• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

BSP

Smash Legend
Am I the only one that thinks that Pac-Man has alot potential and that he could possibly be High Tier?
I used to think this, but I'm starting to think he's bottom 15 :/ Everything you can argue for making him strong can be used against him, along with some other core flaws.

Pacack Pacack I hate to drag our conversation out of xzx's thread, but I want to tag you. I want to point you to Kamekushi vs Earth from EVO 2016 as a great example of why getting people offstage when they shield is huge at high level.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I used to think this, but I'm starting to think he's bottom 15 :/ Everything you can argue for making him strong can be used against him, along with some other core flaws.

Pacack Pacack I hate to drag our conversation out of xzx's thread, but I want to tag you. I want to point you to Kamekushi vs Earth from EVO 2016 as a great example of why getting people offstage when they shield is huge at high level.
I don't think he's Bottom 15. He has so much going for him to be a low tier.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ

I now agree that he's pretty bad...but bottom 15?

That sounds so awful dude :/

BSP

Smash Legend
I don't think he's Bottom 15. He has so much going for him to be a low tier.
Like what?

I now agree that he's pretty bad...but bottom 15?

That sounds so awful dude :/
Yes. Dabuz put him in bottom 15 too. He didn't delve into specifics, but like he said, Pac just isn't scary if you understand how he works. (actually said if you're willing to time him out, but w/e)

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Like what?

Yes. Dabuz put him in bottom 15 too. He didn't delve into specifics, but like he said, Pac just isn't scary if you understand how he works.
Yeah I just watched the stream archive. He's not wrong either.

No one knows the matchup and even less people are willing to play slow against him (and abuse sheild)

BSP

Smash Legend
Aw, the fun thread got closed.

I wanted to tag @Locke 06 and Teshie U Teshie U . I didn't believe you two at first, but you both pointed out flaws with pac man that I now acknowledge as critical. It's a shame it took me so long to notice.

Locke, you were right about his fruits. They're just not that threatening compared to the other charge B moves. He can 0-40% you with galaxian, but you can just...not get hit. Key takes >2 seconds to charge and only deals 15% lol.

Teshie, you told me about his trampoline not giving him an advantaged state after beating shield. I thought 7% at a time was enough back then, but that just doesn't cut it when you consider risk : reward and what other characters can do. SMH.

The game might be done as far as patches goes, but hopefully pac man gets something to spring him back in the game. His design is so creative, but the devs are just too scared of theorycraft stuff so they gut him on core aspects of a smash character :\

Last edited:

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
New Aw, the fun thread got closed.
Sorry for closing. Feel free to discuss the topic anywhere however, or even make a new topic with quotes linked to the closed thread. I think a lot of jabbing and toxic behavior just wasn't going to make that thread go anywhere in the long term.

I don't want to "stop" the conversation. But closing the thread was the simplest way of stopping the circle-jerk of insults that was about to occur however.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
It seems like you guys really don't talk positive here... :facepalm:
That's mainly me. I'm a known pessimist when it comes to Pac-Man. Feel free to ignore me, as it is my opinion after all.

I back my claims up pretty well though

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
It seems like you guys really don't talk positive here... :facepalm:
I think Pacman's normals are overall great for racking up damage. His Bonus Fruits have very obscure uses, and it takes a lot of study for the opponent to know exactly what we are doing.

I honestly think that Pacman has one of the best anti-pressure in the game. He has two very good defensive options that make it tricky when we're being juggled: Hydrant and Apple. Apple can even score a counter-kill if an opponent is overly aggressive on the juggling pressure (Apple KOs high). The combined use of Apple, Hydrant, Air Dodge, and 3-frame Nair means the opponent has to be careful when following up a non-true juggle opportunity.

Offensively, PacMan is lackluster. PacMan has good normals for combos but the community has stuggled in figuring out a solid KO plan. A lot of games, the opponent will be at 140%+ because that's really how long it takes for PacMan to kill.

PacMan is a gimp master. I've KOed Rob, Yoshi, Mario with nothing more than Fair-Fair on their returns. I've gimped even a ZSS kill when I predicted a Z-ledge grab once in a tournament and Fair'd her back. Returning against PacMan is nightmarish due to easy 2-frame punish with Orange / Melon / Key against Wall, Hydrant (if nothing is charged), or Z-Drop Fruit.

If any of which is dodged, it can be followed up with Fair-Fair or Bair. The opponent's ideal response is to catch the fruit, but PacMan should still be in a threatening position, ready for a Fair-Nair followup or Bair.

If the typical recovery in this game were like Melee's, PacMan's gimping ability would be on par with Jiggly from that game. Unfortunately, Recoveries have had gross buffs in Smash4 and the straightforward gimp is useful only against select characters.

Nonetheless, I think that PacMan's play will have to go for those gimps: but that will naturally be weak against the myriad of very strong Up-Bs in the top tier. Shiek and RosaLuma aren't going to be gimped by Fair-Fair for example. And Yoshi's superior Air-speed means that the opponent has to seriously screw up before PacMan has a chance for the Fair-Fair gimp (One reason why I consider Yoshi the hardest matchup for PacMan)

Still, I think that's where PacMan's kill plan needs to be. I've used Cherry and Strawberry to setup 2-frame punishes into Fair-Nair (these 'bouncy" fruits hug the ledge). I've used Orange for solid gimps at ~70% or 80%. Orange has a great gimping angle.

And these gimps can be setup with F-Tilt, D-Tilt... or even PacMan's FThrow. No, its not a "solid combo" but its an advantaged state which can lead to a dangerous mixup as the opponent recovers.

The main issue is the limited period where PacMan's gimps can be setup. Fair-Nair is only valid between 50% and 80%ish for example. (Fair-Fair Double-jump Fair-Fair is valid much longer but is harder to gimp with ) Missing the gimp opportunity means going for broke at 140%+ (and none of PacMan's combos really work above 100%. So its going to be a long slog to get to 140% if you miss the gimping window)

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Aw, the fun thread got closed.

I wanted to tag @Locke 06 and Teshie U Teshie U . I didn't believe you two at first, but you both pointed out flaws with pac man that I now acknowledge as critical. It's a shame it took me so long to notice.

Locke, you were right about his fruits. They're just not that threatening compared to the other charge B moves. He can 0-40% you with galaxian, but you can just...not get hit. Key takes >2 seconds to charge and only deals 15% lol.

Teshie, you told me about his trampoline not giving him an advantaged state after beating shield. I thought 7% at a time was enough back then, but that just doesn't cut it when you consider risk : reward and what other characters can do. SMH.

The game might be done as far as patches goes, but hopefully pac man gets something to spring him back in the game. His design is so creative, but the devs are just too scared of theorycraft stuff so they gut him on core aspects of a smash character :\
PacMan's meta with his current kit will come down to fishing for the footstools the japanese megamen do. Refining his shield pressure game is crucial for his neutral to function as well, but having an item in your hand is broken in smash.

He is going to get timed out if his enemy can sit in shield while in control of his item though. As item play becomes stronger for the entire smash 4 community, pacman will get alot weaker I think.

riels89

Smash Rookie
So I am a Rosalina and Luma main and I am looking for a secondary I was wondering if pac man could make a viable secondary because I really like how he seems to play however it also looks like he is very hard

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
So I am a Rosalina and Luma main and I am looking for a secondary I was wondering if pac man could make a viable secondary because I really like how he seems to play however it also looks like he is very hard
I dunno Rosa-Luma's matchups. Can you summarize who you think is a difficult match for you?

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Tier Lists seem to be once again, killing the enjoyability of my main. :'( Thanks, Metagame.

...In all seriousness though, I think he would have been deadlier with a Butt Bounce tailored to his moveset.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
MachoCheeze MachoCheeze were you always in the "pac-man is trash" club, or did you have an epiphany moment recently?

