• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Welll...
It's not exactly novel per say. That's what most of the pacman board thought his default playstyle was before players/innovators like Sinji and I started introducing more offensive styles of play.

Your play sounds a lot like Zage's current play but without the z drop hydrant launches.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Welll...
It's not exactly novel per say. That's what most of the pacman board thought his default playstyle was before players/innovators like Sinji and I started introducing more offensive styles of play.

Your play sounds a lot like Zage's current play but without the z drop hydrant launches.
From what I've seen of Zage's play its really not the same. Its something you kinda have to see to understand. It got to the point where I feel like I could have gone minutes without throwing out hitboxes. Its not playing a trapped based style as opposed to playing completely reactive while restricting there movement. Perhaps its not novel at all, but its nothing something I can ever remember seeing anyone else do.

edit: Apparently that tournament I won (2gglory) is the largest WiiU monthly. Esam is already confirmed for the next one.

Last edited:

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
From what I've seen of Zage's play its really not the same. Its something you kinda have to see to understand. It got to the point where I feel like I could have gone minutes without throwing out hitboxes. Its not playing a trapped based style as opposed to playing completely reactive while restricting there movement. Perhaps its not novel at all, but its nothing something I can ever remember seeing anyone else do.

edit: Apparently that tournament I won (2gglory) is the largest WiiU monthly. Esam is already confirmed for the next one.
It sounds a little like the strategy I've been trying recently of trying to timeout everyone regardless of how much time is left or how much of a lead I have. I would get the lead and not approach if I don't have to. Then when they do get close I tend to run away while potshotting them and possibly setting up a trap to do more damage if they chase. It seems to be doing alright.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I placed 4th in singles today. I couldn't make it to Dabuz in bracket but I played him in a best out of 3 set. It was 2-1 in his favor. all three matches were close. I was playing mostly aggressive against him putting him bad spots and throwing my fruits at different times. The bell around 80% is Pac-Man's best kill option against Rosalina. Bait out the Gravitational pull then throw it. We both agree that Pac-man should play aggressive in not only that match up but in the overall meta game. He then said playing super campy won't get Pac-Man players that far. The two matches I lost to him was me getting punished for my grab attempts.

So basically, Set ups are still key but we need to implement more of a boxing game with our aerials/jabs/tilts etc.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I placed 4th in singles today. I couldn't make it to Dabuz in bracket but I played him in a best out of 3 set. It was 2-1 in his favor. all three matches were close. I was playing mostly aggressive against him putting him bad spots and throwing my fruits at different times. The bell around 80% is Pac-Man's best kill option against Rosalina. Bait out the Gravitational pull then throw it. We both agree that Pac-man should play aggressive in not only that match up but in the overall meta game. He then said playing super campy won't get Pac-Man players that far. The two matches I lost to him was me getting punished for my grab attempts.

So basically, Set ups are still key but we need to implement more of a boxing game with our aerials/jabs/tilts etc.
Excellent! Now we have even top players agreeing with our vision for pacman.
Which puzzles me as to why you still play so defensively against John#s. I understand that wii fit's boxing game is good, but your Bair and Dtilt are crucial in CQC. You started doing better as soon as you turned the aggressive switch on.

Did he say anything about how good the matchup is for pacman? From what you say about the matches, It would seem like he should now know that the matchup is even (if not partially in or favor)

Last edited:

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Excellent! Now we have even top players agreeing with our vision for pacman.
Which puzzles me as to why you still play so defensively against John#s. I understand that wii fit's boxing game is good, but your Bair and Dtilt are crucial in CQC. You started doing better as soon as you turned the aggressive switch on.

Did he say anything about how good the matchup is for pacman? From what you say about the matches, It would seem like he should now know that the matchup is even (if not partially in or favor)

Yea I noticed my bairs were doing work on him, but it was too late. I'll get him next time. He didn't say exactly how good of a match up it is but he did state the pros and cons of Rosa vs Pac-Man. My guess is that the match up is even based on what he explained.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Nu~ Nu~ I mastered his slip fruit. I buffer L after I press z a second time while being in the air. Can we call it "Super Z drop" since it applies to all items?

AGES

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snicks
Super Z Drop is really really good OOS and as an overall defensive option, it's basically an airdodge with a hitbox. You still have to be crafty though since people can airdodge into your fruit and grab it if they time it right. Depending on the character they may be difficult to punish after they grab it so watch out.

Also Tea's play vs RAIN at the Niconico tourney was crazy. He only lost that game by personal misplays IMO and I think is starting to show where Pac Man's meta is headed. Those super z drop keys tho

verbatim

Smash Ace
Nu~ Nu~ I mastered his slip fruit. I buffer L after I press z a second time while being in the air. Can we call it "Super Z drop" since it applies to all items?
Do you know if you can alter your timing to pick it up at different parts of your jump? Right now I can only do this at the apex of either jump.

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
PEPESPAIN PEPESPAIN Any chance you could amake a video explaining how to do this. I don't usually learn Pacman tech but this seems like the sorta thing where you should drop the character if you're not committed to learning it.

verbatim

Smash Ace
you have to airdodge at the apex of your jump (i.e., no upward momentum). I wouldn't sweat it if you can't do it at first or even at all (I don't think I'm going to be doing this in tours for a while/ever), that Tea got it that many times was just Rain not learning from his mistakes.

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
PEPESPAIN PEPESPAIN Any chance you could amake a video explaining how to do this. I don't usually learn Pacman tech but this seems like the sorta thing where you should drop the character if you're not committed to learning it.

