really have to appreciate the level that Koolaid's footsies are at. Jab alone made the Shiek MU look really easy.

Kaiyedy

Smash Cadet
I'm back after taking a break from Smashboards. Any new tech/combos I missed (since the dream-patch discussion)?

BSP

Smash Legend
You really have to appreciate the level that Koolaid's footsies are at. Jab alone made the Shiek MU look really easy.
I don't remember who said it, but someone said Koolaid plays neutral as if Pac-Man isn't any different from any other character. Obviously he doesn't go for grabs, but he doesn't seem to prioritize setting up trampoline or hydrant that much. I wonder if he was doing that for sheik in particular, or does he prefer to attempt out boxing people even without a grab.

For reference, Day (lucario player from FL) said that if I am a 3 on the 1-5 scale for Pac-Man, Koolaid is a 5. Apparently he's that good, but he doesn't seem to be doing anything extraordinarily different from usual Pac-Man stuff. Maybe he's proof that fundamentals remain the most important thing to have.

You can tell nobody plays Pac-Man because any time a Pac-Man player gets on stream, his tips show up frequently. I do wonder why they did not include tips for the galaxian and bell, arguably his best fruits.

Last edited:

Zage

Smash Journeyman
Maybe he's proof that fundamentals remain the most important thing to have.
That's the conclusion I came too, which is understandable since alot of Pac-Man are focused on gimmicks and setups.

ZeoLightning

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeoLightning
3DS FC
5455-9919-4674
now having watched the set I'll be honest though, false seems to not be doing all that well, the Down air mixup was REALLY risky on a PAC-MAN and Koolai did a side B on stage that coulda been punished with Up smash. im not discrediting him or anything, but i think that was matchup inexperience from False. I think PAC completely loses to shiek still. but Koolaid played very well.

The second match is the PRIME example of footstool possibilities for combo's, i Def gotta learn that timing

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Considering the fact that both abadango and Koolaid have notable wins against excellent shieks (shu, rain, and now false)

It's about time we stop exaggerating the difficulty of the matchup and start changing our approach to the matchup.

Last edited:

ZeoLightning

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeoLightning
3DS FC
5455-9919-4674
Considering the fact that both abadango and Koolaid have notable wins against excellent shieks (shu, rain, and now false)

It's about time we stop exaggerating the difficulty of the matchup and start changing our approach to the matchup.

i feel if a PAC main became a shiek main, that shiek main could win the matchup with ease. its not impossible but its certainly not easy.

but you're right we do need to change the way we approach the matchup,

Kaiyedy

Smash Cadet
I was messing around in the lab and found that down throw combos into bell to up smash at about 70% (depending on character). Is this a true combo or would it just be a useful mixup?

Last edited:
Top Bottom