Aaron1997 Aaron1997 ggs. What can I do to convince you to drop pac? It pains me to see you cap yourself.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
MachoCheeze MachoCheeze were you always in the "pac-man is trash" club, or did you have an epiphany moment recently?

Aaron1997 Aaron1997 ggs. What can I do to convince you to drop pac? It pains me to see you cap yourself.
You're allowed to use whoever you want regardless of tiers. Stop trying to force people to drop their main for a top tier.

BSP

Smash Legend
You're allowed to use whoever you want regardless of tiers. Stop trying to force people to drop their main for a top tier.
I read "stop trying to convince people to perform to the best of their ability".

Feel free to put me on ignore, but I truly believe Pac-Man makes you worse at the game as a whole because he kills/stunts the development of your fundamentals. I, being the nice guy that I am, would like people to avoid that route if I can help it. :yeahboi: I wouldn't even try to convince him to go top tier, just not pac.

Last edited:

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318
BSP BSP I Think for now on I'm going to take the M2k route and Duo/Tri main Pac,DH,Shulk. DH has a more reliable Netrual and a WAY better grab game but what keeps me from switching fully is because of DH offstage and Pac has higher Reward off of set-ups then DH. Also I feel I do better with Pac vs good players then DH.

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I read "stop trying to convince people to perform to the best of their ability".

Feel free to put me on ignore, but I truly believe Pac-Man makes you worse at the game as a whole because he kills/stunts the development of your fundamentals. I, being the nice guy that I am, would like people to avoid that route if I can help it. :yeahboi:
As I said, don't ever try to force people off of a character. Maining a certain charact doesn't hurt you much if at all. If anything, using a lower tiered (That's not really even that accurate since Pac-Man is top 30 but whatever) character or using a harder character (Pac-Man is both) would help you.

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze
Nah for the longest time I was in that camp that Pac-Man was underdeveloped/secret high tier until I dropped him for Mewtwo in December. Then I knew what it felt like to play a real character lol.

Ironically I've been pulling out Pac for certain MUs he's okay in I don't feel comfortable w/ M2. Mostly Diddy.

Edit: I was always in the camp that he was GARBAGE against Mario though. I'm sure y'all remember me constantly ******** about that match up. I still say that's one of the worst MUs in the game lmao.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
As I said, don't ever try to force people off of a character. Maining a certain charact doesn't hurt you much if at all. If anything, using a lower tiered (That's not really even that accurate since Pac-Man is top 30 but whatever) character or using a harder character (Pac-Man is both) would help you.
I'm offering recommendations to a fellow competitive player. I can tell he puts effort into this game, and I would rather see him perform to the best of his ability than stunt himself. If he thinks he can do that with Pac-Man, so be it, but I don't think it's the best move. If that bothers you, I'm sorry, but it's just how I see the matter. I've been down the low tier road in the past. Trust me, unless character loyalty is truly your only motivation, you will get tired of losing to people you are better than because you're playing a limited character.

It's not Pac-Man's status as low tier that hurts you, it's his play style itself. Pac-Man is unique in the fact that he can spawn static obstacles that work independently of him. Said obstacles warp the most important state of the game, neutral, to Pac-Man's favor, or they're supposed to least.

How is this bad for you as a player? I guess it's not that big of a problem if you intend to solo main Pac-Man (which shouldn't work out too well, but that's another discussion), but it will surface if you play other characters, and you'll most likely be left behind when it comes to fundamentals when compared to other players.

Pac-Man's tools essentially throw the basics of neutral out of the window. I think Earth is a great example to illustrate what I'm talking about. His neutral play is top notch, and it has to be when playing a character like Pit. Watch him play and pay attention to how he handles the neutral game.

Example; Earth vs Kamemushi from EVO 2016 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFdjKOro514

He goes for reads, safe spacing, safe pokes etc while always considering what his opponent can do in response to his actions. He must always keep in mind what his opponent can do, he can't completely rule anything out.

No matter who Earth plays against, and anyone who plays a normal character for that matter, these skills (Fundamentals) will always be relevant and improved upon.