I labbed this and I know How to do it. I'll do a video ASAP :) It is really easy

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Does anyone know if the Item Hurler bonus effect truly does increase the amount of damage that PAC-MAN's Bonus Fruit can deal? I know that it can be picked up by others, but it's still a curious question that has been on my head lately.

verbatim

Smash Ace
I haven't specifically tested this but I'd bet that it would. Bonus Fruit is coded as an item, which is why Villager doesn't increase its power when he pockets it, and why rage and staling don't affect the fruits.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I'm so emo right now.

Played against Ally in tournament on Saturday. Game one he BODIES me with a 2 stock.
Game 2 is a complete reversal, I am in complete control. He is at 120% last stock when he finally takes my first. I come down and continue doing my ****..... and then I somehow manage to SD at 10%.
I was so sad, and I think Ally was even more mad about it than I was at the time.
I think this is now my worst choke ever.

BSP

Smash Legend
I'm so emo right now.

Played against Ally in tournament on Saturday. Game one he BODIES me with a 2 stock.
Game 2 is a complete reversal, I am in complete control. He is at 120% last stock when he finally takes my first. I come down and continue doing my ****..... and then I somehow manage to SD at 10%.
I was so sad, and I think Ally was even more mad about it than I was at the time.
I think this is now my worst choke ever.
At least you did better than me. I didn't SD, but I don't think I had the lead for long in any of the games I played Ally...except when I went Mario xp

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Since it's been uploaded, witness my shame:

Never before has man choked so hard...
I'm more happy at the fact that you were able to reverse body ALLY of all people. Take that into consideration fam, you now know that you can compete with the top AND you showed that pacman has the CQC to compete with Mario.

Excellent work man :)

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I have been playing around with PAC-MAN's Lazy Fruit custom special move, and apparently, if you can pick up the items that you throw, you can make them deal more damage than normal if PAC-MAN is given the Item Hurler equipment.

However, Lazy Fruit does have some inconveniences, which can make it rather tricky to take advantage of the Item Hurler bonus effect.

verbatim

Smash Ace
I have been playing around with PAC-MAN's Lazy Fruit custom special move, and apparently, if you can pick up the items that you throw, you can make them deal more damage than normal if PAC-MAN is given the Item Hurler equipment.

However, Lazy Fruit does have some inconveniences, which can make it rather tricky to take advantage of the Item Hurler bonus effect.
Just Lazy Fruit?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Just Lazy Fruit?
That custom special move allows the fruit to stick around longer. PAC-MAN actually has to be holding onto the fruit (he picks up the fruit "after" throwing it) in order to get the attack power boost from the Item Hurler bonus effect.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Can someone please explain the properties of dash attack to me. Sometimes when I used it on my opponents shield I stay in front of them, end slightly behind or their shield doesn't slow me down at all and end up when behind. I lost a set to a high profile player because the 3 option happened to me and I didn't expect it. Does anyone know what causes this?

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I don't main Pac-Man but, I got to say I really like the creativity behind this character. He is such a stylish character. I really wish this character is more popular in Tournament play. I love all of Pac-Man's setups. Do you guys have any videos of se fruit combinations? I heard Abadango dropped Pac-Man is this true?

(:4pacman: vs :4bayonetta:will be one stylish matchup)

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
Why is it that Pac-Man whiffs almost everything at close range? Fsmash, Grabs, Fruit Toss, etc. It makes me mad.

FightingPorygonTeam

Smash Apprentice
I found out that Pacman vs Rob on Battlefield is not fun for Pacman. You have no time to charge fruits, and Rob can do evil things when you're on a platform.

verbatim

Smash Ace
You want to ban Battlefield pretty much always against ROB and Olimar, since they have an EXTREMELY good keep away game in the space in front of them and benefit greatly from the protection the platforms provide.

watch Dabuz vs Fatality at Smash Con, apart from demonstrating what I'm talking about it is legitimately one of THE best recorded sets of 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IE-KgMNsTw

Last edited:

verbatim

Smash Ace
So have we verified whether or not Tea is a different translation of Dee? They play kind of similar and the names sound similar as well.

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318
So have we verified whether or not Tea is a different translation of Dee? They play kind of similar and the names sound similar as well.
Tea is far more advanced With Z-drops than Dee. (unless Dee got significantly better with Z-drops)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Hmmm... Not much has happened in here since the last time I stopped in.

I just wanted to stop in and say that while I don't think anyone should solo main Pacman anymore, he makes an EXCELLENT game 2 character.

Reasons:

1) No one is banning FD.

2) It makes adaptation hell. I am currently going Bayo/Pac (Yeah, I 5.99'd), and good luck adapting when mid set you go from an aerial character that requires you to sit back and wait for an opening to a character who flips the neutral upside down when given prep time. Usually game 2 catches them off guard and puts them on tilt, and game 3 I can finish with either character easily. In fact switching back to Bayo on game 3 seems to work extremely well since Pacman is so different that all of their energy goes into trying to figure out what is going on, which no longer applies when I go back to Bayo game 3.

3) Depending on your other character, it can leave you with no bad stages. This in turn can make counter picking you difficult.

4) This might be just because I also play Bayo, but people who know I play both characters now intentionally CP me to good Pacman stages to get me to switch off of Bayo.

_________

I would definitely suggest not opening with Pacman unless it's a MU like Little Mac, and instead keeping him for game 2 and/or 3.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Any Pac-Man players want to help me figure out the Greninja/Pac-Man MU? Preferably in the EU, otherwise just with a good connection to the UK.

verbatim

Smash Ace
If you can hunt him down elaxio is on the french PR and co-mains both of them, otherwise PEPESPAIN's probably reasonably close to you connection wise.

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Am I the only one that thinks that Pac-Man has alot potential and that he could possibly be High Tier?

Top Bottom