• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Overswarm's get everyone better really freaking fast project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sudai

Stuff here
This is a good thread and Overswarm is a good person :bee:

Question: to get out of meatknight's fair/bair, do I need to SDI the first hit? Or the second hit? Can I just ASDI?
There's no ASDI in Brawl.. : (

I'm not too sure if you can't SDI out of MK's B/FAirs, but if you could, you'd need to start the SDI on the first hit at least.

AlAxe said:
What exactly is the difference between smash DI and regular DI or is there a difference?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cttJLmAT5PU

OS, you might want to put that vid in the first post.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Well Ness's running attack and yo-yos can be SDI'd upwards to escape. It's particularly easy on the second hit of his running attack.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
So someone correct me if I'm wrong but smash DI is used to escape multi hit moves by rotating the control stick and cstick in a quarter circle during hitlag. Is this more efffective than regular DI when trying to survive something like a Falcon punch or is it only useful against multi hit moves? My regular DI is very good but this smash DI is still a little bit fuzzy for me.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I"m going to try to explain this once more:

In Smash (and pretty much every game in which you can be attacked) there is a small window of frames after you are attacked in which you are stunned. We call this hitstun. Hitstun is the reason that combos exist in games with combos.
In Smash however, a new layer of depth was added with DI. In All the Smash games, during Hitstun, you can actually move your character. This is Smash DI. To see a clear example of smash DI, go into training mode, decrease the speed of the game to see it better, and have Sheik (or anyone with multi-hit jabs) do their multi hit jab combo on you. first note what happens when you press nothing.
Then do it again, but this time, repeatedly mash your control stick backward. you will see your character move backwards during the hitstun. Again, this is "smash DI"

Regular DI is holding a direction on the control stick while you are being launched from an attack to affect your trajectory. It has nothing to do with hitstun, really. To see this in action, pick ike vs. jiggs in training mode. put jiggs at 30% and Charge a f-smash with ike. It should kill her. Now do the same thing except have the jiggs hold up and forward before she gets launched. she should survive. That's regular DI

In Brawl smash DI is mainly used to get out of multi hit attacks and other combos, but due to the generally very low amounts of hitstun, it doesn't come into play in many other situations. In melee, smash DI came into play much more often and could be used in a bunch of situations. In the original smash bros. there was no "regular DI", smash DI was the only thing you could do.

infomon

Smash Scientist
That was the most clear and concise explanation of this stuff I've seen yet, and answers a couple things I wasn't quite sure about. Thanks!

I think what he meant is how do you perform it most efficiently, does slapping the analogue stick in one direction repeatedly work best or rolling it in a half roll work better or what?
It would depend on the move, and the trajectory you want to use to come out of it, right? But circling gives more smash-DI inputs per unit of time (since each of the 8 different directions count) rather than repeatedly hitting the same direction, so it's probably more "efficient" in that sense..... amirite?

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
Lucario
jab A
f-tilt
u-tilt
fair
dair
fair-->nair
b-side (chain'grab')
neutral b (caught behind it)
LUCARIO:
AAA
F-tilt
U-tilt*
D-tilt
Fair
Dair
Bair
bair is single hit....it's a single, long lasting hitbox

the only multi hits there are the jab, caught in the AS, ftilt, and the dair. The rest are combos and most of them (B> is avoided by most ppl at 35%, fair is DI'd by lighter character at ~80% to avoid a second fair and is easily AD'd anyway. Fair>nair is awesome but is hard to do if they dont shield the fair or are at similarly low percents to fair>fair.

Lucario
jabs (might also want to show how to DI from AA>force palm)
ftilt
dair
behind the AS

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
In Brawl smash DI is mainly used to get out of multi hit attacks and other combos, but due to the generally very low amounts of hitstun, it doesn't come into play in many other situations. In melee, smash DI came into play much more often and could be used in a bunch of situations. In the original smash bros. there was no "regular DI", smash DI was the only thing you could do.
No no no no no. You're confusing hitstun with hitlag. Hitlag is while the move is still hitting you, like when you're frozen from falcon's knee of justice. Hitstun is after you've been hit, but before you can do anything. Or maybe it's vice-versa. :dizzy:
In any case, Brawl has less hitstun, but more hitLAG, which you use to SDI. :bee:

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
Ok. I tried this out in training mode and it was somewhat effective. I'm still slightly unclear on how to manipulate the control stick and c-stick to use this most effectively. One problem I was having was that I would break out of the move but then do accidentaly do an attack because I was using the cstick. I'm not even sure if the cstick helped. Seeing that there have been a lot of different opinions on how to perform smash DI I think we should pool our resources together to come up with a definite best way to perform smash DI. That would eliminate a lot of the confusion on this thread.

infomon

Smash Scientist
My impression from one of the general how-Brawl-works threads (I think it was one about all the different ways to configure the C-stick, and why most of them are useless ;)), is that C-stick set to Smash does act as a slam of the control-stick in a direction; for example, C-stick down in air will cause you to fastfall along with your Dair, if you're able. I would only assume that this means we can use the C-stick as smash-DI.

