• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Ontario Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogel

Smash Lord
100% agree with fogel on this...

also with lucas, camp on the LHS of the level, and pike thunder... pretty safely camp for the rest of the match, just gotta stall for a sec once a car comes...

also, i thought it was chester vs. rob, and that video is up on youtube
WarranThad is Rob's swf name :)

Suo

Smash Apprentice
Suo, if you ever come to a Smashfest, I can lend you a PS2 -> USB adapter. Harold's got it at the moment, but I doubt he's touched it since the arcade stick came in. I think they're about $15 online, but you (or anybody here, for that matter) can try it out if you like.
Awesome! I would definitely take you up on that :D Thanks!

Hope the smashfest was good, sign me up for singles this week, I'm trekking it even if it kills me.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Wow, only 4 spots left for the bi-weekly. **** you guys work fast.

I personally don't want to change Corneria and Onett into counter picks, but FFYF had Corneria on and Harold made a valid argument so I considered it. Unless the opinion of the masses change, chances are I won't be changing those 2 into counterpicks.

However, I would like to argue for Picto Chat though. I personally find it to be FD with stage hazards. No one has a significant advantage on that map and everyone has a significant disadvantage as well. Techniques like the KingAce could be stopped on that level depending of the situation and campers would have to move once in a while to avoid or better position themselves.

to recap, I think Dicto Chat wouldn't be a great counter pick stage, but it has the qualities of one.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
Just a thing about onett. Im pretty sure the cars dont kill at ridicously low percentags anymore. I think you can take one at around 200% but I may be on crack. Although wall infinites to car would be a pretty broken strat.

I dont really see camping being that much of an issue before, Although Harold is known for camping, after that first Jungle Japes victory I havent really seen him camp that much (It hasnt worked out for him).

Id like to have picto chat on random next week (friendlies) to see whether its truly gay or not. I just really hate some of the interference portions such as the boxes. But we should test it out.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Put my brother down for the next biweekly. As well, he and I will be joining forces once again, this time as Team Niko!

As for the levels, Spear Pillar is banned via divine law, Pirate Ship's killer explosions aren't that easy to see coming and avoid when you have an opponent all over you, Corneria has a permanent car-less wall so that's a huge no-no, and Picto Chat's hazards, while mild in their own right, are so game altering and random that they interfere with matches instead of matches taking place around them.

The only one (haha, get it? 'One'? 'One-tt'? ... ... ... If you don't get it, go play Earthbound you heathen!) *ahem* the only one worth unbanning is Onett. After extensive testing I've found nothing wrong with it. That you can get hit by a car while being chain grabbed only works in your favor since your attacker has just received the same large chunk of damage that you did. If they want to avoid getting hit, they have to stop the grabbing in time - freeing you to avoid the car as well. Chain grabs don't have time to inflict much damage as the cars come VERY frequently. Dedede will do more damage with his chain grab on FD than on Onett; it very much discourages chain grabbing. Seriously, go play on it a bit and you'll love to love it.

if onnett is meant to 'give less viable characters a better chance' than the level is not neutral, and specifically gives advantages to some characters over others, thereby ensuring it's ban status....
All of the "neutral" stages give advantages to one character over another. It's in the nature of the game. With Snake's dominating field control Battlefield and Smashville should counterpicks. ROB's at a huge advantage on Final Destination so that should be a counter as well, etc. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the neutral/counterpick method of stage choosing. I'm of the opinion that if a stage is legal it should be pickable from the first match (randomly). That players get to ban a stage or two before the matches should be the only real deciding factor on which levels might be played on. Maybe one day. ;)

Onett: I don't see how people think the cars make the infinites unusable; all it means is that you now have an easy way to KO people after you're done infiniting them. Even if you can't kill them, wall combo + 30+% damage from car = lame. This is actually why Onett was banned in Melee, and why it should stay banned in Brawl.
'Infinites' can't do more than 30% before the cars come, which is no different than what they can do in the neutral levels. The cars in Melee were devastating but these are very tame. Either both characters get hit by them or neither does so they don't give any advantage to the aggressor.

also with lucas, camp on the LHS of the level, and pike thunder... pretty safely camp for the rest of the match, just gotta stall for a sec once a car comes...
It's easier to camp on Jungle Japes than it is on Onett. Lucas' PK Thunder isn't good for camping as he has significant delay after using it as well as an extremely high chance that he'll be run over long before he does anything useful with it. I've tried it, it doesn't work. Thunder isn't that great either. When a car comes it leaves him open to attack as you jump in while he's either forced to block or jumps into a disadvantageous position.

I really recommend that everybody do these three things:

1. Play extensively on Onett. Try out all of the cheap tricks you feel justify a ban and see how well they hold up. Perhaps I'm missing something? If I am I've yet to see it.

2. Play Mother 1, 2, 3. Some of the best RPGs ever.

3. Compare the real Onett to the Melee level and wonder how the hell they couldn't have made it at least mildly similar to the real deal.

buenob

Smash Lord
i dunno about other characters but R.O.B's dtilt infinite racks up damage pretty danged fast...

while i wouldn't be extensively against it, there are still 2 walk off ledges... dedede = sitting on the edge facing the outside, bair wop and projectile spam, if they come in, chaingrab for the kill...

i honestly think that it is a fun level for friendlies, but the ability to 'camp' near the edges really can't be ignored, all the cars and walls aside... any char with a projectile and decent kill potential (read rob / dedede) could probably figure out a way to turn onett into an unfortunate time..

not to mention a marth that's winning just going to the RHS and spamming fsmash for easy kills... hard to get in on him, can't projectile spam him, and he'll kill you with a tip if you're not at 0%, and i don't even want to think about what Meta-Gays shuttle loop against the wall will do...

too much stall tactics, not enough brawling...
--

also, anyone at FFYF knows i used every one of my level bans to get rid of pictionary, so people know where i stand on that lol

arsenic41

Smash Ace
I agree with Ben on this one...I'm not concerned about the infinites, but the fact that someone like Snake can get a kill, run to the LHS, create a wall of explosives and stall most if not the whole match.

Actually, almost everyone can just stall.

infomon

Smash Scientist
So then you just PKT him from far away. Or throw your own grenades at him, or whatever. He's still gotta dodge cars from a very dangerous spot; this should let you put pressure on him from afar.

I dunno, I just can't see those strategies being game-breakingly effective. Let's give at least Onett a chance in friendlies, and see how many controllers break in frustration.

Edit: (addition)

i dunno about other characters but R.O.B's dtilt infinite racks up damage pretty danged fast...
Just because we all suck on a level, (or the level just sucks,) doesn't mean it should be banned. IMO.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
The right side of the chimney at Onett highly encourages Olimar to safely camp there. My cousin did it on me on my last stock, I tried to Lucario bAir, but he got me with a Blue and killed me.

buenob

Smash Lord
well ROB is my main... and I think onnet will give him a huge unfair advantage over other people.. so... and also, if the level just sucks, why not ban it? it's gotta suck for a reason

i think lylat cruise is bad, but it doesn't _suck_... hannenbow! that level i can't stand... <suck>Hannenbow</suck> but i digress...

arsenic41

Smash Ace
oh yeah, there are only 3 spots left for the bi-weekly on the coming friday, so those who want in will have to post now or soon.

infomon

Smash Scientist
well ROB is my main... and I think onnet will give him a huge unfair advantage over other people.. so... and also, if the level just sucks, why not ban it? it's gotta suck for a reason
And I main Sonic, so your camping will ruin me. I still wanna try to learn how to counter it, though.

I assume you're being somewhat facetious, but nevertheless.... the problem with banning what sucks, is that's not a standard we can apply to outsiders. I think Rainbow Cruise sucks, but if I don't get practice on it then I'll just get screwed when I go to tournaments elsewhere. Hanenbow sucks, but the real problem is that it's too big (with a large dangerous chasm between sections), so you'll get problems with circling/stalling, etc. IMO....

arsenic41

Smash Ace
alright, but just a future reference... I am in charge of the Bi-weekly, so telling Cameron won't get you on the registrations :p. So next time just post of SWF,then I'll put you on.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
ha...The registrations have barely been on for a day and already there is only 1 spot remaining.

buenob

Smash Lord
i guess it's just semantics... maybe "unplayable" would be a better word for it... hanenbow sucks because it has the large chasm between and there are circling/stalling problems, not separate things (just explaining the way i think lol)

anyways... i'd be more than happy to play a couple friendlies to test it out, but i find camping in the traditional sense doesn't work so well... there's a fine line between poor pattern play and proper zoning, and I feel like the statements I made will corner me into playing the first to prove a point as opposed to the second... it's hard to explain in writing (also i'm too lazy to type it all up) but I look forward to showing what i mean in friendlies :)

Retlaf

Smash Apprentice
Hello!!!!! just confirming my coming to friday's biweekly.

About scarlet weather rhapsody, that post was here:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5188050#post5188050

I actually haven't tried the direct download, so if it fails, finding a torrent should be easy. Just watch out that you don't get the demo, and upgrade to the latest version afterward.

