• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Ontario Canada HD Remix

joblin

Smash Apprentice
Well I have a couple of things to say there Alan.
1. What possessed you?
2. You have a DA account, nice.
3. Looks like you have a oddly clean room... weird.

buenob

Smash Lord
mike - i'm thinking of modifying my "chainthrow" rules to be "for any character, after throwing or grab-releasing an opponent, they must enter any state other than walking before grabbing again"

would this a) eliminate D3's standing infinites? (ie. does he have time to enter a neutral/ducking pose and then re-grab?)

this has huge effects on the game... temporary walls can only be combo'd against, not grab-released, and not many of the temp walls are big enough to make that a true infinite...

i dunno, it's just a simple rule that is enforceable (if proven that it is impossible, anyone claiming that they are "ducking for 1 frame then grabbing" or some **** like that would be full of it and immediately reprimanded)...

anyways, my housemate has people over so I can't test this now, and I'm sick, but this would effect d3, falco and pikachu (on spacies) the most... mostly falco would be forced to mix up the timing on pivot grabs in order to slowly move a character towards one edge, still do-able but technically hard to do...

anyways, general thoughts everyone?

buenob

Smash Lord
i'm actually serious about this... it would make the 6 char's he has a standing infinite on viable as a main, since you don't always have to worry "am I going to fight a d3?" and it would also semi-limit characters that abuse walking chainthrows, they wouldn't be able to spam it as much since they would get less throws in per distance...

i guess it comes down to how much are we willing to impose superficial rules again, so I assume you're a nay mike?

infomon

Smash Scientist
ehhhh..... I'm not sure. I'm not sure of what the effects of that exact wording would be. If the goal is to ban D3's standing infinite CG, why not just ban that?

idk. You could either say that infinites are unfair and find a way to characterize all the infinites in the game and ban that, or decide that some infinites are unfair and explicitly ban those, or say that 100:0 matchups are unfair and find a way to remove the ridiculous infinites (or simply combos!) that make them impossible...... what exactly is your goal? I'm not necessarily for/against any of this.

Hmmm lemme try again. "for any character, after throwing or grab-releasing an opponent, they must enter any state other than walking before grabbing again"

Here's one problem; there are circumstances in which the grabee can control whether or not they are air- or ground-released, in which case IMO it's their own bloody fault if they get grabbed again. I'm not sure, but it's possible there exists a pair of characters such that the grabee can control whether or not they air- or ground-release, the grabber can only regrab in one of the two cases, and they do not have time to enter a non-walking state if they want to regrab. IMO that would be a situation favourable to the grabber that would not deserve to get nerfed, but would be disallowed by your rule.

Hope that helps.

infomon

Smash Scientist
No, he's distinguishing walking from running. D3's Dthrow CG across the stage is fine in buenob's books, if I understand correctly. It's his ridiculous standing CG vs. like 6 characters that I think buenob wants to ban.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Eek. I don't think that just because Falco can spike out of his means that D3's is less potent. The knockback rises so slowly if at all, on D3. While Falco's ends quite soon.

So I think running should be included in that. You can jump, crouch, whatever other movement if you want, but running i-- oh wait. Sakurai Syndrome.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Eek. I don't think that just because Falco can spike out of his means that D3's is less potent. The knockback rises so slowly if at all, on D3. While Falco's ends quite soon.

So I think running should be included in that. You can jump, crouch, whatever other movement if you want, but running i-- oh wait. Sakurai Syndrome.
Wait...I thought we were talking about the ban on D3's standing infinites, when did falco come into the mix?

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Ok guys, if you have read the OBscene thread, you know what happened to Zaf.

Should we pull a Niko and bring some guys over?

buenob

Smash Lord
i was thinking that you would have to mix up the timing on pivot grabs to move them on direction, and it only works on some characters... basically it would incredibly nerf non-technical chainthrow-heavy styles of play... i'm not going to implement this rule until i have time to test it, which will be like next month....

infomon

Smash Scientist
"non-technical chainthrow-heavy"

lulz, not sure how you meant that to be parsed. IC CGs are very technical :laugh:

So what exactly is the OBscene rule? The one you posted in the OBscene thread?

..... so am I allowed to do Popo Fthrow > Nana footstool > iceblocks > regrab?

.......... ehh I'm rushin' outta town so it's not like I have time to learn any of this stuff anymore anyway lol, just throwing this out there :laugh:

buenob

Smash Lord
just forget it for now... I'll do the research myself and see if it's viable some other time

IvanEva

Smash Ace
"The mark of my dignity shall scar they DNA". When somebody starts a fight by saying that, you know you're in trouble (and that your opponent doesn't know what the hell he's talking about).

Suo: SFIV this Sunday?

Ben: The less/simpler rules the better so I'm thinking something simple like "No unescapable standing infinites" should suffice. The only real problem is DDD, right? I mean, Ice Climbers don't exactly lock out characters so this is just about the DDD hug-a-thons, right? If he moves one pixel (therefore making them no longer standing infinites) they're ok, if not, they're illegal. Simple.