I would also guess that smashing the control stick left, and then the c-stick left, inputs two smash-DI's to the left (assuming you're in hitlag). Although if they hit on exactly the same frame, then, would that only count as one? Does anyone know exactly how this works?

I would also be afraid to aggressively use the C-stick to smash-DI because of accidentally attacking... especially if there's a way it might get buffered early; although I don't think that's possible, is it? I don't think you can buffer an airdodge during hitlag, even though you can perform it once you're in hitstun. So my guess is during hitlag you can't buffer an attack either, if you were to maybe come out of hitlag with zero hitstun (that can happen, right??). But obviously hitting c-stick the moment you're free will cause an undesirable attack.

Geez, now I'm getting all very confused about how Brawl works... I'ma go experiment in training mode.........

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Hitting on the same frame makes them only count as one, yes.

Hitting the c-stick is to just like hitting a direction on the control stick and A. This is why holding Z when you hit with the c-stick causes you to charge the smash; since Z acts as an attack button, it is "holding" the charge.

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
My impression from one of the general how-Brawl-works threads (I think it was one about all the different ways to configure the C-stick, and why most of them are useless ;)), is that C-stick set to Smash does act as a slam of the control-stick in a direction; for example, C-stick down in air will cause you to fastfall along with your Dair, if you're able. I would only assume that this means we can use the C-stick as smash-DI.

I would also guess that smashing the control stick left, and then the c-stick left, inputs two smash-DI's to the left (assuming you're in hitlag). Although if they hit on exactly the same frame, then, would that only count as one? Does anyone know exactly how this works?

I would also be afraid to aggressively use the C-stick to smash-DI because of accidentally attacking... especially if there's a way it might get buffered early; although I don't think that's possible, is it? I don't think you can buffer an airdodge during hitlag, even though you can perform it once you're in hitstun. So my guess is during hitlag you can't buffer an attack either, if you were to maybe come out of hitlag with zero hitstun (that can happen, right??). But obviously hitting c-stick the moment you're free will cause an undesirable attack.

Geez, now I'm getting all very confused about how Brawl works... I'ma go experiment in training mode.........
I think the control stick needs to be in neutral for you to SDI with the c-stick. :bee:

J4pu

Smash Champion
can one of you guys who actually understands what's going on give a complete explanation in a VERY noob friendly manner? especially on this quarter circle DI thing that I'm having such a hard time understanding.

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
can one of you guys who actually understands what's going on give a complete explanation in a VERY noob friendly manner? especially on this quarter circle DI thing that I'm having such a hard time understanding.
anybody, correct me if I'm off on anything

Smash DI is when you smash the control stick (or the c-stick apparently, just not at the exact same time). When you do this your character fumps in that direction as opposed to normal DI where you just counter the direction of the attack and hold it for a more steady influence. Smash DI is more sporatic and more controlable, but is mainly used (at least for me) in lengthy multi hits like zelda's usmash or link's usmash because i have **** reaction times necesary to get out of something like MK's fair.
--i could probably dumb it down A LOT if you need me to

unsure about this so this is probably going to be quoted for being wrong >_>
The quarter circle thing isn't necesary, just mash cstick or control stick in the direction you want to escape (or, on the rare chance it's desired--into the attack can be done)

ThrillCkr419

Smash Rookie
I play with Pikachu a lot and these are some of the ones noticed(I don’t think they were all mentioned):

Pikachu
Jab
Dash attack (I have had people trap me in 2-3 of these at low percents example: Bowser)
Dtilt
Utilt
Dsmash
Usmash
Fair
Bair
Dair
Uair
Down B
Up B

If you need an explanation about why I think these are multi hit just tell me. I know some were repeated but I didn’t want to miss any.

Overswarm, is there any way you can compile them into one post so we can check to see if we are missing any?

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
I play with Pikachu a lot and these are some of the ones noticed(I don’t think they were all mentioned):

Pikachu
Jab
Dash attack (I have had people trap me in 2-3 of these at low percents example: Bowser)
Dtilt
Utilt
Dsmash
Usmash
Fair
Bair
Dair
Uair
Down B
Up B
uair, thunder, QA, dash, usmash, dair are NOT multi hits....

btw, welcome to the boards

ThrillCkr419

Smash Rookie
uair, thunder, QA, dash, usmash, dair are NOT multi hits....

btw, welcome to the boards
Look at what overswarm said:

An example is something like this:

Metaknight

Forward-air
Back-air
U-air
Neutral B (tornado)
Side B (Drill)
F-tilt
D-tilt

You'll notice that in that list I added u-air and d-tilt. Even though they aren't really multi-hit moves, they're used as such. At close range, you can d-tilt or u-air multiple times with MK to get several hits when your opponent can't do anything.
Did you notice the part where he mentions metaknight's uair and dtilt? Thats what uair, thunder, QA, dash, usmash, dair were like.

Just so I'm clear multi hit would mean more than 1, right? Because some
of these were double hits.

Here are the explanations (keep in mind I tested all of these on bowser at 0%):
uair- very similar to the way metaknight's works, if your opponent is in the air you can get a few hits in
thunder- I was in between the blue sparks pikachu gives off and the bolt and got hit twice
QA- I spaced it so that the first ended right near bowser then went straight down(i got 2 hits). I also went across him and back, but i'm not sure if it counts.
dash- if you use your dash attack then follow up with another one as fast as you can you can usually get 2-3 hits in from 0%(because you hit them when they fall down
usmash- walk right up to bowser and keep hitting up C you will get multiple hit in(he sort of bounces)
dair- this one was tricky but i'm still pretty it is a multi hit. there are two attacks with this: the part in the air I think it did 12 or 16 %(not sure), and the part when it hits the ground it does 4% I think (if you land on the ground next to somebody with this it will give them 4 damage). So, the way to get the multi hit is this: you jump towards them and use the dair (1st hit) then land close to them so they get the 4 damage (2nd hit).

I thought if the move could do more than 1 hit to any character at any precent it would count. If that isn't what Overswarm was looking for maybe somebody could explain to me what he meant.

xiferp

Smash Apprentice
So is quarter circle DI almost always the better choice?

J4pu

Smash Champion
um thrill, Thunder is never a combo move, it has startup lag which stops it from ending combos and ending lag as well as a decent knockback that keeps it from starting them.

EDIT- After reading you thunder reasoning I'm just gunna say that i guess you're right but chances are it isn't a big deal since the double hit range is small, but i guess still worth mentioning so ignore the non-edited part

Mighty_mo76

Smash Apprentice
Overswarm, this is your mother speaking.

Are you slacking again? This project IS a good idea (not WAS).

Finish what you started young man. If you need help with vids etc, say so.

Dinners ready. Don't forget to clean your room.

Srzly, lets do this. Tell me what you need and I'll see

if I can organize some of my servants to do it.

(This isn't a power play. Your thread, your reules, but if you don't do somethin, this will die. ^_^)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'd like to work on this, but I rarely have time. You guys don't really need me for it anyways... record videos yourselves and you can get it! I can only get it when I hvae time and someone willing to help me, both of which are in short supply. :(

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
I love DI. DI'ing ness back throw is fun... especially when they expect it to kill.

You can also DI pit's and diddy kongs fsmashes.. i have vids were i do this, if anyone wants to upload them.

Mighty_mo76

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to work on this, but I rarely have time. You guys don't really need me for it anyways... record videos yourselves and you can get it! I can only get it when I hvae time and someone willing to help me, both of which are in short supply. :(
Yezzir. I feel you FOR SURE! time and resources are so limited.

I hate my life too (in that respect) I will see what I can do. (school comes first)

Trying to upload stuff to youtube, but I have a new system (dvd rec) going on and I haven't figured out the quirks.

Cool. I just wanted to bump this thread.

Mith_

Smash Champion
I can't believe I just read all 13 pages of this.

But, I can't complain. It's helped a lot. Hopefully I won't get KO'ed at 80% anymore by attacks I can DI out of!

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
Great idea Overswarm. I appreciate your ideals and enthusiasm towards this type of thing and getting everyone "good". Too often are there players that play the game with the simplest thing holding them back from competiting at a high level and often they feel they can't catch up. It's people with your mindset on this that get the masses of players to that next level so everyone can have a little more fun.
Kudos.

Also, sad about the time thing, so true. Sadly I'm unable to help but I would if I coule. Maybe one day something like this will happen for the better. Good to see the effort though ;)

Tenki

Smash Hero
Hmm..

Can't SDI out of Snake's F-tilt?

If he's too close, I think it's possible to SDI behind him. Not sure about doing SDI to get away from it when you're at max range though `.`;

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Hmm..

Can't SDI out of Snake's F-tilt?

If he's too close, I think it's possible to SDI behind him. Not sure about doing SDI to get away from it when you're at max range though `.`;
This is true. However... if you're that close it is such a rarity that I didn't count it. That's like saying you can DI out of D3's dair if you are above him and get hit with only a tiny part of it; it's kind of a 'duh' thing that is really rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom