• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Make up your mind already!
It's hard...I'm an indecisive man.

I am getting tired of his primarily defensive play, but I see offensive potential in DITCIT...but I'm not sure if the technique alone will keep me.

I'll probably end up switching soon. But I need to gather my thoughts more.

I'll take a break.

Last edited:

verbatim

Smash Ace
I would say that if you get hit and the same time you are jumping on the trampoline you go right though the Trampoline instead of boncing off it. The timing is really tight
Hello, if I may ask, how do you feel about playing Villager and Pacman together?

I know that you play as both and I'm considering playing as Pacman, Villager, and maybe a pocket Dark Pit (for Rosa) in tournaments but I worry that they might all share a common weakness.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
It's hard...I'm an indecisive man.

I am getting tired of his primarily defensive play, but I see offensive potential in DITCIT...but I'm not sure if the technique alone will keep me.

I'll probably end up switching soon. But I need to gather my thoughts more.

I'll take a break.
DICIT is very useful, and can allow us to set up some nasty traps, but it is not enough to change our playstyle. It's more of a way to go from defensive into sudden aggression before retreating back to defensive.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Well we've lost two Pac man mains in almost two weeks. It feels kind of odious. That being said I have never been as high on this character as I have been now. within the past two weeks I have defeated 2 of my rivals who I have never beaten before. Marcina and shiek. And I'm starting to think shiek might not be the unwinnable match up I thought I was. Hopefully I can make a great impression at the monthly tomorrow.

AGES

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snicks
While Pac-Man is (imo) a viable character for tournaments, it's ok to feel tired of him and want to switch to a different character for a little bit. Even I, as much as I love Pac, get tired of sitting back and throwing hydrants at my opponents all the time and just want to down tilt and hoo hah everyone to oblivion with Diddy. Especially to those that have played him for a long time, remember that you have played him this long for a reason, and that it's natural for people to get tired of the same thing for a while. If you haven't already, try picking a character that plays differently to how you play Pac and mess around with them for awhile. For example, I play a very defensive, zone-heavy Pac-Man, so I'm most interested in trying out characters that are usually quick and offensive like Pikachu and Diddy.

Don't feel like it's the end when maining a character like Pac-Man is starting to get tiresome, variety is healthy and you should def work towards having more of a balance between playstyles once one starts feeling repetitive/boring. After a bit of playing around with other options, Pac might become really interesting to you again. Just my thoughts at least, I've gone through a similar situation like this in the past.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
So after the tourney today the guy who knock me out of the last tournament challenge me to a money match. I accept the money match thinking I could do well and I got 2-0'd pretty bad (captain falcon), I lost to see really awful technical errors with my recovery. After the set we did another money match as Pac man dittos and I got 2-0'd again. I have never felt so demoralised it's making me thinking of not being a Wii u tomorrow like I had planned. Sometimes the top players feel so close to your level and other tints they feel so far away. I am realizing there is no point in me attending monthly tournaments if I don't at ever the monthly tournaments ad well. I just won't be improving at a fast enough rate to keep up with the top players.

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
Hello, if I may ask, how do you feel about playing Villager and Pacman together?

I know that you play as both and I'm considering playing as Pacman, Villager, and maybe a pocket Dark Pit (for Rosa) in tournaments but I worry that they might all share a common weakness.

You are right. I'm not playing villager too much, I'm playing G&W instead because as you said I don't want to play 2 characters with same weakness...

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
doesn't Game and Watch lose really badly to Rosalina?
I don't believe so. Our local G&W player says it's a pretty good MU since he has a lot of safe on block moves that kill Luma and he can kill her super early. The only thing is he needs to avoid are the Up Air kills.

ZeoLightning

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeoLightning
3DS FC
5455-9919-4674
While Pac-Man is (imo) a viable character for tournaments, it's ok to feel tired of him and want to switch to a different character for a little bit. Even I, as much as I love Pac, get tired of sitting back and throwing hydrants at my opponents all the time and just want to down tilt and hoo hah everyone to oblivion with Diddy. Especially to those that have played him for a long time, remember that you have played him this long for a reason, and that it's natural for people to get tired of the same thing for a while. If you haven't already, try picking a character that plays differently to how you play Pac and mess around with them for awhile. For example, I play a very defensive, zone-heavy Pac-Man, so I'm most interested in trying out characters that are usually quick and offensive like Pikachu and Diddy.

Don't feel like it's the end when maining a character like Pac-Man is starting to get tiresome, variety is healthy and you should def work towards having more of a balance between playstyles once one starts feeling repetitive/boring. After a bit of playing around with other options, Pac might become really interesting to you again. Just my thoughts at least, I've gone through a similar situation like this in the past.
PAC-MAN is definitely a co main character imo. and its good to have more than 1 main if you dont main shiek to cover bad matchups or to throw off your opponent

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ

You're right. I probably shouldn't drop him altogether when I still can have so much fun with him.

I'll main him and Pit together. When one gets boring I can switch.

Last edited:

verbatim

Smash Ace
Pit's one of like 20 characters that I've looked at. Pit/Dark Pit are really cool as Pacman partners in that they cover Sheik/Rosa successfully. Unfortunately none of them really do well against ZSS, so I'm still holding out for a DLC character.

I do think Abadango pretty much picked the single best compliment to Pacman. MK destroys Rosa, has a comparatively amazing Sheik matchup, and does well against Mario/reasonable against ZSS.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Pretty sure that's WHY Abadango plays MK.

Honestly I considered MK myself for a bit, but my Mario is leagues ahead of my MK, and he covers bad MUs as well to my knowledge.

AGES

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snicks
MK is for sure the best in terms of matchup coverage, I just really have never been able to grasp how to play neutral with him. Besides that I don't actually have much fun playing him lol

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
Talking of dropping Pac, I pretty much have at this stage. I went to a fairly expensive tournament and lost my losers set after I had numerous point blank whiffed grabs AND a failed bell to up smash (first hit didn't link). I felt pretty dissatisfied after this understandably and will probably be postponing my competitive use of the character until they fix these tiny little annoying problems. I'll probably still use him in the odd MU but for now he's in my friendlies only box.

As for who I'm gonna be using instead, probably mixing it up between Robin, Villager, Luigi and Yoshi. My secondaries need a hell of a lot of work though lol, they're quite far behind my Pac.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
To all those still saying Klonoa is "more interesting than Pac-Man"... I think Bubsy is honestly more interesting than your Sonic OC IMO :U

But yeah. Still am praying for Pac-Man World 4.... Someday.

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
doesn't Game and Watch lose really badly to Rosalina?
I don't care About Rosalina MU, I won that MU with PAC-MAN. I beat almost every good Rosalina mainer in Spain. I challenged the best Rosalina mainer in Spain to a MM in the next tournament, he is the last one I must beat...

My trainning mate plays Rosalina and I trained that MU a LOT. I think PAC-MAN can beat Rosalina, you only need to know how. It is even, Rosalina hasn't the advantage here.

I kill Rosalina at 110% ALWAYS. When I reach that % I go for the key. Fair to key and gg

Last edited:

verbatim

Smash Ace
I see, I've had a change of heart regarding the Rosa matchup, specifically after watching you and sinji.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
Are you sure about this? I've survived some really strong spikes at ridiculous percents due to trampoline. The only times I've been spiked THROUGH the trampoline were as I was just bouncing off of it. Pretty sure this has to do with what *was* the trampoline glitch and that we just don't bounce off of if spiked through the trampoline during the bounce animation.
I would say that if you get hit and the same time you are jumping on the trampoline you go right though the Trampoline instead of boncing off it. The timing is really tight
I've described the setup. You guys can do it and see for yourselves. I made sure there was adequate falling distance between the spikes and the trampoline, yet I still went straight through once I got to higher %s. I've been Ganon Dair'd through as well even though I was at the apex of my first bounce.

learned another interesting thing today. if you b cancel a dash while gushing a fruit they act totally different. the galaxian does a loop in place then drops to the ground. the melon goes slowly backwards. the other fruit dont act too different, orange and key just go slightly slower. i think this is pretty useful and a safer way of grabbing a melon/galaxian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2_icUHV2jc
if youre close enough the galaxian will do the same thing and break the hydrant, but i wasnt able to show that here
I can get behind that Melon one. Since it's floating like that, we get auto phantom fruit -> smash attacks covered by the oncoming melon. It might catch people a few times.

Edit: I think DITCIT can achieve a similar effect. Maybe I'll get it down one day.

Edit2: Has anyone had any success using hydrant water to push people into trampolines for a fruit hit?

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
so I got my smash Wii u today and I have been using side b to catch people falling from the top and coming back from edge guards and it's incredible. The lingering hit box makes it hard to dodge. it's been getting a lot of kills.

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
so I got my smash Wii u today and I have been using side b to catch people falling from the top and coming back from edge guards and it's incredible. The lingering hit box makes it hard to dodge. it's been getting a lot of kills.
Aww. Now I'm the lone 3DS-only Pac-Man main here..

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Aww. Now I'm the lone 3DS-only Pac-Man main here..
Teehee I still have my 3ds. In fact I'm attending a local today where it will likely be my last tournament playing on it.

BSP

Smash Legend
Did you guys notice that the ghosts in our smash attacks somewhat follow the AI they had in the original Pac-Man? If you're looking at these situations, assuming Pac-Man and the opponent are facing each other:

Opponent____Pac-Man__

or

Opponent

______________Pac-Man___

...the ghosts follow their A.I.

Blinky: in the original game, he targets you all of the time. If Pac-Man is facing his opponent, it makes sense that Blinky would handle Fsmash because he's constantly trying to get them.

Pinky: She would target a few spaces ahead of you, and with our Dsmash, she's most likely to catch an attempt to roll behind Pac-Man...which is a little distance in front of the opponent.

Inky : his is weird. His target depended on a few spaces in front of you, and how far Blinky was from you. The vector from Blinky to the few spaces in front of you, doubled, would be Inky's target. In smash, this makes sense in the air scenario. If Blinky is handling Fsmash, Inky would go up because the vector from Blinky to the opponent points upwards.

Clyde: his target system was the same as Blinky's, except he would retreat whenever he actually got close to you. In smash, this is reflected with Dsmash. He goes straight at them just like Blinky, but doesn't actually want to reach them, hence the shorter range.

So yeah, they really paid attention to Pac-Man's moves too.

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
I thought Dsmash had the same range as Fsmash this whole time. I should probably cut down on using it for a punish then.

Prometheus_98

Smash Rookie
Touching on this^^^, How do you think pacman's play style is similar to his games? For example little mac represents a boxers play style well, Zelda the princess of wisdom, requires very smart play to be successful with her at all.

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
Touching on this^^^, How do you think pacman's play style is similar to his games? For example little mac represents a boxers play style well, Zelda the princess of wisdom, requires very smart play to be successful with her at all.
I saw a video once that said Pac-Man plays like an arcade game. Starts out easy but then all of sudden bullets all over the screen, cheap shots from off screen, hard to beat. I agree with it.

Also this is totally unrelated but I just had the best ending to a match ever and it is a shame I will lose it in the next patch and I wish I could upload 3DS replays somehow. It ended in both of us flying away with Luigi dying and then while the "Game" came on the screen Pac-Man slowly comes flying at the screen with the game stopping just after he hits the screen. It was awesome. I would've felt bad about the double KO but I was up a stock so it didn't matter.

ToxoT

Smash Apprentice
they definitely did a good job with pac's moveset. i noticed that about the ghosts behavior correlating to the original game. it would have made more sense to me that pinky would be in the front of down smash and clyde in the back, but whatever. like the patterns people memorize in the original pacman, i feel like playing pac is much like the arcade game in that you have to be perfect at setting everything up or you're screwed. a visible pattern isn't a good thing in a fighting game, so its our job to be constantly changing things up and making the maze tighter.

ToxoT

Smash Apprentice
heres a trick ive been practicing that helps get past shields

when you z drop a fruit you can fast fall further than it drops, when approaching someones shield from the air you can z drop ff and upb when you hit the ground, hitting your opponent with both the unblockable upb and zdropped fruit. if you miss you still have a lingering hitbox for a little while near the trampoline covering your landing. overall this is just a good approach option against shield or not

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
heres a trick ive been practicing that helps get past shields

when you z drop a fruit you can fast fall further than it drops, when approaching someones shield from the air you can z drop ff and upb when you hit the ground, hitting your opponent with both the unblockable upb and zdropped fruit. if you miss you still have a lingering hitbox for a little while near the trampoline covering your landing. overall this is just a good approach option against shield or not
How high do you usually have to be for it to work/not be obvious?

Last edited:

ToxoT

Smash Apprentice
if youre in the air you should be between short and full hop height when you do the z drop, so the fruit doesnt hit their shield before the upb. you can also just short hop z drop fast fall upb and get the fruit to hit since the trampoline sucks your enemy toward you slightly

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Meanwhile people are dropping Pac for either (in)definite time, I've been getting some good reception around my local parts as one of the "good" Pac-players amongst Finnish playing Sm4sh.

However, I quite relate on the feel of dropping Pac for some bit and just explore the game on other ways. We'll just see how things go from here.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Meanwhile people are dropping Pac for either (in)definite time, I've been getting some good reception around my local parts as one of the "good" Pac-players amongst Finnish playing Sm4sh.

However, I quite relate on the feel of dropping Pac for some bit and just explore the game on other ways. We'll just see how things go from here.
You do stuff with other characters, then see how you can translate it to Pac. He's that flexible.

For example, I play Mewtwo, with whom I am quite fond of baiting reactions with slow moving baby shadow balls. This leads to me using melons quite a bit.

Top Bottom