• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Overswarm Monthlies 1 - 6/30/2012

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
OS, I'm definitely going to need those payouts. And was this MK Banned or Legal?

Good stuff with the successful run of this tournament format, btw!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
OS, I'm definitely going to need those payouts. And was this MK Banned or Legal?

Good stuff with the successful run of this tournament format, btw!
MK banned, as always.

I used the top 6 payout.

1st 48%
2nd 22%
3rd 14%
4th 8%
5th 4%
6th 4%

I don't remember the exact payout, but I believe there were 310 people. I actually took some money out of my own pocket to make the payouts less "weird" and give people 0.50 instead of 0.40 or an extra dollar here or there to make it an even break in bills and whatnot, but didn't change the payouts too much.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
He means within the confines of the midwest. No one here will ever regularly decide to travel to large tournaments on the EC and WC and Texas as opposed to local events.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Ehhhhh... No wonder those regions don't like us Midwesterns.
The midwest won't ever be as good as the other coasts because while we can have individual players that are as good, we don't have the tournament density. If you travel anywhere in Ohio or Kentucky or Indiana you get the same players for the most part. You have to drive like 5 hours to play new people on a regular basis.

To have good players in a region you need:

1) Lots of players
2) The best of those players playing each other a lot
3) The best of those players being able to play new groups and playing their best players

That's why the best players are always the ones that play with the best people and the ones that travel the most. The effect lasts for quite some time, but you can see mediocre players become good by just playing. A lot.

But there's a skill limit that you can't surpass just by playing with the same people, and traveling to one big tournament doesn't solve the problem either. I'm doing 4th of july stuff this weekend instead of a tournament. I won't have another tournament that I know of until I host my next one.

The amount of Brawl I will play will be minimal, and I will lose whatever improvements I've made over the past weekend.

However, if I told Tako and Kel "we're gonna get 1st and 2nd at every tournament" and we played once or twice a week and went to a tournament every weekend, you'd SEE that advancement within a short timeframe. Eventually we'd cap out, and we'd have to travel farther.

At some point in that process, you say "eh, I don't feel like it". You want to get better, but not put in the work. That's how it goes. It takes more time to improve the better you get, and it can be a drag. Midwest doesn't want to drive 6 hours every weekend.

Kel

Smash Master
MW is bad and no matter how many "I want to get better!" posts KB and TC make, it's not going to change the fact that we live in an area that is nearly impossible to improve with. That's not to say that it isn't possible, as there have been maybe 8 people from the MW that have been able to put a dent in brackets outside of our own region. Being one of them, I understand how hard I had to work just to improve a slight bit. When MLG was announced, I completely changed my playstyle and mental style toward how I approached the game. I went around asking all of the best players of each character what their opinions are of match ups, stages, etc. I wrote this all down in notebooks and Word documents. I studied every single video available in 2010 and asked "why did that guy get hit? Could it have been avoided? What advantage was he trying to press by putting himself in that position?" If I noticed a habit of a certain player, I wrote that person in a binder that I took to all tournaments with me.

With all of these changes, I was making steady improvements with my out-of-region placements. I could feel myself getting better. I understood the game mechanics and metagame further. My MLG placements were improving and I was getting 1st at both pools at Apex. I felt that if MLG would have picked us up for another year, I could definitely be a threat and at least go pro (I was one placement away at MLG DC from being pro and getting the stipend for Dallas.

Then MLG dropped us and I lost all interest in improving. The effort you have to put in to excel at this game is NOT WORTH what you get in return when you live in the Midwest. You have to sacrifice so much from "real" life (such as running your car into the ground with gas mileage, hanging out with non-smash friends, playing other games you may enjoy, etc.) that in the end, you're better off just enjoying the MW's company and having fun going to tournaments. This is the point that everyone is at right now. Just because you say you want to get better doesn't mean you want to put the effort forth to get better. No one in our area is naturally talented enough to break out like Shugo did. Shugo was a rarity and is naturally gifted at Smash. Everyone else has to work harder to get where Shugo is currently. It is possible, but it's not fun, and it's not worth the trade off.