Edit: Since I'm a bit tied up with important things like Ecclesia and IV, I haven't made a new thread picture in years. Anybody care to make one? Ben's going to lose to me in the Grand Finals of OBscene so there's no point in having ROB there anymore. :)

buenob

Smash Lord
the problem is he can move one pixel and it will be just as devastating, though it will only work on 4 not 6 of the chars

Suo

Smash Apprentice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IEiSgkOUYU

My suspicions were correct. Seth is NOT the cheapest character in sf history. He's a cheap motherfkcuer for sure, but he's got NOTHING on Gill.
I feel dirty after watching that.

Suo: SFIV this Sunday?
I am supremely busy getting ready for my audition. I probably won't even make it to obscene. Maybe I could spare like 2-3 hours on Sunday tho, my place?

P.S. Sirlin has some great criticisms of SFIV, like I love the game, but I can't really say he's wrong. As much as I make fun of him sometimes, Sirlin really does have a fresh take on game design.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Fresh? Nope. There's nothing fresh about it. I read them and I have to say that, for the most part, he has a GOOD take on game design. Every time I try to get out an ultra and it messes up I think about how Sirlin probably would have fixed that (specifically Vega's ******** ultra command). I like how Sirlin wants a fighting game to be less about tech skill and more about being your mind against your opponent's. I should get around to watching the rest of his Brawl videos.

buenob

Smash Lord
don't play SF for a few hours when you could study extra hard now/sunday and come to OBSCENE!!! it's going to be obscene!

yeah sorry, i'm sick, and your snake is a pimp

jan

Smash Cadet
Wow, I can't believe you guys actually liked Sirlin's posts on SF4!

To me, he was just being a whiny baby because it's not the way he would have made the game. He made about two good points, but the rest of it was complaining about irrelevant changes like physics and stage size. To be honest, I lost a ton of respect for him.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
Always so negative jan! Oh well. I agree with you. It's because it's not sf2. It's sort of like how Gimpyfish didn't like brawl and went back to melee.

Anyways, another random video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiCcOJ7gfyo

Sakurai in a tournament. He seems to be hardcore sandbagging. Also, the girl sucks. The comments made me lol:

omgomgomgd (1 minute ago)
**** off, scrub.

BUFFALODUDE44 (1 hour ago)
Nice video. That would be pretty exciting, I guess. :p However, that was the most disgusting brawling that I've ever seen in my life other than watching the Ice Climbers doing a chain-grab technique. I literally gagged at the site of the girl spamming PK Fire. Sorry, I had to throw that out there.

Suo

Smash Apprentice
Wow, I can't believe you guys actually liked Sirlin's posts on SF4!

To me, he was just being a whiny baby because it's not the way he would have made the game. He made about two good points, but the rest of it was complaining about irrelevant changes like physics and stage size. To be honest, I lost a ton of respect for him.
It's not so much that I liked his negative opinions on SFIV, but he does have some really valid points. Yes Sirlin can be whiny, but I kind of forgive him occasionally because more often than not he's quite insightful.

SFIV's big tagline is that it's trying to make Street Fighter accessible again, but the whole idea of 3 button ultras, the complicated motion for focus attack cancelling attacks, and the ridiculously small frame windows to link attacks together doesn't adhere to that.

I love SFIV, I think it's great, but playing Sakura, who requires a ton of really hard links just to be somewhat effective, I can't say that the game is newcomer friendly at all. I've prolly spent at least a few hours practicing only a single link, mind you it is her most important, and still am only about 50% consistent.

Nothing in 3rd Strike was that hard.

The game is great though, and I see a lot of potential within it.

He does have a point about stage size though, have you played a really good runaway Akuma? it's ridiculous.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
As an avid Street Fighter Alpha series/SF-EX+/Capcom vs SNK player here, I have to admit that Sakura using a lot of hard links isn't really anything new for her (yeah, I play Sakura, so what? lol). Now, I haven't played SFIV to be able to really say how different it is there, but just thought I'd mention that it doesn't sound like that much has changed from how she's always been when I've played her.

buenob

Smash Lord
PLEASE BRING A TV + WII + BRAWL

barring that

PLEASE BRING A WII + BRAWL!!!

if not

PLEASE BRING BRAWL!!!

there will be people to guard any un-used equipment, so if you bring it and it's extra, you won't have to carry it around all day

infomon

Smash Scientist
buenob, will you / did you get my tv from Cam's?

I prolly can't bring a second one :(

Edit: but I'm bringing my bro and I think he's bringing his wii w/ brawl

also both our wii's have homebrew channel, but we'd need an extra SD card with the replay hack on it and associated apps for homebrew or whatever....

buenob

Smash Lord
i was not at cams, so I did not get anything from him... I have 7 tv's on me, spent all night getting them too.. if the 3-4 tv's from cams can make it, that would be super awesome, but I can understand if transporting them will be an issue

Top Bottom