• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Ontario Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

flash7

Smash Journeyman

jan

Smash Cadet
I'm up for some GGPO Dungeons and Dragons beat 'em up action! I remember it being pretty good. I'm also up for 3rd Strike, even though I use the keyboard.

Suo, if you ever come to a Smashfest, I can lend you a PS2 -> USB adapter. Harold's got it at the moment, but I doubt he's touched it since the arcade stick came in. I think they're about $15 online, but you (or anybody here, for that matter) can try it out if you like.

eternalgamer

Smash Apprentice
Just take a random bus and hope that it leads you to the right place, if not just believe in the heart of the cards. All you ever need is friendship!

My b-day is coming up and if you guys ever need any ideas for gifts, get me the Captain Falcon suit!

infomon

Smash Scientist
Thanks all for a hilarious evening of smashin'.

PangyLand: Sorry you couldn't make it, I couldn't offer a ride cuz I had to take my brother from opposite end of town... PM Fogel for directions for next week I guess!

Fogel

Smash Lord
Waiting until the day of to get directions == a bad idea. I work, and don't always have time to check smashboards the day of the tournament.

eternalgamer

Smash Apprentice
This Smashfest was pretty fun but where the real fun was was upstairs. Its a shame you guys missed out.

buenob

Smash Lord
haha well i guess i'm in for the epic rock stacking tech's... ima go top tier and draw all white pieces on your *****, with one gold for points

also, wth is up with those controlls?? all jump... y is block?.. lol

buenob

Smash Lord
bwahahaha... >_< indeed...

someone should put together a 'brawl combo' video with 100% joel combo's in it

arsenic41

Smash Ace
That would be pretty lol.

On to a more serious note, the bi-weekly registrations:

Participants (singles, 3 spots left):

Arsenic
Fogel
IvanEva
Fox
Retlaf (waiting list)
SAUS
Haze
HiDef
Nukls
PNDMike
Suo
Zylem (OMG HE BACK!!)
Linkshot
Pat

Doubles:
Team NeverGonnaGiveYouUp (Fogel + Fox)
Team SAUSenic (Arsenic + SAUS)
D4 (Haze + HiDef)
Team QQ why isn't Onett conterpick T_T (IvanEva + Zylem)
Boy Scout Camping Trip (PNDMike + Nukls)
Team *no name* (Pat + Linkshot)

Other people considering entering will have to post on SWF by Friday.

Stages (These will not change until the next bi-weekly):

Neutrals:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville

Counterpicks:
Rainbow Cruise - Melee
Delfino Plaza
Squeege's Mansion
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Castle Siege
Jungle Japes - Melee
Brinstar - Melee
Pokemon Stadium - Melee

Banned:
Distant PLanet
Hanenbow
Corneria - Melee
Bridge of Eldin
Green Hill Zone
Mushroomy Kingdom
Mario Circuit
Rumble Falls
Pokemon Stadium 2
Spear Pillar
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld
WarioWare, Inc.
Onett - Melee
Summit
75m
Mario Bros.
Flat Zone 2
Pictochat
Green Greens - Melee
Pirate Ship
Shadow Moses Island
Green Hill Zone
Temple - Melee
Yoshi's Island - Melee
Big Blue - Melee

Entry Fee:
-$3 per person for singles
-$4 per team for doubles

Rules:
-Standard 3 stock 7 minute matches, Bo3 for bracket matches, Bo5 for semi-finals and finals and Bo5 Grand Finals.
-Johns will lead to inevitable taunting (do so at your own risk).
-Victory dances are allowed, but you will look silly, so do so at your own expense.
-Any mention of Marth being a guy will be revoked of taunting rights, and will be laughed at (<3 Fan).
-High intrest bank loans compounded hourly are neccessary for competing (again...<3 Fan).
-Any burn mentioning a forefeit will win a gold star in my heart.
New Rule
- Any player showing unsportsman like conduct (douche baggotry) during the bi-weekly will be will be removed from the brackets and banned from the next bi-weekly (just for you Harold <3).

IMPORTANT NOTE

the tournament will start at 7:30 in hopes of ending soon enough to get a doubles started, so get yo ***** to Cam's by that time participants.

infomon

Smash Scientist
New Rule
- Any player showing unsportsman like conduct (douche baggotry) during the bi-weekly will be will be removed from the brackets and banned from the next bi-weekly (just for you Harold <3).
No, no, no. You're supposed to go right out and say "No peeing on opponents during or after a match". We have to make sure that newcomers know exactly what to expect.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Regarding those Melee 'combo breakers': They remind me of why I prefer Brawl over Melee. I hate seeing the characters plummeting so quickly to their deaths from gimps. I guess the best combination would be having Melee's land speed but with Brawl's air speed over the pits. It could be wind or something (as a lame explaination). Oh well, doesn't matter; Third Strike is still the best.

I'm down for the Biweekly. Lucas'll be in a Marth/ROB-killing mood!

