• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Ontario Canada HD Remix

IvanEva

Smash Ace
1. Anyway, DI is bull****. You can shield in the time it takes to DI. DI'ing is just taking the hit like an idiot and making sure you survive instead of blocking the hit. Besides, there's no time to DI. You get hit, and it's already too late. It's just...*Marth fSmash* Next .1 second: you're hit, DI has already been calculated. Not enough time to react.

2. My nerves are shot, and I can't take this anymore. I'm just not good enough for competitive play. Marth is broken and I can't do anything about it. I found one way to approach, but it's stupid and won't work consistently.
#2 is a result of #1. Seriously. If you want to win, and I mean actually want to WIN, you have to learn to play the game, not the non-DI game that you wish it to be. DIing is something that you do without thinking. You have to instinctively start holding to the side while you're being attacked. The best way to see its effects (and hey, it's something that you do anyway) is when you're being hit with multi-hit attacks. If you DI you'll get out much faster and it's very noticable.

Alan, if you want to get better you have to accept DI and learn to use it. Being hit usually gives you plenty of time to DI, although I agree that it doesn't actually look like it does. Also, yeah, pop on in today if you'd like. Just be sure to bring your A game.

As well, I recommend picking up Marth as a character since he has the best zoning/spacing abilities in the game. He'll help you get zoning down (which is very important) and you'll have several people who know Marth well enough to help you.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I was trying to DI, but I ended up DIing down from a missed spotdodge. And...yeah, I snapped then x.x I notice the effects, definitely. It's just hard to apply it to my game.

And I want to see how my new approach will work on Marth...

joblin

Smash Apprentice
Alan: If you're playing/training to the point where you have a break down I think it's time to hit the power button and do some (insert random event). You cannot get pro within a couple weeks unless you're asian, or in Randy's case, part asian (we all know you're as white as the rice you eat). And face it, you're a good player and I can't seem to fight your Mario. I know what you'll do but I just can't stop it from happening, lol. Also Marth was designed to be unstoppable. So don't kill yourself over it. Just face the facts and unplug the opponent's controller, works every time.

Everyone knows that DIing forward is the manly way, the Captain Falcon way. So common kids lets do the DI-Forward Dance!

I am Andrew Jobin and I approve this message.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
XD Yeah, I know my Mario rocks, but I have to pick up the pace with Lucario because he's my main. Mario doesn't have good matchups, so Lucario has to man the front. ZSS is a beast, though, and she's also a secondary.

Harold, I'll see what I can do about tonight o/ I just hate practicing against computers so much because there's no laughing at it :/

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
Alan: If you're playing/training to the point where you have a break down I think it's time to hit the power button and do some (insert random event). You cannot get pro within a couple weeks unless you're asian, or in Randy's case, part asian (we all know you're as white as the rice you eat). And face it, you're a good player and I can't seem to fight your Mario. I know what you'll do but I just can't stop it from happening, lol. Also Marth was designed to be unstoppable. So don't kill yourself over it. Just face the facts and unplug the opponent's controller, works every time.

Everyone knows that DIing forward is the manly way, the Captain Falcon way. So common kids lets do the DI-Forward Dance!

I am Andrew Jobin and I approve this message.
Arsenic here: I WAS voted "Most Non-Asian Asian of grad 2008" for Earl of March.

Fogel

Smash Lord
Harold and Orlando are right, learning DI is very important. You can't dodge everything, and you need to properly DI the hits you do take. Marth's f-smash is a perfect example; if you get hit by it and you don't DI right, you will die at early percents. It IS possible for DI to become a reflex, but it won't become a reflex until you've done it consciously many many times.

Fogel

Smash Lord
Which way do you DI when getting hit with Marth's f-smash and fair?
F-smash: DI up and slightly towards Marth. When you get fsmashed, you get sent flying away and slightly up, so you want to DI in a direction perpendicular to that. You can actually survive up until pretty high %s once you get good at DIing the fsmash on instinct :) I see lots of people regularly survive until 160-170%.

This applies to Melee too :)

If you want clarification, ask me in person and I can show you. It's simpler than I make it sound here.

F-air: DI away, otherwise you will keep getting faired.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I didn't mean the tipper, guys, and I'm confident about my skills. The tipper is so easy to DI. It's the non-tipper that ALWAYS catches me off-guard.

Anyway, yeah, the Aura guided me at Harold's tonight ^^

flash7

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for uploading the vids although some matches are missing from the bi-weekly x finals.

Edit: Im saying they werent saved so it wont be complete

joblin

Smash Apprentice
Andrew's could you go on your Wii, find the replay with G&W and the 9 Hammers, and send the replay to Jan so that he can capture it to put on youtube?

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Woohoo! Good job Jan! Videos!

... Now take that crappy one of me being gimped off! :p That was clearly before I knew what I was doing against a fan (you're supposed to DI behind it not away). How did you get them to your computer?

jan

Smash Cadet
I can upload our replays now because my brother is letting me borrow his capture card, yay! So start recording replays and sending them to me!

These replays will work with Ocarina hacks turned on, as long as the same hacks are enabled during the match and during the capture.

Harold, that was my test clip. Since it's only a minute long, it was the most convenient clip I had to figure out the capturing/converting/encoding/uploading process, which is surprisingly long and painful! YouTube really is a ***** when it comes to that... so I've grown pretty attached to that video. :)

The Bi-weekly X grand final is up (without sound for now). Do you guys have any requests for the videos like having non-Brawl music (or no music), a title of some kind, or putting in some kind of other information? A link to the Bi-weekly thread in the video description or something?

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Reminder: I'm going to host another All-Brawl tournament next Friday. 1$ Entry fee. Even if you're not too keen on items, I recommend that you enter to test out your adaptability skills as well as play/test out an arguably more entertaining version of Brawl. I can assure you that items don't change the outcome of a match as much as you'd think they do.

joblin

Smash Apprentice
Orlando: Awesome song!

Harold: They do to an extent. I died a lot faster against Fogel. Almost all the items were against me those matches and I'm pretty sure I would have been able to take off another stock without the items in my way. But I do know what you mean.

joblin

Smash Apprentice
There's a 50/50 chance I'll be at Smashfest, depending on if my Gears 2 plans fallows through. I don't have this Original Boktai game you speak of but I do have a Stock Market game! Tons of randomness and yelling out load that you'd expect from the Stock Market. Might or might not be as much fun as I'm saying.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Oh yes, so, good games last night guys. Alan, you started to really pick it up near the end. Get over tournament nerves (and play less against CPUs) and you'll do fine. As seems to be the usual in casuals, Randy was dominating with another random character (Falco).

Moses: be sure to always call/post first.

PND

Smash Champion
Oh yes, so, good games last night guys. Alan, you started to really pick it up near the end. Get over tournament nerves (and play less against CPUs) and you'll do fine. As seems to be the usual in casuals, Randy was dominating with another one of PND's characters (Falco).

Moses: be sure to always call/post first.
Fixed.

10fixes

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Oh yes, so, good games last night guys. Alan, you started to really pick it up near the end. Get over tournament nerves (and play less against CPUs) and you'll do fine. As seems to be the usual in casuals, Randy was dominating with another Character that he didn't steal off PND but in fact used him once and then decided to main him, honest (Falco).
Fixed

10lamexcuses

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
I'm up for another all-lol I guess... just don't take it too seriously harold. If you take the lol out of all-lol then you will have ruined someone's childhood.

EDIT:
That match of me was not that good, but I really love the ending. I didn't rememebr that match at first until I was walled =S

PND

Smash Champion
I missed it :(

We'll have to catch up after the tourney sometime and watch it while I fan myself with my Niagara victory spoils in the most hedonistic way possible.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Don't worry Mike, I'm not gonna be busy until (almost ironically enough) next Thursday, so I can show you on Monday or whenever you have time. I only caught part of the episode on my break before the jerks in valet decided to put the hockey game on instead, so I'll have to watch the tape in the morning.

And darn it Infzy, now I'm thinking all Pit Fighter-like and stuff.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
My Old Manondorf flew to 4th place once...but then he got his wings shot off by a well place Lazer and Gyro

buenob

Smash Lord
lol I hope that I wasn't the reason for old mannondorf to retire... dude is a beast

Suo

Smash Apprentice
Ken was so epic on Survivor, hahahahaa I actually have new respect for the dude

*survivor spoilers*
When Ken actually stood up against the guy in Tribal Council I was like 'HELL YEA KEN! YOU SHOW 'IM'

The best by far was the look he gave the camera at the end, that was like some Shang Tsung your-soul-is-mine type evil stuff. Haha, someone better gif that asap.

Top Bottom