You are welcome to try, and I will help anyone I can when you ask for my advice or opinion. Just don't get all pissy when I assume that you're blowing smoke out of your *** about getting better when you are not putting forth the effort to improve.

Ralph impresses me more and more each time I see him. Overswarm has noticed the same thing, and we generally have a knack for noticing when someone has potential. Ralph may not live in an area where it is optimal to nurture his natural talent, but he has tons of potential and he's interested in learning. He always asks what he did wrong and asks for help after each match, regardless of winning or losing. He also has shown the ability to pick up abstract concepts and advanced feel for his character. He still has many basic habits that hold him back currently. He will break those habits, and he will be a force in the MW. If you don't believe me, just wait. I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings by saying Ralph has potential; I will be sure to consider your feelings before developing my personal opinion next time.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I don't even remember the last time I made an "I want to get better!" post. I've been practicing hard again like the old days, yes, but the fact is that my love for Soul Calibur V and Marvel are both taking precedence over my drive for Smash and I've been practicing just as hard in those because of it.

Also - whether natural talent is the reason for it or not, there are still players out there like Salem who developed the way they did strictly through playing wifi, way before getting any offline exposure in his bustling area. Not being able to improve due to location is a poor excuse. Now...not being able to attend tournaments as frequently because of where you live is something I could empathize with, but when we're strictly talking about improving at the game - there is no valid excuse for that. None.

Hop on that wifi, adjust to it, find some good out of region players, and practice just as you would if you were sitting right next to them. I play Meek very frequently, get bodied by Anti on occasion, spar with Chi every now and then, play people from Michigan, Texas, California, all along the Eastern seaboard, etc; doubles with MJG and other random people to continue working on doubles fundamentals, and so on. It works. Sparta Kick would have made me bite the pillow and go in dry in the Snake/Peach matchup just like Infern usually does (no homo) otherwise. The practice is paying off.

But for the sake of comparison...if we're going to ***** about location disadvantage here - guess who, out of all of us, had the biggest disadvantage here? That's right: Me. I'm not naturally talented and able to get away with not practicing like Shugo, I don't have random people who play the game to body and stay in practice like Blue Rogue did, I literally had no one to practice with. You, the original God Kais, and everyone else down in Cincinnati/Kentucky had it MADE back in the days of the bustling Southern Ohio scene. If anyone knows about what it takes to improve in any capacity in an isolated circumstance...it's me.

Pessimism and realism be damned baby. **** that ****.

God Kais!

Kel

Smash Master
We created our scene by advertising, getting our friends involved, and helping whenever possible.

Cleveland is one of the largest cities in the US. It is much bigger than Cincinnati. You cannot tell me that you and Shugo are the only ones in the entire area that are interested in competitive smash. You just have to find them.

SoulPech

Smash Master
For the longest time, Columbus has been dead since AZ hasn't been hosting and the most experienced players either stopped playing or stopped attending tournaments. A few months ago, Juu, Keist, and myself have slowly began reviving Columbus. Advertisements have been posted on Facebook and there have been Smashfests every Wednesday. Since then, some of the old players (AZ, Papa Z, and Quivo) began playing again and some new players have been showing up. Among them is Carls. I am hoping we can grow enough to where we can start hosting tournaments and Cleveland and Cincinatti can come up. A couple weeks ago, there was a small Columbus tourney where some Cinci people and Kryz came out. It was a lot of fun and the new players had a feel of what Smash tournaments were like.

You just got to make yourself known and advertise. Eventually, you'll have some players that will be interested.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Alright then, if you want to fine tune these values, be my guest.

1. Krystedez :wario: :pit: ($148.80)
2. Kel :marth: ($68.20)
3. MX :yoshi2: :fox: ($43.40)
4. Tako :dedede: :rob: ($24.80)
5. Carls :fox: ($12.40)
6. Xisin :marth: ($12.40)

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
1: Ralph Cecil
Fun games mate, it was very interesting to see your reading skills had been improved and your bad habits replaced with secret power!! I was just like "wut, he seems to know exactly what he wants and has me where he wants me... this is scary... (peers over >______>) Keep improving and wrecking **** man!

1: MX
Your yoshi just did the impossible; beat my Pit. Congrats. But too bad I had to beat you right back! Excellent games and it was great seeing you again.

1: Tako
That dedede is poo go back to Rob yo. :rob: Thanks for the games tho~ it was fun!

1: Kel
Defensive marth is best marth lololol I loved our matches, too intense.

1: HadesBlade
Doubles titans! EGG AND STINK!1!

6: Lumi
It was nice to see you again, sorry we didn't get to play :(

6: Krystedez
It was NOrFAIR that you got to play your favorite stage :x

6: Chi
Was very fun playing you, I'm glad you found your iPod and we got a good match. Not as many mistakes haha. Looking forward to playing you again!

6: Mister Eric
Bah we didn't get to play really. Oh well. Nice seeing you again Eric :)

6: Overswarm
Epic tourney was epic. It was DAYLIGHT for the first time walking out of a tournament man!

11: Xisin
It was great getting to play you, it seems that you need to unrust a bit. I had fun in our matches both singles and doubles !

11: Carls
Just work on that predication and predictable traits man, and you'll be golden with Fox. Gotta rush them down sometime ya know? You beat me convincingly at Columbus last time, so I think something changed when I figured out your style a bit more heh. Keep working at it~

11: XeroXen
It was great hanging and driving out with you guys. Wish you coulda showed them your Top 5 Mario in third wave mate.

11: ShadowPhoenix
It was nice seeing you again.

11: Keist
Too bad we didn't get to play to get that exp. :(

16: RodStephens
Don't think we met or I remember playing you... :x

16: Kassandra
Great friendlies/matches, and it was nice seeing you again. That peach is a baws I swear.

16: Wrath
Don't think we got to play.
16: Juu
Nice pittos heh. I always look forward to seeing/playing you. Maybe one day you'll be able to wreck me with your shiek in pools/bracket or something, we hardly ever play eachother where it matters LOL. (Not that friendlies don't matter but you know what I mean)

16: SoulPerch
Best Jiggs

21: Silver
Didn't get to play you.

21: Flygon
We played in first wave pools, you were the one of the luigis I think. Fun games !

21: RyanReed
Didn't get to play.

21: Ducky
Epic doubles takeover for Indiana. Thanks for driving all the way out here for me to go! I appreciate it. So does Hades Im sure haha. Awesome ride and time with ya.

21: Cool1
Cool? cool.

26: Josh
No idea.

26: Jeremiah
The other luigi, you were scary dude, ggs!

26: Vicious
Who?

26: Remii
Not sure.

26: Saber
Nope.

31: LunaLang
I think I got to talk to you for a short amount of time. Nice seeing you again!

clowsui

Smash Legend
Shoutouts. Swag swag

1: Ralph Cecil - GGs Ralph. I'll give you a better match next time lol

1: MX - Can't wait to play you in tournament again, you're still improving =D That's awesome.

1: Tako - YOU KNOW WHO ELSE DOES BADLY IN TOURNAMENTS?

MY MOOOOOOM

1: Kel - teach me Marth ditto

1: HadesBlade - sorry for raging. I'll learn the MU.

6: Lumi - actualy is matanite

6: Krystedez - GGs. I missed a few Up Bs game 2 that would've brought me to g3 :(

6: Chi - scrub

6: Mister Eric - We'll play online sometime.