Alternatively, I'll bring my laptop+ISO this friday, so if anyone wants it, bring a CD.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
So... you like stuff?

I read alot more of those customer vs employee dialogues. Some people are so... I fear for the human race :(. Maybe the Large Hadron Collider will end it all :p. Go Higgs Particle!

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
Customer vs Employee? Come to Zellers. We'll show you true fear for the human race. And remember: Stupider people procreate more frequently than smart people =)

Anyways, if I'm going with Harold it's as Team So i herd u leik mudkipz?

If he disagrees, well I don't have to be partner.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Too late, your team name is already Team "QQ why isn't Onett a counter pick T_T"

by the way...I couldn't find SWR but I DID find Imaterial and Missing Power, I have to say the gameplay is totally different from the ones I grew up with. But its still pretty fun, but its fustrating trying to figure out the controls.

Retlaf

Smash Apprentice
SWR is currently at 1.04. Last I checked it was 1.02, I wonder what they changed since...
http://202.222.30.246/touhou105/download.html

I have some bad news, ben. I spoke too soon at 11:30 and it looks like you'll have to partner with Colin this week. :O I've made plans to meet up with an old high school friend who I haven't seen since, uhh, high school. Although she's a gamer so maybe I can pull a Mike+crew and force to to come watch me play. XD

OH WELL WE'LL GIVE everyone ELse a chance to win ya?

Sorry.

Edit:
I found IAMP to be more like a standard fighter than SWR, and it was a bit harder to play. KINDA similar to how melee is to brawl?

You can try this torrent for SWR, but it doesn't look too lively.
http://www.mininova.org/tor/1493012

arsenic41

Smash Ace
SWR is currently at 1.04. Last I checked it was 1.02, I wonder what they changed since...
http://202.222.30.246/touhou105/download.html

I have some bad news, ben. I spoke too soon at 11:30 and it looks like you'll have to partner with Colin this week. :O I've made plans to meet up with an old high school friend who I haven't seen since, uhh, high school. Although she's a gamer so maybe I can pull a Mike+crew and force to to come watch me play. XD

OH WELL WE'LL GIVE everyone ELse a chance to win ya?

Sorry.

Edit:
I found IAMP to be more like a standard fighter than SWR, and it was a bit harder to play. KINDA similar to how melee is to brawl?

You can try this torrent for SWR, but it doesn't look too lively.
http://www.mininova.org/tor/1493012
What your suppose to do is tell your friend "I spam turtles 4tw, does that turn you on?"
if she says:
-"Yes", marry her and then proceed to get yourself some because she is turned on already
-"No", smack her in the face and then come to the bi-weekly
-"wtf?", you can explain, or bring her to the bi-weekly
- "No, I think his turtle's priority is cheap as it takes priority over most moves in the game", take her to the bi-weekly.

PND

Smash Champion
lol :chuckle:

For the record, we didn't force them to come. They forced us to bring them. (That sentence was terribly worded.)

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Change in plans, the moment you meet her Andrew, drop to your knees and beg for her to come with you :p.

buenob

Smash Lord
ok well i think colin is out, he has to work... so there's 2 more spots open for singles and I need a teams partner...

andrew was the king, i was the ace, so our team name will be somethingAce lol... any takers?

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
To anyone in Ottawa who plays Melee and would like to travel. Would you be interested in coming to a tournament in the GTA area? :] you know you want to. I'm looking at you Cbone, Phrozn and stuff.

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
WTF! O_O Why haven't you said anything?! Lanowen, Sanuzi and like.. some others go there. How about Dan? Wheres he nowadays?

Man, I'm so amazing, getting Cbone out to respond to me in less than 10 mins.

Cbone

Smash Journeyman
i r bored waiting for CS class =P so Yeah, Dan is in Oshawa so we are both relatively close to TO. Lanowen and people in waterloo! if you see this tell me where you are staying.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Ian: You guys have a class on Counter Strike!? ****, university really does kick ***!

By the way Randy, my brother and I are Team Niko, regardless of what he says. He doesn't get a say in things since he broke my computer.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Ian: You guys have a class on Counter Strike!? ****, university really does kick ***!

By the way Randy, my brother and I are Team Niko, regardless of what he says. He doesn't get a say in things since he broke my computer.
Its too late, I told Ariel the same thing...you guys are team "QQ why isn't Onett a counterpick stage T_T" geez, how many times tdo I have to tell you?

arsenic41

Smash Ace
On a completely different note...I might be willing to switch up teams for this next bi-weekly, I would like to explore different possibilities for teams, although this might mean that we won't win, but it would be a fun experience and potentially a new devastating team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom