• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Pac Attack - Advanced Techniques and Strategy Guide

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
So I can't find the post anymore and give a proper shoutout to the person who originally suggested this, but someone was talking about putting a red trampoline above the ledge to punish ledge options. This sounded far fetched and I've been busy so I didn't take it into the lab until tonight. Oh my god... Whoever you are, thank you so much for suggesting this.

I've made an excel document showing exactly what ledge options get punished by death for what characters when a red trampoline is set at the ledge (You ideally want to aim it with 2/3 the trampoline offstage). I highly suggest you guys put this on your phones and check it before a match, because some characters do get murdered by this strategy.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9mcp1km67hbla2f/Pacman Ledge Red Trampoline trap.xlsx?dl=0

Going to summon some of the crew because this is too big to ignore:

@ Nu~ Nu~
@ BSP BSP
@Firedemon0
@Paper Maribro
@dragontamer
@WeirdChillFever
@LanceStern
@ Pacack Pacack
@Galaxian
@NimbusSpark

Bleh probably forgetting people but it's late.
So this is very VERY good in doubles, especially if you have a partner with a downwards momentum move to take the next 2 jumps of the trampoline (IE: Kirby stone, Shiek/Sonic/TL/etc. Dair). You can set this up ridiculously fast and really cheese out a lot of people with this.

At Dismantle Eevee and I took about 5 stocks in teams with this over the tournament, and that was the first time we tried to team in tournament or use this tactic ever.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
My plan worked!! I trained my amiibo enough that it started teaching me some things.

I never thought about setting up an on fire hydrant in the ledge, and then doing a ledge trump. This technique is stupid good. The fire can't even be avoided due to the speed at which it comes out

Ramserss

RAM
Slippi.gg
RAM#627
NNID
Entitylution
3DS FC
0602-6501-7653
My plan worked!! I trained my amiibo enough that it started teaching me some things.

I never thought about setting up an on fire hydrant in the ledge, and then doing a ledge trump. This technique is stupid good. The fire can't even be avoided due to the speed at which it comes out
I would have never though that would work, good to know.

Revibe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Revibe
3DS FC
2380-4883-4721
You guys, I can't believe it took me this long to discover another effective galaga toss. After hitting the opponent with D-air, Hyrdant, or even something I am missing that launches the opponent upwards followed by the up-toss-galaga puts the bonus in bonus fruit.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Well I've just discovered something stupid.

@ BSP BSP
@WeirdChillFever
@ fromundaman fromundaman
@ Pacack Pacack
@Sinji
@Firedemon0
@Spirst
@dragontamer
@NimbusSpark
@ Huge Huge
@ abit_rusty abit_rusty
@ M Maziyah
@DrakeRowan
@ Ramserss Ramserss
@ Revibe Revibe

(Damn, we've really grown in the last few weeks lol)

Z drop any fruit on the opponent-> [footstool them --(very quickly)--> :GCZ: + :GCA:] <---repeat the part in brackets

Pressing Z + A allows you to immediately z drop after catching a fruit.

This essentially locks the opponent in an infinite z drop chamber I like to call it. It only works for us since our fruit bounces off of the ground and people.

This is an infinite guys. Pac-Man has a ****ing infinite.

Last edited:

Huge

Smash Apprentice
I can't get that, but then again I'm not exactly the most nimble-fingered person around (still trying to master the art of phantom fruit annoyance dancing.) Would you be able to make a video? That does sound incredibly stupid, and amazing.

Man... people these days... always discovering infinites with their wonky footstoolin' Z-drop combination attacks... if this isn't patched out, I'll be both very sad and very happy.

Ramserss

RAM
Slippi.gg
RAM#627
NNID
Entitylution
3DS FC
0602-6501-7653

@ BSP BSP
@WeirdChillFever
@ Pacack Pacack
@Sinji
@Firedemon0
@Spirst
@dragontamer
@NimbusSpark
@ Huge Huge
@ abit_rusty abit_rusty
@ M Maziyah
@DrakeRowan
@ Ramserss Ramserss
@ Revibe Revibe

Z drop any fruit on the opponent-> [footstool them --(very quickly)--> :GCZ: + :GCA:] <---repeat the part in brackets

This essentially locks the opponent in an infinite z drop chamber I like to call it. It only works for us since our fruit bounces off of the ground and people.

LETS GO NAMCO! :4pacman:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496

@ BSP BSP
@WeirdChillFever
@ Pacack Pacack
@Sinji
@Firedemon0
@Spirst
@dragontamer
@NimbusSpark
@ Huge Huge
@ abit_rusty abit_rusty
@ M Maziyah
@DrakeRowan
@ Ramserss Ramserss
@ Revibe Revibe

Are you sure we don't need to jab lock at some point to reset the footstool scaling to make it a true infinite? In theory successive footstools are supposed to get progressively stricter until they become humanly impossible.

Still, that usually happens after like 6-7, and 6-7 melon drops is a hell of a lot of damage.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Are you sure we don't need to jab lock at some point to reset the footstool scaling to make it a true infinite? In theory successive footstools are supposed to get progressively stricter until they become humanly impossible.

Still, that usually happens after like 6-7, and 6-7 melon drops is a hell of a lot of damage.
Yeah, you're right. 7 drops with a key is pretty much murder though. I may have to tweak this a bit to make it more consistent. Throwing in a Fair after a footstool may help us convert over to a jab lock.

You can do this on shields too until you run out of footstools.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

@ BSP BSP
@WeirdChillFever
@ Pacack Pacack
@Sinji
@Firedemon0
@Spirst
@dragontamer
@NimbusSpark
@ Huge Huge
@ abit_rusty abit_rusty
@ M Maziyah
@DrakeRowan
@ Ramserss Ramserss
@ Revibe Revibe

I demand a video.

Gam3rALO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gam3rALO

@ BSP BSP
@WeirdChillFever
@ Pacack Pacack
@Sinji
@Firedemon0
@Spirst
@dragontamer
@NimbusSpark
@ Huge Huge
@ abit_rusty abit_rusty
@ M Maziyah
@DrakeRowan
@ Ramserss Ramserss
@ Revibe Revibe

That sounds insane. I NEED to practice this ASAP.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Tinkered around with it some more.

Doing it 3 times with the key is an easy 45% true combo. Doing it more times after that is hard.

Edit: you don't have to immediately Z Drop after catching it. You want to pause a little bit between the z drops to give the opponent time to bounce back to level ground.

Once you get to 4-6 jumps, you may want to buffer the z drop. I was able to do it in 1/4 speed, but it's difficult in real time.

Super EDIT: You want to know something ironic? We can't perform more than a 2 hit key combo on bowser because he's so tall that he elevated us too far away from the key.
Maybe it will work with the other fruits though...Pikachu has been easy to combo with the key.
Heh, characters that don't get comboed easily are the ones most susceptible.

Super duper EDIT: .

(If you can manage to jump on bowsers head 2 times before you start this combo, then you can do it 3 times lol)

I can do this to pikachu 6 times, 3 times on shiek, and 2 times on bowser.

The shorter you are, the better this is.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
That post was getting too long. So anyway, we have a 6 hit key footstool combo on pikachu, 3 on diddy, a 3 hit key footstool combo on shiek, and 3 hit melon combo on bowser.

We get 90% out of one footstool. Tbh, I don't even care that this isn't an infinite. We deplete a stock with this regardless.

I'm going to test this on more top tiers.

Last edited:

GeneralBrwni

Smash Cadet
I tested this on the 3DS, so because the AI doesn't always recover from footstools as fast as possible, it needs further testing with actual people, but this is what I found: If timed correctly, after the third key hit of the footstool z-drop combo, you can fastfall, land on the ground, spam jump to footstool, regrab the key, and continue the combo, possibly indefinitely.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I tested this on the 3DS, so because the AI doesn't always recover from footstools as fast as possible, it needs further testing with actual people, but this is what I found: If timed correctly, after the third key hit of the footstool z-drop combo, you can fastfall, land on the ground, spam jump to footstool, regrab the key, and continue the combo, possibly indefinitely.
Oh please be real...who did you test it on?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Even if this is not an infinite, it is awesome. This is a lot of damage out of a single hit, and let's be serious, this is fancy as ****!

Huge

Smash Apprentice
Once I finish finals I'm going to rev up the ol' YouTube channel and get my Pac-Wonk on. I've been perfecting a few techniques that, while completely impractical, look really damn cool, and I want to share them.

Before that happens, though, I'd really like to get the hang of this footstool thing! There's nothing slicker than footstool combos.

Phampy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Phampy
I can only get 2-3 reps at most from this. But we can in theory combine the buffered ledge jump z-drop technique with this for a sneaky way to set it up. From what I've seen though, it's kind of dependent on a lot of factors. I definitely couldn't get the first footstool consistently.

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
Can you send me a replay with it? I want to see how you do it. I don't need a real game, just start a match do it and finish the match

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
The first footstool -> the repetitions may be able to be rolled out of. Once the reps are going, they're stuck.

Phampy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Phampy
Yeah that's also the impression I'm under. The first footstool into Z-drop needs to be delayed a bit or else you won't be able to get the other reps in and it's that first footstool they could probably roll out of. But if they decide not to roll, the rest is inescapable since you're so low to the ground at that point

Last edited:
Top Bottom