Nooooo, Randy! You've taken away my secret weapons for the tournament!

infzy: No, it's good that he lumped everything into 'unsportsmanlike conduct'. If I couldn't just pee on them, I'd probably do something else.

// ********************** READ AND COMMENT \/ ************************

Lastly, I propose to have Onett moved from a banned level to a counter pick one. It's not a level that you can easily run away on since the middle platforms break easily, leaving it open, wall infinites are voided out by the cars - which DON'T kill, boring camping is harder since the two houses act as cages keeping the fighters close to each other, and waiting at the screen edges isn't a problem because of both the cars and the walls - both characters on either sides, when at the edges have something. Also, Ness lives there, the music rocks, and until we see something absolutely terrible happen there I feel that we should incorporate it as a counter-pick level. It's inclusion, given that it's not a recovery-based level, would, I feel, help to even the characters out a little bit, giving some of the less viable ones a better chance.

// ********************** READ AND COMMENT /\ ************************

arsenic41

Smash Ace
// ********************** READ AND COMMENT \/ ************************

Lastly, I propose to have Onett moved from a banned level to a counter pick one. It's not a level that you can easily run away on since the middle platforms break easily, leaving it open, wall infinites are voided out by the cars - which DON'T kill, boring camping is harder since the two houses act as cages keeping the fighters close to each other, and waiting at the screen edges isn't a problem because of both the cars and the walls - both characters on either sides, when at the edges have something. Also, Ness lives there, the music rocks, and until we see something absolutely terrible happen there I feel that we should incorporate it as a counter-pick level. It's inclusion, given that it's not a recovery-based level, would, I feel, help to even the characters out a little bit, giving some of the less viable ones a better chance.

// ********************** READ AND COMMENT /\ ************************
not going to happen :p.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
on a moar serious note, I shall consider what you say and make the changes accordingly.

buenob

Smash Lord
i'm in for bi-weekly, and team with retlaf as team kingAce (if kingace reads this, i'm sorry for not living up to expectations last week... i was in a hurry to leave and get drunk so you'll have to excuse us)

also, i'll know on monday but another friend of mine might want to come to play next friday, colin, jason's brother (azreal's brother) depending on his schedule... this is just a heads up on that and if it fills up before i know if he can come then he's out of luck, but if otherwise i'll be signing him up too)

on a complete side note i just cabbed home with an 'aggro wh0re' (PA reference) but **** that was weird... amazing how 'big' a fee a 20 buck cab ride is to someone who has no job...

buenob

Smash Lord
on another note,

if onnett is meant to 'give less viable characters a better chance' than the level is not neutral, and specifically gives advantages to some characters over others, thereby ensuring it's ban status....

arsenic41

Smash Ace
on another note,

if onnett is meant to 'give less viable characters a better chance' than the level is not neutral, and specifically gives advantages to some characters over others, thereby ensuring it's ban status....
I don't know if you read right, but Harold proposed to move Onett to counterpick not neutral.

After thinking about what Harold said, I looked back over the list of banned stages and realised that some of them are also counter pick material. But I will say this now

No Stage changes for THIS bi-weekly

so to clarify, no changes in the stages are going to happen this week, but maybe in the next one.

Anyways, I have come up with 3 stages which could be moved from being banned to being counter pick:
-Corneria (Melee)
-Pictochat
-Onett

post your thoughts on these stages and I'll consider moving or keeping them where they are.

On a completely different note, some guy puked inside my apartment and I had to clean that **** up, it was nasty.

eternalgamer

Smash Apprentice
Anyways, I have come up with 3 stages which could be moved from being banned to being counter pick:
-Corneria (Melee)
-Pictochat
-Onett
If you bring Pictochat out of ban you might as well put Spear Pillar too :p You all know that the stage doesn't pick favs and hates all players equally. Also Onett is bawls too and Harold has a trick up his sleave with Onett if he wants to counterpick it. I know your douchebaggery Harold! Plus I don't like the walls in Onett :ohwell:

infomon

Smash Scientist
I think one of the main reasons Spear Pillar was banned is because it's really easy (and/or optimal) to just circle around the stage until time runs out.

Divine_Haze

Smash Journeyman
Count me, knuckles and HiDef in for the bi-weekly. Dunno bout PND since none of us can talk to him lol. ME and HiDef will be doubles partners again, with the team of Diddy and 3DDD otherwise known as team "DeeDeeDeeDiddidy". If PND is down, then him and knuckles will be boy scout camping trip as per usual.

On another note, I can bring munchkin, with all but one of the expansions. Anyone down?

eternalgamer

Smash Apprentice
I think one of the main reasons Spear Pillar was banned is because it's really easy (and/or optimal) to just circle around the stage until time runs out.
I really hope you didn't think I was serious... I love the stage but come on.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
I dont think pictochat can **** you as bad as spear pillar but I havent had much play on it. Also the bottom part is like a mini-Hyrule with all the teching, although you can argue that its similar to luigis mansion but I think the main reason for mansion being in is because it is destructible.