6: Overswarm - RETRIBUTION will be MK banned. Please come, it'll be in October. Can't wait for the next one

11: Xisin - I'll get you next time :mad:

11: Carls - No one from Cinci will lose to you at the next CSRBT :embarrass: good job at this tourney

11: XeroXen - Sorry for Falco ;)

11: ShadowPhoenix - didn't get to play why :( I want a rematch of MK v Marth

11: Keist - GGs in pools. Frigate qq

16: RodStephens - who is this and are you from the Cinci area? Come to this http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=323165

16: Kassandra - Kassy bear! You'll do better next time

16: Wrath - See you at the next CSRBT. I'll teach you some things

16: Juu - Fun games dude. Megaman 2 strong

16: SoulPerch - Legendary Jiggs didn't make it out of pools? Uh oh :( See you at the next CSRBT

21: Silver - See you at the next CSRBT! I saw some of your games, pretty good ;) I'll give you some tips next time

21: Flygon - Who is this and are you from the Cinci area? Come to this http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=323165

21: RyanReed - Keep coming out to tournaments man. We can help you get better real quick :) Here's the thread for CSRBT, aka the local tournies that happen regularly: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=323165

21: Ducky - good friendlies. You have an airdodge habit coming down

21: Cool1 - Seriously impressed. I can help you improve if you keep coming to tournies man. Come to this http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=323165

26: Josh - Who are you and are you from the Cinci area? Come to this http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=323165

26: Jeremiah - Who are you and are you from the Cinci area? Come to this http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=323165

26: Vicious - GGs in pools. We'll have to play some Melee sometime!

26: Remii - Randi! You'll be a star Marth in no time <3 Just work on the things I said you should. See you at the next CSRBT

26: Saber - I will personally help you out next time man. I'm excited to see that you want to improve. See you at the next CSRBT

31: LunaLang - Good games Steph =D

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
This was a very good read (at the posts above) and I'll get to the shoutouts soon.

I usually forget in the heat of sets (or coming off them), but I will definitely remember to start asking now. If anyone who played me during the weekend or watched me play (and can remember the set or something) tell me some things they noticed about my play style, decision making and whatnot, I would very much appreciate it.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Your problem has shifted from character control issues to doing things that don't effectively exert pressure on the opponent. I didn't ever feel like I was in danger of losing the overall stage control battle nor was I really worried about losing the lead

Also as somebody who forced himself out of his own shell in order to grow the Smash community all I want to say is that Eddie when it comes to the size of your scene you're limited by yourself lol, not your environment. Cinci scene came as a result of efforts by me + Dr. X + Kel + OS + God Kais to aggressively expand the scene in SWOH early on. It just so happened that KY/IN were in on it too early on along w Smashfield and things just rocketed from there

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
Yanno OS is right... eventually you hit a point where to becomes very difficult to improve, you analyze the situation then decide if its worth the time (and hassle) to improve or not. I really loved 09-10 smash :) had a blast... unfortunately I graduated college and got a job where I have to work a lot of Saturdays at. When I was unable to attend more tournaments I just lost the drive to play/practice at all. (although I do make an effort to go to tournaments still.)

Would I like to improve? you betcha! Is it likely? hard telling, with how busy my Saturdays get now. Hopefully I can request them off more.

Shoutouts to the midwest for being a great community of people, smash really is no fun without you guys (Wi-fi just doesnt cut it anymore)

LunaLang

Smash Rookie
1: Ralph Cecil: GJ
1: MX: GJ getting 3rd
1: Tako: You managed to sleep past registration and still placed, awesome job Tako :p
1: Kel: Good job taking 2nd! See you this weekend!
1: HadesBlade: GJ
6: Lumi: GJ
6: Krystedez: Congrats on taking 1st in both singles and doubles! ^_^
6: Chi: GGs! Your Marth is so fast XD
6: Mister Eric: GJ
6: Overswarm: I think I gave you enough compliments about how this was run on the car ride back :p
11: Xisin: GJ taking 6th
11: Carls: GJ taking 5th, and thanks for commissioning bead art ^_^
11: XeroXen: GGs
11: ShadowPhoenix: GJ
11: Keist: Always a pleasure breaking games with you, and Dominion was pretty neat, too. You should bring your boxes this weekend!
16: RodStephens: GJ
16: Kassandra: That Vampire Savior [or whatever it's called] game was pretty neat
16: Wrath: GGs
16: Juu: Nice seeing you again
16: SoulPerch: GJ
21: Silver: GJ
21: Flygon: GJ
21: RyanReed: GGs
21: Ducky: GJ
21: Cool1: GJ
26: Josh: GJ
26: Jeremiah: Your Luigi was pretty vicious in our friendlies before the tournament, GJ
26: Vicious: GGs! and good luck at FC!
26: Remii: GJ
26: Saber: GJ
31: LunaLang: taking stocks is better than taking nothing!

