• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Ontario Canada HD Remix

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Dice4000 on xbox live. Add me if you want to get beat by blanka/gouken (I'm still **** until I get a stick and stop playing on the crappy 360 pad)
Sadly, I don't feel like paying Microsoft's Live fee right now so I'm without onlineness. However, a buddy and I were discussing possibly having some fairly regular SFIV get-togethers that you might be interested in joining.

Did IkeMaster not show up that Saturday at your place?

(FFYF2 stuff)
He didn't show. I haven't heard from him since.

Randy has a car so that'd take care of another three people, no?

PNDcrew: If you guys don't show we won't be Ottawa, we'll just be almost-Ottawa.

jan

Smash Cadet

IvanEva

Smash Ace
I don't recall ever seeing where he liked those things. Heck, he even got rid of the 360s in HD Remix.

Sirlin has stated multiple times that he prefers it when games do whatever they can to facilitate matches being a 'battle of the minds' rather than a battle against inputs.

More on topic: So how did everybody find the OBscene stage picks? I found it natural to have Halberd and Siege as potential starters so here's hoping that everybody starts opening up to more levels.

Slightly less on topic: Take a guess who the sixth best game developer in the world is... Oh, and don't forget to check out number 94...

buenob

Smash Lord
i liked the stage picks... I found that overall people who understood levels better than their opponent definitely had an advantage, and that is something I can get behind...

also, if you can't pull off a 360 as if it's natural, gtfo... seriously... I don't play hugo but even I can cancel his jab into the 360... "piano"ing is super easy, and honestly not a big part of high level play, most of the pro's don't do it...

i still haven't played sf4, but given a stick, i can guarantee that I'll be beating you guys after 3-4 matches... the target combo's are pretty easy to do overall, and the focus attack / cancelling is also really easy... overall, I find the game way less technical than SF2, and honestly I never got into SF2TurboHDR because of the rediculous camping//spamming//tech skill required to play at the extremely high level, and I absolutely 100% don't find that SF4 as a whole relies on tech skill over mind-games...

that being said, I still haven't played the game, but i've been in touch with some SRK members fairly regularly now, and it looks like my ken will beast once again... eventually lol... even though ryu is "better" right now, ken ftw

on topic, "PND crew" I challenge you to come out to the next smashfest... I'll give you a bottle of wine if you do? we can booze afterwards? come out or i'll kick you in the junk? lol

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Randy has a car so that'd take care of another three people, no?
Mabye, I don't have the license to be driving legally on the highways yet (even though I stil ldo) so I have to be extra carefull.

Also, I need to fix my car pretty soon because I'm getting a little over 300 kilometeres for a full tank of gas. Which is ******** and money consuming. So I don't know if my car is the best choice for transport right now.

joblin

Smash Apprentice
Also, I need to fix my car pretty soon because I'm getting a little over 300 kilometeres for a full tank of gas. Which is ******** and money consuming. So I don't know if my car is the best choice for transport right now.
Sounds like a classic case of Johns to me.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
1. if you can't pull off a 360 as if it's natural, gtfo...

2. i still haven't played sf4, but given a stick, i can guarantee that I'll be beating you guys after 3-4 matches...

3. the target combo's are pretty easy to do overall, and the focus attack / cancelling is also really easy...

4. I absolutely 100% don't find that SF4 as a whole relies on tech skill over mind-games..
1. If 360s are easy to pull off, wouldn't the best thing to do then be to make the motion much simpler? If it doesn't affect things 'that much' than the simple way is the better way. What benefit do you get from rotating the controls all the way around instead of just going halfway? If it's hard and makes it so that beginners have a very hard time it's a bad thing. If it's very easy and thus needlessly convoluted, than it's a bad thing as well. Just imagine how much Brawl would change if grabs were done with 360 motion + B button.

2. Money match? I'm sure we can find somebody with a stick you can use (Suo/Dan?).

3. How can you tell what's easy or not if you haven't played it? Some of the links are painfully strict on their timing.

4. Thankfully it doesn't. Not as a whole. However, tech skill totally determines what kind of things you'll be punishing with which plays a large role in who ends up winning.

buenob

Smash Lord
3. How can you tell what's easy or not if you haven't played it? Some of the links are painfully strict on their timing.

by talking for hours about the game with people who play the game almost 24/7...

and 360's are there so that you have to buffer them properly... it's basically there to force you to mindgames or combo into it, and reduce its ability as a punishing move... the input is like that not to reward tech skill, but to limit its use

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
and 360's are there so that you have to buffer them properly... it's basically there to force you to mindgames or combo into it, and reduce its ability as a punishing move... the input is like that not to reward tech skill, but to limit its use
Comboing into a 360 is useless, since the 360 will miss. You can only use it as punishing move.

EDIT: On the obscene stage picks, everything felt alright. I found I went to Halberd the most. I never struck it because I thought the other guy was going to >_>

Also, castle siege ftw! I took a wolf there and switched to dedede.

Yeah...

Suo

Smash Apprentice
i still haven't played sf4, but given a stick, i can guarantee that I'll be beating you guys after 3-4 matches...
I'll money match you Ben, I haven't even played in a while, but I guarantee you won't be beasting. No offence, but I just have confidence that it'll be a pretty even playing field.

The only way that the links won't take a large amount of practice to perfect, is if you played a link heavy game like CvS2. If you **** up your links, then there are no safe block strings, anything can be reversaled or jabbed out of, thrown etc.

I don't usually respond to this type of stuff, but bro this aint 3S, much much closer to ST.

Harold have you seen Watchmen yet? I'm not gonna go till after my audition stuff cools down, but I'd love to hear your spoiler free thoughts on it.

buenob

Smash Lord
lol i do play cvs2 :) not at the highest level, but I can hold my own with iori, ken, and sakura in a groove... sometimes i switch out sakura for flowy-pants Kim

I agree with a lot of things sirlin says, but sometimes I really disagree with him, and his beef with "tech skill" sometimes doesn't entirely sit with me... sure some characters _require_ you to be nimbly-bimbly with your fingers, but then there are other characters which can be played at the high level without that...

my beef with the tech skill in melee is that the tech skill created the meta-game, and it was necessary no matter what character you used...

Fogel

Smash Lord
For FFYF2, I guess I should say who I'm going to drive so that people can look into bus tickets, etc. if they can't get another lift. I saw that Ben and Andrew are trying to go to Montreal on Thursday, so I guess they have their own arragenments. So, for the rest of us...

If Randy's car is screwed, I'm going to drive him, Derek, and Phil. If Randy can drive people, we'll have to rethink things, but Randy can most likely drive those guys and I can take Ariel, Harold, and Moses with me instead. I'm hoping the PNDcrew can take a couple of people as well.

If you can drive, please post soon; we really need to work this out. It'll be cheaper for people who have to bus if they buy the tickets soon.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Hey Ben, random question since I only have CvS 1 for the DC and not CvS 2 for PS2. Does Terry still do that really bizarre "Are you okay?" bit with Buster Wolf? I swear, every time he does the move in CvS 1, I think "wtf?" :laugh:

buenob

Smash Lord
yeah he does for sure! the best is KO'ing someone with it, so that he screams it as his opponent screams in agony in reply

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Harold have you seen Watchmen yet? I'm not gonna go till after my audition stuff cools down, but I'd love to hear your spoiler free thoughts on it.
I just got back from it. What can I say? It was Watchmen in movie form. It's the most faithful adaptation of a non-movie story that I've scene (and of a kick *** story) and I really hope that it gets more people into comics. After all, comics are the best media in human history.

I have a few qualms with the movie but they're really just annoyances at the slight changes from the comic. In particular, the fight scenes are all very much extended but, in a VERY rare occurrence in movies, at least they're all spectacularly well done. They're not over the top like The Matrix and they, thankfully, don't suffer from Shaky Camera Syndrome. The director knows his stuff and it showed.

Also of note is the casting. Want to know what every character looks like? Just take a look at the comic. The casting is so faithful that it almost makes me totally unable to take just about any other adaptation seriously (especially comic book ones - just because Hally Berry is black doesn't mean she looks anything like Storm). The one big exception to that is the guy who plays as Ozymandias; he doesn't look (especially in terms of facial expressions) like the Ozy in the comic.

Sticking with the fidelity to the comic, the movie also doesn't censor any of the nudity (dude-ity), violence, or language. One sex scene in particular is rather long and overdone though.

Lastly, I should note that, being a three hour movie, I actually felt like I got my money's worth with this one. While several sections of the comic didn't make it in, the movie got so much through that, if you didn't read the comic prior to watching the movie you'd never know anything was missing. In short: go watch it!

On topic: Dr. Manhattan reminds me of Kirby for some reason. Maybe it's his "Hiiii!" kind of gaze. I dunno.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Not to nitpick joblin, but I THINK that's a girl playing in the youtube clip (and rest of them on the account as I've seen a few others). Of course, you could be referring to Remilia, and I could be looking like a total idiot right now. :bee:

joblin

Smash Apprentice
Weather or not its a girl doesn't matter. You always use the masculine pronoun to refer to both if the gender is unknown anyways so I'm still safe to say 'he' in this case. I don't really like to use 'he/she' and 'him/her', it's just a pain.

P.S. nitpicker!
P.P.S. jk
P.P.P.S. Falcon Punch!

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Well, yeah I know, I know. I just notice the small details or whatever about things when I'm bored. Don't uh...worry about it too much. But yes, agreed that it was good listening.

And did I just get Falcon Punched and live? U-wha? :scared:

joblin

Smash Apprentice
I tried to replicate this and found out that its harder than it looks and you must hit them with the Bair at the moment the opponent hits the ground to get them into what I call a pseudo lock. The hit box at the front of Captain Falcon is really small and hard to connect. To me its as practical as Falco's Laser Lock, and we don't see that being done regularly.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
I tried to replicate this and found out that its harder than it looks and you must hit them with the Bair at the moment the opponent hits the ground to get them into what I call a pseudo lock. The hit box at the front of Captain Falcon is really small and hard to connect. To me its as practical as Falco's Laser Lock, and we don't see that being done regularly.
I don't do it because I would make everyone cry and quit the game.

Translation: **** straight it is hard to pull off.

PND

Smash Champion
Out of the blue:

I had a dream I challenged Harold to SF2:THDR. Harold, get Xbox live so I can lay the beat down on you. Blanka style.

Fogel

Smash Lord
For FFYF2, I guess I should say who I'm going to drive so that people can look into bus tickets, etc. if they can't get another lift. I saw that Ben and Andrew are trying to go to Montreal on Thursday, so I guess they have their own arragenments. So, for the rest of us...

If Randy's car is screwed, I'm going to drive him, Derek, and Phil. If Randy can drive people, we'll have to rethink things, but Randy can most likely drive those guys and I can take Ariel, Harold, and Moses with me instead. I'm hoping the PNDcrew can take a couple of people as well.

If you can drive, please post soon; we really need to work this out. It'll be cheaper for people who have to bus if they buy the tickets soon.
Does nobody else have anything to say about FFYF2? It looks like a lot of people are going to have to look into bus tickets and housing on their own if they want to go down...

buenob

Smash Lord
lol it took me forever to figure out that gato's lyrics fit the tune... and by forever i mean like 3 years... so I figured that out like a decade ago :p

randy - it's totally possible to take your car to get fixed and have it ready in time to go to montreal... also, depending on exactly what's wrong (ie. if it's a part of the actual exhaust system and not the engine) it would be possible to fix it yourself... point is, unless your parents don't want to help pay for it to get fixed, you should really get on that shiz

and about FFYF2, I'm going to put the time/effort into finding my own way to the event each day, even though I'll be staying with joel the whole time... this means that i won't be taking up a spot in the car at all, so I guess I'm confirming now that I don't need transportation from anyone (unless someone wants to go up thursday and back monday lol)

IvanEva

Smash Ace
I too am in the 'too broke to bus' category. Without a ride, I'll be out. :(

PND: Sorry, I'm also too broke for Live right now. When I get back into it I'll be playing Mortal Kombat vs. DCU all day though (with the occasional HD Remix so Chun can put you in your place :p).

Yesterday I played some dodgeball with some buddies. It was embarrassing that I sucked so badly but it was great fun nevertheless. They play in some league thingy where it's $600 per team per season. With 10 people it comes to $60 per season. I think us nerds should consider one day signing up (when I get a job :p).

KnucklesTheEchidna

Smash Apprentice
I was really hoping to get to ffyf, but unfortunately, barring some financial miracle, I wont be able to take my car (and bussing is completely out of the question). It sounds like we are in a tight spot for rides, so i think im sitting this one out.

joblin

Smash Apprentice
2009 BRA
Brawl Roster Awards

Description:

It came to me that I know nothing about what others think about Brawl's characters other than what people think about Metaknight. Curious and completely bored, I decided to hold a quick survey/awards for the sake of fun and knowledge.

Instructions:
If you want to participate please PM me with your votes. Please choose a character for each. I will keep the survey open till March 15th 12:00AM and hopefully have the results the Monday.

STATUS
01.Most Powerful
02.Weakest
03.Most Annoying
04.Most Deadly
05.Hardest to Kill
06.Easiest to Kill
07.Always lose to

FAME
08.Coolest
09.Lamest
10.Best Costume