• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ownapalooza XII Tournament - Concord, CA - January 9th, 2011

Naota21t

Smash Champion
Swiss sounds a wonderful idea. Especially because I'm tired of either playing people I can easily beat, or losing to people who are noticeably better, and swiss would hopefully remedy this problem with more even match ups.

WassupJB

Smash Lord
it's bracket until i decide otherwise.

sheridan, lou or phil if you like swiss and want to see it at this tournament talk to me.

ZeldaFreak0309

Smash Journeyman
the problem with swiss is that there's no culminating moment...everyone just plays a bunch of matches all at once and then there's a winner

swiss -> bracket!

Violence

Smash Lord
Swiss is usually set up to have enough rounds so that the best two play in the final round.

This is done by using appropriate seeding.

Imagine people who are better than each other, 1 is better than 2, who is better than 3, etc.

The bracket method is:
1 beats 8
________1 beats 3
3 beats 6
________________1 beats 2
4 beats 5
________2 beats 4
2 beats 7

In a Swiss pairing:

Round 1
1 beats 8
2 beats 7
3 beats 6
4 beats 5

Round 2
1 beats 3
2 beats 4
5 beats 7
6 beats 8

Round 3
1 beats 2
3 beats 4
5 beats 6
7 beats 8

If you notice, the same matchups happened.

You get your most ideal pairing in the last round, basically...

What also happens is that you get a much more accurate determination of everyone's level compared to brackets.

I mainly like it because I hate getting 2 and outed early on.

Violence

Smash Lord
I mean, I'm working on it, but there are more benefits to having swiss than that.

Anyways, I'll leave it up to Sheridan, Phil, and Lucien.

WassupJB

Smash Lord
I know I'm going to regret this, mixed with my minor impulsive interest leading me destined to not care for too long...but explain the story.

Naota21t

Smash Champion
I know I'm going to regret this, mixed with my minor impulsive interest leading me destined to not care for too long...but explain the story.
sheen told me how he used to post in the SLO thread a lot and everyone noticed how he always posted a smiley face in his posts, so they made it a game to find posts of his that don't have smiley faces. but then he found out about the game and as such always has smiley faces in al his posts.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
sheen told me how he used to post in the SLO thread a lot and everyone noticed how he always posted a smiley face in his posts, so they made it a game to find posts of his that don't have smiley faces. but then he found out about the game and as such always has smiley faces in al his posts.
Nope, sometimes at weird times at 2 AM, I don't use an emoticon to give people a chance. So far no one has gotten one of the 2 AM posts yet though. Also I might make a new rule how if it a post within a certain interval, you get more than one point or something. :008:

WassupJB

Smash Lord
if you're at the venue after 11am i'll cut your balls off with a rusty dull spoon.

that is all.

don of all gangstas out.

BOZO500

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else taking bart? If so, or you just so happen to know, what bus should I get on to get to Fudds from Bart? Looking forward to playing at a tournament again.

Scar

#HarveyDent
lol it's after 11 and we haven't left yet

it says like 12:30 on the thread

i'm leaving now

ZodiakLucien

Smash Ace
this is jb on lou's account

1. lunin
2. lucien
3. hmw
4. falcomist
5. darrell
5. the king
7. scar
7. bob$

also someone left a black and red 4gig thumb drive. Post if you think it's yours.

Violence

Smash Lord
****, that was fun... I barely noticed the heat with how much fun I was having.

I had no idea the Bay had so many smashers! I was genuinely surprised.

Did so many friendlies...

Finally got out of last place with a round 1 win... straight into round 2 Jeff Spectre to get *****.

Seriously... I think it took him about 40 seconds to figure me out and then **** me with knees. It got to the point where it felt like his knees were hitting my soul.

And I loved the turnout of skilled players, in addition to the people who turned out from last tournament, we had King, Germ, Scar, and SS, to name a few. It was great to watch all the matches. I got hella hyped.

Seriously... the three tournaments I've been to around here have just been awesome. If you read the boards and don't go to tournaments because of one reason or another, find some way to go to these things. No matter how good or bad you think you are, you're guaranteed to have a good time.

I can't wait for the next tournament now.

Bob Money

Smash Ace
Anyone else taking bart? If so, or you just so happen to know, what bus should I get on to get to Fudds from Bart? Looking forward to playing at a tournament again.
I know its kinda late but for future reference take 10 bus (the one that goes to DVc)
And get off at the willowpass/diamond blvd. You'll see a Dennys on your right .
after that its a 5 min walk to fudds on the same side of the street on diamond.

Top Bottom