Pac-Man on the other hand throws this development out of the window with his unique tools. Nobody has a neutral remotely close to his because he warps it so much. He can spawn obstacles that flat out remove options from both players. He has an F1 get out of jail free card that ignores spotdodges and rolls to get out of bad situations.

Spawning a hydrant and standing behind it forces your opponent to do something first in order to threaten you behind the hydrant, assuming they don't have a piercing projectile. You're safe from walk ups, dash ins, etc., and some people are still silly enough to attack the hydrant instead of focusing on Pac-Man. Same thing with a trampoline on the ground. You know that the opponent will have to go airborne to get to you as long as that trampoline is there, baring a few exceptions.

At the end of the day, assuming you're using Pac's tools, you're going to have less options to consider when you're playing neutral as opposed to basically any other character. Since you can cut off options, you won't be developing the skills to deal with said options, along with everything else the opponent can do at the same time. Everyone else that plays other characters is though. Result? You get left behind when it comes to the fundamentals of neutral because you're playing a different game.

Hydrant as defensive option when landing does the same thing. Though far from infallible, it is an option most of the cast must heavily consider when trying to juggle pac man, and a planted one disrupts attempts of catching Pac-Man's landing. No one else has access to something like this, and it breeds bad habits that I see in Pac-Man players all the time (burn double jump while above opponent in order to charge fruit instead of getting back to the ground...)

Then there's the setups....I don't think I've seen any other character mains willing to give up stage control, edge guards, juggle situations, and the like to go attempt some setup that might work. I honestly don't know where this came from, but my guess is from Pac-Man himself since he screams setup potential with his moveset.

Feel free to disagree with me, but I think the character breeds bad habits and stunts your growth based on what I said above. I know some people can play pac and then play other characters just fine, so what I'm saying definitely doesn't apply to everyone. However, Aaron1997 Aaron1997 told me someone told him a similar thing regarding fundamentals and Pac-Man, and I ram these ideas through @Zage once and I think he agreed. This wouldn't be such a big issue if Pac-Man had strengths to make up for it...but then there's the fact that his specials can all be turned against him easily and he doesn't have a good answer to shield.

Aaron1997 Aaron1997 alright, you do that. Let me recommend that when you run into people like me that are content with holding block against you, just take the trampoline hits over, over, and over. Win 7% at a time.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I'm offering recommendations to a fellow competitive player. I can tell he puts effort into this game, and I would rather see him perform to the best of his ability than stunt himself. If he thinks he can do that with Pac-Man, so be it, but I don't think it's the best move. If that bothers you, I'm sorry, but it's just how I see the matter. I've been down the low tier road in the past. Trust me, unless character loyalty is truly your only motivation, you will get tired of losing to people you are better than because you're playing a limited character.

It's not Pac-Man's status as low tier that hurts you, it's his play style itself. Pac-Man is unique in the fact that he can spawn static obstacles that work independently of him. Said obstacles warp the most important state of the game, neutral, to Pac-Man's favor, or they're supposed to least.

How is this bad for you as a player? I guess it's not that big of a problem if you intend to solo main Pac-Man (which shouldn't work out too well, but that's another discussion), but it will surface if you play other characters, and you'll most likely be left behind when it comes to fundamentals when compared to other players.

Pac-Man's tools essentially throw the basics of neutral out of the window. I think Earth is a great example to illustrate what I'm talking about. His neutral play is top notch, and it has to be when playing a character like Pit. Watch him play and pay attention to how he handles the neutral game.

Example; Earth vs Kamemushi from EVO 2016 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFdjKOro514

He goes for reads, safe spacing, safe pokes etc while always considering what his opponent can do in response to his actions. He must always keep in mind what his opponent can do, he can't completely rule anything out.

No matter who Earth plays against, and anyone who plays a normal character for that matter, these skills (Fundamentals) will always be relevant and improved upon.

Pac-Man on the other hand throws this development out of the window with his unique tools. Nobody has a neutral remotely close to his because he warps it so much. He can spawn obstacles that flat out remove options from both players. He has an F1 get out of jail free card that ignores spotdodges and rolls to get out of bad situations.

Spawning a hydrant and standing behind it forces your opponent to do something first in order to threaten you behind the hydrant, assuming they don't have a piercing projectile. You're safe from walk ups, dash ins, etc., and some people are still silly enough to attack the hydrant instead of focusing on Pac-Man. Same thing with a trampoline on the ground. You know that the opponent will have to go airborne to get to you as long as that trampoline is there, baring a few exceptions.

At the end of the day, assuming you're using Pac's tools, you're going to have less options to consider when you're playing neutral as opposed to basically any other character. Since you can cut off options, you won't be developing the skills to deal with said options, along with everything else the opponent can do at the same time. Everyone else that plays other characters is though. Result? You get left behind when it comes to the fundamentals of neutral because you're playing a different game.

Hydrant as defensive option when landing does the same thing. Though far from infallible, it is an option most of the cast must heavily consider when trying to juggle pac man, and a planted one disrupts attempts of catching Pac-Man's landing. No one else has access to something like this, and it breeds bad habits that I see in Pac-Man players all the time (burn double jump while above opponent in order to charge fruit instead of getting back to the ground...)

Then there's the setups....I don't think I've seen any other character mains willing to give up stage control, edge guards, juggle situations, and the like to go attempt some setup that might work. I honestly don't know where this came from, but my guess is from Pac-Man himself since he screams setup potential with his moveset.

Feel free to disagree with me, but I think the character breeds bad habits and stunts your growth based on what I said above. I know some people can play pac and then play other characters just fine, so what I'm saying definitely doesn't apply to everyone. However, Aaron1997 Aaron1997 told me someone told him a similar thing regarding fundamentals and Pac-Man, and I ram these ideas through @Zage once and I think he agreed. This wouldn't be such a big issue if Pac-Man had strengths to make up for it...but then there's the fact that his specials can all be turned against him easily and he doesn't have a good answer to shield.

Aaron1997 Aaron1997 alright, you do that. Let me recommend that when you run into people like me that are content with holding block against you, just take the trampoline hits over, over, and over. Win 7% at a time.
Pac-Man's not low lol, he's top 30 so it isn't like he has no strengths, nor is he "limited" outside of grab. So there's no problem with that.

I mean, I suppose he COULD stunt your growth logiciailly, but so could anyone else with another category of things, AND you said this doesn't apply to every player, which means it goes back to this: Don't. ever. force. somebody. off. their. main. There is nothing I hate more with the smash community than people trying to force people off their main. Players get their own preferance, and if they don't want to drop their main for a top tier, then don't try to force them to do that. That's all there is to it. I understand you absolutely despise Pac-Man, but that doesn't mean you can try to boss around people with using him and force them off their main. that is their preferance.

Imagine if some guy tried to force you off of Mario for somebody else, and you refuse, and the person endlessly begs and begs you to drop the character no matter what. Yea, that's pretty much the same as you're doing.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Pac-Man's not low lol, he's top 30 so it isn't like he has no strengths, nor is he "limited" outside of grab. So there's no problem with that.

I mean, I suppose he COULD stunt your growth logiciailly, but so could anyone else with another category of things, AND you said this doesn't apply to every player, which means it goes back to this: Don't. ever. force. somebody. off. their. main. There is nothing I hate more with the smash community than people trying to force people off their main. Players get their own preferance, and if they don't want to drop their main for a top tier, then don't try to force them to do that. That's all there is to it. I understand you absolutely despise Pac-Man, but that doesn't mean you can try to boss around people with using him and force them off their main. that is their preferance.

Imagine if some guy tried to force you off of Mario for somebody else, and you refuse, and the person endlessly begs and begs you to drop the character no matter what. Yea, that's pretty much the same as you're doing.
You confuse "force" with "suggest and recommend"

He's giving legitimate reasons as to why it may be a better idea to switch. You may prefer to put your head in the sand and not take the advice, but I don't see how it's an evil thing to offer advice to help a player get better.

He's not breathing down his neck, salivating with angry bear teeth going, "DROP THE PAC OR DIE"

And once again, he didn't even say "pick a top tier" lol. You hear what you want to hear

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
You confuse "force" with "suggest and recommend"

He's giving legitimate reasons as to why it may be a better idea to switch. You may prefer to put your head in the sand and not take the advice, but I don't see how it's an evil thing to offer advice to help a player get better.

He's not breathing down his neck, salivating with angry bear teeth going, "DROP THE PAC OR DIE"

And once again, he didn't even say "pick a top tier" lol. You hear what you want to hear
It's not evil, but it's a horrible thing to do.

"What can I do to convince you to drop Pac" is indeed trying to make somebody drop him. If he was only suggesting the idea, he would not be asking what he needs to do to get him to drop him (Which, as I said, doesn't really make sense because he is top 30. It shouldn't pain you to use a top 30 character with the most potential in the game lol."

So really, he is kinda trying to force people to drop Pac for whatever reason (Maybe just because he hates him? Kinda selfish so I don't feel like he would do that, but that's generally what people do when they force people to drop their main.... sorry if that sounded too rude).

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze
He's not even top 30. At best maybe he's barely out of bottom 10.

I can also confirm he stunts your fundamentals. I'm catching up, but switching to a real character made me realize how BAD my neutral game was.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
He's not even top 30. At best maybe he's barely out of bottom 10.

I can also confirm he stunts your fundamentals. I'm catching up, but switching to a real character made me realize how BAD my neutral game was.
Every character stunts SOMETHING so it doesn't mean much.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

"Pac-Man is Top 30"

:4bayonetta::4bowser::4falcon::4cloud::4corrin::4diddy::4fox::4greninja::4myfriends::4lucario::4mario::4marth::4megaman::4metaknight::4mewtwo::4ness::4peach::4pit::4darkpit::rosalina::4ryu::4sheik::4tlink::4villager::4zss::4dk::4yoshi::4lucas::4luigi::4sonic:

More like at least bottom 20

Also your reasoning is very funny.
"I think he's top 30 so he must be decent"

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
"Pac-Man is Top 30"

:4bayonetta::4bowser::4falcon::4cloud::4corrin::4diddy::4fox::4greninja::4myfriends::4lucario::4mario::4marth::4megaman::4metaknight::4mewtwo::4ness::4peach::4pit::4darkpit::rosalina::4ryu::4sheik::4tlink::4villager::4zss::4dk::4yoshi::4lucas::4luigi::4sonic:

More like at least bottom 20

Also your reasoning is very funny.
"I think he's top 30 so he must be decent"
Bowser and Lucas are without even the tiniest bit of doubt worse than Pac-Man, and I'd be surprised if Ike and Corrin were too. Disagree with Peach too. Otherwise though I agree with all of that. I don't see what you're getting at, that's only 30 characters so you only disagree with me by a little, and that's only since you overrate a few characters.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Bowser and Lucas are without even the tiniest bit of doubt worse than Pac-Man, and I'd be surprised if Ike and Corrin were too. Disagree with Peach too. Otherwise though I agree with all of that. I don't see what you're getting at, that's only 30 characters so you only disagree with me by a little, and that's only since you overrate a few characters.
Those are just the characters I was absolutely sure about that they were better than Pac-Man.

:4duckhunt::4rob::4lucina::4pikachu:(I forgot him the first round, swap him for Bowser because he's not much better) :4robinm:all are debatably around Pac's spot.

DH, ROB and Robin have Pac's gameplan but either with a grab or no way to get ahold of the strenght.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Those are just the characters I was absolutely sure about that they were better than Pac-Man.

:4duckhunt::4rob::4lucina::4pikachu:(I forgot him the first round, swap him for Bowser because he's not much better) :4robinm:all are debatably around Pac's spot.

DH, ROB and Robin have Pac's gameplan but either with a grab or no way to get ahold of the strenght.
Duck Hunt is very underrated, but he probably isn't better than Pac yet, nor is Robin (Although if Pac doesn't start getting better results soon, Duck Hunt could possibly end up just as good by the end of the year tbh). Agree that Pika and Rob are better though, maybe Lucina too idk, I still feel like Pac is most likely better than her.

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318
BSP BSP I know your not forcing me off of pac but I have 1 question. What do you see in me that you dont see in other Pac players? I've never seen you or another player do something like this before.

Also, I always thought my Fundamental problems where because of inexperience and I Always thought I would learn over time. I've only been going to tourneys for less then a year and my placings have been getting better and better. (mostly becuase DH and Shulk have been a big help vs some people).

BSP

Smash Legend
BSP BSP I know your not forcing me off of pac but I have 1 question. What do you see in me that you dont see in other Pac players? I've never seen you or another player do something like this before.
I only pointed you out because I ran into you in FG the other day. I don't generally go around to Pac-Mains telling them he's garbage and they should switch, but I mentioned dropping him to you because of how our games went when you used him. I know Mario does well against him in general, but I felt bad when you would do all of this complex stuff and i'd just block or something because I know I won't die and you know the punishment for grab isn't worth the risk. You used to regularly beat me in Pac vs Mario too, so I'm afraid other players will get to that point with you as well.

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
Alright people, calm down. Aaron1997 Aaron1997 and BSP BSP seem like they're cool with this conversation. No need to bring the heat if the primary participants in this discussion are all cool with it.

As for "Fundamentals", PacMan is a character with very different fundamentals than other characters. It goes without saying that practicing PacMan prevents you from getting good with other characters, and vice-versa. Practicing other characters won't make you get better with PacMan.

On the other hand, ditto with say... maining Bridget vs Sol BadGuy in Guilty Gear. Or Carl instead of Jin in Blazblue. (OMFG the negative edges).

In any case, it is because PacMan warps the neutral game so much that he interests me as a character. And interest is really the #1 thing when it comes to these sorts of games. We all know who top tier is by now, PacMan is not top 5 in this game either. But hey, I've found PacMan to be more than playable in tournament settings, which is more than can be said about mid / low tier in Melee / Brawl.

At some point in every competitive player's life, you come to the decision of switching to the top tier, or playing with someone you're comfortable with. And that's really all there is to it.

Last edited:

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze
I mean it is Smash 4, even the bad characters have redeeming qualities. However, since Pac-Man isnt popular his counterplay hasn't been developed yet. Sure he may seem like he can put in some work, but we all know deep down he SHOULDN'T be. Literally just shielding against this character most of the time renders him useless, but a lot of people don't know this.

Let's put it this way. I love playing Pac the most against newbies or people I know dont have the MU experience.

BSP

Smash Legend
Does anyone have the link to the galaxian zero death pac man has with footstools? I think tea came up with it? I'm not sure.

BSP

Smash Legend
Thanks.

Mr R made a tier list and put Pac-Man in the bottom 9. Top players aren't scared of this character :/

Watching some of Tea's play from japan's big house thing (?), I wonder if there's a reason he doesn't go for Utilt hydrant launches at the edge. I don't think I saw the trampoline trap attempt work at all, and some people were smart enough to jump away from the ledge to stall the hydrant out, and then safely regrab because Tea did a trampoline, making him unable to punish. Utilt launch simultaneously covers do nothing, ledge jump, and standard getup while leaving Pac-Man enough time to cover something else with a smash attack. The opponent also can't see the hydrant for a majority of its bouncing time unless the camera is zoomed out far. Maybe he knows something we don't, but I think the U tilt launch is a lot better than the trampoline trap attempt.

I'm digging through the vods and Ginko vs HIKARU happened. Let me link it: https://www.twitch.tv/shi_gaming/v/80742618 ; look at 02:08:36

Ginko died below 100% every stock LOL

Lame, I'm still the most recent post. The number 1 in my state double eliminated ally today at clutch city clash, and the number 2 beat m2k and got 5th. If you see me do something with pacman and it works on them, it's probably worth taking note of.

Last edited:
Top Bottom