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Your problem has shifted from character control issues to doing things that don't effectively exert pressure on the opponent. I didn't ever feel like I was in danger of losing the overall stage control battle nor was I really worried about losing the lead

Also as somebody who forced himself out of his own shell in order to grow the Smash community all I want to say is that Eddie when it comes to the size of your scene you're limited by yourself lol, not your environment. Cinci scene came as a result of efforts by me + Dr. X + Kel + OS + God Kais to aggressively expand the scene in SWOH early on. It just so happened that KY/IN were in on it too early on along w Smashfield and things just rocketed from there
I was referring to the past; I was still living at home, wasn't working the job or making the money that I do now, didn't have the kind of unlimited "come and go" priviledges that I do now, etc. - around the same time period that Xisin cited: '09-'10. I've been talking to people and doing my part to slowly garner interest in the NEOH scene now (essentially playing ambassador), along with Alyssa's great efforts and word of mouth from my friends. It's progressing slowly but at least I have people to play/train up from scratch now. But back then, and even now to an extent, wi-fi is doing wonders for me when I play tough people and really focus on improving the most subtle things. If people think Ralph has the most potential out of anyone in the Midwest right now (major props to Ralph btw, no hate)...we'll just have to see. ;)

Also, good job MX! I'm so proud of how you've been steadily improving. Now you're even beating Kry's Pit which is no easy feat. :)

Jiffyboob

Smash Lord
MX and Ralph making believers out of people. I see you there too Carls, getting it done!!!

Congrats to the placers and OS for running a great tourney it seems like. Hope to see as many of you as I can in 2 1/2 weeks at RAGE. :)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I think the next monthly might actually be on the same weekend, but I dunno. Have to call up arcade legacy and confirm and get an august date set up.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Don't even have 'em anymore. Also give exactly 0 ****s about the PR.

clowsui

Smash Legend
While you might others do? Idk just some thoughts.

Whatever. MX, Kel, Tako, Lumi, Carls give me your wins from this tournament.

I think I figured it out I just wanna double check

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
I think I remember beating Flygon, Overswarm, ShadowPhoenix, MX, Xisin, Lumi and Kassandra. Maybe less than these few.

I'm sure there were more players I won against, but these are off the top of my head right now. They're either 2-1 or 2-0 in my favor.

MX778

Smash Journeyman
I beat Krystedez, Flygon, Jeremiah, Kassandra, Carls, XeroXen, Hadesblade, Xisin (x2), Mister Eric, andddd Tako. Then proceeded to get ***** in final pools by Carls (0-2) and took Kel and Krys (second time around) to game 3. :p

Oh and thanks guys, I appreciate it. Looking forward to seeing/playing with you guys at Rage!
Also, I give some mad props to Kel and his Marth. It was WAAAAAAAY better than I expected. .___.

Kel

Smash Master
Thanks for all the Marth love, guys. He is REALLY hit or miss for me. On Saturday, I felt that I was playing my best; however, at Vengeance, I felt I had never played worse. I also felt like I was playing really well at How the Midwest was won. I either do really well with him, or get destroyed really hard. We will see if I can do anything with him consistently.

I beat everyone but Kyz that I played.

Kel

Smash Master
According to Inui logic I'm the baddest mo-fo in the universe because I am 1-0 against Inui in both singles AND teams.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Next of these tournaments is July 21st, btw! Check the original thread for more details. Same shindig.

Top Bottom