• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

BSP

Smash Legend
Zage Zage I see your match vs Seagull show up on youtube and I'm thinking "I'll watch this and see why Seagull thinks Pac-Man is 50-50"

Then I see it's 30 minutes long...oh wait it's only 15, the video is two sets in one for some reason.

I'll tag Joe him when someone else makes a post, but he is giving you way too much respect after you trampoline. Every time Pac-Man misses a trampoline, Sonic can run into it and either start a spin dash or homing attack. More often than not, homing attack will hit Pac-Man, and even if it doesn't, Sonic can usually get away without punishment unless Pac-Man has a key. Spin dash or charge will probably hit, and even if they don't, Sonic can usually avoid punishment.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
i feel if a PAC main became a shiek main, that shiek main could win the matchup with ease. its not impossible but its certainly not easy.

but you're right we do need to change the way we approach the matchup,
I actually have that in my local scene; our matches are always fairly close despite the fact he is a far better player than me (Probably 2nd best in the state TBH).
I have never taken a set off of him in tournament no matter what character he and I go just because he's better, but when we play Pac/Shiek (Both of our mains), it gets close.

I really think some of you overestimate the Shiek MU; I don't feel it's that bad if you know how to play against Shiek. Don't give her your fruit, always have a hydrant down as a wall and avoid kill moves (Not actually super hard to do; she has only a few ways to effectively set up kills), and the MU becomes a lot harder for her.
I honestly think it's a 50/50 MU, and more in Pac's favor if the Shiek player isn't ready for Pac things (Then again, that last part is true of every MU).

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Them glitches though!

Don't worry, just found another one that actually benefits us (Well... IDK if it's a glitch, but pretty certain it's not intended to exist. I'll put it in the tricks thread).

BSP

Smash Legend
Question: Can Pac-Man use the hydrant to ledge cancel?
Yes

Zage Zage watching your match vs dunno bro, you're focusing on charging fruit more than you're focusing on hitting Mario. Go into to training mode as Mario and shoot some fireballs, then you'll realise just how much of a commitment they are. PacMan can Fair punish him pretty easily. You're not going to have any shot of keeping Mario out if you don't contest him when he's coming in.

For fruit, do as Sinji Sinji suggested and stick with orange and Key for punishes. I wouldn't bother going for many setups because of how easily cape counters them.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
What are Pac's BNB combos, and what do you do to edgeguard? Getting bored of my current main, deciding to main Pac-Man now: a tourney's coming in a few days and I wanna prepare as much as I can. Having played him many times in the past I know some of what he's capable of: pellet shielding, fruit canceling, his godly OoS options, z-drop shenanigans, ledge traps and zoning with the hydrant, things like that. But what I never fully learned were his combo options and all the ways he has of offstage harassment, and I wanna practice those and Fruit canceling with all the time I got today and tomorrow.

All I know is:
Fair > Fair
Fair > Nair
Dash Attack > Uair
Galaxian > Dash Attack *catch Galaxian*> Galaxian > Uair
Uair > Fair/Nair?

But there's gotta be more than that, isn't there? And I dunno how, but I've always ad problems edgeguarding those who like to recover low a lot, especially with invincible/high priority UpB's like :4mario:'s (I've tried ropping hydrants on him, but his UpB just seems to plow right through it anyway). I know I can drop Hydrants, z-drop, oranges, apples, toss a bell (I need to get into the habit of using it more though), and go off for Bairs, but somehow it usually doesn't work.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Bruh, can't believe that killed at such low %!

Also I have found that I am TERRIBLE at connecting Side B after bell. I envy all of you.

BSP

Smash Legend
Alright boys, zero hour is approaching. We've got possibly the last patch coming up, and our grab is still trash. What are you guys hoping for?

I want 1 of two things:

1) opponents get knocked in the direction Pac-Man is going once he trampolines
2) make grab...work please

Otherwise :(

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Alright boys, zero hour is approaching. We've got possibly the last patch coming up, and our grab is still trash. What are you guys hoping for?

I want 1 of two things:

I want the dead zones in the grab removed and for us to not do that stupid bounce thing we do after we land from the trampoline. I think we have more lag than most characters do after they up b

Kaiyedy

Smash Cadet

I want 1 of two things:

Things I'd like to see:

1) Galaxian damage returned to 11%
2) fix grab so hitbox extends to hand, of which becomes active for the whole grab (not just until the beam retreats)
3) make key kill 10-20% earlier
4) increase knock back on up air
5) make d tilt not miss if you're too close
6) kill throw.

What I'm probably going to see:

BREAKING NEWS: Pacman is untouched whatsoever and sheiks fair now has a hitbox the size of final destination.

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
I want Pac-Man to be my plus one at social events but I think that might be asking for too much from Sakurai.

EDIT: Wait, Pac-Man Amibo fills this role so nevermind.

Last edited:

verbatim

Smash Ace
Hopeful: 1-2% buff on any one thing that doesn't break combo's.

Doubtful: I should never not be able to grab someone in front of me because they are too close.

Insane: Upthrow kill throw.

Last edited:

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
Actually I want it so no one can run through the hydrant, that would be nice. Yes it's because of ZSS.

Kaiyedy

Smash Cadet
So apparently they didn't touch Pac at all again...

And then buffed Lucas' grab instead.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
So... can we talk about Dtilt, and how we are all dumbasses for not abusing the **** out of this move?

I've been messing around with it recently, and I realized that while we all wrote it off long ago due to how it used to be a worse version of Ftilt, at some point it did get much better, probably during the shieldstun patch.

Right now, Dtilt is one of our only true safe on block moves. Hell, it's not even just safe, it's positive on block, and by a large margin. Dtilt on shield leads to a guaranteed jab frametrap (Any sort of shield drop is punished by jab, forcing the opponent to respect your Dtilt follow ups). Because of this, and it's fast startup, jab cancels into Dtilt are INCREDIBLE.
On hit, they sometimes combo into each other (% dependent), but most of the time the opponent can buffer shield in between jab 2 and Dtilt. What this means is that on successful jab hits, you can buffer into a move that will either act as a stronger ender OR set up an even dumber frame trap.
On block, jab2>Dtilt is *almost* safe, but can be punished, though delaying jab 3 is an effective mindgame if you think the opponent is trying to punish a jab cancel. I have as of right now never seen jab 1>Dtilt punished, even when I loop this on people's shields (Though I have seen people eat either hit, meaning they must have tried to do something).

This gives us some pretty stupid shield pressure and mixups.

Dtilt could actually be the non-setup solution to people trying to shield against us.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
So... can we talk about Dtilt, and how we are all dumbasses for not abusing the **** out of this move?

I've been messing around with it recently, and I realized that while we all wrote it off long ago due to how it used to be a worse version of Ftilt, at some point it did get much better, probably during the shieldstun patch.

Right now, Dtilt is one of our only true safe on block moves. Hell, it's not even just safe, it's positive on block, and by a large margin. Dtilt on shield leads to a guaranteed jab frametrap (Any sort of shield drop is punished by jab, forcing the opponent to respect your Dtilt follow ups). Because of this, and it's fast startup, jab cancels into Dtilt are INCREDIBLE.
On hit, they sometimes combo into each other (% dependent), but most of the time the opponent can buffer shield in between jab 2 and Dtilt. What this means is that on successful jab hits, you can buffer into a move that will either act as a stronger ender OR set up an even dumber frame trap.
On block, jab2>Dtilt is *almost* safe, but can be punished, though delaying jab 3 is an effective mindgame if you think the opponent is trying to punish a jab cancel. I have as of right now never seen jab 1>Dtilt punished, even when I loop this on people's shields (Though I have seen people eat either hit, meaning they must have tried to do something).

This gives us some pretty stupid shield pressure and mixups.

Dtilt could actually be the non-setup solution to people trying to shield against us.
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
I saw this coming and never labbed it...!

Well, can't wait to abuse the hell outta this lol.
Another important thing to remember is that Dtilt has disjoint at the snap of his mouth.

I use it to beat spaced attacks

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
fromundaman fromundaman are you sure?

Jab's FAF is 20. The opponent should be able to shield grab you in time unless our jab got a massive shield stun boost.
I know that Dtilt to jab is guaranteed.

Not sure if jab1>Dtilt is or isn't, but I have yet to see it punished.

That said, I'm depressed again. The knowledge that at very low % Bair is unsafe on hit makes me question life.

BSP

Smash Legend
I know that Dtilt to jab is guaranteed.

Not sure if jab1>Dtilt is or isn't, but I have yet to see it punished.

That said, I'm depressed again. The knowledge that at very low % Bair is unsafe on hit makes me question life.
A few of our aerials aren't safe at the lowest %'s. Fair, Bair, and Uair. They definitely want Pac-Man to have combos, but we pay the price when we get screwed by rage.

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
I'm finding that very low % is about charging to key and getting enemies to 15%.

So much is unsafe before 15% that its almost not worth it to do anything except fruit spam until they're past that "everything is unsafe" stage.

Zage

Smash Journeyman

Am I crazy or did the 2nd Fair auto cancel/have less landing lag than usual?

Last edited:

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318
Guess what, Theres another Pac in Japan that's not Ginko,aba,dee. His name is Tea and o boy, this guy made me go back the lab with some of the things pulling. He took Rain to Game 3 and has some of the best Fruit play ever seen and thats saying something lol. If I get a Vod I'll post it

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
http://www.twitch.tv/dabuz18/v/31906844 Found the vod for Tea vs Rain it starts a 57 mins. Its on Dabuz stream because its the only one I can use right now
I saw it and Tea is incredible!!!!!!
I've never been so in love with pacman play before.

It would be a lot better if Dabuz and the chat didn't keep spouting nonsense about how pacman can't do anything against sheik or rosa.
But oh well. The match is well worth it.

Edit: watched it a couple more times and my conclusion is:

Tea had the greater knowledge of pacman in terms of setups and tricks, but abadango has far superior fundamentals. Tea has a very bad air dodging habit that cost him the game.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496

Am I crazy or did the 2nd Fair auto cancel/have less landing lag than usual?
It looks like he frame canceled it. Didn't know you could do that with our Fair. Looks like the timing could be really easy too since all he did was FF the 2nd Fair as soon as he came out.

Is... is this a way to make Fair safe on shield? My hopes are rising exponentially... Please don't let me down game!

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
http://www.twitch.tv/dabuz18/v/31906844 Found the vod for Tea vs Rain it starts a 57 mins. Its on Dabuz stream because its the only one I can use right now
I'm still trying to know how to do that advanced Z-Drop thing Tea does. I know how to Z drop in general but when he drops it with air dodge then regrabs it and drops it again in one jump. That was godlike.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I'm still trying to know how to do that advanced Z-Drop thing Tea does. I know how to Z drop in general but when he drops it with air dodge then regrabs it and drops it again in one jump. That was godlike.
I think I figured it out.

You can buffer a z drop on the first frames of your air dodge to z drop right before you go into the air dodge animation. Some of us know how to do this, but the tricky part is that he does it from the ground. Air dodge -> z drop vey quickly

I'll call it the "slip fruit" for now just to make this easier to explain.

He does a SH slip fruit -> into another slip fruit as he lands.

It is incredibly hard to do this out of a sh because you have to contort your fingers quickly. I may need to change my controls for this lol

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I swear playing large tournaments online reminds me of the ultra campy bobbing and weaving Pacman that I used to play on the 3ds that made the entire 3Ds ladder hate me last when I was ranked top 5. I had a pikachu player in Grand finals and I came from winners and he just spammed thunder jolt and quick attack when he saw opportunity, he 3-0'd me. And when the bracket reset I just set up camp with my trampoline and hydrant, not staying behind them so much as circle camping around them. I won 3-1 but I really shouldn't have lost a set. Perhaps its because the stage list on the WiiU is different but Idk why I dropped this style if play. Its very effective.

It was streamed so I'll upload the matches, I think everyone should watch it just to see a more novel style of playing.

Top Bottom