I kinda do have a feeling Harold has a trick up his sleeve but his points are still pretty valid. I personally hate corneria but its not that bad I suppose, just gotta be careful so as not to be ***** against the wall.

FFYF had pirate ship as cp, any thoughts on that?

arsenic41

Smash Ace
The thing I considered about Pictochat was that It's flat with no walk off edges, so it is basically an FD with stage hazards that affect every equally. Where as Spear pillar is a two layered stage which enables camping, and as Orlando said the bottom layer has a Hyrule Temple feel to it. And Old Manondorf is OP on that stage.

I personally don't like Pirate Ship, so unless my mind changes along the way, I won't be putting that on the list.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I dont think pictochat can **** you as bad as spear pillar but I havent had much play on it. Also the bottom part is like a mini-Hyrule with all the teching, although you can argue that its similar to luigis mansion but I think the main reason for mansion being in is because it is destructible.

I kinda do have a feeling Harold has a trick up his sleeve but his points are still pretty valid. I personally hate corneria but its not that bad I suppose, just gotta be careful so as not to be ***** against the wall.

FFYF had pirate ship as cp, any thoughts on that?
Pirate Ship has water. And water means getting owned. That's all I have to say. Also, killing hazard.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I really hope you didn't think I was serious... I love the stage but come on.
D'oh >.> you got me.... lol

As much as I dislike Pirate Ship and Pictochat, I don't see why they're ban-worthy. Interestingly, SBR puts Onett on their Counter/Banned list. I'd love to see their explanations for all these.... but I'm not sure the discussions are made public :mad:

Also, water's not that bad afaik..... there's the stupid spike on the boat that kinda kills it tho.

Fogel

Smash Lord
I don't know if you read right, but Harold proposed to move Onett to counterpick not neutral.

After thinking about what Harold said, I looked back over the list of banned stages and realised that some of them are also counter pick material. But I will say this now

No Stage changes for THIS bi-weekly

so to clarify, no changes in the stages are going to happen this week, but maybe in the next one.

-Corneria (Melee)
-Pictochat
-Onett

post your thoughts on these stages and I'll consider moving or keeping them where they are.

On a completely different note, some guy puked inside my apartment and I had to clean that **** up, it was nasty.
I think those stages should stay on the ban list.

Corneria: You didn't hear about Chesterr vs. WarranThad at FFYF, did you? Easy wall infinites on the lower part= ban. The horizontal ships don't fly low enough to shoot you out of it, and the ships that just fly by and shoot don't come by often enough for it to be reliable.
Onett: I don't see how people think the cars make the infinites unusable; all it means is that you now have an easy way to KO people after you're done infiniting them. Even if you can't kill them, wall combo + 30+% damage from car = lame. This is actually why Onett was banned in Melee, and why it should stay banned in Brawl.
Pictochat: There is still too much random stuff going on in this level for it to see serious tournament play, IMO. Maybe the people who want it will change their minds after they lose a tourney match after getting killed by a missile or mine cart or something.

buenob

Smash Lord
100% agree with fogel on this...

also with lucas, camp on the LHS of the level, and pike thunder... pretty safely camp for the rest of the match, just gotta stall for a sec once a car comes...

also, i thought it was chester vs. rob, and that video is up on youtube

PND

Smash Champion
I don't know if I'll be able to make the biweekly this week. If I can, I'll post within the next couple of days.

I like Pictochat as CP, if you look at the hazards of the stage none of them will kill you, in fact, more often than not they save you from being KO'd (Side spikes come to mind) Even the missiles do negligible damage and set knockback, and spawn at fixed points. The only stage parts that I find extremely detrimental to combat are the whale and the blocks (for stalling purposes,) the wind, the mine cart, and the ladders. All of them easily avoided, but gimp everyone equally (Except the wind. That ruins characters with vertical based recovery aka Link) I don't see a strategy in picking this level, and doubt it would actually be counter picked, but I think the option should be available.

Pirate Ship, well, my only issue with it is the temporary low grav and when the ship beaches itself on the shore. More specifically, when the ship unbeaches itself I've seen players get stuck in the rocks and absolutely unable to avoid the hull of the ship spiking them. It happens a surprising amount in our friendlies, but stage control could remedy that (it never happens to me, so I assume it's avoidable with proper positioning. I just thought I'd bring it up) The cannonballs are easy to see coming and the flipper is easily avoided. And water gives certain characters advantages, but not overwhelming ones. I don't see water as a reason for a ban :s Besides, Delfino / Japes have water.

Onett I can deal with, but D3 = win. Until a car comes, anyway. Then he either kills you or regrabs 'till the next car breaks you out. Repeat. Softban D3 on Onett?

Corneria, I hate that level. Killzones are ridiculously short and it has a permanent wall. Plus, the offstage / edgeguarding game in this level is almost nonexistent due to the short side killzones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom